Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pedro Talking With Marlins

Featured Replies

I would be interested ONLY if he got a deal very similar to Pavano, almost completely based on incentives for innings pitched.

Wow, I knew this was going to happen it was just a matter of time. Pedro will sign with the Marlins for 1year deal mark my words.

Why would we do this?

Our roration is Pretty set unless we want to give Miller another season in the minors and sign Pedro but still it would be a dumb move IMO.

 

Wait maybe this is trade bait if so then im all in.

I would be interested ONLY if he got a deal very similar to Pavano, almost completely based on incentives for innings pitched.

thats the only way it work or make sense.

Ehh he can be good when hes not hurt and he knows how to pitch. Hed be great to have to add some competition for a starting spot in the rotation.

I suspect that Pedro's agent is phoning many teams as he tries to prolong his client's career. Not unlike a call the Marlins last week fielded from a GM became for a few hours or days a rumor that a player who shall remain nameless was available and it was only a matter what the right price was, anyone can call anyone in this business and it doesn't have to mean anything. We saw what that story was made of when Gammons shone some light on it.

 

Mike Piazza's agent tried to reach out to the Fish last year, Cliff Floyd forgot all the nasty, ugly things he'd said about the Marlins for five years in hopes he could find another paycheck, Sammy Sosa, the list goes on - until we hear something more tangible from a more reputable source with more facts than Martinez' agent spoke to _______ with the Marlins, maybe I'm wrong but I doubt there's anything here.

I suspect that Pedro's agent is phoning many teams as he tries to prolong his client's career. Not unlike a call the Marlins last week fielded from a GM became for a few hours or days a rumor that a player who shall remain nameless was available and it was only a matter what the right price was, anyone can call anyone in this business and it doesn't have to mean anything. We saw what that story was made of when Gammons shone some light on it.

 

Mike Piazza's agent tried to reach out to the Fish last year, Cliff Floyd forgot all the nasty, ugly things he'd said about the Marlins for five years in hopes he could find another paycheck, Sammy Sosa, the list goes on - until we hear something more tangible from a more reputable source with more facts than than Martinez' agent spoke to _______ with the Marlins, maybe I'm wrong but I doubt there's anything here.

 

Except that the Marlins did make a bit of a play on Pavano and this is a very similar circumstance... SP that has a big injury question mark looking to get a shot... so, if the Marlins did indeed make that play on Pavano (no reason to believe they didn't, and were subsequently outbid by CLE) then the Marlins very realistically could have just taken that same offer sheet... whited out every instance of "Carl Pavano" and wrote in Pedro and said something along the lines of "take it or leave it"

Karim Garcia was a hot shot prospect flameout and is nothing more than AA/AAA fodder.

 

----

 

Pedro's probably got something left in the tank. What's more interesting would be if the Marlins would then move Anibal to Texas for one of the catchers. And if it's Max or Salty, that then makes G. Sanchez expendable to AAA, and we can acquire a 4th outfielder which we desperately need. I'd be satisfied with Anibal or Miller in the pen pulling a Wainwright for a year though.

  • Author

Karim Garcia was a hot shot prospect flameout and is nothing more than AA/AAA fodder.

 

----

 

Pedro's probably got something left in the tank. What's more interesting would be if the Marlins would then move Anibal to Texas for one of the catchers. And if it's Max or Salty, that then makes G. Sanchez expendable to AAA, and we can acquire a 4th outfielder which we desperately need. I'd be satisfied with Anibal or Miller in the pen pulling a Wainwright for a year though.

 

 

It wasn't a serious question.

I'd be extremely excited if we were to pick up Pedro. IF he's healthy, he's still going to be a very good pitcher. Like Lou said, it would also allow us to flip Anibal for Max Ramirez. I would be absolutely ecstatic if this were to go down for the right price. Of course, I'd eat my words if he hit the DL for two months of the season.

At this point in his career, it'll be Feast or Famine for the Fish is he is signed. I say go for it. He is one of my all time favorite pitcher. He was hurt all year last year and his pops passed away. I'm sure he can give us much more than he did last year for the Mutts. Lets do it.

meh, I'd rather spend that $ on a different starting pitcher, a bullpen arm, or another catcher... I feel like his arm is hanging on by a thread, a risk we don't need to take

This would be the PERFECT signing for us. That way we could put Anibal in the bullpen to start the year or have him further recover from that shoulder surgery. If Andrew Miller has control issues, we have Anibal who could come back in and take over for Miller. Signing Pedro opens up many options for us, like MarlinsLou and many of us agree, the Marlins are in need of a consistent starting pitcher who can take over for Anibal. Pedro would become the 3rd starter, moving Volstad to the 4th spot in the rotation and having Miller 5th. Would be a perfect scenario for us.

MIAMI -- Always in the market for pitching, the Marlins appear to have set their sights on a three-time Cy Young Award winner. According to ESPNdeportes.com, the club has had discussions regarding free agent Pedro Martinez. The report states that the Marlins may have begun preliminary contract talks with the 37-year-old right-hander, and the two sides are expected to continue talking next week.

 

An industry source told MLB.com that Martinez and his agent, Fernando Cuza, are in the Dominican Republic. Early next week, the source said, Martinez is expected to express his intentions to the Mets, as well as measure interest on the market.

 

Not at full strength with the Mets in 2008, Martinez went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA in 20 starts. He threw 109 innings.

 

The Marlins are looking to add a veteran presence to an otherwise young rotation that projects to include Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Chris Volstad, Andrew Miller and Anibal Sanchez.

 

Florida had interest in free agent Carl Pavano, who signed with Cleveland on Jan. 6.

 

Working with limited financial resources, the Marlins are looking for modestly priced free agents. Martinez, who has a home in Miami, would likely come at a discounted rate.

 

For his career, he has a 214-99 record.

MLB.com

Karim Garcia is a charter member of the Reggie Cleveland All Stars

 

 

 

 

He was on the 2003 Yankee team that Lost to the fish in 2003

 

Wasnt he the guy pedro threw at in the ALCS? I think so haha, ironic hes reporting this.

 

Dim I think Anibal has fully recovered but wheather or not he will ever be the same remains to be seen. Personally i dont think he ever will. I do think he could be a great guy to get rightys out though. His splits are insane.

He was on the 2003 Yankee team that Lost to the fish in 2003

 

Wasnt he the guy pedro threw at in the ALCS? I think so haha, ironic hes reporting this.

 

Dim I think Anibal has fully recovered but wheather or not he will ever be the same remains to be seen. Personally i dont think he ever will. I do think he could be a great guy to get rightys out though. His splits are insane.

 

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported it

  • Author

I should probably take the "Who is Karim Garcia?" part out of the title. Apparently, not too many people get it. :(

He was on the 2003 Yankee team that Lost to the fish in 2003

 

Wasnt he the guy pedro threw at in the ALCS? I think so haha, ironic hes reporting this.

 

Dim I think Anibal has fully recovered but wheather or not he will ever be the same remains to be seen. Personally i dont think he ever will. I do think he could be a great guy to get rightys out though. His splits are insane.

 

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported it

 

 

:banghead :banghead :banghead

I should probably take the "Who is Karim Garcia?" part out of the title. Apparently, not too many people get it. :(

 

I got it, if it makes you feel better. For the uninitiated, the story goes something like Pedro hit Karim during a Sox-Yanks game. Karim bitched. Pedro says "Who is Karim Garcia" (ie: a scrub should keep his mouth shut)

I should probably take the "Who is Karim Garcia?" part out of the title. Apparently, not too many people get it. :(

 

 

Is he not the guy who got his head thrown at by pedro. I kinda got it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.