Everything posted by knglover
-
Latest news from San Antonio
The Marlins say they prefer to stay in South Florida, but negotiations for a new stadium have stalled there. What happened to those talks with Heizenga? Welcome to the boards! My suggestion now is to go and read old threads
-
Time to get serious
Gotta love the wifes name, Nikki Cepicky
-
He made good on his word..............
He actually boots alot of balls(literally), and just has attrocious glove work. Thats what I thought. thank you for clarifying that. BTW: thank you for settling an argument in my house spike. I was watching the Witchita st. game and I thought I saw that chick give the Shocker sign but my wife changed channels so I couldn't rewind my DVR back. that is awesome and I am glad I wasn't the only person to see that.
-
Latest news from San Antonio
The viability of MLB in San Antonio in our mind is completely unrelated to their stadium negotiations with the Marlins. It is MLB and the Marlins', whom know the South Florida market as is and have explored other markets, thoughts on the market that count. And if the Marlins come back with a counter offer, there is no chance Bexar will say 'no'. They'll say yes to that, no to that and maybe to that. i dont get it...your post seems a bit vague to me...can you explain It is in response to knglover who supposes that San Antonio will be rejected as a MLB candidate, and therefore not have any of their offers considered. I think it's a bit too unfair to suggest San Antonio is not a MLB market given everything that we know. And it's certainly unfair to assume the Marlins and MLB share our conclusions. No, I think you didn't read my post right. What I said was I don't think that MLB will allow a NL team to be so close to Houston. I think there will be a team in San Antonio by 2015 but they will be an AL team, probably oakland or minn. QUOTE(knglover @ Mar 22 2006, 8:20 AM) It will be interesting to see who is the pawn here. There are really at this point only two realistic places the Marlins can go; San Antonio and Hialeah. It will be very interesting if the Marlins are using the San Antonio site to gain leverage in Hialeah or if they are using the Hialeah site to gain leverage in San Antonio. I get the feeling though that we have seen the final offer from San Antonio. If I had to choose one scenario here, I think the Marlins are going to go to Hialeah but not before they get a better deal than the San Antonio offer. They have made one offer. And now its the final offer after one offer. Laughable. What I dont think you or most people understand is that San Antonio is in a seat with all the Marbles. they know that all they have to do is probably beat the offer from S. Fla. and if they can't, then they go after minn. or Oakland. I may be wrong but dont insult me. There is no reason for it.
-
2006 ZiPS projections for the Fish
While I may not be the smartest man in the world, Isn't the accronym for Hit By Pitch H.B.P.? Please if I am wrong tell me! With that question posed and my relative confidence that that is what it stands for, How did they come up with Mike Kinkade getting hit by 26 pitches. I saw that and that is why I am doubting myself now. So please help me by telling me I am right or please correct me.
-
He made good on his word..............
To say errors and fielding percentage are an adequate assumption of a player's defensive prowess is wrong. It's as wrong as saying batting average is an adequate assumption of a player's offensive prowess. They are only measurement of one of the many defender's responsibilities, and in the case of a middle infielder, and not the most important of them. Range is what counts. The measure of a player's ability to cover the most expanded ground of the entire playing field. The difference between an out and hit. Stopping or deflecting balls into single rather than doubles into the gap is important as well at such a position. What use is a surehanded player at a position responsible for covering much territory if he can't cover that territory anywhere close to league average? Not much better than putting up a trash can and some scaried kid with his glove held high, his eyes shut and his feet frozen to the ground. Those that care about placing a credible number to defensive ability have come to the conclusion that this is an inadequate measurement of defense and have developed better models in their mind, which suggest there is little to no difference between Soriano and Vidro. While I dont totally disagree with what you are saying about Errors and Fielding being the tell all be all stat about a fielders ability, I am having a difficult time agreeing with you in this instance. It sounds like you are saying that because Soriano has such great range alot of his errors are "forgivable" because the errors he commits would be base hits if other fielders were at the position. I don't buy that in this instance if that is what you are saying. In my opinion, if he is quick enough to get to the ball with his freakish range, he should be just as quick to get it to first to make the out. He is fast, I will give you that, but if he is that much quicker to get the ball than that means he is making the transition from glove to hand and hand to first with the ball at the same rate and time as other second basemen in the league. He only had to travel further to get the ball. With that in mind, His range should be something that helps his fielding. If I was able to find the stats I would be willing to say that a majority of his errors were of the throwing variety. If anyone has proof I would like to see those stats
-
He made good on his word..............
Also, just saw on ESPN where they say No-Show had like 105 E's since 2001. That's the most in the Majors for 2nd basemen Ladies and Gentlemen. They showed Vidro's E total but I didn't see what it was, but I do know that it was only like 30 since 2001. Yeah I realize that he missed alot of time last year but still, 70 less. Ok, so the grounds of the arguments of those that say Vidro is just as bad a fielder Soriano just got a little less sturdy. Nevermind that Vidro has been injured many of those seasons. Errors and fielding percentage only measure a player's ability to successfully convert a ball that he has reached into an out that should be out. But there's more to defense than simply fielding. Under that premise a metal trash can could be a Gold Glover. The more advanced defensive metrics, which measures everything from range to expected range to out success rate broken down by league average, position average and run value, conclude that neither are very good defenders. Range Factor, Zone Rating, Ultimate Zone Rating, Probablistic Model of Range, Fielding Runs. All conclude that they are on par with eachother, with Vidro slightly ahead in some and Soriano slightly ahead in others. You got something against Plastics?
-
Latest news from San Antonio
I get the feeling though that we have seen the final offer from San Antonio. No! Everything is at a stand still, I'll admit, until the results are known if SA is a viable market. However, in the event SA is MLB viable markets, then the offer bidding war hasn't even begun. :o I see by your name where your loyalties are, I just dont see the San Antonio Deal going through. Call it Blind Faith or what have you. I think also something that we are not taking into condsideration is the fact that I am not so sure that MLB will allow two National league teams to be so close. The trip from Houston to San Antonio can be made on highway 90 in less 2 hrs 45 min. I know, I know........There are shorter distances in between National league cities. New york and Philly is the shortest by far with Only 97 miles seperating them. The exception here is that those cities are so much different from each other. Its almost like two different worlds. With San Antonio and Houston, they are all that one "Everything is bigger in Texas" Mentality. You can argue with this till you are blue in the face but I have spent extensive time in all four cities mentioned above and you won't convince me otherwise. I just feel that a team in San Antonio will struggle to find an identity enough to crawl out from the Astros shadow. Just my take.
-
Help me do a rudimentary market study
1) Do you collect comic-books? no 2) Do you collect sports cards? yes 3) If you went to a store that sold both, would you be more inclined to buy sports cards when getting comics or vice versa? no 4) If you collect comic books, what do you look for? IE: new, bronze-age, silver-age, golden-age, trade paper-backs. N/A 5) Is an extensive back-issue selection important for your local comic store to have? N/A 6) On average how many silver age books do you purchase per year? How many golden age? N/A 7) Is CGC important to you? N/A 8) When purchasing sports cards, do you buy packs, boxes or raw cards? Pack or Boxes 9) Is getting a graded card (BGS, PSA, etc.) important? Sometimes 10) Do you live in Palm Beach County? NO 11) How far would you travel to go to a 'good' card/comic shop? 10 Miles 12) If you were to put together a sports-card/comic shop, what would be the feature you would make a priority? Knowledgable Staff 13) And lastly, do you use eBay to get most of your cards/comics? No Sorry if I couldnt answer alot of your questions
-
He made good on his word..............
Also, just saw on ESPN where they say No-Show had like 105 E's since 2001. That's the most in the Majors for 2nd basemen Ladies and Gentlemen. They showed Vidro's E total but I didn't see what it was, but I do know that it was only like 30 since 2001. Yeah I realize that he missed alot of time last year but still, 70 less. Ok, so the grounds of the arguments of those that say Vidro is just as bad a fielder Soriano just got a little less sturdy.
-
Latest news from San Antonio
It will be interesting to see who is the pawn here. There are really at this point only two realistic places the Marlins can go; San Antonio and Hialeah. It will be very interesting if the Marlins are using the San Antonio site to gain leverage in Hialeah or if they are using the Hialeah site to gain leverage in San Antonio. I get the feeling though that we have seen the final offer from San Antonio. If I had to choose one scenario here, I think the Marlins are going to go to Hialeah but not before they get a better deal than the San Antonio offer.
-
He made good on his word..............
per ESPN VIERA, Fla. -- Alfonso Soriano and the Washington Nationals were stuck in a holding pattern Tuesday. The team had a day off, and no one seems to know whether he will agree to move from second base to left field. It's not the first time Soriano's career has been affected by a proposed position change. He was a shortstop in the minors, then moved to second base late in spring training before his rookie season with the New York Yankees in 2001, when Chuck Knoblauch accepted a shift from second to left field. Soriano wound up becoming an All-Star at second for New York. Then, in 2004, he was shipped to Texas in the deal that sent Alex Rodriguez to the Yankees (where Rodriguez moved from shortstop to third base). There was talk that spring of moving Soriano to the outfield, because the Rangers already had a second baseman in Michael Young. But the day before the first full-squad spring workout, Young offered to move over to Rodriguez's old spot at shortstop. "That's the difference to me: Michael Young is the type who stepped up before we had to make a decision, when Soriano said he wanted to play second base," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Tuesday in Surprise, Ariz. "That's why Michael is such a leader on this team." Texas traded Soriano to Washington this offseason, and he was to make his first appearance in a Nationals uniform Monday night in an exhibition game against the Dodgers. He was listed on a lineup sheet in left field -- the spot Washington wants him to play -- but he refused to go into the game. Another big moment comes Wednesday, when the Nationals travel to Jupiter for an exhibition game against the St. Louis Cardinals. Soriano is expected to be penciled into the lineup in left field again. "The next step is to write his name in the lineup for Wednesday's game and see if he will show up in Jupiter and go out and play the outfield," Nationals manager Frank Robinson said after Monday's 11-5 loss to Los Angeles. Soriano's refusal to play in the game prompted Nationals general manager Jim Bowden to threaten putting Soriano on the disqualified list, which would prevent him from playing, accruing service time and receiving his $10 million salary. Fantasy Take [Alfonso] Soriano's not going to retire, but his refusal to move to left field from his normal second base could get him a permanent spot on the bench. As a result, if you're drafting a team today, you must factor that in, meaning Soriano is likely to slip a bit. "It is a distraction. Absolutely," Robinson said Monday. He wasn't at Space Coast Stadium on Tuesday -- Robinson said he'd be playing golf -- nor were many people associated with the team. If Soriano is disciplined, the players' association could file a grievance. "We've been in touch with Soriano and his representatives and we're gathering the facts," said Michael Weiner, the union's general counsel. Bowden didn't immediately return a phone message, nor did team president Tony Tavares. Alfonso's agent, Diego Bentz, didn't respond to an e-mail. "We have compassion for his position on where he's coming from, but we have a job to try to win baseball games with the team we have," Bowden said Monday. "We're not going to give the player away."
-
He made good on his word..............
Wow!!!! I had no idea that this issue would be such a powder keg. I see where those that disagree with me are coming from and they have some good points. I have one question that may settle this dispute once and for all. This seems like this will go to some sort of arbitration and I will bet my bottom dollar that this question will be asked in that process, so here goes............................. Are there any provisions or stipulations in Alphonso soriano's contract that says he has the right to refuse to play if he is not playing second base? The answer is NO..........I would bet every cent I have to this!!!!! No-Show, get your ass in left and play some ball!!!!!
-
He made good on his word..............
Its really starting to pi$$ me off that the Marlins are on ESPN and the Scroll across the screen has the No-Show story on every 10 freakin seconds. re-irritates me everytime I see it!
-
He made good on his word..............
Maybe Soriano doesn't think the move will help the team. Maybe he thinks he's a better player than Vidro. Maybe he doesn't care to play for an a**hole(s). Funny you should mention that. Jeff Brantley was just talking about what a bad second baseman Soriano is. By making Vidro move would be hurting the team. Apparently, Soriano is such a bad second baseman that the Yankees and Rangers have both asked him to move at one point, and he refused each time. This time Bowden isn't giving him the option, which I love... And again dude. how would it look if you went into work and your boss asked you to do something different and you said no... Thing is, he never asked or wanted to play for that boss. And then there's that whole thing about Hall of Fame type production from a second baseman with good enough defense. Something tells me that's a little harder to replace than any middleman who has to answer to a boss. No disrespect intended, but from what you are saying, I can't help but state the obvious here. This seems to be a class issue now. Those of you that are defending Soriano, or No-Show as I am refering to him from now on, I get the feeling that you are the ones that hold these players on such high pedestals. I totally agree with Marlins Giants analogy here. A boss is a boss whether you work as an athlete, systems analyst, or whopper flopper. We are all asked to do stuff that is unexpected, unwarranted, and unappreciated. This is just an instance where the roles are brought back to where they should be. The boss taking control of his workers instead the workers controlling the boss. We have to remember that these guys are no different than any of us. They just have talent in areas where we lack. If you still feel that these guys are better than anyone else, I implore you to read Jorg's Journal. There isnt a more down to earth guy on this site.
-
He made good on his word..............
As I said before, I do feel a little bad for Soriano because no one really likes being told they aren't good enough for something. However, at the same time I feel like Bowden, Whom I kinda like, made this trade to improve the team without ever thinking of the individual players feelings. For this I applaud him, because I am really finding it hard to root any single players anymore. This is exactly what happens when a GM steps up and says I am not appeasing a single player just to make him happy. I am here to win games. Play here with us or start packing. Frankly I think sports would be alot more fun if more GMs would follow suit. Lets remember two things here in closing. 1. Soriano is refusing to play a GAME which he is getting paid 10 million dollars to play. Any of us would gladly play for .00001% of that. I know I would. 2. Bowden is not a bad guy for making this trade. He was doing his job, which is to improve his team. He isn't refusing to that. While I feel bad for Soriano to some extent, I refer myself back to the first thing to remember. Soriano is a special player, that I have know doubt. That is why I have no animosity towards Bowden for making this trade.
-
He made good on his word..............
VIERA, Fla. -- Alfonso Soriano refused to play the outfield for the Washington Nationals in what was supposed to be his spring training debut Monday night, and general manager Jim Bowden said his biggest offseason acquisition will go on the disqualified list if he doesn't agree to switch positions this week. "The player refused to take the field, which we believe is a violation of his contract," Bowden said. Soriano, an All-Star second baseman, was listed as batting leadoff and playing left field on a lineup sheet posted in the Nationals' clubhouse before Monday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. But when the Nationals took the field in the top of the first, Soriano wasn't there. Brandon Watson replaced him in the lineup, playing center field, and Ryan Church shifted from center to left. The Nationals already have an All-Star second baseman in Jose Vidro, so they told Soriano they want him to move to the outfield, and he indicated he doesn't want to do that. But Monday provided his most concrete -- and visible -- objection. When Soriano first reported to camp last month, the question of whether he would accept the switch was left open until his return from the World Baseball Classic. Soriano played for the Dominican Republic, which was eliminated in the tournament semifinals Saturday. He joined the Nationals on Monday and worked out with teammates in the afternoon, but he wouldn't speak to reporters. The Nationals acquired Soriano, a four-time All-Star at second base, from Texas in a December trade that sent outfielders Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge and pitcher Armando Galarraga to the Rangers. After the deal, Washington made it clear that Vidro would keep his spot at second; Soriano made it clear that he wasn't happy. Soriano lost his arbitration case this winter and is due to be paid $10 million this season, still a record for the highest salary awarded in arbitration. The Nationals are off Tuesday, then travel to play the St. Louis Cardinals in Jupiter on Wednesday. If Soriano refuses to play in that game and again at home against the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday, the Nationals will take action. "We told him if we get to Thursday, and he refuses to play left field, we told him at that point we will request that the commissioner's office place him on the disqualified list, at that time -- no pay, no service time," Bowden said. "If he refuses to play and goes home, and the commissioner's office accepts our request to place him on the disqualified list, then at that point, if he were to sit out this year, he would not be a free agent, he would stay our property because his service time would stay the same." Nationals manager Frank Robinson sat down privately with Soriano for 20 minutes before the game Monday to explain the team's position. "If he's going to play here, he's going to have to be out in left field," Robinson said. "He said he's ready to play, he needs to play, he's ready for the season, and I penciled him in the lineup in left field." Robinson said the meeting with Soriano was civil, but the player's position was clear. "He's very sensitive, and he has a mind-set," Robinson said. "He lets you know how he feels." Trading Soriano, already a possibility, becomes more likely now -- with less than two weeks remaining before Opening Day. "He's going to play left field. He needs to be out there now the next couple of weeks to play, and if he's not going to play for us, we need to know so we can go forward," Bowden said. "We obviously will field offers, but we're not going to give the player away. If we can make a deal that makes sense, we will." While I feel bad in some ways for Soriano, he must know that it is for the team. No man is above the team and I have to respect Bowden for that. I love the last paragraph that says no play, no pay! I also have to respect him for saying that they wouldnt just give him away. Good job Jim!!!
-
Today is the off day..................
Anyone see a possible move being made today for some new guys. I don't know if this traditionally the case in Spring training. What do you guys think?
-
A.J. Burnett's injury
from Rotoworld.com "The Jays believe A.J. Burnett's soreness today was caused by the breakup of scar tissue in his elbow from his earlier Tommy John surgery. That'd certainly be the best-case scenario. If the Jays are right -- the MRI seems to support them -- Burnett might available during this first week of the season. He'll be shut down for five days and then resume his normal throwing regimen. "We hope so, we hope he can do that," GM J.P. Ricciardi said. "Obviously, we're going to err on the side of caution." Mar. 18 - 9:31 pm et " This sounds awful. I mean if this what really happened I am glad that he will be ok but something has changed drastically in his approach or delivery for him to just now break up scar tissue. Also something that would bother me is that the body produces scar tissue around areas of injury in an attempt to strengthen them. If he is breaking scar tissue in a surgically restructured elbow, he is seriously compromising the rest of the elbow itself. Good luck AJ, I hope turns out well.
-
Whats happened?
:banghead :banghead :banghead I deserve all of this ridicule. :banghead :banghead :banghead
-
ATLANTIC MULTIPURPOSE SPORTS ARENA
then print it out and take it with you when your on the bowl. I never have to use the restroom, I merely concentrate really hard and all is cleared!
-
UK Will Not Go to War in Iran
Could you tell me what show Sheehan said these things on? I'm pretty sure it was Scarborough Country with Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. It was on at 9pm or 10pm last night. _________ On the subject of a draft we wouldn't need one. Our army is close to 2 million and close to the size of the Iranian army. Strategists think there would be mass surrender like there was in both Iraq wars. Not to mention that are army is the most technologically advanced and could bomb all the military establishments and kill 1/2 the military that way. The problem would then be establishing security quick and policing the country. Oh..you mean Iraq part 2? Yeah..thats EXACTLY what this country needs right now. :banghead I think a war with Iran would be horrible but it's entirely possible, and the army is capable of doing it. It would be very possible to get it done but with enlistment numbers down. I dont think it would be very smart. I think you would see our technological abilities dwindle very quickly. Just a logistics nightmare! It is not something I want to think about right now. Also, it would not be a war with just Iran, It would basically be a war against all Islamic countries because Iran has alot of islamic allies
-
Whats happened?
The hitting is catching up with the pitching. You have to remember that a majority of our guys played in winter leagues and didn't really have a break, so they came into the season pretty much ready to hit. The other teams older players are getting back into the swing of things and seeing our pitchers better. realistically: This is what we should be getting used to for the rest of the season. I, for one, am still excited because we are going to see baseball the way it is meant to be played. No pre-madonnas
-
Burnett exits game with injury
I don't wish injury on anyone and I hope he is all right. I must say though that KARMA comes back on everyone.
-
ATLANTIC MULTIPURPOSE SPORTS ARENA
is there a cliff notes version? A little too long to read for my taste.....summary?