Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pnino

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Pnino

  1. Focused on Maybin being ready to play now unlike last year when they saw him play early in the season and he needed more seasoning. Said he believes defense will be highly improved in the OF w/ the moving of Hermida to LF and Ross over to RF. He believes this new OF flip flop will improve the Defense. Also talked highly of Gaby Sanchez and sounded as if he has high expectations for him this season in regards to taking over 1st base. Fredi apparently likes this guys defense and thinks he is ready for the role. I was taking care of the kids so I didn't get much more. In between commercials and whining from the little ones, that is mostly what I got.
  2. 10:23 a.m. I ur interested.
  3. Wouldn't it be great if the Braves snatched Lowe away from the Mutts? Ha! They'd be stuck. It would be better if someone in the AL snatched him UR absolutely right. I just mentioned the Braves b/c they are the only team I have heard other than the Mets that are trying to lure him. REDSOX....BOOK IT! Not enough room in the rotation for him My thoughts exactly. Sox don't need another starter.
  4. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb Team USA's roster for the upcoming World Baseball Classic started last month with Derek Jeter of the Yankees as the starting shortstop and Davey Johnson as the manager. Now with provisional 45-man rosters due in a week, the remainder of the tentative roster is starting to take shape, with San Diego's Jake Peavy returning as a starting pitcher from USA's 2006 Classic team, joined on the staff by the Angels' John Lackey and Houston's Roy Oswalt. Jeter, the Angels' Brian Fuentes and Scot Shields, the Braves' Chipper Jones and the Twins' Joe Nathan are also returnees. American League MVP Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox is the starting second baseman. On Friday, USA Baseball announced 23 players who have made commitments to play in the second running of the tournament, which begins in Tokyo Dome on March 5 and ends at Dodger Stadium on March 23. In addition, Reggie Smith will be the batting coach and Marcel Lachemann will serve as the pitching coach. "The excitement shown by the players to participate in this event has been incredible," said Paul Seiler, the executive director and chief executive of USA Baseball. "This is still far from a completed process, but we're thrilled with the commitments to date." Jeter said last month that early doubt changed to exhilaration as the 2006 tournament went on. "I think when the World Baseball Classic first started there was a lot of skepticism, especially on behalf of the players," he said. "No one knew if it was going to work and no one knew if they wanted to play and if it would take away from the season and Spring Training. "Then when we had the opportunity to get on the field, every player to a man was so excited to represent that country. Obviously, I have not had an opportunity to represent our team in the Olympics and this is the closest I'll ever get. But there is a lot of pride there." Jeter and the rest of what could be a 28-man roster will report as a squad under Johnson on March 2 in Clearwater, Fla., the spring home of the defending World Series champion Phillies. The Americans' first game in the tournament is March 7 against Canada at Toronto's Rogers Centre. They play in Pool C along with Venezuela and Italy. In between, the U.S. will play the Yankees in Tampa on March 3, the Blue Jays in Dunedin on March 4 and the Phillies in Clearwater on March 5. The same 16 teams are back from 2006, when Japan went on to the win the title and Team USA was eliminated in the second round: Australia, Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Italy, the Netherlands, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, South Africa, the U.S. and Venezuela. Provisional rosters of up to 45 men per team will be announced on Jan. 19. Final rosters of 28 players -- including a mandatory 13 pitchers -- must be set by Feb. 24. Team USA's tentative roster has Boston's Kevin Youkilis at first base, Pedroia and Cleveland's Mark DeRosa at second, Jeter and Philadelphia's Jimmy Rollins at shortstop, Jones and the Mets' David Wright at third and Brian McCann of the Braves and Chris Iannetta of the Rockies behind the plate. In the outfield so far, it's Ryan Braun of the Brewers, Curtis Granderson of the Tigers and Grady Sizemore of the Indians. The starters are Peavy, Lackey and Oswalt and the bullpen has Fuentes, Nathan, Shields, Jonathan Broxton of the Dodgers, B.J. Ryan of the Blue Jays, J.J. Putz of the Mets, Matt Thornton of the White Sox and Matt Lindstrom of the Marlins. Alex Rodriguez, who played for the U.S. in 2006, said he's committed to the Dominican Republic this time around. Taking Shape Twenty-two players have preliminarily committed to playing for Team USA in the 2009 World Baseball Classic Number Name Pos. B/T Height Weight Birthplace Team 8 Braun, R. OF R/R 6-foot-1 200 Mission Hills, Calif. MIL 51 Broxton, J. P R/R 6-foot-4 290 Augusta, Ga. LAD 7 DeRosa, M. IF/OF R/R 6-foot-1 205 Passaic, N.J. CLE 40 Fuentes, B. P L/L 6-foot-4 230 Merced, Calif. LAA 28 Granderson, C. OF L/R 6-foot-1 185 Blue Island, Ill. DET 28 Iannetta, C. C R/R 6-foot 225 Providence, R.I. COL 2 Jeter, D. IF R/R 6-foot-3 195 Pequannock, N.J. NYY 10 Jones, C. IF S/R 6-foot-4 210 DeLand, Fla. ATL 41 Lackey, J. P R/R 6-foot-6 245 Abilene, Texas LAA 22 Lindstrom, M. P R/R 6-foot-4 210 Rexburg, Idaho FLA 16 McCann, B. C L/R 6-foot-3 230 Athens, Ga. ATL 36 Nathan, J. P R/R 6-foot-4 225 Houston, Texas MIN 44 Oswalt, R. P R/R 6-foot 185 Weir, Miss. HOU 44 Peavy, J. P R/R 6-foot-1 193 Mobile, Ala. SD 15 Pedroia, D. IF R/R 5-foot-9 180 Woodland, Calif. BOS 40 Putz, J.J. P R/R 6-foot-5 250 Trenton, Mich. NYM 11 Rollins, J. IF S/R 5-foot-8 175 Oakland, Calif. PHI 52 Ryan, B.J. P L/L 6-foot-6 260 Bossier City, La. TOR 62 Shields, S. P R/R 6-foot-1 180 Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. LAA 24 Sizemore, G. OF L/L 6-foot-2 200 Seattle, Wash. CLE 37 Thornton, M. P L/L 6-foot-5 245 Three Rivers, Mich. CWS 5 Wright, D. IF R/R 6-foot 215 Norfolk, Va. NYM 20 Youkilis, K.
  5. Wouldn't it be great if the Braves snatched Lowe away from the Mutts? Ha! They'd be stuck. It would be better if someone in the AL snatched him UR absolutely right. I just mentioned the Braves b/c they are the only team I have heard other than the Mets that are trying to lure him.
  6. Wouldn't it be great if the Braves snatched Lowe away from the Mutts? Ha! They'd be stuck.
  7. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?i...ce=MLBHeadlines Sources: Mets, Redding agree on dealComment Email Print ESPN.com news services The New York Mets have agreed to a one-year, $2.25 million contract Friday with free-agent starter Tim Redding, a baseball official told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand. He must pass a physical before the deal will be official. Redding, 30, posted a 10-11 record with a 4.95 ERA in 182 innings covering 33 starts with Washington last season. The right-hander has a career record of 34-51 in seven seasons with Houston, San Diego, the Yankees and Nationals. Redding became a free agent when the Nationals non-tendered him in December. The Mets, who already have Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey and John Maine at the front of their rotation, plan to slide Redding into the No. 5 spot. Lefty prospect Jonathan Niese will also vie for the fifth spot. The team is still pursuing free agent Derek Lowe and possibly Oliver Perez. The Mets could also still sign Pedro Martinez and Randy Wolf to add to their pitching staff.. Information from ESPN 1050 Radio's Andrew Marchand and ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick was used in this report.
  8. Yes Kotsay will be mostly at 1st but he would be that 5th outfielder for the Red Sox. The bench should be very deep now still need a middle infielder.... Umm they have Pedrioa and Lowrie with Lugo still in the mix and i belive Cora is still there aswell but they should get someone better and cheaper then Lugo because quite frankly he sucks. Cora is gone, and I am talking about a deep bench. The bench isn't deep when your bench guy for middle infield is Lugo. Lowrie is the new SS, but he can't play SS, he can backup 3B, Lugo can play SS and 2B but not 3rd. Cora was a great fit, but he is gone. A deep bench? Heck, this is one of the best, deepest benches in the league. Youk can play 1st and third. Kotsay can play OF and 1st. Big Papi can DH and play 1st. Lugo can play 2nd and SS. Lowrie can play SS and 3rd. Man, its sick. Can they use another bench player? Why not? Do they actually need one, I don't think so. This team is stocked.
  9. I guess Kotsay will not be back...I am not sure if this will be better for the BoSox. If healthy Baldelli may even start and he is a great talent as well. More power and speed than Kotsay for sure. However Kotsay is a rock, you can count on him to be there Well, here is the story. Kotsay is set to return even w/ the Baldelli signing. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...sox#articleFull lot of outfielders. I guess since Ellsbury isn't the stud they thought, and Drew always getting hurt, Bay is the only solid fulltime guy. I think the article states that Kotsay will also be backing up 1st base. So his role will probably gravitate in that direction. If Big Papi's health continues to decline (I think it was his wrist that gave him problems most of last year) Kotsay would step in. I'm sure Lowell will probably be traded b4 the season begins, keeping Youkilis at the 3rd base spot.
  10. BTW, does anyone know how much Baldelli will make?
  11. I guess Kotsay will not be back...I am not sure if this will be better for the BoSox. If healthy Baldelli may even start and he is a great talent as well. More power and speed than Kotsay for sure. However Kotsay is a rock, you can count on him to be there Well, here is the story. Kotsay is set to return even w/ the Baldelli signing. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...sox#articleFull
  12. Oh boy, this could be bad for us. I'm happy for Lindstrom but do we want our closer to be over worked befor the season even starts? Does it matter? WBC...Spring Training...he'll have to pitch regardless before April. And this is a joke. Have that many people declined to play for the U.S. Team? No disrespect to Lindstrom, but he is certainly NOT one of the better pitchers in the United States. He probably won't have to pitch much. For once, I'll have to agree w/ Eric. I would imagine so many people refused to play that they are now going to the B Listers. That really sucks. When are we going to have a true World Baseball Classic where the best players actually represent. :thumbdown Anyway, good for Lindstrom. Hopefully he'll get some good work in before the season. :thumbup
  13. Forgot to mention a pet peeve. The nickname that the Florida announcers use ... The Fish ... I really dislike that. The only expression I can even think of that goes with fish is "smells like fish." I don't mind the Fish as being the nickname. I've actually gotten used to it. I don't think of smelly fish when I say it. I think of my Marlins. I have to disagree w/ you on this one. But to each his own, right? :cheers Personally, I'd find a few lovely octogenerians on which to center my campaign. I'd feature early bird specials on tickets and concessions ... everything purchased up until an hour before game time. I'd help put bus owners/drivers in business to deliver retirees from the Gold Coast to games on a big time basis ... with a stop at the Hard Rock for an hour or two after each game. I agree. Not only will Gold Coast be a place to pick up our older fans, but Century Village. I could see a bus hit their community and bring them back after games. Maybe give them senior discounts or discounted group rates. I'm not sure about the stop at the Casino afterwards. I can't really see them going gambling after a game ending around 10:30 at night. They'll probably be way too tired. :sleeping
  14. Ross-Man is the Boss-Man
  15. However, the year before last he was a closer. Upon his return last year he was up and down. Who knows what to expect. But for the O's it is a good risk.
  16. Two team race my butt. The Marlins will win 96 games next year (book it) and the ESPN and these jerks will be crying and I will drink of their tears. Isnt that just a tad optimistic? But bring it on! Maybe 96 games is a bit optimistic. But I don't believe taking the East is out of range. W/ our starting rotation and improved bullpen, one can definitely make an argument for the Fish taking the East. Heck, we didn't even have our top two starters till mid season. This will be a very good team this year.
  17. Pnino replied to Joe's topic in Sports
    Beane should probably literally win this in a landslide... but being a Marlins board... Beinfest will get the homer votes :homer
  18. Pitching, Speed, Defense. Andrew definitely helps us w/ the defense. I would imagine he would have to replace either Ross or Hermida if he were to sign. neither option seems very convincing the way he has played recently. Unless Maybin flops during ST, then Andrew can be given a chance. I don't see it a feasible solution to sign him and have him play off the bench. If we were to give him a chance, I believe he needs to be given the full chance to have him break out of the slump. So, I disagree w/ the signing based on the fact that he may have to play off of the bench. The way he has played, he shouldn't replace any of our outfielders. I say let someone else take a chance. We could always find someone else who has a good defense and can be had rather inexpensively.
  19. Didn't Burrel just agree to sign w/ the Rays? Good call Joe
  20. Nope. First time. But I'm not surprised.
  21. Does this mean that, if they release him, he is to be paid $5 million by the Dodgers even if he signs w/ another team? If so, lets say, if the Marlins pick him up, is he then paid another fee on top of the $5 million? Someone please clarify.
  22. Funny. I was thinking the same thing. I mean, who would you rather be: the Marlins or Pirates Orioles Royals Nationals Mariners Man, I'd take my Marlins over any of those organizations.
  23. I don't see why not. If they are willing to offer him the money that he wants, who is to say it won't work. Heck, money talks in this league. Manny in a Giants uniform is not too far fetched.
  24. Well, unless the Mutts ante up, they aren't going to sign Lowe. He wants more green beans. I would love for another team to step up and snatch him away.
  25. http://www.metsblog.com/2009/01/03/startin...llion-per-year/ Tonight on the MLB Network?s Hot Stove Live, SI.com?s Jon Heyman said Derek Lowe rejected Omar Minaya?s three-year, $36 million offer, because he is seeking $16 million per season. According to Heyman, the Phillies and Braves are Minaya?s ?biggest threat for Lowe,? while the Red Sox and a ?mystery team,? like the Brewers, are showing interest as well. Later in the show, Minaya was interviewed and acknowledged having interest in Lowe, as well as Randy Wolf, among other free-agent starting pitchers. Oddly, Minaya didn?t mention Oliver Perez by name.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.