Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The D-rays and Yanks.................

Featured Replies

Looks like its gonna be interesting to watch these series this year after all.

 

ST. PETERSBURG -- One day after Yankees manager Joe Girardi insisted his club would not retaliate for a violent home-plate collision in Saturday's game against the Rays, both clubs spilled onto the field at Progress Energy Park in a benches-clearing incident Wednesday.

In the first inning, Yankees starter Heath Phillips was ejected for throwing an up-and-in fastball to Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, grazing the batter and earning an immediate thumb from home-plate umpire Chad Fairchild.

 

Girardi vehemently protested Phillips' ejection, at one point raising his hands to the air. Scott Patterson relieved Phillips with two outs in the first inning.

 

"If [Phillips] wanted to hit [Longoria], he would have hit him," Yankees catcher Jorge Posada said. "You don't throw at somebody with runners on first and third."

 

In the top of the second, the Yankees' Shelley Duncan escalated the incident by sliding hard into Rays second baseman Aki Iwamura, clearing both benches. Play halted for several minutes as the two clubs engaged in shoving, and at least one punch appeared to be thrown.

 

Duncan, who was running out a ball hit down the left-field line that tipped Longoria's glove, was out at second base by least 30 feet.

 

Duncan, Yankees third-base coach Bobby Meacham, Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long and Rays right fielder Jonny Gomes, who shoved Duncan, were ejected following the incident.

 

"I just think [Duncan] tried to inflict pain on Aki," Gomes said. "That just comes second nature. I was taught all the way from T-ball to have a teammate's back.

 

"It's a baseball field. There's fans and kids watching. I had to let [Duncan] know that's not going to fly."

 

Duncan took a different view of his slide into second base.

 

"I made a hard slide into [iwamura's] glove," he said. "When I'm out there playing, I like to play hard. In my head, I wasn't thinking about a message. They see me playing hard every day.

 

"To me, there's no malicious intent at all. I just felt I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I play the game one way. I'll never stop playing the game that way."

 

Iwamura told reporters he suffered a small cut above his right knee in the incident.

 

Tensions ran high between the Yankees and Rays on Saturday, when 22-year-old catcher Francisco Cervelli was hit hard by Rays infielder Elliot Johnson while blocking home plate. Cervelli fractured his right wrist and was scheduled to have surgery Wednesday in New York.

 

Girardi strongly criticized Johnson's play, calling it "unnecessary" for a Spring Training game.

 

Phillips was starting Wednesday in place of left-hander Andy Pettitte, who was scratched with tendinitis in his pitching forearm.

I'm pretty sure the first bitch move was Elliot Johnson charging in with the intent to blow up the catcher when out by 10 feet in a meaningless Spring Training game. A bitch play in which Francisco Cervelli broke his wrist and quite possibly ruined his entire season.

 

Duncan followed it up with an equally, possibly even greater, bitch move going in spikes up.

 

Both plays were rivals in lunacy and ridiculousness. It's spring training fellas, let's calm the hell down.

 

P.S. - Nice job finding the ONE picture in which Gomes looks like he did serious damage to Duncan, Orlando Rays. You've always been a spin master. :lol

I'm pretty sure the first bitch move was Elliot Johnson charging in with the intent to blow up the catcher when out by 10 feet in a meaningless Spring Training game. A bitch play in which Francisco Cervelli broke his wrist and quite possibly ruined his entire season.

 

Please.

 

If your name was Elliot Johnson and you were doing everything in your power to make the team, you'd have slammed into the catcher too.

And to add to this thread, Shelley Duncan can be mentioned as one of the uggliest human beings that I've ever seen, along with Joakim Noah.

Gomes looked like he was having flashbacks to last seasons wrassling night while the Fish were in town.

DIE YANKS DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow what a bitch.

 

If you want to start trouble so badly, stop hiding behind the games so called "hard play rules" and actually challenge a Ray to a fight face to face one on one.

 

He better watch it, no doubt this kid will find himself under a pile of rays and in the hospital just like the catcher.

I'm pretty sure the first bitch move was Elliot Johnson charging in with the intent to blow up the catcher when out by 10 feet in a meaningless Spring Training game. A bitch play in which Francisco Cervelli broke his wrist and quite possibly ruined his entire season.

 

Please.

 

If your name was Elliot Johnson and you were doing everything in your power to make the team, you'd have slammed into the catcher too.

 

Not if I was out by ten feet in Spring Training. I don't think playing dirty and reaming a catcher when out by ten feet makes you any more likely to make the big club, or any more liked within the clubhouse (at least a veteran one), for that matter.

 

wow what a bitch.

 

If you want to start trouble so badly, stop hiding behind the games so called "hard play rules" and actually challenge a Ray to a fight face to face one on one.

 

He better watch it, no doubt this kid will find himself under a pile of rays and in the hospital just like the catcher.

 

So, Shelley Duncan is the villain for "hard play rules", going in spikes up and not harming anyone? But, Elliot Johnson is a hero to claim "hard play rules" and send someone to the hospital? And start ALL OF THIS in the first place?

 

They're both moronic. Let's face it, the only reason this is an issue is because the Yankees player did something dumb, so their MUST be a thread about it with everyone screaming about the "damn, dirty, scumbag yankees!".

 

Where was the false outrage with the Devil Rays when they've been playing dirty with the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Orioles FOR YEARS? Save it.

  • Author

I'm pretty sure the first bitch move was Elliot Johnson charging in with the intent to blow up the catcher when out by 10 feet in a meaningless Spring Training game. A bitch play in which Francisco Cervelli broke his wrist and quite possibly ruined his entire season.

 

Please.

 

If your name was Elliot Johnson and you were doing everything in your power to make the team, you'd have slammed into the catcher too.

 

Not if I was out by ten feet in Spring Training. I don't think playing dirty and reaming a catcher when out by ten feet makes you any more likely to make the big club, or any more liked within the clubhouse (at least a veteran one), for that matter.

 

wow what a bitch.

 

If you want to start trouble so badly, stop hiding behind the games so called "hard play rules" and actually challenge a Ray to a fight face to face one on one.

 

He better watch it, no doubt this kid will find himself under a pile of rays and in the hospital just like the catcher.

 

So, Shelley Duncan is the villain for "hard play rules", going in spikes up and not harming anyone? But, Elliot Johnson is a hero to claim "hard play rules" and send someone to the hospital? And start ALL OF THIS in the first place?

 

They're both moronic. Let's face it, the only reason this is an issue is because the Yankees player did something dumb, so their MUST be a thread about it with everyone screaming about the "damn, dirty, scumbag yankees!".

 

Where was the false outrage with the Devil Rays when they've been playing dirty with the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Orioles FOR YEARS? Save it.

 

 

Well to be honest, I started this thread because I though it was a valid and newsworthy story. Not because it has anything to do with the yankees.

 

Now on to your point above about the plays themselves. I feel that you are wrong in your analysis. I think they were two separate plays on different ends of the spectrum. To properly analyze this you have to look at the intent of the perpetrator. In the first instance I highly doubt that Johnson intended to do any long lasting damage to the catcher. but he did and the proper response is that that type of injury comes with the position. There are collisions at homeplate and that is part of the game and I dont fault him for that! Now in what happened in this case, sliding spikes up is a premeditated act that requires body movements out of the normal sliding behavior to do and its intention is to inflict massive damage and no other reason. For this, I fault duncan 100 times more than johnson and the fact that he plays for the yanks has no bearing on that analysis. It just further proves that the Yankees organization is as classless as a team can get.

I find it comical that yankees fans are even trying to defend this

 

And in the first play, the runner was not out by 10 feet. It wa actually a pretty bang bang play and he was already running at full speed. The catcher was blocking the plate so there is nothing else he could have done. As Jobba chamberlain even said when you try and not play full speed is when you get hurt. Sucks that the yankees catcher got hurt but that is part of that position, there was no intent there whereas on Duncans play there was full intent.

"If [Phillips] wanted to hit [Longoria], he would have hit him," Yankees catcher Jorge Posada said. "You don't throw at somebody with runners on first and third."

 

lol, I'm not buying that one in spring training Jorge. :mis2

I find it comical that yankees fans are even trying to defend this

 

And in the first play, the runner was not out by 10 feet. It wa actually a pretty bang bang play and he was already running at full speed. The catcher was blocking the plate so there is nothing else he could have done. As Jobba chamberlain even said when you try and not play full speed is when you get hurt. Sucks that the yankees catcher got hurt but that is part of that position, there was no intent there whereas on Duncans play there was full intent.

 

What Yankees fan is defending what Duncan did? I called it a bitch move, lunacy, ridiculous and moronic.

 

He was out by a lot. It's Spring Training, you don't play like that in exhibition games. It's to get work in, not to try and contest a play in which you're clearly out and run the risk of seriously injuring someone.

 

The only point I'm trying to make is both players were wrong. And that these types of pissing contests in Spring Training are absolutely stupid, assanine displays of lunacy. They're pointless and have no place in Spring Training.

 

This isn't the regular season, or I'd agree with everyone in this thread.

I find it comical that yankees fans are even trying to defend this

 

And in the first play, the runner was not out by 10 feet. It wa actually a pretty bang bang play and he was already running at full speed. The catcher was blocking the plate so there is nothing else he could have done. As Jobba chamberlain even said when you try and not play full speed is when you get hurt. Sucks that the yankees catcher got hurt but that is part of that position, there was no intent there whereas on Duncans play there was full intent.

 

What Yankees fan is defending what Duncan did? I called it a bitch move, lunacy, ridiculous and moronic.

 

He was out by a lot. It's Spring Training, you don't play like that in exhibition games. It's to get work in, not to try and contest a play in which you're clearly out and run the risk of seriously injuring someone.

 

The only point I'm trying to make is both players were wrong. And that these types of pissing contests in Spring Training are absolutely stupid, assanine displays of lunacy. They're pointless and have no place in Spring Training.

 

This isn't the regular season, or I'd agree with everyone in this thread.

Actually, I've had to chew out a couple of them already. Saying that the Rays got what was coming to them. Garbage.

And to add to this thread, Shelley Duncan can be mentioned as one of the uggliest human beings that I've ever seen, along with Joakim Noah.

 

lmao u can add Sam Cassell and Reggie Miller into that, always thought they looked like those mutants in Star Trek.

  • Author

And to add to this thread, Shelley Duncan can be mentioned as one of the uggliest human beings that I've ever seen, along with Joakim Noah.

 

lmao u can add Sam Cassell and Reggie Miller into that, always thought they looked like those mutants in Star Trek.

 

 

See new thread

And to add to this thread, Shelley Duncan can be mentioned as one of the uggliest human beings that I've ever seen, along with Joakim Noah.

Nah. Joakim Noah can be passed off as "exotic".

 

Shelley Duncan is just plain Ugh Lee. :mischief

Yikes. Spring training and all it's bench clearing brawls. Anyone remember the Expos and Marlins brawl when Brad Penny was on the mound?

  • Author

From Espn.com

 

 

The acrimony between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays took on a new edge Friday, after Major League Baseball handed down its punishment for Wednesday's melee between the two teams.

 

This time, Yankees general partner Hank Steinbrenner took up the charge, reaffirming the front office's support of manager Joe Girardi, backing the players and making a comment that clearly was directed at the small-market Rays.

 

"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point."

Steinbrenner, again exhibiting his penchant for verbal jabbing, said he has been pleased by the Yankees' team-first mentality this spring, and did not want to comment on Shelley Duncan's slide -- the one that prompted the Wednesday skirmish.

 

 

"Girardi has his players' back and I have his back and that's never going to change," Hank Steinbrenner said to The Post.

 

 

"There are going to be problems, especially if they go after our stars," Steinbrenner added. "It's not going to be tolerated. We never have done it to them. It's just not going to happen anymore."

 

The Yankees and Rays face each other again Saturday afternoon at Legends Field in a split-squad game. The dispute between the teams started last Saturday, when Rays infielder Elliott Johnson slammed into Yankees catching prospect Francisco Cervelli at home plate. Cervelli broke his wrist and is out for 10 weeks.

 

On Wednesday, Duncan went spikes-up as he slid into Akinori Iwamura at second base, which caused the benches to clear and Jonny Gomes to rush in from right field to tackle Duncan. On Friday, the commissioner's office issued fines against Girardi, third-base coach Bobby Meacham and hitting coach Kevin Long; suspended Yankees center fielder Melky Cabrera and Duncan for three games each; and suspended Gomes for two games.

 

Cabrera said on Saturday he most likely will be appealing his suspension.

 

 

"All I can tell you is that I will support everything he does, and that will never change," Steinbrenner said of Girardi. "Because this is the manager I wanted, and that's not anything against Joe Torre. That's the manager we wanted at that time. Times change."

 

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

 

 

 

No matter what side you are on in the brawl, there is no amount of arguing that is going to conivince me that Hank Stienbrenner isnt a piece of shi!t. No reason to imply that you are better than anyone else because you can afford to pay your players more. What an ass!

I'm pretty sure the first bitch move was Elliot Johnson charging in with the intent to blow up the catcher when out by 10 feet in a meaningless Spring Training game. A bitch play in which Francisco Cervelli broke his wrist and quite possibly ruined his entire season.

 

Please.

 

If your name was Elliot Johnson and you were doing everything in your power to make the team, you'd have slammed into the catcher too.

 

Not if I was out by ten feet in Spring Training. I don't think playing dirty and reaming a catcher when out by ten feet makes you any more likely to make the big club, or any more liked within the clubhouse (at least a veteran one), for that matter.

 

wow what a bitch.

 

If you want to start trouble so badly, stop hiding behind the games so called "hard play rules" and actually challenge a Ray to a fight face to face one on one.

 

He better watch it, no doubt this kid will find himself under a pile of rays and in the hospital just like the catcher.

 

So, Shelley Duncan is the villain for "hard play rules", going in spikes up and not harming anyone? But, Elliot Johnson is a hero to claim "hard play rules" and send someone to the hospital? And start ALL OF THIS in the first place?

 

They're both moronic. Let's face it, the only reason this is an issue is because the Yankees player did something dumb, so their MUST be a thread about it with everyone screaming about the "damn, dirty, scumbag yankees!".

 

Where was the false outrage with the Devil Rays when they've been playing dirty with the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Orioles FOR YEARS? Save it.

 

it was a close play and elliot had a shot to make the team through it. NEVER did he intend to hurt the catcher. You could even see his shocked and sympathetic expression after the collision.

 

Now lets take the facts on Shelly:

- He will be on the Yankees roster come Opening Day so there is no need for top of the line injury risking plays

- He hinted to the media ahead of time he was going to do something

- He used his spikes on Aki with the >INTENT< of payback.

 

No matter how you or he sugar coats it, he intended to hurt Aki, he definatly would strike you as the guy who would want revenge. There is an immense diffrence in the plays. You will see Johnson's type of plays more often in spring training then Shelly's without a doubt.

 

and for the record, I try to stay away from bias wih teams, the Mets and the Cubs are the only teams I can't keep my hatred toward hidden.

 

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT34FDy9dRM

Hey, mah vid!

"Gomes-Ya-Know Count" :lol

I'm pretty sure the first bitch move was Elliot Johnson charging in with the intent to blow up the catcher when out by 10 feet in a meaningless Spring Training game. A bitch play in which Francisco Cervelli broke his wrist and quite possibly ruined his entire season.

 

Please.

 

If your name was Elliot Johnson and you were doing everything in your power to make the team, you'd have slammed into the catcher too.

 

Not if I was out by ten feet in Spring Training. I don't think playing dirty and reaming a catcher when out by ten feet makes you any more likely to make the big club, or any more liked within the clubhouse (at least a veteran one), for that matter.

 

wow what a bitch.

 

If you want to start trouble so badly, stop hiding behind the games so called "hard play rules" and actually challenge a Ray to a fight face to face one on one.

 

He better watch it, no doubt this kid will find himself under a pile of rays and in the hospital just like the catcher.

 

So, Shelley Duncan is the villain for "hard play rules", going in spikes up and not harming anyone? But, Elliot Johnson is a hero to claim "hard play rules" and send someone to the hospital? And start ALL OF THIS in the first place?

 

They're both moronic. Let's face it, the only reason this is an issue is because the Yankees player did something dumb, so their MUST be a thread about it with everyone screaming about the "damn, dirty, scumbag yankees!".

 

Where was the false outrage with the Devil Rays when they've been playing dirty with the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Orioles FOR YEARS? Save it.

You couldn't be more wrong? Or are you not wrong, just ignoring facts for your Yankee bias?

 

Johnson wasn't out by "10 feet", it was a fairly close play. And outside of that, he didn't do anything dirty, charging the catcher is a regular part of the game.

 

Do you know who was out by 10 feet? Do you know who did something blatantly dirty? Shelly Duncan.

I haven;t seen either play but if it was close, by all means he should steamroll the catcher (especially trying to make the team)....and if he was out by 10 feet you still bowl over the catcher, thats hardnosed baseball....u got to knock the ball loose........I guess I can sympathize with Ray Fosse////

 

even tho i love my Yanks I disagree with Girardi on this one ......LOL thank god it wasn't Posada

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.