Everything posted by knglover
-
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE
Dont forget to vote for some fish today if you havent already. You have until 11:59 PM tonight to do it. Do it the 25 times please so we arent dissapointed when they tally the final vote.
-
We all know MLBTR is questionable
Bill Hall Hopes For Trade According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, third baseman Bill Hall would prefer to be traded. He's unhappy about losing playing time to Russell Branyan, and believes his willingness to switch positions in each of the last two seasons should've bought him more latitude. Hall, 28, is hitting .225/.295/.418 in 201 plate appearances. He's a year removed from his last .800+ OPS month. Would positional stability help Hall return to his 35 home run form? Will any team have the patience to find out? Hall earns $4.8MM this year, $6.8MM in '09, and $8.4MM in '10 (with a $9.25MM option for '11). I can't imagine much of a trade market for him given his recent hitting. Can you think of a team with a need at third or short that would make sense for Hall? I know, I know. Before any of you jump on me that Cantu is our 3rd basemen and Hall's number are less than desirable, I think with a scenery change and regular playing time Hall can get back to his once great form. He's only 28 and can stroke with the best of them when he is on. I doubt it would happen but the fish would be silly not to at least inquire. Who knows, maybe hall could play a little OF as well.
-
Greatest hitter to ever wear a Marlins uniform?
Im really shocked that no one has said Devon White either
-
May 2008 Marlins Video
Awesome video man! I for one, love the scottish theme. Those people's music just bleeds fight and pumps me up when I hear it. On a side note, ending that video with uggla going into the stands was great and I watched that part over and over again. Its great to see fans stay out of the way of the home team near the seats.
-
Broken Bat Conspiracy?
Here's an interesting article from Popular Science with corresponding research data: She blinded me with science! ?We found that the batted-ball speeds were essentially the same for the two woods,? Sherwood said. ?Maple has no advantage in getting a longer hit over an ash bat.? - Jim Sherwood, the director of the Baseball Research Center at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell At least we know with ball players sometimes superstition wins out over data. I know this is off topic but i just stare at your avatar for like 2 mins everytime i see it. fat people gettin "jiggy wit it" is hilarious!
-
Postgame Thread 5/11/08
Just a quick note on the game today. I think it was the end of the 7th or 8th and Hermida caught a flyball right near the line and ran past about 25 Nats fans to throw me the ball and also thanked me for the support as he ran by. Great experience and I think these guys are really anxious to get their fanbase something to cheer for. Awesome game to see in person too!
-
Things to make this team better
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wait til a change is needed before you make it
-
Positive, Negative Media Spin
Why bother posting negative remarks on the board? Instead of being so oppressively pessimistic, try to enjoy the product that you get to watch. Baseball is a funny sport. Sometimes teams that should be dominant on paper, fail to fulfill on their promise. And, sometimes there are teams that come out and surprise you. Just enjoy what you have, and be optimistic about our guys. You never know, they could surprise you. When I read this I was hoping you would use the Tigers as a case in point. I totally agree with the opptomism side. I personally expected us to be fairly bad this year based on the roster, so what we are doing right now is just gravy baby! Sit back and enjoy and if at the end of the day we fall short of what the team set out to do then so be it. WE can play the what if game then, but until then enjoy the product for what it is.
-
Badenhopper.
i will be at the stadium with my broom in hand
-
Going to the game in DC on 4/10
Could anyone offer up an educated guess as to who the mitching matchup will be? Thanks in advance!
-
Andino, Badenhop sent down
plus the Marlins also placed right-handers Henry Owens, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Harvey Garcia and Sergio Mitre on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...0,1115503.story Ok guys, please excuse my ignorance here but why not put Josh Johnson on the 60 day DL. isnt he out until at least mid June?
-
Fan's Choice Bobblehead (9-19-08)
Does anyone think this could possibly be a ploy to get rid of Miguel Cabrera bobbleheads that were produced last year and not given out? Would be a perfect way to mask the fact that the team made a booboo. Create a "promotion" that lets the fans decide which player to "produce" when, in fact, they are already sitting in a warehouse. I know it sounds far fetched but this just popped into my head as soon as I started reading the thread. And no, I am not into conspiracy theories. I do believe that Oswald acted alone. So There!
-
The D-rays and Yanks.................
From Espn.com The acrimony between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays took on a new edge Friday, after Major League Baseball handed down its punishment for Wednesday's melee between the two teams. This time, Yankees general partner Hank Steinbrenner took up the charge, reaffirming the front office's support of manager Joe Girardi, backing the players and making a comment that clearly was directed at the small-market Rays. "I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point." Steinbrenner, again exhibiting his penchant for verbal jabbing, said he has been pleased by the Yankees' team-first mentality this spring, and did not want to comment on Shelley Duncan's slide -- the one that prompted the Wednesday skirmish. "Girardi has his players' back and I have his back and that's never going to change," Hank Steinbrenner said to The Post. "There are going to be problems, especially if they go after our stars," Steinbrenner added. "It's not going to be tolerated. We never have done it to them. It's just not going to happen anymore." The Yankees and Rays face each other again Saturday afternoon at Legends Field in a split-squad game. The dispute between the teams started last Saturday, when Rays infielder Elliott Johnson slammed into Yankees catching prospect Francisco Cervelli at home plate. Cervelli broke his wrist and is out for 10 weeks. On Wednesday, Duncan went spikes-up as he slid into Akinori Iwamura at second base, which caused the benches to clear and Jonny Gomes to rush in from right field to tackle Duncan. On Friday, the commissioner's office issued fines against Girardi, third-base coach Bobby Meacham and hitting coach Kevin Long; suspended Yankees center fielder Melky Cabrera and Duncan for three games each; and suspended Gomes for two games. Cabrera said on Saturday he most likely will be appealing his suspension. "All I can tell you is that I will support everything he does, and that will never change," Steinbrenner said of Girardi. "Because this is the manager I wanted, and that's not anything against Joe Torre. That's the manager we wanted at that time. Times change." Information from the Associated Press was used in this report. No matter what side you are on in the brawl, there is no amount of arguing that is going to conivince me that Hank Stienbrenner isnt a piece of shi!t. No reason to imply that you are better than anyone else because you can afford to pay your players more. What an ass!
-
Couldn't resist this one.....
So Far we have: Shelly Duncan Sam Cassell Reggie Miller I am gonna go ahead and throw Dikembe Mutumbo in the mix as well Add to this and enjoy! Just realized this is in MLB forum and not general sports. I appologize and please move if needed mod
-
The D-rays and Yanks.................
And to add to this thread, Shelley Duncan can be mentioned as one of the uggliest human beings that I've ever seen, along with Joakim Noah. lmao u can add Sam Cassell and Reggie Miller into that, always thought they looked like those mutants in Star Trek. See new thread
-
The D-rays and Yanks.................
I'm pretty sure the first bitch move was Elliot Johnson charging in with the intent to blow up the catcher when out by 10 feet in a meaningless Spring Training game. A bitch play in which Francisco Cervelli broke his wrist and quite possibly ruined his entire season. Please. If your name was Elliot Johnson and you were doing everything in your power to make the team, you'd have slammed into the catcher too. Not if I was out by ten feet in Spring Training. I don't think playing dirty and reaming a catcher when out by ten feet makes you any more likely to make the big club, or any more liked within the clubhouse (at least a veteran one), for that matter. wow what a bitch. If you want to start trouble so badly, stop hiding behind the games so called "hard play rules" and actually challenge a Ray to a fight face to face one on one. He better watch it, no doubt this kid will find himself under a pile of rays and in the hospital just like the catcher. So, Shelley Duncan is the villain for "hard play rules", going in spikes up and not harming anyone? But, Elliot Johnson is a hero to claim "hard play rules" and send someone to the hospital? And start ALL OF THIS in the first place? They're both moronic. Let's face it, the only reason this is an issue is because the Yankees player did something dumb, so their MUST be a thread about it with everyone screaming about the "damn, dirty, scumbag yankees!". Where was the false outrage with the Devil Rays when they've been playing dirty with the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Orioles FOR YEARS? Save it. Well to be honest, I started this thread because I though it was a valid and newsworthy story. Not because it has anything to do with the yankees. Now on to your point above about the plays themselves. I feel that you are wrong in your analysis. I think they were two separate plays on different ends of the spectrum. To properly analyze this you have to look at the intent of the perpetrator. In the first instance I highly doubt that Johnson intended to do any long lasting damage to the catcher. but he did and the proper response is that that type of injury comes with the position. There are collisions at homeplate and that is part of the game and I dont fault him for that! Now in what happened in this case, sliding spikes up is a premeditated act that requires body movements out of the normal sliding behavior to do and its intention is to inflict massive damage and no other reason. For this, I fault duncan 100 times more than johnson and the fact that he plays for the yanks has no bearing on that analysis. It just further proves that the Yankees organization is as classless as a team can get.
-
The D-rays and Yanks.................
Looks like its gonna be interesting to watch these series this year after all. ST. PETERSBURG -- One day after Yankees manager Joe Girardi insisted his club would not retaliate for a violent home-plate collision in Saturday's game against the Rays, both clubs spilled onto the field at Progress Energy Park in a benches-clearing incident Wednesday. In the first inning, Yankees starter Heath Phillips was ejected for throwing an up-and-in fastball to Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, grazing the batter and earning an immediate thumb from home-plate umpire Chad Fairchild. Girardi vehemently protested Phillips' ejection, at one point raising his hands to the air. Scott Patterson relieved Phillips with two outs in the first inning. "If [Phillips] wanted to hit [Longoria], he would have hit him," Yankees catcher Jorge Posada said. "You don't throw at somebody with runners on first and third." In the top of the second, the Yankees' Shelley Duncan escalated the incident by sliding hard into Rays second baseman Aki Iwamura, clearing both benches. Play halted for several minutes as the two clubs engaged in shoving, and at least one punch appeared to be thrown. Duncan, who was running out a ball hit down the left-field line that tipped Longoria's glove, was out at second base by least 30 feet. Duncan, Yankees third-base coach Bobby Meacham, Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long and Rays right fielder Jonny Gomes, who shoved Duncan, were ejected following the incident. "I just think [Duncan] tried to inflict pain on Aki," Gomes said. "That just comes second nature. I was taught all the way from T-ball to have a teammate's back. "It's a baseball field. There's fans and kids watching. I had to let [Duncan] know that's not going to fly." Duncan took a different view of his slide into second base. "I made a hard slide into [iwamura's] glove," he said. "When I'm out there playing, I like to play hard. In my head, I wasn't thinking about a message. They see me playing hard every day. "To me, there's no malicious intent at all. I just felt I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I play the game one way. I'll never stop playing the game that way." Iwamura told reporters he suffered a small cut above his right knee in the incident. Tensions ran high between the Yankees and Rays on Saturday, when 22-year-old catcher Francisco Cervelli was hit hard by Rays infielder Elliot Johnson while blocking home plate. Cervelli fractured his right wrist and was scheduled to have surgery Wednesday in New York. Girardi strongly criticized Johnson's play, calling it "unnecessary" for a Spring Training game. Phillips was starting Wednesday in place of left-hander Andy Pettitte, who was scratched with tendinitis in his pitching forearm.
-
Goodbye Brett Favre
Goodbye to a true professional. Without a doubt, he is one of only two or three people in sports today that I feel comfortable telling my kids that they can look up to. A true professional in every sense of the word and I will miss the pure joy on his face when the pack score a touchdown.
-
Quick Question for us Out-of-Towners
Is there a website that will have streaming audio of Play by Play during Spring Training? I checked MLB and they were worthless as usual. Please help I am unemployed now and technically one cat and a few surgeries away from being an old cat lady and this would brighten my day.
-
I hope the Dolphins get this guy
Parcells stated that he didnt want any thugs or hoodlums. This guy is the worst: a Thoodlum. Yeah that is extremely untrue and i implore you to produce one shred of evidence that he is the above reference. The only thing that I would even remotly fault him for is his relentless defense of Michael Vick but they have been friends ever since VA Tech. He likes to hear his voice and pump up his team which sometimes gets him in trouble in the media but WTF, the dolphins need someone to kick them in the ass on that defense.
-
Deal for New Ballpark on Table
Well That is fantastic news! I just hope that the City, County, and Front Office know that any backing away or collapse of a deal at this point will cause the fan base to go to the local liquor store not to buy booze but to request boxes to help the team pack. I am cautiously optomistic at this point because these are uncharted waters we are in. GO FISH!!!!!
-
Heath Ledger Found Dead
According to TMZ.com Heath Ledger is Dead Posted Jan 22nd 2008 4:40PM by TMZ Staff TMZ has learned that 2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY. He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime. The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams -- they separated in September, 2007. He plays the Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight." MSNBC is reporting that the actor was found, surrounded by pills. RIP
-
Wait til you "see" this
Sign him to an extension now! Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn had the same thing happen to him and look at where he is now. Yeah, makin the big bucks with the Cleveland Indians. Maybe Hendrickson should go to the slammer and cut his hair with a razor and wear leather to the mound. WILD THING!!!!!!!! YOU MAKE EVERYTHIIIIINNNNG GROOOVY!!!!!!!!
-
Joe Gibbs Retires
Most people that are not fans of the Redskins would assume that this is a sad day in Redskins Nation again. However, as a Redskins fan, I am very happy that Joe Gibbs is retiring. I feel this way not because I think he did a subpar job, but actually the exact opposite of that. When Joe Gibbs took the team over in 2004, this team was flopping in the water from the dagger of lack of fundementals that the "ole ball coach" left with them. Spurrier (I threw up a bit in my mouth when I say his name) left this team in chaos and absolute football hell. This team had no franchise face because he was so bound and determined to be that face himself. There was no quarterback because he felt he could go out there and play "a little pitch and catch" with any arm. I cringe at the thought of Wuerffel, Matthews, and Ramsey playing NFL QB still. But after Spurrier was run out of town Dan Snyder brought THE Redskins Messiah back and gave him the reins of the team. Joe Gibbs basically said at the introduction press conference that he was not brought in to win games, but that he was brought in to change the attitude around Redskins Park. He said that winning games would be the by-product of the attitude change and not the focus. It took him one year to change the attitude of the team and get rid of the trash that the previous coach had left behind but he was moving in the right direction with bringing not only good players but good leaders as well. He assembled one of the leagues most talented coaching staffs and most importantly he brought in a franchise quaterback. While history, which will only see the W-L record, probably wont be too kind to Gibbs this time, he changed this team just the way he wanted to. Just look back on the way that this team played after the death of the best player on team a few weeks ago. They played inspired football when most teams would have folded. Gibbs channeled that sorrow in his players to the football field and got those guys to leave every bit of themselves on the field every game. For that, I commend Coach Gibbs. He has righted a ship that was lost in a Maelstrom in the worst way. Coach, may the wind always be at your back and may you never lose faith. Thanks for all the memories and good luck.
-
Best All Around Players at their postion.
Has anyone thrown the name Grady Sizemore out there for CF. Guy is amazing and I can't stand the Indians. I also like holiday in LF