Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pnino

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Pnino

  1. I've read Pie needed to get out of Chicago since he didn't do well under the stress and pressure of the Cub fans. Maybe a change is just what he needs to get his head on straight. I hope things work out for him.
  2. As far as I'm concerned, "None Of The Above" is the correct answer. And you can cross off the remainder of Nny's list as well. No disrespect meant. I can't imagine any of those guys in a Marlins uni in 2009 for one reason or another, not when you have at least five guys at or near minimum wage already in the organization (some of whom have been in Jupiter since after Christmas or playing every day in the winter leagues) ready to battle it out for the fourth outfielder spot. Reserve outfielder is not the position the team needs to outside to fill and I think we're all more or less in agreement where money should be spent if the organization decides to bring in a player or two from the outside. :thumbup
  3. Boo Jones. Go away. :no
  4. You don't start a player simply for defense, however. He's gonna have to produce, offensively, as well. He will produce. Not as much as we may want him to, but he will produce something. Nevertheless, keeping him down for a year won't kill us. Considering our situation, I'll be very satisfied w/ keeping him down while bringing McPherson up for the year. Next year when we get rid of some of our players, we'll give Bonifacio a chance to make the team next ST. Regardless, he'll be under our control for a while anyway. There's not much reason to believe he will, however. That's the point. Wow. I'm really sad that Beinfest traded for someone who will not produce anything in any capacity, ever, and provides absolutely no evidence that he ever will. Beinfest really blew this one. Badly.
  5. When I gave those three individuals, I didn't mean to compare Bonifacio to their offensive statistics. I only wanted to point out how lucky we were to have those three guys backing up our pitchers for their defensive abilities. OPS was not where I wanted to take this. I believe that it would be nice to head in the direction of providing our pitchers w/ strong defense like Lowell/Gonzalez/Castillo provided our pitchers back then. Bonifacio, IMO, fits the mold of contributing to our team in that capacity. Again, in a defensive capacity. That is all. You don't start a player simply for defense, however. He's gonna have to produce, offensively, as well. He will produce. Not as much as we may want him to, but he will produce something. Nevertheless, keeping him down for a year won't kill us. Considering our situation, I'll be very satisfied w/ keeping him down while bringing McPherson up for the year. Next year when we get rid of some of our players, we'll give Bonifacio a chance to make the team next ST. Regardless, he'll be under our control for a while anyway.
  6. I can't let myself believe that we gave up both Olsen and Willingham for a backup. I believe he will contribute much more than he is being given credit for. As for his lack of offense, I'm ok w/ that. This team can use his defensive prowess. I remember having Lowell, Gonzalez, and Castillo in our infield. Damn, that was nice to have those gloves behind our pitchers. Would be nice to head in that direction once again. Lowell ranged from a low .800 OPS to a high .800, so basically average to above average for a 3B. Gonzo was usually good for around .750, avg for a SS. And Luis was an on base machine. Those were great players because they could field and hit pretty well (or in Luis and Lowell's case, very well.) Bonifacio might be a defensive wizard, but I don't ever seen him being more than the .700 OPS guy he was in the minors. That's not worth a starter CI spot. When I gave those three individuals, I didn't mean to compare Bonifacio to their offensive statistics. I only wanted to point out how lucky we were to have those three guys backing up our pitchers for their defensive abilities. OPS was not where I wanted to take this. I believe that it would be nice to head in the direction of providing our pitchers w/ strong defense like Lowell/Gonzalez/Castillo provided our pitchers back then. Bonifacio, IMO, fits the mold of contributing to our team in that capacity. Again, in a defensive capacity. That is all.
  7. I wonder how many of you guys ever went on jury duty, I have. Why?
  8. I can't let myself believe that we gave up both Olsen and Willingham for a backup. I believe he will contribute much more than he is being given credit for. As for his lack of offense, I'm ok w/ that. This team can use his defensive prowess. I remember having Lowell, Gonzalez, and Castillo in our infield. Damn, that was nice to have those gloves behind our pitchers. Would be nice to head in that direction once again.
  9. Kazmir, Howell added to Team USA ST. PETERSBURG -- The Rays will be represented on Team USA's roster for the upcoming World Baseball Classic after Scott Kazmir and J.P. Howell were added to the team Thursday. On Friday, USA Baseball announced 23 players who had made commitments to play in the second edition of the tournament, which begins in Tokyo on March 5 and ends at Dodger Stadium on March 23. The additions of Kazmir and Howell on Thursday expanded the USA roster to 26, meaning they will report March 2 with the rest of what could be a 28-man roster under USA manager Davey Johnson in Clearwater, Fla., the spring home of the defending World Series champion Phillies. The Americans' first game in the tournament is March 7 against Canada at Toronto's Rogers Centre. They will play in Pool C along with Venezuela and Italy. Kazmir, 24, went 12-8 with a 3.49 ERA in 27 starts in 2008, while Howell, 25, went 6-1 with a 2.22 ERA in 64 appearances out of the Rays' bullpen. The starters for Team USA are Jake Peavy, John Lackey and Roy Oswalt, and the bullpen boasts Brian Fuentes, Joe Nathan, Scot Shields, Jonathan Broxton, B.J. Ryan, J.J. Putz, Matt Thornton and Matt Lindstrom. Kazmir's and Howell's participation could take them away from the Rays' Spring Training camp for more than three weeks. They would report to Port Charlotte, Fla., with the team on Feb. 14 and then report to the Team USA workouts on March 2. Should Team USA advance to the finals on March 23 at Dodger Stadium, Kazmir and Howell could rejoin the Rays on March 24, in time for the final 10 exhibition games of Spring Training. The provisional rosters for the Classic are due on Friday, with the final roster to be set by USA Baseball on Feb. 24.
  10. January 15, 2009, 06:28 PM ET BREAKING: Ergopharm raided by John Perrotto Barely more than a week after Major League Baseball suspended Phillies reliever J.C. Romero for 50 games for using a banned substance, the laboratory that produced the nutritional supplement that the left-hander claimed was tainted and caused him to falsely test positive has been raided by the Drug Enforcement Agency. Ergopharm?s lab, located in Champ, Ill., and owned by chemist Patrick Arnold who was part of the BALCO steroids scandal, was raided by the DEA on Thursday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation who asked not to be identified. Ergopharm produces 6-OXO, which Romero said he purchased at a General Nutrition Center in Cherry Hill, N.J. Romero also said he believed 6-OXO was not banned by MLB. Romero tested positive twice last season, on Aug. 26 and Sept. 19. The New England Office of the DEA led the raid and was assisted by local DEA and police. No arrests were made and a document warrant was served. Ergopharm, in a statement to the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday, said that ?a perfectly legal and untainted substance can cause a positive test for a banned or illegal substance.? However, MLB executive vice president and human resources Rob Manfred dismissed the idea that Romero might have tested for a false positive in an interview with MLB.com?s Barry Bloom.
  11. We agree then, especially with the renovations being made. Aren't the renovations done? We host a SB in a year. If there is more to do they better get busy. The 200 level is really nice. The food service can be pretty slow but at least they have more options than are on the 100 level. I like the expanded 100 level and think that has contributed to more dingers to RF. Have to watch where you sit as some of the sight lines leave alot to be desired. And if you stay away from those boiled hot dogs and hockey pucks they call hamburgers, the food can be tastey. Even then, because of our low attendance they don't even bother to open up alot of the concession stands, especially during the week. I can't even remember the last time I was on the 400 level, so I have no idea what has been going on up there. Funny. I sat on the 400 level last season toward the end. It was the first time since We played the Giants in the playoffs since I sat there. I was behind home plate. Friday night, cool, wind blowing. Very nice. I wasn't complaining. I'm actually purchasing tickets there this year in order to save a few bucks. I normally sit out in RF, since I think that is the rowdiest section during games. But those 400 level seats behind home plate are ok.
  12. it's always amazing to me how quickly people will turn on a player. Anibal went from an ace in 17 starts, thanks to an extremely low BABIP, to not being a major league pitcher over the course of 10 starts, thanks to a high BABIP and being rusty from injury. I was never really an Anibal fanatic to be fair. I wasn't on this board for his great rookie year, but I never saw anything special in his stuff. Plus, torn labrums are always tough to comeback from. Thats my main concern, he pitched diferently after the injury but i don't know if it is acually because of the injury or mechanic issues. I keep hearing you guys talk about the diffficulties of coming back from a torn labrum. I'll have to be honest, I am ignorant regarding this injury. Can someone please provide me w/ 2 things: 1) an example of other pitchers who have tried to comeback from this injury and failed. 2) and example of other pitchers who have comeback from this injury and succeded. Thanks in advance. :waving
  13. Wow. I am so happy right now. Imagine, we are here discussing a bunch of good players and who we should start over who. Not a bad problem to have. An excess of young talent. Love it. :umbrella
  14. Still gonna have to battle Bonifacio for a roster spot. I'd give Emilio the slight edge because of his defensive abilities. 100% incorrect. McPherson is a lock. Bonifacio can be optioned to AAA. This. Dallas could be huge for us off the bench, if he's willing to take that role. A power lefty bat off the bench is a huge asset, and its the type of bat we are seriously lacking. He's also the best option within the organization to take over at third if Gaby doesn't pan out at first. My guess is Bonifacio will be a September call up. Once we decline to give Amezaga arby in 2010, Bonifacio steps in as the replacement. Bingo. But my question is, Does Dallas really have a choice? If he is put on the list as a bench player, I say let him beat somebody else out of a job.
  15. Just watched it. LOVED IT! Man, way to psyche me up about this year. My favorite part is at the end when Larkin ends the piece w/ "If they are not playing for the championship, they're playing spoilers. If a team is going down to play the Marlins they better put their spikes on." Love it.
  16. Just plain silly. Even if the Marlins wanted to pay a journeyman $5 or $8 million a year, which is completely out of the question at face value, what would be accomplished? If you moved Uggla to third, you would be negating half his value as a player. The offensive punch you get from Uggla as a second baseman is what makes him a unique contributor. Put him at third and he is no upgrade over Cantu. Same would go for moving Hanley out of the shortstop role. He's one of top few players in the game because he plays short. Having Ramirez and Uggla as the keystone combo is the foundation of the Marlins offense. I wouldn't mess with Cantu at third base either. His defense improved in the second half and he was a solid hitter. I wouldn't hesitate to play McPherson at third, however, if Cantu could land the lefty Sanchez from SF, a deal I'm still hoping materializes. Gaby Sanchez is going to be absolutely solid at first base and at the plate ... I just know it. I'm hoping to see Maybin lead off and Hanley bat second. Hanley needs to see all the fastballs he can get. G. Sanchez third in the order. Cantu cleanup. Hermida. Uggla. Ross. And Baker. Let's start the season tomorrow. I agree w/ most of what you have to say. However, I would like to see Sanchez reaction to ML pitchers before I honor him w/ batting third. Sometimes these kids need a year or two of adjusting to ML pitchers before putting that kind of pressure on him. Baker did a good job last year. I wouldn't mind trying him out batting second before putting Sanchez there.
  17. Exactly. That's just what we need. Another infielder. :thumbdown
  18. Heck no it's not too early. Guage away. Anything to get us through to ST.
  19. Baseball owners: Time to reconsider salary cap PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. (AP) -- Some baseball owners say it may be time to reconsider a salary cap after the New York Yankees spent nearly a half-billion dollars on free agents during a recession that may cause some teams to retrench. "I would ask, if it's such a bad idea, what sport doesn't have a salary cap other than us?" Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said Wednesday. A salary cap isn't on the agenda of the major league owners meetings this week. But it could become an issue when the present collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2011 season -- especially if the economy worsens. "I think there's a lot of owners that would like to have that right now," Oakland owner Lew Wolff said. "I think the parity is what we're looking for, and the more ways you can get to parity the better. I think it's pretty good now, but I think it could be better. "It's a very good question, because maybe this recession, depression, whatever we're in may be a change for a lot more years," Wolff said. The bleak economy was on the owners' minds as they gathered at an exclusive mountainside resort to begin two days of meetings. Owners compared notes on ticket sales and sponsorships and other indicators of the economy's squeeze. Wolff said the Athletics' ticket sales are down about 10 percent from a year ago. The Brewers lost Mercedes-Benz as a sponsor but added a presenting sponsorship agreement with Potawatomi Bingo Casino -- part of an expected double-digit percentage gain in sponsorship revenue. A salary cap wouldn't solve baseball's economic issues. But some owners say it would give smaller markets a fair shot at signing top talent. "There's no question that, a market like Pittsburgh, a salary cap would be advantageous," Pirates owner Bob Nutting said. "And if that were a direction that the industry were moving, it would be advantageous to Pittsburgh, but it can't be the primary focus of how we're running our business this year and next year and the following year. We need to stay focused in the real world and not use that as an excuse." Not all owners are critical of the Yankees' acquisition of pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett and infielder Mark Teixeira. "I've been asked about the Yankees' spending," Chicago Cubs chairman Crane Kenney said. "I have no problem with what they've done. They've done it within the rules, within the confines of our agreement. "And if you look at the reality there, they've got a $1.3 billion stadium coming online," Kenney said. "They were probably relying on Wall Street to fill a lot of those seats. And they missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years. So their reaction is probably similar to what I would do, which is, you've got to put a compelling product on the field when you open the doors of that new ballpark, and that's what they did. Listen, they played within the rules, so I have no issue with it."
  20. I'm trying not too get too enthused when these stories come up. I try to remind myself, "These are the Marlins. This team will not break its bank." I also try to tell myself that Cordero is the type of player that other teams will try to snag AND overpay in the process just in the hopes that he will return to form. Not this team. So, like the Pedro rumor, I'm trying to keep focused on the reality of our situation. It's not gonna happen.
  21. Pnino replied to El Guapo's topic in Sports
    Ha. Just heard Ken Rosenthal on the Radio this morning. Stated that Pedro is looking for money in the $8 million to pitch. I laughed at that. That definitely puts us out of his services. :lolup
  22. I doubt the Angels will be trading w/ us after the back and forth over Miggy last year. I'd move on to other teams. Angels were pissed.
  23. What the heck is the deal here? I keep reading about the FO being interested than later not being interested. Does anyone have any clue as to the truth behind this story? Is it true or is false information being circulated?
  24. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-011209.article Source: Angels express interest in Dye Life ?under, under the radar," is the way White Sox general manager Ken Williams is now choosing to conduct business this off-season. That means rumors are mere whispers from dark corners, while actual news that is uncovered is met with a standard ?no comment?? from the offices on 35th and Shields. ? But the one name that has been popping up time and time again over the last few seasons is once again being heard the last two weeks. That means you Chone Figgins. According to a major-league scout, the Angels are the latest team to express interest in acquiring Jermaine Dye now that the Mark Teixeira ship has set sail to New York. Unlike the talks with the Reds that stalled during the Winter Meetings, the Sox and Angels actually have a fit. The South Siders covet speed ? with Williams telling the Sun-Times back in June that Figgins was ?interesting.?? The Angels want a power bat to offer some protection for Vladimir Guerrero and Torii Hunter. The one problem is Los Angeles has a surplus of outfielders in Hunter, Guerrero, Gary Matthews and Juan Rivera, but could convert someone to first base, as well as platoon Guerrero and Matthews in the designated hitter spot. What Dye would bring them is 137 home runs and 378 RBI since 2005 ? the most from any American League outfielder in that span. Figgins, who can play third, second and the outfield would give Williams a legitimate lead-off hitter, averaging just over 47 stolen bases a year since ?05. Because of his versatility he could fill a hole at second or move into the outfield, also allowing Carlos Quentin to move to his more natural outfield position in right field. According to the source, the Angels are not thrilled with what?s left on the free agent outfield market and do not want to be pawns in the on-going Manny Ramirez game. Dye and Hunter are good friends and the Angels are not one of the teams listed on Dye?s no-trade list.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.