Everything posted by knglover
-
Manny wants out
Manny does have a place down here. So I dont think he would mind playing for us. But, I think it would cost us ALOT to get him Enc Lowell AJ Prospect (like johnson/allison/stokes/tank/upper class prospect) (just not hermida) Arroyo Manny (and cash) Basically They cover half of Manny's contract and take lowell which equals it out. AJ of course would have to be willing to sign with them and most likely would cost 2 of the above named prospects. But, making a trade like this is counter to everything that fits this FO. Besides everyone talking of how much the Marlins and Bosox dont really like each other. So I really think it wouldnt happen personally. 878837[/snapback] First I agree with you, but I have two points to make about these bolded staments that you may not agree with me on. First bolded statment. I am fine giving up two top tier prospects that arent named Hermida, Lowell, Enc., and Aj. So long as they do this trade with the understanding that Aj may not re sign. Honestly I would do this without Arroyo included too. The X-factor in all of this is is Manny's attitude affecting the clubhouse? If it is than they may be more willing to just get rid of the guy. You have to at least inquire about the guy b/c ahitter like this only comes across one in a blue moon. Second bolded statment. This would definatly go against the norm for our front office. But does anyone realize what this does for the club. The guy puts up 40 hr/125rbi consistantly. Plus it another huge well-known face in a large hispanic community. I just have a feeling that if he came here he would be very happy and content. Also, alot of the media won't touch the team with a ten foot pole so that in itself would be very attractive to Manny. Someone suggested N.Y. yesterday on the boards and I just chuckled. Also heres a thought, It technically went against norm to go out and spend a ridiculous amount of money on Delgado too, but it happened In conclusion, I think beinfest would be fired if he didnt at least inquire as to what it would take to get him and does anyone find it strange that all the Sox fans have been so quiet about this subject?
-
Please help me?
I need some good credible places to get FREE info on Minor league rankings from every leel of the game. What are some sites I could go to?
-
Funny Quotes
is that 2nd Madden quote a real quote or just a myth 877670[/snapback] I dont remember the game but I remember hearing so it is a real quote.
-
Manny wants out
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2118911 BOSTON -- Manny Ramirez's trade request will be difficult to honor because of his contract, Boston Red Sox president Admin Lucchino said Thursday. Lucchino also said he didn't know the left fielder's motivation for refusing manager Terry Francona's request to play Wednesday afternoon's game at Tampa Bay after another outfielder, Trot Nixon, was sidelined with a strained muscle in his side. Before the injury, Francona told Ramirez he could have the day off. "It's hard to know if the events of the last couple of days are the result of sort of psychological and physical needs for a sustained period of rest or it's some calculation or some move to encourage us to trade him," Lucchino told WEEI radio on his regularly scheduled segment. Lucchino and Ramirez's agent, Scott Parker, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment. Team owner John Henry and general manager Theo Epstein did not respond to e-mails, and the Red Sox clubhouse was locked on their day off Thursday. Ramirez is batting .275 with 28 homers and a major league-leading 92 RBI for the Red Sox, who lead the AL East by 1? games over the New York Yankees. He is due $57 million over the remaining three years of his contract. On Tuesday, Sports Illustrated reported on its Web site that Ramirez, for at least the third time in four seasons, had asked to be traded. The report said he told club officials he was unhappy in Boston, especially with an off-field lack of privacy. The Red Sox will explore trading him before Sunday's deadline, but that will be tough, Lucchino said. "Because of the size of his contract, obviously, it's hard," he said. "There aren't a lot of clubs that are going to be interested, but it depends how little you're willing to take in return with respect to trades. I'm not talking about Manny specifically, although it certainly applies to him." A club might want to make a deal if it asks the Red Sox to pay 95 percent of Ramirez's salary, "but that's not a particularly intelligent thing for us to do," Lucchino said. He also said this is the fourth straight season in which Ramirez has requested a trade "and our general response was, `it's that time of year' and we'll explore it as we explore other trades." Boston may resist trading Ramirez because it is short in the outfield. With Nixon on the 15-day disabled list and Ramirez not playing, Francona used first baseman Kevin Millar in left field and rookie Adam Stern in right Wednesday. Despite leading the division, Red Sox officials would like to improve their postseason chances with a trade. Last year, Epstein sent shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs at the deadline. "It is the time of year when you consider all manner of trades," Lucchino said. "Theo is certainly willing to be bold and make moves that other GMs might shy away from, so this is the time for us to think about trades and, certainly, Manny's name will come up from time to time, I'm sure, in the next 72 hours." How could the Marlins make this work. Only serious suggestions please because the easy answer is "no-way" I am thinking somewhere in the line of AJ and Mikey and a prospect for Manny and a servicable starter and alot of cash. Or perhaps a Three way trade with another team could work.
-
2005 Playoff Race Thread
New York (Martinez) at Houston (Astacio), 8:05 EST Who do we root for? If I had to pick a winner I say the Mets just because Pedro gets up for games like this but I dont know if I want him to pitch well or not? 877558[/snapback] I am gonna answer my own question. With a Mets loss and a win by us we leap frog them in both the division and Wild card. With that said, GO 'STROS
-
For You Gamblers out there.....
Half of my mythical money is going to the Marlins at 6:1 and the other half is going to The Dark Horse team at 9:2 Le Tigres are gonna get in on the action. I have a feeling its going to be a trade that is more beneficial to the club that gets him in regards to the other clubs that don't get him. Example going to the tigers so the Sox don't get him. The team that gets him is gonna over-pay in my opinion.
-
Funny Quotes
How could you forget Madden's classic: "He's a suppository of knowledge" Describing Brett Favre's Abilty as a quarterback. OR "The Team that scores the most points usually wins the game!" In game commentary as Pat summerall finishes another bottle and jumps out the window.
-
2005 Playoff Race Thread
New York (Martinez) at Houston (Astacio), 8:05 EST Who do we root for? If I had to pick a winner I say the Mets just because Pedro gets up for games like this but I dont know if I want him to pitch well or not?
-
2005 Playoff Race Thread
I think it is pretty amazing seeing as how we were 7.5 games out of both races a week ago at this time. We made up 2 gmes in the division and 4 games in the wild card in a week. Thats amazing! Keep up the good work guys.
-
Purely a What if trade proposal from the Tigers
:lol Pudge has no relationship with AJ, he caught what, 3 games of his? If the Marlins turned down Sanchez and Arroyo, this deal has no chance...none. 877346[/snapback] Yeah I kinda chuckled when i read about their relationship.
-
Purely a What if trade proposal from the Tigers
found this on espn board and to be honest, it intrigued me There is alot of talk in Det. that Dave D using his relationship and Pudge's can sign AJ in the offseason. I have read where Marlins want a starting Lefty, OF with pop and reliever....Would Marlins consider/need: Lefty starter Maroth 8-10 (young, poor man's Tanana) Monroe LF, leading tiger with 60 some RBIs Reliever spurling, whos been workhorse mid-reliever for them. And all three have cheap contracts. What does everyone else think. I know the Tigers have been considered the "dark horse" maybe this could work. What do you guys think?
-
Congrats to Jason Vargas
Vargas = Burnetts replacement? 877271[/snapback] May not be to far-fetched
-
Congrats to Jason Vargas
In all honesty, I wouldn't be suprised if Olsen gets traded for offense in the next few days. It would be a perfect scenario for a team like the reds who have no chance to sign any free agent pitchers to trade some offense for some young pitching. Cinncinati is the Colarado of the east. Great job on tonights win Jason and I hope we see alot more man!
-
Greatest Home Runs of All-Time Tournament
joe carter
-
Jack McKeon
This discussion is getting a little ridiculous. I love "small-ball" just as much as the next guy but come on Hype even you have to see whats going on here. This team has had to make a slight shift in its philosiphy over the past three seasons. Granted in 2003 watching the team steal every chance they had was very exciting and successful. The team has changed drastically since then by the maturing of one player and the arrival of another. First, the maturization process of Cabs is to a point where if didnt get any better with the bat no one would complain. He is the most amazing player I have ever seen at this point in his career. Second, the arrival of Delgado. He is the monster of this team and he knows how to quietly intimidate pitchers, which make him twice as scary as anyone will admit. With the arrival of these two talents, it is not in the best interest of the club to run as much as they did in 2003. If they run as much as they did it would leave first base open and essentially take the bat out of our best hitters hands. All this talk of mckeon putting on the red light, on purpose b/c for whatever reason is just ridiculous. If he felt it would help the team win more he would do it. And besides that don't you think that if Pierre or Luis had a problem with the strategy there would have been something said about it by now. Some of the most vocal players in history have been the guys that stole bases. Some people on this site make a huge mistake when judging Mckeon. They fail to realize that he probably knows more about baseball and the strategy of it then any of us would hope to ever know. Love him or hate him he is a baseball genius. Please lets close this thread due to a lack of baseball knowledge. Keep all those positive vibes coming Hype. Whats tomorrow another Lowell bashing thread or wait perhaps a positve thread on D-trains recent struggles. I can hardly wait. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
-
Marlins homestand thread
RALLYMERMAIDWITHBIGRACK 874319[/snapback] Fake at that 874334[/snapback] Hey, they could be made out of stale waffles for all I care. Hooters is Hooters and boy I love me some Hooters!!!!!!
-
Yahoo Fantasy Football Starting
Had to change draft date and time to accomidate everyone a little more. it is now august 26th at 9:30 pm. WE need FIVE more people to join as well.
-
Miguel Cabrera
yeah he may get recognition but honestly it is D-Lee's to lose at this point. Like him or not, he has been the leagues best position player so far.
-
Miguel Cabrera
Not sure if posted already but the last couple of games after Miggy hits a HR they have a shot of him in the dugout and he points to the camera and then does some kind of thing with his hands going over his stomach, does anybody know if his wife is pregnant or something? 873038[/snapback] I don't think he is married but his girlfriend is pregnant. I read that on here somewhere I think
-
Yahoo Fantasy Football Starting
I started another league if anyone is interested. league ID# 190713 Password 97&03 Please only serious players who will stick with it no matter how bad I am beating everyone. Also I ask that you name your team the same name as you are on MB.com as we will know who is actually playing. Also I ask for anyone who is in the other league to wait until Friday to sign up in my league that way everyone who wants to join gets a chance to. Any changes that anyone wants to make once they sign-up lets discuss that at Yahoo as well. Thanks and Good Luck To ALL!!!!!!!! 853571[/snapback] Did you change the password i type it in and it tells me password is incorrect 866856[/snapback] Sorry guys I deleted the league after a few days b/c nobody was signing up. I started another league and here is the info. We just have to get a few more peeps to join so tell other marlins fans about it. league ID is 245982 password is marlins. Whan you sign up let me know if draft time is ok by posting on the league message board. do it as soon as you can as times are filling up quick. Good luck everyone.
-
Surplus of unreliable starters
I am starting to think that we are entering a period in which maybe the numbers of dominant starters in this league are going down. There aren't that many guys out there right now that a manager knows will be lights out. The only one right now that I know of is entering the twilight of his career in Roger Clemens. The other could be argued to be Mark Prior but he still has a few more seasons to get into the Clemens category. I saw the Nats game in person last night and it looked like Roger was pitching to little leaguers. I strongly urge anyone to go out and see Roger pitch, its well worth the money. Is this a shift in training in the minors or is it the hitters are just seeing the ball better? I don't think that anyone really knows. I agree 100% with Admin that WHEN we trade AJ it is going to leave the team with a mediocre pitching staff. But are we really going to be that much different than most other teams out there.
-
Another Chapter in This Never Ending Saga!
http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/ Inside Dish: Rangers talking to O's about Ponson Posted: July 21, 2005 The Rangers, desperate for starting pitching as they brace for the suspension of Kenny Rogers, are talking to the Orioles about a trade for righthander Sidney Ponson, Sporting News has learned. While the talks are unrelated to the Orioles' pursuit of Marlins righthander A.J. Burnett, trading Ponson could perhaps make it easier for the Orioles to justify taking third baseman Mike Lowell along with Burnett. To deal Ponson, the Orioles likely would need to pay the Rangers almost all of the approximately $13 million remaining on the pitcher's contract, which expires after next season. The Orioles, who also are talking to two other teams about Ponson, likely would receive a midlevel prospect in return. The Orioles could attempt to persuade the Rangers to pay a larger percentage of Ponson's contract and the Marlins to contribute about half of the approximately $21 million remaining on Lowell's deal, which expires after 2007. That way, their outlay in the two transactions could amount to less than Lowell's total obligation -- and they'd have Lowell and be rid of Ponson. It's not a great tradeoff, but it's better than carrying two under performing players with inflated contracts. Of course, the idea of putting the struggling Lowell in the same lineup as the struggling Sammy Sosa might be another reason the Orioles aren't rushing into the Burnett deal. Ponson is 7-8 with a 6.04 ERA, the sixth highest ERA among major league pitchers who have worked enough innings to qualify for the ERA title. The Marlins balked when the Orioles tried to include Ponson in their package for Burnett and Lowell. Ponson's devil-may-care approach would make him a poor fit for the Rangers' intense manager, Buck Showalter. But if the Orioles foot most of the bill, the Rangers evidently believe that Ponson is worth a shot. . . . Both New York teams could snap to attention if the Rangers decide to trade second baseman Alfonso Soriano. Though Soriano has resisted playing center field, perhaps he would reconsider if he were traded back to the Yankees, the team for which Alex Rodriguez was willing to move from shortstop to third base. The Yankees' problem is that they can't satisfy the Rangers' need for pitching. The Mets, last in the National League in on-base/slugging percentage (OPS) at second base, are an even more obvious fit for Soriano. The Rangers have shown past interest in Mets shortstop Jose Reyes, but it's extremely doubtful the Mets would trade him, even though Reyes entered Wednesday's play with the sixth-lowest OPS among major leaguers who qualify for the batting title. The Mets' loss of Class A righthander Philip Humber, who recently underwent elbow-ligament transplant surgery, has reduced the team's minor league pitching depth, making it unlikely that the Mets would part with Class AA righthander Yusmeiro Petit. A package of Petit and outfielder Victor Diaz is the type that could tempt the Rangers for Soriano. ... The Padres, one of several teams pursuing Reds third baseman Joe Randa, also would like to add a starting pitcher. They view Indians righthander Kevin Millwood as an ideal fit, but would need to purge a salary to squeeze both Randa and a pitcher into their payroll. The Rangers and other clubs also like Millwood, who is 3-9 with a 3.34 ERA and has raised his stock by proving that he can pitch in the American League. ... Contenders are pressing the Royals for bullpen help, making runs not only at the relatively established Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal, but also rookies Andy Sisco and Ambiorix Burgos. "There's a feeling I'm shopping these guys. That's not the case," G.M. Allard Baird says. "I'm shopping for a young corner outfielder who fits with our direction. I recognize I may have to give up something at the major league level. I'm willing to do that." ... The Dodgers are willing to move righthander Jeff Weaver or lefthander Odalis Perez, preferring to keep only one of them long-term. Weaver, a free agent after this season, would be attractive as a rental if the Dodgers fail to sign him long-term -- he has a 2.71 ERA since May 29, and has worked at least six innings in 11 consecutive starts. Perez, on the other hand, is signed through 2007, was sidelined nearly two months with shoulder trouble and recently lashed out at an unnamed teammate. The Nationals pursued Perez last offseason, and their G.M., Jim Bowden, is looking for starting pitching. Hmmm . . . The Giants apparently were willing to trade Class AA righthander Merkin Valdez for Rockies righthander Jason Jennings, but the Rockies balked at the deal. "If he stays a starter, Valdez can at least be Pedro Astacio," one scout says. "I think you might be able to put him at the back end of the bullpen. He's got the body to be an Armando Benitez." Valdez is listed at 6-3 and 220 pounds, but the scout says he could carry 250.
-
Day number, what seems, 1000 In "AJ Watch" 2005
I was thinking about this a little after reading some of the topics of some of the threads. There are a few intangibles in this situation, there are also a few tangibles as well. I thought I would take this time to to dicifer the two out to limit some of the confusion. I know we are all getting caught up in this an I may be the only one but I have noticed that some of my other responsibilities have been slipping b/c I have been glued to the keyboard lately. I thought I could help save alot of time by maybe saying a few things that are obvious to some and not to others. TANGIBLES: 1. Who we deal with. He is available to anyone in MLB with the exception of inner Division. 2. Who else moves with him. Nothing is saying that Lowell will go with him. It could just as easily be Enc. 3. What we get in return. Nobody knows the answer to that. 4. The immediate timeline for a trade. If we continue to look good there is no rush to trade him till closer to july 31. I know they all sound obvious. Its the Intangible that I think people will look at mostly. INTANGIBLES: 1. That he will be gone Aug. 1. Any attempt at this point to keep him is futile and I think anyone who disagrees, Keep up the wishful thinking. 2. He is the best starting pitcher on the market. No one else out there compares. 3. This will not be the only deal made by the Marlins. Beinfest has to account for even the potential power that he would be losing if he traded Enc. or Mikey. 4. We wont walk away from this deal empty handed. Whether now or later we will be compensated. and most importantly 5. We are in the drivers seat right now. Beinfest will set his price and someone will call. Why? Refer to number 2. This has been one of the most competitive seasons I can remember Someone will give us what we ask for.
-
New Three Way Deal?
It's my first post here so please take it easy on me . I don't think the Redsox are going to bite on Burnett unless Lowell is taken off the table.Lowells numbers this year are similiar to what Kevin Millars are.Not to mention at the 18 million owed to Lowell.In fact i think the Marlins are grasping at straws here trying to include a under performing 3rd basemen with a 3-4 starter at this point.I do believe that Burnett can be great if given time with Varitek and become a legitimate cy young contender. As for the Redsox side Arroyo isn't a great pitcher similiar to Burnett in many ways without the k's and with a habit of hanging his breaking pitches. The only way i would make this trade from a Redsox side is if Lowell is taken out and i would give up Arroyo,Moss and Embree maybe throw in another middle end prospect if i can sign Burnett to a extension. 869412[/snapback] Welcome to the boards I know my first post wasn't popular so I be easy on ya. My posts is in regards to what I bolded. If you see that and truly beleive it what makes you think that the Sox won't see and realize that he is more valuable later to them now then later which ultimatly raises his value now.
-
New Three Way Deal?
Can someone, and I promse this isn't a trap, pleae show me any kind of authorative source (not a messageboard post) that says, or even implies Junior wants to be traded? Everything I've read and heard is that he's comfortable in Cincy and wants to stay for the remainder of his career, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Maybe I just missed somethng. 869089[/snapback] from ESPN Insider (by way of Dayton Newspaper, i guess): Junior partner? Jul 21 - Ken Griffey Jr.'s name is hot on the trade rumor mill, but according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds still haven't asked Griffey where he's willing to go. As a player with five years with one team and 10 years overall in the big leagues, Griffey can reject any deal. "I haven't heard anything," Griffey told the newspaper. "I don't remember the last time I saw [Reds GM] Dan O'Brien." Griffey would accept a trade to the right team, the Dayton Daily News reports. "It would have to be a top contender because I want to win," he told the newspaper. "I want a World Series ring. I'm tired of looking at my dad's three World Series rings." To make any deal possible, the Reds would have to eat a lot of Junior's salary. He makes a base of $12.5 million through 2008 with $6.5 million more a year in deferred money, with no interest until the contract expires after the 2008 season. Then he makes $6.5 million a year through 2025 at 4 percent compound interest. i don't think we should get Junior. But this answers your request, at least. 869104[/snapback] holy crap thats ridiculous! I dont know is this a common figure and timeframe for deffered money thats better than winning the lottery!