Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AGonzalez11

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AGonzalez11

  1. There is a big reason why this guy was one of the most hated players in Tigers history.... 820728[/snapback] And that reason is ????? 820730[/snapback] He's beyond terrible defensively and despite being incredibly fast -- is an awful baserunner. He wouldn't be much worse than JP -- but he also isn't a savior. If we're talking about replacing JP -- we have a suitable leadoff replacement in Castillo.
  2. Just wondering if we are properly adjusting for ballpark effects. Look at Juan Pierre. When he came here, so many thought his batting average would dip. That hasn't been the case. So maybe there's also a way to pitch in Coors. Some of the relievers that have had success in Colorado in recent years have been guys with odd deliveries that rely on fastballs. Would they be as successful on sea-level when a batter would not be always be looking to time a fastball into the seats? 820718[/snapback] :lol Pierre is a slap hitter -- I don't see how and why the thin air in Colorado would ever effect his game. As far as your backwards pitching theory -- let's just say I highly doubt Fuetnes' success is reliant on his oppositions anxious swings -- he has good stuff and his funky delivery is murder on lefties. It isn't a given, but there's obviously a strong chance any pitcher switching from a launching pad like Coors to a pitcher-friendly stadium like DS will see his effectiveness drastically increase.
  3. I'm a big Kotsay fan -- who someone suggested earlier -- but he too probably isn't the best fit here. He's more of a Pierre/Castillo(run scorers) replacement than he is a Lowell/Enc(run producers) replacement. 820674[/snapback] You need both to score runs. 820714[/snapback] And we already have Pierre, Castillo, Lo Duca who belong in the 1-2 slots in any order. Kotsay would add to the redundancy. We need run producers -- that isn't Kotsay's forte.
  4. I'm not sure. We've seen good to great pitchers go to Coors and get beat as bad as scrubs. Maybe Kennedy and Fuentes' success is due in part to Coors and would not translate well here. 820665[/snapback] ummm.....what?
  5. He wouldn't hit third here.? He isn't Jack's type of player and I don't blame him. 820625[/snapback] Fine. Let him hit 5th. He's twice the hitter Lowell ever will be. 820634[/snapback] Yeah, but my point is, if he walks, that won't help a whole lot. Marlins need people to drive the ball with RISP. The bottom of the order hasn't been doing a whole lot lately and you have JP down there. 820639[/snapback] Like I said, hit him third. He'll get on base a lot for Cabrera and Delgado to drive him in. Plus, he'll see better pitches there and will probably hit .260-.270. He played 2 game sin the three hole in Cinci and magically hit over .380. When teams are forced to pitch to him, he hits for a much higher average than people give him credit for. Also, Conine/Willingham would hit sixth. Or, if they leave Pierre at the top, Lo Duca would hit sixth. I'd take all three of those guys over Enc. 820651[/snapback] a .230 hitter who doesn't hit a lick with RISP in the 3-hole? Thank god you arent our manager -- I didn't think it was possible to have a worse offense than we do, but you'd probably give a good run for their money with that order. :thumbup A high OBP doesn't always mean a player is doing his job in the three hole -- if someone like Todd Helton (before this year at least) is hitting .320+ and taking walks, then it's a different story. The guys getting on base need to be the top two in the order, the middle of the order guys should bring them in. Dunn is a terrible fit here, an all or nothing lefty in Dolphins Stadium has disaster written all over it -- not all of his HR's go 550 feet like they seem, and the ones that don't get out will make his average drop even further. As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of his and just think the fit is a terrible one. I would much rather have a high-average with modest power hitter(Michael Young-type) than I would a Dunn. His age and power will cost us an arm and a leg and I just don't think it's worth it. I'm a big Kotsay fan -- who someone suggested earlier -- but he too probably isn't the best fit here. He's more of a Pierre/Castillo(run scorers) replacement than he is a Lowell/Enc(run producers) replacement.
  6. For the life of me I cannot figure out the fascination some have over Adam Dunn -- yes he has mammoth power but offers very little aside from the 45 solo home runs and quite frankly, the walks he takes are all but negated by the ridiculous strikeout numbers he will put up. He's a career .206 hitter with RISP -- no thank you. He hasn't been "pitched around" in Cinci -- guys like Casey, Griffey, Pena offer plenty of support, he is just an all of nothing type of hitter -- which is not what we need.
  7. NEW TARGET Rockies left-hander Brian Fuentes is the latest Marlins trade target as they seek to upgrade the back end of their bullpen. According to a National League source, the Marlins have been persistent in their attempts to acquire Fuentes, who is making just $328,000 and will be eligible for salary arbitration after the season. Left-handed batters are hitting .158 against the side-winding Fuentes and right-handers are at .225. Fuentes, 29, is 1-3 with a 3.00 ERA and seven saves in nine chances. In exchange, the source said, the Marlins have been dangling Triple-A shortstop Josh Wilson and Double-A right-hander Yorman Bazardo. There is no indication, however, that the Rockies are inclined to move Fuentes, their most valuable reliever. "He's funky and throws 92-93 mph," the source said. "Those kinds of guys don't grow on trees." In addition, the Marlins could have interest in Rockies starters Jason Jennings, Joe Kennedy or Shawn Chacon, but that would depend on how long it takes Josh Beckett to overcome his latest blister problem. The Marlins are not among the clubs expressing interest in Rockies center fielder Preston Wilson. The Cubs or Nationals might be his next employer. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins
  8. ::::waits for somebody smart to realize that the article is reffering to Tampa's Alex Gonzalez:::: :thumbup 818371[/snapback] ::::waits for you to realize that we said that 10 posts ago:::: 818380[/snapback] I typed my response after Shamrocks post but never hit reply -- sue me :lol
  9. ::::waits for somebody smart to realize that the article is reffering to Tampa's Alex Gonzalez:::: :thumbup Accord yahoo always mixes those two in their "news and notes" section -- a couple years ago I picked up the other Gonzalez thinking he was hot when in reality it was Sea Bass they were talking about. They have been doing it for years now.
  10. AGonzalez11 replied to a post in a topic in Miami Marlins
    Mesa? Yuk -- please God, no. Gonzalez would be perfect -- probably the best lefty specialist in all of baseball. 815417[/snapback] BS. He's blown so many damn games this year. 815534[/snapback] Lefties are batting .152 against him with a 0.94 WHIP (10.2 IP 5 H 17 SO) -- I'd say he's doing just fine against lefties, wouldn't you?
  11. The season obviously isn't over -- but theres some serious issues that need to be addressed SOON -- in a tight division like this we will be kicking ourselves in the ass come September. We're throwing games away that we simply cannot afford to lose anymore.
  12. lineup for tomorrow? or lineup long term? for tomorrow id use... 1. Castillo 2. Lo Duca 3. Cabrera 4. Delgado 5. Dillon 6. Easley 7. Gonzalez 8. Harris ( DH) 9. Pierre long term... Pierre Castillo Cabrera Delgado ??? ??? Lo Duca Gonzalez Biggest problem with this offense is the 5-6 holes -- pitchers know they can pitch around Delgado and Miguel in crucial spots because Lowell and Encarnacion flat out stink. If they don't turn it around, somthing needs to be done, wether it be Conine/Dillon/Willingham or someone outside the organization is up to Beinfest.
  13. AGonzalez11 replied to a post in a topic in Miami Marlins
    Mesa? Yuk -- please God, no. Gonzalez would be perfect -- probably the best lefty specialist in all of baseball.
  14. AGonzalez11 replied to a post in a topic in Miami Marlins
    I think the biggest problem with the crucial situations is the pen -- we only have four healthy proven arms (Jones, Mota, Riedling, Mecir) -- and out of those four, three have proven to be terrible under tight situations. Mota's save numbers are awful and has done nothing as a Marlin to prove otherwise. Mecir has always been brutal in tight situations, or at least that seems to be the popular opinion from most A's fans -- and Riedling just hasn't been very reliable in any situation so far. Our hitting hasn't been very good in the clutch either (obviously) -- but if Lowell and JP turn things around I suspect that will change -- I'm not so optimistic about the bullpen.
  15. Moehler had a very low pitch count & was cruising.? I may have brought in Jones personally, but I don't blame Jack there.? Plus Moehler gets out of the jam if Alex makes a throw my grandmother could make.? Let's not rehash the game for the 100th time already, christ.... 815172[/snapback] Moehler has only been averaging about 75 or so pitches per game this season, so even though 85 is low by the standards of guys like Beckett, AJ, and D-Train... it's up there for Moehler. 815175[/snapback] That stat is misleading -- earlier in the year Moehler could not go more than 50-70 pitches because he was used out of the bullpen from the start-- but he has built his arm strength up to where he can throw 100 pitches without much of a problem. (last four starts his average is 99 pitches, last two starts 105)
  16. I disagree. Enc looked quite disappointed when the panned through the dugout the next inning. I see all these comments that Enc doesn't care, and they all seem completely unfounded to me. 815119[/snapback] :thumbup 815123[/snapback] Maybe we're watching different players -- but calmly putting away your batting helmet is not what I perceive as disappointed. Where's the emotion? How can anyone justify swinging at two consecutive terrible sliders in the dirt? Simply a lack of concentration/lack of effort.
  17. Yes it was a lousy AB, one of the worst I've seen of him this year.? But seriously, is Conine who has gone 0-3 and left 4 runners on really any better? 814966[/snapback] Maybe, maybe not -- but I can tell you one thing, Jeff Conine would not be swinging at two consecutive 3-ball -in-the-dirt sliders in a tie ballgame in extra innings. That 3-2 pitch he swung at was just flat out lack of concentration -- the ball bounced before it even got to the plate. His lack of effort is unacceptable -- he just doesnt give a flying f**k. When he was walking back to the bench with that "whatever" look in his eyes I felt like sticking my arms through my screen and choking him to death. I haven't disliked a Marlin this much since Dan Miceli. When Beinfest finally comes to his senses and trades this clown I'll be the first to send him a thank you card.
  18. I think some of it can be attributed to the Heat's recent run -- very little media attention has been given to the Fish because of it. The usual factors (rain, heat, location etc) also always go into the numbers when talking about attendance figures down here. The attendance figures should rise from here on out I suspect....I'm not trying to make excuses, but we should all be used to the patterns by now. Come time for the stretch run, Dolphins Stadium will be packed -- its the Miami way.
  19. I disagree, I like the idea of getting a GOOD lefthanded specialist -- yes, you can get by without one, but Jack certainly cannot. He's fallen in love with lefty/lefty matchup. I don't trust De Lo Santos at all -- I haven't seen enough of Bentz to have a solid opinion... That being said, I wouldn't trade the farm for Fuentes. He's a good reliever, but not someone to cut an arm off for.
  20. The NBA being locked out will help the NHL more than anything...and yes the Miami Arena was such an awesome place for Hockey, I used to go to about 5-10 games a year, I havent been to a hockey game since the Miami Arena. 808244[/snapback] I loved going to the Miami Arena as well, but the ODC is such an unbelievably beutiful building -- on its own its almost worth the price of admission. Now if the Cats could just play a couple more playoff games in their new home....
  21. The funniest thing on the announcements at our school in 2003/2004: "The graduation will have to be moved from the Office Depot Center to Lockhart Stadium if the Panthers make the playoffs." :lol 807611[/snapback] Florida was in playoff contention all year long until the last couple of weeks of the season. Dont really understand why that's funny, but for each his own.
  22. Bad move for the Nats IMO -- Spivey hasn't been nearly the player he used to be -- and what happens when Vidro returns next month? They essentially gave up a solid pitcher (no matter how much F-Rob may hate him...) for a bench player. Drese stinks, but he may do OK for them moving to a huge ballpark like RFK. That being said...at least they're trying. Does Beinfest think Valerio De lo Santos is the answer? If you can't pull off a trade that makes sense then at least call up a major league ready kid and see if he can provide a spark (cough, Willingham, cough)
  23. "The price was high, but to be able to get a proven bullpen arm who has pitched at a championship level, it was too good to pass up," Phillies general manager Ed Wade said, adding that Tigers president Dave Dombrowski told him he was close to moving Urbina to another team in the NL East. :mischief2 Braves? Mets? 801019[/snapback] Probably the Mets -- there were tons of Urbina - for - Cameron rumors not too long ago.
  24. Brilliant move IMO -- especially is the NBA locks out. I expect to see alot more "fan friendly" moves such as this in the near future. Alot of giveaways at home games, buy one, get one free deals, etc. etc.
  25. this was a defensive response. Give the guy a break What would you do if a reporter ask you, "gee, are worryied about your job now that the Marlins offense can't score runs? look at so so getting fired" 797750[/snapback] There's plenty of things he could have said to that question -- but by saying "no one could ever do a better job -- not with this team" not only does he come off arrogant, but implies that he's doing such a great job because the hitters he's coaching arent that talented. He's done a lousy job and comes at us with a comment like that -- he's a disgrace to this franchise as far as I'm concerned.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.