Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fan's Choice Bobblehead (9-19-08)

Featured Replies

Fans, we want you to help us pick the next Marlins Bobblehead. You, the fans, will determine which Marlins franchise player is represented for the Bobblehead giveaway on September 19th during Fan Appreciation Weekend for the first 10,000 fans.

 

The Marlins have selected 15 candidates, one from each of the 15 seasons of Marlins Baseball. Check back each day to see who the new player is and be here on Monday, March 31st when voting begins! Voting ends on June 1st and the Bobblehead artist is standing by, so vote as many times as you want and let us know who should be the next Marlins Bobblehead!

Candidates announced:

 

1993 - Brian Harvey

1994 - Gary Sheffield

1995 - Jeff Conine

1996 - Kevin Brown

1997 - Livan Hernandez

1998 - Edgar Renteria

1999 - Preston Wilson

2000 - Ryan Dempster

2001 - Cliff Floyd

2002 - Luis Castillo

2003 - Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez

2004 - Mike Lowell

2005 - Dontrelle Willis

2006 - Miguel Cabrera

2007 - Hanley Ramirez

 

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/fla/fan_for..._fla_bobblehead

Wow, that's cool. When I saw the promotion, I assumed it was going to be a current player, aka Hanley Ramirez bobblehead day.

This MUST end up being Jeff Conine!!!

I hope so too, but I get a feeling Miguel Cabrera would do pretty good if he was on the list. Beckett as well.

Bryan Harvey, considering the circumstances, the single best performance by a Florida Marlin ever. :thumbup

 

Night after night, he carried this team on his back to respectability. Harvey saved 45 games for the fledgling Fish out of 64 victories with a 1.70 ERA and 73 SO in 69 innings. Without him they would have undoubtedly lost 120 games, they were that bad.

 

Among the cast of characters that year besides Weathers and Conine and Sheffield was Chuck Carr who had to the be model for Willie Mays Hayes.

 

Chuck last played in Milwaukee. "Chucky was hitting .130, with an OPS of under .400, and needless to say he was given the "take" on a 3 and 0 count, promptly popping up to kill a rally. Asked about it by reporters after the game (i.e. about not taking the 3 and 0), Chucky replied "That ain't Chucky's game. Chucky hacks on 3 and 0"."

 

 

One of the great baseball lines of all time :brigginbounce

  • Author

This MUST end up being Jeff Conine!!!

 

There's already a Jeff Conine bobblehead. It would be better if it was a player that didn't have one.

 

Agree, its going to be someone from 2003 and up most likely... I wouldnt mind seeing a Sheff one though

This MUST end up being Jeff Conine!!!

 

There's already a Jeff Conine bobblehead. It would be better if it was a player that didn't have one.

 

Good point. I guess a Migueal Cabrera would be pretty sweet. A bobblehead of Renteria getting the Game 7 winning RBI single would be pretty hot too.

This MUST end up being Jeff Conine!!!

 

There's already a Jeff Conine bobblehead. It would be better if it was a player that didn't have one.

 

Good point. I guess a Migueal Cabrera would be pretty sweet. A bobblehead of Renteria getting the Game 7 winning RBI single would be pretty hot too.

 

That would be the perfect one right there. I also wouldn't mind a Moises Alou.

Luis Castillo should be another serious candidate. The only other player to be on both 97 and 03 season.

Yeah, I think Conine was in the stands or something...

 

Rick Helling was still a street performer as well.

 

EDIT: Whoops, missed the word other. But yeah, Rick Helling was on both 97 and 03.

Bryan Harvey, considering the circumstances, the single best performance by a Florida Marlin ever. :thumbup

 

Night after night, he carried this team on his back to respectability. Harvey saved 45 games for the fledgling Fish out of 64 victories with a 1.70 ERA and 73 SO in 69 innings. Without him they would have undoubtedly lost 120 games, they were that bad.

 

Among the cast of characters that year besides Weathers and Conine and Sheffield was Chuck Carr who had to the be model for Willie Mays Hayes.

 

Chuck last played in Milwaukee. "Chucky was hitting .130, with an OPS of under .400, and needless to say he was given the "take" on a 3 and 0 count, promptly popping up to kill a rally. Asked about it by reporters after the game (i.e. about not taking the 3 and 0), Chucky replied "That ain't Chucky's game. Chucky hacks on 3 and 0"."

 

 

One of the great baseball lines of all time :brigginbounce

 

You make a very good argument for Harvey. He was one of the very few bright spots on that team. To most of us it was just so sweet we even had a team that even if we lost 120 we wouldn't have cared that much. And I was always a somewhat Chucky fan. That Willie Mays Hayes comparison could have come right out of my mouth at that time. And I always said he went to the Ricky School of Quotes.

 

But did anyone notice when the voting is? March 31st. So if I were to bet on who wins the fans' vote I would go with 9er. Signing for one day to retire a Marlin, tossing out the first pitch on Opening Day, and being known as Mr Marlin will bias the voters. Personally I don't have a pick. Really dosen't matter to me. There are some I don't want the honor to go to, but I'll still take the give away when they hold it out to me.

Let's see if we can guess some of the other ones coming up.

 

'96----Leiter

'97---Probably Livan But it wouldn't surprise me if it were CJ (remember the record?) or Brownie

'98--- tuffy but I'll go with Kotsay just because I liked the kid

'99---another tuffy Castillo only because he won the job back and stuck with it

'00---Alfonseca

This MUST end up being Jeff Conine!!!

I hope so too, but I get a feeling Miguel Cabrera would do pretty good if he was on the list. Beckett as well.

They probably will be on the list, but it doesn't matter. The Marlins are not going to make a bobblehead of a player who is currently playing on another team. This leaves Conine, and Harvey, CJ, Leiter, or Brown. Whose going to win that? This isn't even a contest. This is a marketing ploy. I bet the Conine bobbleheads are already made somewhere.

Does anyone think this could possibly be a ploy to get rid of Miguel Cabrera bobbleheads that were produced last year and not given out? Would be a perfect way to mask the fact that the team made a booboo. Create a "promotion" that lets the fans decide which player to "produce" when, in fact, they are already sitting in a warehouse. I know it sounds far fetched but this just popped into my head as soon as I started reading the thread. And no, I am not into conspiracy theories. I do believe that Oswald acted alone. So There!

This MUST end up being Jeff Conine!!!

I hope so too, but I get a feeling Miguel Cabrera would do pretty good if he was on the list. Beckett as well.

They probably will be on the list, but it doesn't matter. The Marlins are not going to make a bobblehead of a player who is currently playing on another team. This leaves Conine, and Harvey, CJ, Leiter, or Brown. Whose going to win that? This isn't even a contest. This is a marketing ploy. I bet the Conine bobbleheads are already made somewhere.

 

They made a Craig Counsell bobblehead when he was with the D-backs.

Does anyone think this could possibly be a ploy to get rid of Miguel Cabrera bobbleheads that were produced last year and not given out? Would be a perfect way to mask the fact that the team made a booboo. Create a "promotion" that lets the fans decide which player to "produce" when, in fact, they are already sitting in a warehouse. I know it sounds far fetched but this just popped into my head as soon as I started reading the thread. And no, I am not into conspiracy theories. I do believe that Oswald acted alone. So There!

Haha, that's a great theory. Even though I think they knew they were going to trade Miggie way before they came out with the promotion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.