Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AGonzalez11

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AGonzalez11

  1. Despite his ERA his stats show he's had a significant amount of luck. He walked batters like crazy last year and the year before, averaged less than six innings per start... Three of his last five starts have been atrocious. Even the game he won, he only went five innings. 772736[/snapback] That isn't luck -- it's a veteran pitcher knowing how to pitch despite not having his usual control. If Beckett or Burnett had the type of control problems Leiter is having right now, they'd be out by the secon inning (IE: Beckett in Philly). Despite the two terrible outings, he's given us a chance to win despite not having any control whatsoever. He'll turn it around -- if his struggles continue, you can skip his next start, and move everyone up a spot and place Leiter as your 5th starter -- but the proposal of making him a bullpen coach is just laughable.
  2. Leiter has had two bad starts and you guys are already ready to make such a drastic (and utterly ridiculous) move like banishing him to bullpen coach? Just hysterical. I wonder what it's like to be as fickle as alot of you are. If Beckett throws back-to-back stinkers what will he be demoted to? batboy? Leiter has had five straight seasons with a sub-4.00 ERA -- if you think all of a sudden he's going to implode you have another thing coming. All his starts so far haven't been very pretty, but he's kept us in all the games except for the two rocky outings.This isn't the first time he's gone through a rough stretch. I can't wait till Leiter turns it around and watch how 90% of you bashing him now won't have the guts to eat crow.
  3. If, once again, he is terrible, then he should be bull-pen coach. 772726[/snapback] :lol
  4. I agree with you that Lowell should be sat for at least a game or two -- but who exactly do you want McKeon to start at third right now? Lenny Harris? The only productive bat off the bench that can play third is Easley -- and with Luis hurt that isn't an option. Someone might suggest moving Cabrera to third for a couple games -- but that just isn't realistic at this point. If Lowells struggles continue, i agree, he should be sat for a few games and hopefully help ease his mind.
  5. I'm not for or against dealing Conine -- I like having a strong bench -- and quite honestly, I still don't have much faith in Encarnacion becoming a consistent producer. I expect him to drastically cool off thus the need for keeping Conine. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Conine (or Encarnacion) to improve other areas. A team with limited finances can't afford the luxury of paying a backup RF $4.5 million. Let Niner play full-time, or let Encarnacion play full time, but I'm afraid that Encarnacions recent dropoff in production will lead McKeon into platooning the two for the rest of this season.
  6. Beckett for Adam Dunn? No thanks The only position player I'd consider dealing Beckett for is Mark Teixeira -- and even then -- It's tough to deal away a pitcher like Beckett for anyone.
  7. LOOKING FOR RELIEF With their bullpen racked by injuries, the Marlins are seeking help via trade and could be willing to dangle Conine in that aim. The Orioles have a deep bullpen and a need for a right-handed bat, making them a logical trading partner. Making $3 million in a reserve role, Conine spent five seasons in Baltimore before returning to the Marlins in an August 2003 trade. The Marlins had an interest in Twins right-hander Juan Rincon before he was suspended for 10 games for violating baseball's drug policy. They also could consider Yankees right-hander Steve Karsay, who was designated for assignment this week. Yankees right-hander Felix Rodriguez also is believed to be available and someone the Marlins have liked in the past. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins Despite his recent suspension -- Rincon would be an awsome addition. He's a big strikout pitcher, something we dont really have in our pen. He's only 26, too, so he has alot of productive years ahead of him. If anything, I think his suspension makes him more available -- especially with Jesse Crain stepping up for the Twins and pitching well. From the Orioles...no names were given -- but I'd assume Jorge Julio is the guy they'd be targeting. He'd cost more than just Niner, though. Not a big fan of F-Rod....nor Karsay.
  8. Bentz had a 9.82 ERA in spring training....
  9. Conine is blocking him.? Next season he'll be our Craig Wilson hopefully. 761628[/snapback] Or starting corner OF 761635[/snapback] What makes you think Hermida won't be ready? 761637[/snapback] Im just in the Willingham may be more ready thats all it doesnt matter though because even if Willingham blows up next year, he'll be traded to make room for Hermida 761775[/snapback] Not neccessarily -- if Willingham proves he's ready to contribute at the MLB level -- it's my belief that managment will move one of Lo Duca or Lowell to make room for him and use the finances saved elsewhere. I'd hate to see either of those two go -- but we can't afford to deal away a good, young, cheap productive player. The only way I can see Willingham dealt away is at this years trade deadline. Hermida is obviously untouchable -- so I assume the names Beinfest will be hearing to put the final touches on our roster are Stokes and/or Willingham.
  10. My top 3: 1. Matt Mantei 2. Mark Kotsay 3. Kevin Millar
  11. So you're suggesting a rotation of Beckett-Leiter-Patterson-Willis-Moehler? Sorry, that won't cut it -- especially with the pitching the teams competing around us have. If you want to add Patterson as a 5th starter -- fine -- but even then Moehler has done nothing to lose that position yet. As far as next year goes -- if Burnett walks via free agency I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll sign another arm to replace him like they did with Pavano/Leiter.
  12. It's tough to throw the blame on Conine -- starting once every other week is incredibly difficult on anyone, let alone a guy who has been accustomed to playing every night his entire career. That being said, he looked absolutley terrible in all of his AB's tonight. Considering how bad Niner looked all day long, I agree it was a mistake to not pinch hit for him. I would have brought up Miguel for Niner and taken my chances with Gonzalez especially considering we had no one to play SS had the game been tied. I also don't understand sitting Cabs vs. a lefty and Castillo when he's on fire right before a day off. If he wanted to give anyone a day off it should have been Delgado vs. the lefthanded Claussen.
  13. Provost! He was one of the few Linesman I actually liked. This is sad for the NHL and all hockey fans. He was truely, one of the best at his job in the game. 752135[/snapback] its not sad for me because i dont watch nhl and i thought they were on strilke 752926[/snapback] you're an idiot. Provost was a regular at Panther games -- if I had to take a guess I'd say he was officiating in a good 70% of Panther games during any particular season. RIP.
  14. Moehler...at least there is some hope with him. 2 good starts doesn't make a season but he's looked a hell of alot better than Valdez. He didn't seemed to have his 2-seamer working like he did in spring training in either of his first two starts -- but he still battled and got through both games without giving up much damage. I hope he keeps it up -- but his 4+ ERA at double A last season is keeping me skeptical. That being said -- I think Valdez is terrible -- so either way I'd take Moehler.
  15. Beckett: 9 Burnett: 8 Leiter: 7 Willis: 7 Valdez: 2 Moehler: 5 (possibly higher if he keeps it up -- but tough to judge on 2 starts) Jones: 2 Bump: 2 Mecir:7 Mota:6 Alfonseca:4 Perisho:7 vs lefties, 0 vs righties. (3.5 avg i suppose)
  16. I too was surpised Jack went to Jones -- he seemed to be the guy McKeon went to most in the 8-0 blowouts to finish them off. I'm not a big Jones fan to say the least -- but leaving him in when he was CLEARLY laboring cost us the game. Mecir was ready in the pen and who better to face a switch-hitting Beltran than Mecir? his screwball is murder on anyone batting from the left side yet McKeon left Jones in for whatever reason. If anything, our "closer" should have been loose by the time Jones got into trouble. I'm not a Jack basher by any means but his erronous decisions cost us one earlier today
  17. Rough break for him and the Tigers. 744042[/snapback] It's great for him and Bora$. Even though he's going to miss 2 months, his GINORMOUS contract is now automatically guaranteed. 744906[/snapback] No it isn't -- he's only going to miss 1-2 months -- which means he could still easily come back and re-injure his knee. The time period in his contract is 25 days -- not 60 http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_story_skin/472751%3fformat=html The Tigers could reportedly void the deal at any time if Ordonez should spend 25 days or more on the disabled list in 2005 due to problems with his left knee. Ordonez, who just turned 31, had two surgeries on the knee last season.
  18. I think we can all agree this team is in a serious "funk" and the only reason we aren't 4 or 5 games under .500 at this point is because of our starting pitching. The bats have been absolutely horrendous -- two or three explosions doesn't change that. Lowell, Castillo, Cabrera, even Encarnacion, Delgado, etc. -- no one is innocent. this team has had countless chances to drive in runs and they just haven't been producing. Getting one-hit by Aaron Heilman of all people is just inexcusable. That being said -- the offense isnt a very big concern. the Lowells, Delgado's, Cabrera's are superstars and will eventually get their HRs and RBI's just like they do every year. I think our biggest problem is our bullpen. I know their stats aren't very bad at all and todays game was really the only bump in the road they've had -- but every single guy in our bullpen gives up too many hits for my liking. Todd Jones is terrible -- ive said that before and many of you will begin to notice it too. Bump is Bump, Perisho is Perisho, Alfonseca's velocity seems to be down somewhat and even at full-strength he's a guy who gives up his fair-share of hits. Mota, too, as a closer is a guy who relies on keeping hitters off balance. Mecir is the only guy who seems to be able to produce the K and even then -- I'm worried once he goes through lineups for a second and third time -- they will adjust to his screwball and pound him. Hopefully Spooneybarger's rehab goes well and he comes in and gives a huge Chad Fox-esque lift . We need someone who can come in to tight spots and get us out of jams and personally I don't see that in this group. just my $.02
  19. it looked like most mariners fans hated him last season...lemme see if i can dig up the post. 744838[/snapback] Who the hell cares what the Mariners' fans thought. The guy stinks. 744843[/snapback] So whatever you say goes huh? Chin High says he stinks -- must be true :lol Everyone has their own opinions -- I like Waltz -- he's improving by the game and eventually will be loved by most. He has an entertaining voice, his broadcast is fluid and he is starting to show emotion at the right times. I still don't think he has great chemistry with Tommy -- but that will improve over time.
  20. I think he's doing just fine -- the power numbers arent there yet but will come in time. I think he's doing great considering he hasn't faced the majority of NL pitchers very much throughout his career. If you're trying to ask whether or not we're dissapointed in Delgado -- I'd say no. If I was to be dissapointed in someone it would be the guys arount him. Lowell and Cabrera have the "protection" they need now and don't seem to be doing much with it thus far. That being said -- it's only 9 games so hopefully they improve with time.
  21. I like the idea -- The regular season will still have alot of merit because no team is going to want to play in the "play-in" round. its alot like the NFL has with the bye week and teams playing for home field advantage It's smart for a struggling league though...teams that might not have made the playoffs before (Panthers) now have a greater chance to expose the casual fan to the most exciting playoffs in sports. Players dont get paid during the playoffs so its also a TON of extra revenue for the NHL.
  22. Does this count towards the amount of days he can miss, per his contract? 732623[/snapback] I don't think so -- I think he has to be put on the DL for it to count against him -- and I also believe the reason for his stint on the DL has to be his surgically repaired knee. Don't quote me on the latter.....
  23. Gonzalez will never produce consistently until he improves his plate discipline -- batting in the 8th hole -- he gives no reason for any pitcher to throw him strikes when they know hes going to swing at a fastball over his head or a breaking ball in the dirt. I still think the Marlins should move Alex to the 7th slot and Juan to the 8th -- especially since Enc seems to be improving his eye at the dish. Hitting after the big guys, Gonzalez will get alot of pitches to hit -- and probably wouldnt be the hole in the lineup he is right now.
  24. So let me get this straight -- you guys bash announcers for being "homers" consistently -- then when a guy shows emotion for the opposition you rip him? What kind of hypocrisy is that? I didn't hear him today because I was at the game -- but I thought he did a great job opening night. No emotion for the Marlins? give me a f*cking break -- his voice was almost squeaking on Enc's grand slam and Delgado's 2RBI double. Anyone making a judgment on the guy after two games is a fool. If he makes a couple of nice calls on a walk-off homer or a clutch save -- you guys will jump to the other side of the wagon. Be objective and give the guy a chance -- you'll save yourself a ton of integrity in the process. 732269[/snapback] Nobody ever criticized Len for being a homer, last year at times when our offense was horrible Len was very critical of our team as well as many bad managerial decisions by Jack. Tommy is a hundred times the homer that Len ever was, although I think that has more to do with the fact that Tommy experienced first hand the whole Joe Angel debacle. And plus, it's better to be a homer than a traitor. You thought Rich Waltz' call of ENC's grand slam was loud and enthusiastic? His call of Chipper's home run was just as enthusiastic, it was as if he was happy and excited that Chipper hit it. Yes, making a concrete judgement on a broadcaster after just 2 regular season games is ridiculous however you need to follow your own logic. Criticizing and passing judgement on someone when you never even heard a single word out of Rich Waltz' mouth in tonight's game is equally as absurd. How can you comment on Rich Waltz' performance tonight when you never heard it? On another note, Rich Waltz is a lot better now than he was during ST, he has definitely improved. As long as Rich Waltz stops rooting for the opposition, I and i'm sure many others won't have a problem with him calling Marlins games. 732317[/snapback] What exactly in my post gave you the slightest impression that I was commenting on Rich Waltz' performance on tonights game? Try reading my posts thoroughly before you try your next rebuttle. I have no idea what he sounded like on Chippers homer -- so I'm not even going to comment on it -- but the "traitor" accusation is just flat out laughable. I find it hard to believe Waltz is rooting against the Marlins when his JOB is to entertain the Marlins' fans. 732334[/snapback] People said he showed no emotion tonight, you replied with a general "give me a f*cking break" with a reference to Enc's grand slam from yesterday. Well we are talking about his performance tonight, not opening day. The traitor statement was just an exaggeration, but a fitting one at that. 732337[/snapback] What exactly did you want him to show emotion for? did you want him to dance naked after every double play the Marlins' hit into? Did you want him to scream enthusiastically after every AGon strikeout? Give me a break -- being anti-Waltz after two games is just idiotic. If the Marlins hit a walk-off homer and he sounded like Ozzy Osbourne then maybe you'd make some sense -- but needless to say that isn't the case.
  25. So let me get this straight -- you guys bash announcers for being "homers" consistently -- then when a guy shows emotion for the opposition you rip him? What kind of hypocrisy is that? I didn't hear him today because I was at the game -- but I thought he did a great job opening night. No emotion for the Marlins? give me a f*cking break -- his voice was almost squeaking on Enc's grand slam and Delgado's 2RBI double. Anyone making a judgment on the guy after two games is a fool. If he makes a couple of nice calls on a walk-off homer or a clutch save -- you guys will jump to the other side of the wagon. Be objective and give the guy a chance -- you'll save yourself a ton of integrity in the process. 732269[/snapback] Nobody ever criticized Len for being a homer, last year at times when our offense was horrible Len was very critical of our team as well as many bad managerial decisions by Jack. Tommy is a hundred times the homer that Len ever was, although I think that has more to do with the fact that Tommy experienced first hand the whole Joe Angel debacle. And plus, it's better to be a homer than a traitor. You thought Rich Waltz' call of ENC's grand slam was loud and enthusiastic? His call of Chipper's home run was just as enthusiastic, it was as if he was happy and excited that Chipper hit it. Yes, making a concrete judgement on a broadcaster after just 2 regular season games is ridiculous however you need to follow your own logic. Criticizing and passing judgement on someone when you never even heard a single word out of Rich Waltz' mouth in tonight's game is equally as absurd. How can you comment on Rich Waltz' performance tonight when you never heard it? On another note, Rich Waltz is a lot better now than he was during ST, he has definitely improved. As long as Rich Waltz stops rooting for the opposition, I and i'm sure many others won't have a problem with him calling Marlins games. 732317[/snapback] What exactly in my post gave you the slightest impression that I was commenting on Rich Waltz' performance on tonights game? Try reading my posts thoroughly before you try your next rebuttle. I have no idea what he sounded like on Chippers homer -- so I'm not even going to comment on it -- but the "traitor" accusation is just flat out laughable. I find it hard to believe Waltz is rooting against the Marlins when his JOB is to entertain the Marlins' fans. How about you and anyone else out there take your Len Kasper glasses off and try and form an objective opinion on Waltz? I was as big a Len Kasper fan as anyone, but he's gone and its time to move on. Stop comparing Waltz to Kasper because all your doing is setting yourself up for is a biased opinion. Are you going to compare every kid that comes up in our organization from now on to Miguel Cabrera? If Jeremy Hermida comes up, becomes a .285-25-90 hitter -- is he a huge dissapointment too because he didnt reach Cabrera's standards? your logic is silly. I don't know how good of announcer Waltz is yet -- maybe he eventually will get on my nerves -- or maybe he will develop into a better announcer than Len Kasper -- I have no idea. The only thing I've seen from him thus far is he has a unique voice(something we also said about Len when he first came up....) Other than that -- I haven't listened to him enough to comment -- and niether have you.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.