April 20, 200521 yr First of all it's Moehler, not Mohler. Second, we don't know when Valdez will pitch again so until then, it's Moehler. Period.
April 20, 200521 yr Right now it's Moehler becuse we really don't know how well Valdez will pitch when he comes back.
April 20, 200521 yr First of all it's Moehler, not Mohler. Second, we don't know when Valdez will pitch again so until then, it's Moehler. Period. 748974[/snapback] I don't mind all our misspellings but I agree we should spell the players names correctly. And Valdez has not had a chance. How can you propose a vote? And we have some Minor league guys looking good. Relax. Jack picked the Pope (reported in 'papers today.) He can pick a Fifth Starter. With white smoke coming from his office.
April 20, 200521 yr I say give it to Moehler until he really starts to struggle. He proved that he can be a 5th starter on this staff :thumbup
April 20, 200521 yr Moehler's most interesting, and perhaps telling comment regarding last night's victory when asked in his post-game interview was "I got my pitch count up, finally", which may be a good indicator for future starts. If he can get to the point where he consistently throws 80+ pitches a game he could be a real asset to the franchise. For myself, I hope we don't need at some point this season to bring up kids from AA or AAA to get pounded (ala Kensing who really took one for the team last season and who I believe will be starting for the Marlins in 2007). I'm 100% in Jack's camp on kids being rushed and babied, if Moehler, and at some point Valdez, can give us quality innings let the kids learn how to pitch with a full season or two in the minor leagues. No sense rushing them if we don't have to. I hope Jack and Wiley's mantra about pitching deep into games, and the ethic of finishing what you start, makes its way down into the farm system. I'm in no rush to bring any of the kids up, including Olsen.
April 20, 200521 yr Bringing up Olsen (or Kensing since his option clock has already started) for a trial wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Most likely one or more of them will be in the starting rotation next year. It would be appropriate to see what we have down there. And it's not as if Moehler or Valdez are shutting down the competition. They're adequate, leaving room for improvement.
April 20, 200521 yr Bringing up Olsen (or Kensing since his option clock has already started) for a trial wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Most likely one or more of them will be in the starting rotation next year. It would be appropriate to see what we have down there. And it's not as if Moehler or Valdez are shutting down the competition. They're adequate, leaving room for improvement. 748990[/snapback] I'm not saying you're wrong, but my understanding (and I'm prepared to be corrected) is that Kensing's "clock" didn't start as he was a September callup. As for "see(ing) what we have down there..." I'm sure the FO knows exactly how they are fairing. As fans, sure want to see what they have, but we're not the decision-makers. Barring something catastrophic happening to our existing pitching staff, let the kids mature a bit before throwing them into the fire. Dontrelle was the exception that proves the rule but at that point in the 2003 season we didn't have anything to lose by bringing him up. As for Valdez and Moehler not shutting down the competition, Moehler (since Valdez is not available and at this point an unknown quantity) is performing about as well as any fifth starter I can think of. Does it last? Who knows. But as long as he performs "adequately" there's no reason to change horses in mid-stream, especially when you're talking about rushing kids along.
April 20, 200521 yr Moehler is doing a great job but when Valdez comes back Jack's going to put him in the Bullpen until Valdez struggles and i dont think he will. IMO valdez is going to have a good year as our 5th starter.
April 20, 200521 yr Kensing's arbitration clock did not start. Well, it did, but it's being calculated on a stopwatch. He was added to the 40-man roster last year, meaning he has three years to make the big club and stick or else be exposed to waivers. That's no reason to bring him to the majors, but seeing as Olsen and Johnson are not yet on the 40-man roster yet I suggested he'd be the best candidate. There's very little chance any of these kids get thrown to the Rob Strattons of AAA Pacific Coast League. Atleast the ones that have major league futures (Olsen, Kensing, Bazardo). If they're dominating AA, which they are but it's only April, there's no room for them go up but to the majors. It's too soon to make that decision. After all we have a few off days that might allow us to skip the 5th starter in the next coming weeks. But come July or August and Valdez/Moehler are still getting hard, it might be time. The crazy thing about this summer is that we have pieces in the high minors that fit the needs of the big league club. Starting pitching and outfield prospects this year as upwards to four incumbents at those positions may not return. Can't remember that happening much in the past. It leaves a lot of options for the trading deadline. The Marlins could be one of the rare teams to trade veterans (Valdez, BP arm?) for veteran help for a playoff run.
April 20, 200521 yr Moehler makes me nervous...I know he has pitched well so far, but I always get the feeling like he's going to blow up and get rocked. Rferry's idea of bringing up Olsen or Kensing I think will be the answer to this question later in the season. I don't know, I have no faith in either of those guys, but if Moehler keeps pitching the way he is then he is the number 5 starter.
April 20, 200521 yr Moehler...at least there is some hope with him. 2 good starts doesn't make a season but he's looked a hell of alot better than Valdez. He didn't seemed to have his 2-seamer working like he did in spring training in either of his first two starts -- but he still battled and got through both games without giving up much damage. I hope he keeps it up -- but his 4+ ERA at double A last season is keeping me skeptical. That being said -- I think Valdez is terrible -- so either way I'd take Moehler.
April 20, 200521 yr AG11... i think last year was Moehler's first back from TJ Surgery... so that could explain the 4+era to some extent
April 20, 200521 yr Moehler hasnt been getting hit hard and valdez hasnt played yet. Theres no reason to call anyone else up for now. If someone else gets injured then we can start dipping into the minors, but why mess witha good thing. A 5th starter is still a 5th starter, so unless moehler AND valdez are getting hammered ala Darren oliver come july, theres no need to bring anyone up from the minors. Maybe in september we cna test some guys out when the roster expands.
April 20, 200521 yr Moehler makes me nervous...I know he has pitched well so far, but I always get the feeling like he's going to blow up and get rocked. Rferry's idea of bringing up Olsen or Kensing I think will be the answer to this question later in the season. I don't know, I have no faith in either of those guys, but if Moehler keeps pitching the way he is then he is the number 5 starter. 749060[/snapback] I like Moehler and respect him for overcoming the obstacles placed in his way. A lesser person might be running a carwash in Montana right now. He's pitched well enough in his two starts to be our fifth starter for the forseeable future. That said, he is for all intents and purposes, a stopgap fifth starter. He will get lit up a few times before this plays itself out, but that doesn't mean he immediately will become a bum or suck or any of the words so often used here when someone has a bad day. Every starter will have a bad day. I guarantee you Josh and AJ and Dontrelle and Al will have bad days. It's part of the game. Maybe he makes you nervous but there's no evidence that either Kensing or Olsen are ready to pitch in the bigs at this point in their careers. A good clue as to their readiness was how quickly they were dispatched to the minorleague camp during spring training. Jack got a look, Wiley got a look and then they sent them off to learn how to pitch in Zebulon. Moehler knows how to pitch in the bigs and therein is his advantage over the kids. Relax. Enjoy. Let's worry about tonight's game tonight and not worry about our fifth starter until we need to. Life is too short.
April 20, 200521 yr I would have said Valdez before when he is truly ready, but with that performance by Moehler yesterday, iam sticking with him now. He pitched great, he was locating his pitches very well, made the Nationals look bad. And congrats for Moehler, his first win in a really long time cuz of the injuries.
April 21, 200521 yr Right now you'd have to go with Moehler. He is making the transition from BP to the rotation in terms of endurance. He has exceeded all expectations. Valdez is likely to be a bit rusty once he is cleared to throw again. It would be better off to have him throw a few minor league games and perhaps a few innings out of the BP before deciding if he is ready to make a start.
April 21, 200521 yr why fix what ain't broke? Moehler has been impressive so far, leave him in there.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.