Sun Sentinel:Conine to be dangled for bullpen help

AGonzalez11

LOOKING FOR RELIEF

With their bullpen racked by injuries, the Marlins are seeking help via trade and could be willing to dangle Conine in that aim.

The Orioles have a deep bullpen and a need for a right-handed bat, making them a logical trading partner. Making $3 million in a reserve role, Conine spent five seasons in Baltimore before returning to the Marlins in an August 2003 trade.

The Marlins had an interest in Twins right-hander Juan Rincon before he was suspended for 10 games for violating baseball's drug policy.

They also could consider Yankees right-hander Steve Karsay, who was designated for assignment this week.

Yankees right-hander Felix Rodriguez also is believed to be available and someone the Marlins have liked in the past.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

Despite his recent suspension -- Rincon would be an awsome addition. He's a big strikout pitcher, something we dont really have in our pen. He's only 26, too, so he has alot of productive years ahead of him. If anything, I think his suspension makes him more available -- especially with Jesse Crain stepping up for the Twins and pitching well.

From the Orioles...no names were given -- but I'd assume Jorge Julio is the guy they'd be targeting. He'd cost more than just Niner, though.

Not a big fan of F-Rod....nor Karsay.

Guest FishFanInPA

Conine means nothing on the bench to us....Encarnacion is obviously blocking him....We need relievers....I'd say go for it.

Guest Juanky

I'd love to get any part of the Twin pen, preferably Jesse "Jesse Crain" Crain or J.C. Romero, but if we get RIncon that's cool too.

I sincerely doubt they are even considering trading Conine at this point. Sorry.

I wouldn't do a deal like this unless Encarnacion is still producing like he is right now by late June.

I don't think our bullpen is in shambles yet to go out and trade our insurance plan for the outfield.

765670[/snapback]

The only problems with the bullpen thus far is Travis Smith and Riedling. That s it. I totally agree with you.

Mr. Marlin can't help us if he only gets three starts a month and occasional right-handed pinch-hitting duties.

While I don't expect enc's offensive numbers to hold up, I'm not convinced Niner would be an offensive upgrade at any point, and he would certainly be a defensive downgrade at RF.

If Niner weren't such a fan favorite, I honestly don't even think he'd be on the team right now. $3 million is way too much for a backup plan at RF when we can actually spend the money on improving the team in other areas.

Mota'll be back in two weeks, Alfonseca and Spooney in a month and a half. Right now, unless they're targeting BJ Ryan or Jorge Julio from Baltimore (doubtful considering how important they are to the first place Orioles), I say do what it takes to get Steve Karsay, and hold course until July.

I know this is unpopular, but why not deal Encarnacion? He'd bring us more straight up, and there's no way he's on the team next year, plus we'd shed more money...

I just don't understand this our bullpen has been terrific, there's no need to jump the gun just cuz AAA guys have come up and struggled.

765688[/snapback]

I concur...AA will be back Julyish, Mota will be back, Spooney should be back around around All Star break.

Plus there are a ton of capable pitchers in AAA and AA to come up and fill in if need be.

They didn't get the stadium. I'm doubting they want to piss off the fan base by trading probably its all time favorite player.

Mota'll be back in two weeks, Alfonseca and Spooney in a month and a half. Right now, unless they're targeting BJ Ryan or Jorge Julio from Baltimore (doubtful considering how important they are to the first place Orioles), I say do what it takes to get Steve Karsay, and hold course until July.

I know this is unpopular, but why not deal Encarnacion? He'd bring us more straight up, and there's no way he's on the team next year, plus we'd shed more money...

765689[/snapback]

Trade our RBI leader while Mikey is still struggling? No thanks.

Mota'll be back in two weeks, Alfonseca and Spooney in a month and a half.? Right now, unless they're targeting BJ Ryan or Jorge Julio from Baltimore (doubtful considering how important they are to the first place Orioles), I say do what it takes to get Steve Karsay, and hold course until July.

I know this is unpopular, but why not deal Encarnacion?? He'd bring us more straight up, and there's no way he's on the team next year, plus we'd shed more money...

765689[/snapback]

Trade our RBI leader while Mikey is still struggling? No thanks.

765705[/snapback]

Just a thought. Lowell can't possibly struggle for the rest of the year, and Encarnacion is overachieving, almost to a ridiculous rate.

I'm simply saying that if they're trading Conine for bullpen help in the name of shedding salary, trading Encarnacion'll bring us a better bullpen arm, and will shed us more salary.

One of the strengths needed to be a contender is a strong bench.

Conine, is hammy pulled or sore arm away from playing everday. It would be a big mistake (at least in my opinion) to jettison him at this point in the season.

I thought that was a pretty smart move by Jack last night using Moehler in relief, killing two birds with one stone. Not only did Moehler get his regularly scheduled work in prior to Tuesday's start, but Jack got a chnce to give Mecir and Jones a night off as well.

:thumbup Jack

One of the strengths needed to be a contender is a strong bench.

Conine, is hammy pulled or sore arm away from playing everday. It would be a big mistake (at least in my opinion) to jettison him at this point in the season.

I thought that was a pretty smart move by Jack last night using Moehler in relief, killing two birds with one stone. Not only did Moehler get his regularly scheduled work in prior to Tuesday's start, but Jack got a chnce to give Mecir and Jones a night off as well.

:thumbup Jack

765735[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly, and one other thing too. So far, we've been pretty fortunate with off-days/snow days/rain delays giving our regulars time off, but starting with the series against Tampa on the 20th, we're going to go on a stretch were we play straight baseball for almost 3 weeks, and then after the All-Star break we're going to be on a long road trip that'll feature the ridiculous travel schedule and 21 games in 20 days. Having a guy like Conine who can play 3 positions (LF, RF, 1B) will prove to be invaluable when Delgado and Cabrera will need that eventual off-day.

Easley and Conine are so vital to this team's depth that it's maddening to think about weakening our bench in the name of a quick fix for the bullpen.

The news on spooney has been pretty bad so I would not expect him back anytime soon. The article in the Herald today said Mota was feeling better but might need arthroscopic surgery if the arm does not feel better when he comes back. I agree with Marlins2003 on the importance of a strong bench, that is why I think we need to deal Stokes for bullpen help asap.