Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AGonzalez11

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AGonzalez11

  1. Considering that everyone and their mothers knew that the Marlins had to dump Delgado makes this a very good deal...which is exactly what Olney is saying. The Marlins had no negotiating power -- ZERO. The Mets know we have to get rid of Delgado one way or another and the market for a guy making 14-16 million is extremely limited...they could have offered us Joe Schmoe with a 5.95 ERA in AA and we eventually would have been forced to take it. Once word gets around that the mets are lowballing us, no other interested team is going to jump in and offer two or three top prospects knowing they can offer Joe Schmoe who had a 5.75 ERA in AA (in other words...another bum whos just slightly better ) (which is why Beinfest jumped at the chance to get two good young players...you can't afford to wait on Konerko when you're in our current situation) Anyone upset that we didn't get Milledge is completely oblivious on how the trade market in any sport works. When you're back is up against a wall with a big contract (like the Marlins were) you usually get absolutley nothing in return. It's similar to how teams operate under a cap...when a team KNOWS you have to dump so and so (for all Dolphin fans...Surtain for a 3rd rounder can be an example)..you're NEVER going to get a fair return for that player. Sad to see Carlos go...but another good move by Beinfest.
  2. If Capozzi is to be believed here, then he is to be believed when he says that Lowell could be unloaded to Minnessota for getting a little more than a warm body in return, provided we eat about $9 million (half) of what's left on his deal. Under this proposed trade, we give up Lowell's $18 million, Beckett's estimated $4 million for '06, and take on Blalock's $13.5 million. Only about $8 million in guaranteed money savings...or, about what we'd save if we just ate half of Lowell's deal and had nothing to show for it. Blalock ain't playing for us for free, and given his road numbers, he might have to to get what he'd be worth in Pro Player. This deal is being made to save money for this upcoming season and this upcoming season only...the numbers you stated adds a nice spin to the situation, but as far as this year is concerned, the marlins deal away 13 million in payroll and acquire 3 mil. For those mathematically impaired, that's $10 million dollars. Have we dealt Mike Lowell for nothing at half price, that's $4.5 million dollars...do the math. If you want to talk long term...Josh Beckett will probably be demanding close to $10 million after next season, so if you want to talk long term finances you may want to account that into your numbers. I agree we will not be able to compete with that rotation, but I don't think that's the rotation we will go into this season with. Beinfest will make some moves and hopefully for our sake they are good ones.
  3. No, you're missing the point...bud. Miguel Cabrera can just as easily play left field...and while obviously he isn't the most reliable guy out there, it won't affect his bat any. You may think trading Lowell for nothing and paying half the deal (realistically, more like 3/4ths) would be a better situation but it is NOT. Just for arguments sake...lets say the Marlins had a plan assuming they would be able to dump Lowell at half price...they would need to trade Delgado and Pierre or Lo Duca to meet the required budget. But now with Lowell completely off the books (which I can almost assure you was not what they were planning for), they will probably only have to trade a Delgado, and you'll be able to keep Lo Duca and Pierre...or deal Pierre and Lo Duca and keep Delgado. There's so many more options now that the money from Lowell is off the books, you created a huge hole in the pitching staff, but probably saved one or two others. Add to the fact that Hank Blalock is a damn good hitter...well, you get the point. I love Josh Beckett as much as any of you and will probably come close to shedding a tear if this is true, but you guys need to come to the reality of our situation and deal with it. Under these circumstances...this is a very, very good trade. Good night :thumbup
  4. I'm not looking for positives -- I call them like I see them. While many are you are too infatuated with Mike Lowell to see how much of a detriment his contract is to this franchise, I'm not. Being able to unload his 9 million after the horrid season he just had without being forced to eat a portion of the deal is HUGE -- especially considering our financial situation. You have no idea who will or will not be traded after this deal. Rumors are just that, rumors. The Marlins may have been budgeting Lowell's deal (or at least half of it) into their plans next year because they couldn't find a taker and trading Delgado (or Pierre...or Castillo...or whoever) was the only alternative. They've been trying to dump this guy since the all-star break, maybe even earlier. Now that they (supposedly) have found a taker for Lowell, things will probably change. Blalock is signed to a very, very affordable deal...and while losing Josh is a huge blow to the pitching staff, I'm assuming that Beinfest isn't done dealing just yet and probably has something else up his sleeve. I'm pretty sure trading Beckett wasn't the plan for the Marlins...but if it allows them to completely dump Lowell AND get a very productive, affordable return like Hank Blalock...they had no choice. As far as Blalock is concerned...I watch him alot and he isn't a prototypical HR hitter...he's actually more of a line-drive guy. He often tried to be something he isn't and became pull-happy -- leading him to go into huge slumps where all he'd every hit is an occasional bomb. With the dimensions in DS -- he will probably be forced to going back to his true swing and I think you'll see him shine. .300+ 25 HR 100 RBI-type numbers. Flame all you want...we'll see what happens when it's all said and done.
  5. I'll play devils advocate and say this is a reasonably good deal. I hate, HATE trading Josh Beckett -- but assuming that the Rangers are taking all of Lowell's contract -- it may work out for the best. We will be able to keep other players that we may have had to trade had Lowell been immovable. Josh is a great talent, but has yet to prove he can stay healthy and carry the load a top-of-the-rotation starter should be able to. Blalock will be fine in our park -- actually, I think he will be better. His biggest problem in Texas was he would always try to pull the ball over the short right field fence when in fact he has a sweet opposite field swing. His HR's will definatley go down, but I think you'll see his average skyrocket, especially with Cabrera as protection. It's tough to deal Josh...but the return is solid and dealing Lowell's contract is huge...i know i'll get flamed, but I think Hank Blalock is alot better than most of you are making him our to be.
  6. anyone know the status on some of these injured players? /lazy Nieuwendyk's skating, but he's not seemingly any closer than he was when the back issues started up. Horton should probably be back once the team returns home. Olesz is still meant to be out for another 2-3 weeks, but he skated for the first time the other day. Stewart about a month. And Mezei is done for the season with torn ACL and MCL. I think Nieuwy said he's targeting Saturday's game with the Islanders for his return as well...so hopefully he and Horton will be in the lineup come this weekend.
  7. Why should Luongo feel any different? He's been just as guilty as anyone during this streak. He plays well for 58 minutes but then allows a weak goal or two...you just can't have that from your "star" goalie. The winner last night was a joke, he commited WAY too early even if Koivu fanned on the initial shot, he was down before Koivu went to shoot. I'm not blaming Roberto, but he hasn't exactly been a wall this year. Once again, Luongo has faced far and away the most shots in the NHL, 578, Belfour is #2 on the list and he's faced almost 100 fewer shots (492). All this while Luongo posts a .924 save percentage to Belfour's .890. Sorry, Luongo's a wall... No, he isn't. Stats are deceptive and often don't tell the whole story...Luongo has started all but two of Florida's games this season -- the only goalie to play in more games is Mikka Kiprusoff -- and I don't exactly expect our defense to stand up to the Flames (best in the NHL -- Regehr, Leopold, Hamrlik, Warrener, Phaneuf and Ference...just stacked). Shots faced doesn't mean a whole lot...with the exception of last night and the game against the Rangers in MSG -- our defense has been fine. Our personnel is pretty bad (only reliable defenders seem to be Bouwmeester and Krajicek), but Martin's system really limits the amount of quality scoring chances despite our lack of talent. Luongo started out the season on a tear, but has really really slowed down since. He seems to play well for most of the game -- but then allows one or two softies and Florida is just simply not good enough to have it's backbone falter. I love Luongo -- I think he's the best goalie in the NHL -- but he's been off his game and we can't succeed without Luongo being Luongo.
  8. Why should Luongo feel any different? He's been just as guilty as anyone during this streak. He plays well for 58 minutes but then allows a weak goal or two...you just can't have that from your "star" goalie. The winner last night was a joke, he commited WAY too early even if Koivu fanned on the initial shot, he was down before Koivu went to shoot. I'm not blaming Roberto, but he hasn't exactly been a wall this year.
  9. I expected the game vs the Caps to be a tiny crowd -- first off, they stink horrendously, and with the Hurricane looming people are busy with preparations. I myself didn't even make it out to the game...under normal circumstances I wouldn't have missed it for anything. If the Panthers stay competitive, attendance will rise...the game vs the Sabres was pretty full, and they arent a huge draw.
  10. Florida didn't offer the max....they offered 5 years at $25 mil...Luongo was asking for 5 years at $28mil...you'd think the gap was small enough to come to an agreement, but Keenan offered the deal in the 11th hour...Luongo felt pressured and didn't want to rush into any decisions. Keenan handled the negotiations with Roberto very poorly. If he went about offering that deal in another manner, I get the feeling they would have worked out a deal, but Keenan is Keenan and he insists on intimidation-esque tactics.... He better get the deal done one way or another...or his head will be hanging from the rafters at the Bank.
  11. AGonzalez11 replied to Ramp's topic in Sports
    Nice! I liked Agler on Marlins extra, and I heard him on the radio coming home from the Lightning game...he did a good job. Horrible time slot, but it's better than nothing I suppose.
  12. I went tonight as well...awsome game. One thing I've noticed is positionally we seem to be much more organized -- probably due mostly because Martin is such a great strategist. Killing off that 5 on 3/5minute major was awfully impressive. There was also a buzz in the crowd...almost as if the fans felt like we actually have a chance now...unlike before where everyone and their mothers knew the Cats were headed for the cellar. Should be a fun year, the kids are oozing with confidence and flying all over the place. Hope we keep progressing and are in for a very fun year.
  13. I plan on going Friday. Should probably buy my tickets in advance. Supposedly there is only about 1,000 tickets left for both opening night and Friday's game vs. Tampa Bay. I think you're seeing alot of the "snowbirds" jumping at the chance to finally see some live hockey again. I would assume they wouldn't sell out until gameday, but you never know, 1,000 seems awfully low...i'd get the tickets as soon as possible!
  14. Got my season tickets last week...can't wait! :thumbup
  15. They better not make the playoffs. If they do, my high skrewl graduation is moved outside to Lockhart stadium :barf 954213[/snapback] Don't worry, you'll flunk out anyway :thumbup
  16. Canes fans seem to be awfully impressed by Rostislav Olesz -- supposedly he was an offensive threat all night long and set up several scoring chances (also scored his own) Can't wait to see this kid play some more...he dropped down after getting leveled by Dion "Scott Stevens" Phaneuf....but could end up being the steal of the draft. We'll see how he does, but it'll be pretty funny if our only non-hyped up prospect ends up being our best in the long run.
  17. Jack, we had poor infield depth last year too. Want to know why? Because you gave the job to Lenny Harris over Wilson Valdez. 953613[/snapback] Oh yeah, Valdez's .201 batting average sure would have made a big difference.... :plain
  18. And when Mordecai struggles because he hasn't seen MLB pitching in over a year, people will want him sent back to the Minors and stick to coaching... Can't Dillon play second base?? We need all the offense we can get...give him a shot Jack.
  19. Actions speak louder than words...they may be saying the right things, but like Jones said, we'll see if this team has any character and guts tomorrow night. MUST win game if we plan to stay in this thing.
  20. Encarnacion is hitting .130 in the past week (most crucial week of the season may I add....) and Lowell just flat out sucks. After today, this team needs a MAJOR spark in order to stay in this...tomorrow night is obviously a must win...time for Jack to grow some testicles and try something other than throwing the same 'ol non-productive crew out there. Move Pierre back to the leadoff spot. He's hitting around .350 over this past week and Loue is sturggling badly (.172AVG .226 OBP). Find a way to get a spark out of Willingham...or even Hermida...I'd like to see what he can do batting down in the order where he isn't so focused on just getting on base...instead see what he can do as a run producer(which is what he should be) Pierre Castillo Delgado Cabrera (hitting .379 in the 4 hole... .287 in 3 hole...let him cleanup Einstein!) Lo Duca Willingham/Hermida Encarnacion/Conine/Hermida/Willinham Gonzalez (suck it up Gonzo!) /rant
  21. Luis Castillo is the most at fault here -- he clearly took the inning off probably thinking Dontrelle had it in cruise control. Those mistakes are inexusable -- not chasing a ball that is CLEARLY his ball to catch, botching a double play ball and misjudging a pop up...what a joke. I agree though, Dontrelle should NOT have been out there to start the inning -- its easy to say now after this disaster of an inning, but after 111 pitches and a closer that has been lights out, you take him out no question.
  22. We had cheerleaders a couple of years ago, called the IceKats, but they got rid of them last season. They're back, but under a different name...not sure what they're called now, but I think their sponsored by some jewelry store or something like that. I'm a season ticket holder...but didn't go....I get sick at the worst times.. :thumbdown
  23. I like Fleury alot -- not being able to play the puck will hurt his game 901842[/snapback] With the new restrictions on how goalies can play the puck, this is probably a non-issue. 902546[/snapback] Thats what I meant -- he has Brodeur-esque puckhandling skills -- it was a big part of his game.
  24. Marc Andre-Fleury is a bust waiting to happen. He is not that good and he will never be a great goaltender. Possibly an average one but he was not worth the high draft pick. Just my .02 cents. 901774[/snapback] I disagree 100% -- I like Fleury alot -- not being able to play the puck will hurt his game, but he should be a good one nonetheless. Some of you are spoiled down here with Roberto... 901842[/snapback] I am not spoiled. :mischief I played the goaltending position. He has way too many weaknesses for my liking. He looks to be another Rick DiPietro type. Highly regarded but the weaknesses are too great. 901861[/snapback] I was a goalie as well -- and agree with your comparison of DiPietro -- but DiPietro too is a very good goalie -- .911 save % 2.36 GAA last season and he was only 22 -- he's no Luongo, but a very good goalie in his own respect. I suspect they both will be a few steps behind the elites -- in the Evgeni Nabokov/Marty Turco mold. 902182[/snapback] I wouldn't call Evgeni Nabokov and Marty Turco elite. I'd call them very good. Martin Broduer is elite. Ed Belfour was elite earlier in his career. As was Hasek. 902189[/snapback] Me either -- hence the "a few steps behind the elites" comment. :thumbup
  25. Marc Andre-Fleury is a bust waiting to happen. He is not that good and he will never be a great goaltender. Possibly an average one but he was not worth the high draft pick. Just my .02 cents. 901774[/snapback] I disagree 100% -- I like Fleury alot -- not being able to play the puck will hurt his game, but he should be a good one nonetheless. Some of you are spoiled down here with Roberto... 901842[/snapback] I am not spoiled. :mischief I played the goaltending position. He has way too many weaknesses for my liking. He looks to be another Rick DiPietro type. Highly regarded but the weaknesses are too great. 901861[/snapback] I was a goalie as well -- and agree with your comparison of DiPietro -- but DiPietro too is a very good goalie -- .911 save % 2.36 GAA last season and he was only 22 -- he's no Luongo, but a very good goalie in his own respect. I suspect they both will be a few steps behind the elites -- in the Evgeni Nabokov/Marty Turco mold.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.