Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pnino

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Pnino

  1. Just don't be so quick to jettison Cantu. You mentioned this in your post, but the overwhelming factor in this whole debate is the 4th outfielder. If Cantu or McPherson can do it, we don't need to make any moves besides upgrading the backup catcher. I think this basically comes down to Cantu, as McPherson's back will always be an issue. C - Baker / Right Handed Backup 1B - Cantu / G. Sanchez / Helms 2B - Uggla / Bonifacio / Amezaga SS - Hanley / Amezaga / Bonfiacio 3B - McPherson / Cantu / Helms LF - Ross / Cantu / Bonifacio CF - Maybin / Ross / Amezaga RF - Hermida / Ross / Maybin I'd want expected playing time splits of this 1B - Cantu/Gaby 81 starts each. Cantu more RHP, Gaby all LHP and some RHP 2B/SS - Mostly Hanley and Dan, just off days for the rest 3B - McPherson 80-90 vs RHP, Cantu 30 vs LHP, let Helms/Bonifacio slum the other games LF - Ross 120 vs all LHP some RHP, Cantu 30 vs RHP, Bonifacio slum the rest CF - Maybin 140 games, Ross and Amezaga splitting the rest RF - Hopefully Hermida emerges as an everyday (but if he doesn't we could try combinations of Gaby/McPherson/Cantu 1B/3B/LF and move Ross over) It basically creates options. That 4th OF spot is the big question that is left because it allows us the flexibility to move EVERYBODY around. I think it's more important to have a 4th OF to protect the uncertainty with Maybin and Hermida, versus having a billion infielders, and even the "young" ones were college kids and an older McPherson getting his career back in line. If Cantu can't do it, we need to find a guy who can play 1B/LF who can protect Gaby/Maybin/Hermida (all very important long term properties), and roll the dice with a McPherson/Helms/Bonifacio 3B situation (all not important long term properties). Speaking of 4th outfielders, whatever happened to a little known marlin known as Alejandro DeAza. I feel bad for this kid b/c the last two years he was slated to make the team and both times he got injured. Couldn't he be used as our 4th guy?
  2. I don't think anyone should make the 25 man roster just because they are out of options. The Marlins should have some players that have the team made based on past performance and everyone else should have to make the team out of spring training. The only locks on the roster should be Baker, Treanor, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Helms, Ross, Hermida, Maybin and Amezaga of the position players. The pitchers should be Johnson, Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Lindstrom, Nelson, Nunez and Pinto. The other six spots should go to the players that Fredi thinks gives his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis. This is very short sited player management. We are still emerging as a contender and need to continually build the team and preserve as much talent as possible. The Marlins have the roster space to groom McPherson and Cruz on the MLB roster and should absolutely do so. They both can turn out to be very good major league players, and it is a waste to let this guys go. Completely different class of player than the Andino and J. Delgado's of the world. This leaves four spots. I expect these option battles: 25th Man/2nd Middle Infielder - Andino versus Bonifacio 6th Reliever (RHP) - Kensing (arbitration, maybe a DFA), J. Delgado versus Tucker, Vanden Hurk, Gardner, Mobley, and minor league free agents 7th Reliever (LHP) - Meyer versus Tank. Incredible longshots to West and Thompson here The last spot will be G. Sanchez holding off the outfielders - Carroll, Raynor, De Aza. This isn't an option battle so no big deal here. I expect McPherson, Cruz, Bonifacio, Meyer, and G. Sanchez to make the team. I have no idea how the 6th bullpen spot for a 5th right hander is going to turn out. Wouldn't be shocked if it is any of them, and it really doesn't matter who. This could be a slot for someone like Pavano as well. West shouldn't even be held in consideration as the 7th reliever guy. He has too much potential as a starter, to start using him in a relief role. Weeellll... He did say incredible long shot. I would go with that. I like keeping guys in the minors that we are grooming just so they can get the starts in. But the team seems to like to make pitchers versatile. There was even a Beinfest quote on that topic recently. I'm not much of a Dallas fan. And a recent article at marlins.com about Gaby seems to imply that the battle for an IF spot is between these two guys. Take that for what it's worth, I guess. But the Winter Meetings are right around the corner. That means trades. I'm still in the "wait and see" mode right now. And there is always that early Feb, Gonzo-like signing that the team seems to pull off just about every year. Admin and Michael aren't done tinkering yet. ST could have been very interesting this year with some good battles going on for a slot n the 25 man roster. I think the WBC hurts us if the team lets anyone that wants to, to go ahead and play for for their home country. But I'm not a WBC fan either. We didn't even take advantage of the early opportunity for our seats at any of the games here. Hindsight being what it is, maybe we should have and then scalped them. I really hate the WBC. Pitchers aren't ready to go yet and they are throwing full go. I remember the last time this tournament was played when Luis Ayala of the Nationals tore up his elbow and he has never been the same. It will be interesting to see who the Marlins bring in on minor league deals to try to make the team. I would not at all be surprised to see the Marlins take some fliers on 1B or 3B with the idea of giving them a chance to compete against McPherson and Sanchez for a starting job. I disagree. The WBC is a great addition to baseball. The problem is the timing. To have this tournament at this time of the year is ridiculous. I would rather it be at the end of the baseball season when players can have the entire offseason to recover. I loved watching that tournament and look forward to it again this season.
  3. When is the first show going to air today or December 6? The way I read it, it will start today. Dec. 6 will air a special show at 10 a.m.
  4. MarlinsLou, When first reading ur post, giving up all of those players for Molina, my first thought was "ur crazy". But after finishing the post, this actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Heck, now that the stadium opening has been delayed for another year, stocking up on some first round picks sounds pretty damn good. :mis2
  5. MIAMI -- Baseball talk will be filling the South Florida airwaves and the Internet beginning on Saturday. The Marlins are launching a weekly Hot Stove Show on the team's official flagship station, 790 The Ticket (WAXY 790/AM). Each Saturday from noon to 1 p.m. ET, the show will be hosted by Josh Friedman and Marlins radio play-by-play announcer Glenn Geffner. "It's fun to talk baseball this time of year," Geffner said. "There really is no offseason in baseball anymore." The feed of the Hot Stove Show also will be made available streaming online at www.marlins.com. Listeners can call in at 1-888-790-3776, or send a text message to 74965 every Saturday afternoon. Having the show streaming on www.marlins.com opens up Marlins talk to an world-wide audience. "There are Marlins fans not just in South Florida," Geffner said. "It will be nice to have them listening on the Internet. Hopefully, we'll get a lot of people involved in the show." Friedman and Geffner will address a variety of tops ranging from free agent movement to trades. The show will feature guests from the Marlins' front office, along with Major League Baseball representatives and baseball personalities. The first show will air Saturday, with Marlins president of baseball operations Admin Beinfest as the main guest. On Dec. 6, a Winter Meetings Special will air from 10 a.m. to noon. The Hot Stove Show will air until Feb. 28.
  6. Doesn't seem like he is going anywhere. Detroit seems to have lost interest in the trade. Oh, well. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...27&srvc=rss
  7. You would think the Yanks would have learned their lesson after the Pavano fiasco. Ridiculous. It's a shame these large market teams are ruining it for other teams by overpaying for talent. Younger players similar to Burnett's numbers are salivating right now at the possibilities once they reach free agency, or for that matter, arbitration. In addition, Boras should be banned from baseball for ruining the system the way he does. I have to give him credit, he is the best at what he does. But I think of him along the lines of what happened to us w/ the housing market. It feels as if it will all come crashing down on us soon enough.
  8. Pnino replied to Pnino's topic in Miami Marlins
    I am so very sorry for the wording of the title. I will now give myself the proper punishment for my indiscretion. I humbly ask for your forgiveness: :hanged
  9. Pnino replied to Pnino's topic in Miami Marlins
    Is Jose Guillen signed this year w/ KC? Is it possible they dump him b/c of his high salary to make a spot for Hermida? KC just picked up Coco Crisp today. I also read that the Cubs are interested in David Dejesus. If he gets traded, a spot could be open.
  10. Dick Kaegel, of MLB.com, reports Kansas City Royals 3B Alex Gordon could be dealt in the offseason, given OF Mark Teahen's ability to play third base. (KFFL) Just a thought. High upside. Affordable. Is it an option? If so, what could be given up for him? If not, why? Just want to get your feedback.
  11. Agree. I believe Hudson would fit well w/ our team. He would be a great addition. As for having traded for two 2bman. I see Bonifacio sent to the minors or work off the bench for a year or two. Uggla's price will continue to rise. Soon enough he will be traded and Bonifacio will be ready to take over. Don't think bringing Bonifacio was a move made w/ the intent of having him make a big impact this year. However, he can be slowly eased to take over second in the future. Also, if Hudson is brought over, it'll probably be for only one or two years. Enough time to ease Bonifacio into the position.
  12. Keith Law calls it a heist for us Marlins get a steal for Gregg Thursday, November 13, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry Getting Jose Ceda for one year of Kevin Gregg is a heist for Florida, and could really end up as a disaster for the Cubs, given how they intend to realign their pen. The Cubs say they're going to move Carlos Marmol into the closer role, removing him from the seventh-eighth inning role where Lou Piniella was willing to stretch him out to get more than three outs in a single appearance. It also increases the chance that Marmol will be wasted in save situations where the Cubs have a three-run lead (that is, a relatively low-leverage save situation). They may use Gregg in the setup role, even though there's not much reason to anticipate he'll be more than a middle reliever in performance. Gregg has an average arsenal, sinker-slider-split, and other than occasionally running the fastball up to 94 doesn't have a plus pitch. His control is below-average, with 72 unintentional walks over the last two years in 152 innings, and only a fluky-low home run rate in 2008 kept his ERA under 4. He's not quite Antonio Alfonseca redux, but he's no replacement for Kerry Wood, either. The Marlins, meanwhile, have picked up another free arm for a player they simply didn't want or need for 2009, and this arm is very good. Ceda sits in the mid-90s with a sharp slider with hard diving action, and he has a good track record of missing bats in the minors, including 42 strikeouts in 30 AA innings this year. His stuff would play in the majors right now, and the Marlins aren't afraid to promote guys with big velocity quickly. You don't give arms like Ceda away for one year of a middle reliever's time. Nothing is guaranteed with pitchers and especially not with pitching prospects, but I could see Gregg posting a 4.50 ERA and leaving as a free agent while Ceda becomes a star reliever in Florida for the next six years. http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...e%3dkeith%2blaw Words cannot describe how hard I am going to laugh if they don't let Gregg get 25 saves to ensure Type A status. This trade isn't bad for the Cubs with 1 year of Gregg and 2 first round picks This trade is really bad for the Cubs with 1 year of Gregg and a compensatory 2nd round pick. The Cubs are not the Marlins. i don't believe they are as infatuated w/ those compensatory picks as you appear to be. It appears to me they want to win NOW. Screw the picks. If they cared about winning later they would have kept Ceda. The Marlins care about those picks. The Cubs have enough of a fan base to make the money to go and shop the free agent market. Call them stupid. But if they win the title, they got what they wanted.
  13. Kevin Gregg is a great reliever. He is not a great closer. Get off his back. He did a fine job considering he was never considered a closer. Not when he was w/ the Angles. Not when he came here. He only got the job b/c nobody else could do it. I wish him the best in Chicago.
  14. Forget the trades. Look at our team. We are almost ready to take the East. Our SP's are awesome. Pen is stocked. Offense is there. Wish we would sign Hudson and Rhodes. I'll be happy to start the season w/ them two guys on the team. Maybe we can pick up a catcher w/ very good defense. But if not, I'll be just fine w/ Baker starting.
  15. Call this what it really is......a salary dump. A shaky set up man for a guy with 30+ homers.....amazing. I agree that Jacobs is one of the worst defensive 1B in all of baseball but he can hit the ball a long way and there is no guarantee that Dallas McPherson can do that in the show. After all he has whiffed 126 times in only 371 at bats in his major league career and he has a .298 career OBP (Jacobs .318). Maybe they should also move the very overrated guy playing in RF. Wholeheartedly disagree. The Fish could totally afford keeping Jake. Unfortunately, he is not worth it. Plus, he is not needed. Are the Fish supposed to pay guy to play a position they already have filled with a player that is statistically better? As fans, we have seen salary dumps in the past. We've lived it, felt it, complained about it, etc. This is far from a salary dump. Many Fish fans agree that it is in the best interest to move on w/out Jake. Sorry you can't see this. But we are better off now.
  16. Funny. I remember me and many other people saying the same thing about the Rays about five years ago. Look at them now. KC is making solid moves to improve that team. They will be good again. This is one move that should help get them on track. I think this pushes them back a little. Just my opinion. The reason I think it helps the Royals is b/c their lineup lacks power. I agree that they have given up pitching, however, they were pretty good there. Like us, they are giving up a strength of theirs to fill a weakness. Although many agree that they have given up a lot, they did achieve the goal of putting more pop in the lineup.
  17. I hate to see a player go to Kansas City. "Sentenced" would probably be the more appropriate term. KC is like the baseball version of death row. Funny. I remember me and many other people saying the same thing about the Rays about five years ago. Look at them now. KC is making solid moves to improve that team. They will be good again. This is one move that should help get them on track.
  18. What I like about Nunez is that he has shown steady improvement consistently over the past four years. 2005 Kansas City Royals 7.55 2006 Kansas City Royals 4.73 2007 Kansas City Royals 3.92 2008 Kansas City Royals 2.98 Career Totals 4.92 I like it. :thumbup
  19. Dan Patrick is on 640 AM daily.......what host in this market can handle baseball like Sid and is a local fan? Noone since Boog left. Thanks. What time is he on?
  20. To me what makes sports talk radio more and more unbearable are the callers. That's why it's more entertaining for me to listen to ESPN Radio where you only have the hosts and guests and no callers. The most annoying thing about the local market is that one station only really knows one sport (who could that be). They should change that stupid slogan of theirs from "Where football always matters" to "Where only football matters." As for the other station, I'm just getting tired of local sports talk radio hosts openly saying they are fans of teams in other markets. For the life of me, I cannot recall hosts on WFAN or WEEI saying they were fans of other teams aside from the local teams. But here, you have Rosenberg (who is an ego maniac who needs to talk more about himself than anyone else) openly rooting for the Mets, Giants, Rangers; you have Sedano openly saying he's a Yankees fan; you have Weiner saying he's a Mets and Jets fan. I find that completely disrespectful to the market and unacceptable if I were running a local sports station! Plus, if I have to hear one more caller to 790 finish a sentence with "you know, bro," I'm going to just have to rip my arm off just so that I can have something to beat myself over the head with. You nailed it right on the head. :thumbup
  21. NOBODY in this area covers baseball as thoroughly as Sid does in this market. He is head and toes above the rest. That is why I listen. However, I kind of have a love hate relationship w/ him. Love the show b/c of the baseball coverage. BUT I hate listening to him and his biases towards the Mets. Wish we would have a local talk show host who would have as many awesome guests and cover baseball like Sid does. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen. I want Boog Back. He was fun. I also used to enjoy the Dan Patrcick show. He covered baseball pretty well. But he's also gone now. I just need my baseball fix and only Sid is the one who could do it.
  22. We got our left handed specialist. We get Sanchez back tonight. That is two big aquisitions. We are a better team today than we were yesterday. This will help us get wins. :thumbup
  23. I ask myself this question: Are we a better team after the deadline? Yes, we are. I am very happy w/ this and expect our win total to increase. We should win this divison.
  24. MAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYY!!!!!
  25. Hey, I don't care about the Angels. Remember all the talk about Detroit at the beginning of the season? They were practically given the WS before the season started. The Fish is the team everyone is afraid of. I have to worry about the Mutts tonight. I can't worry about Angels till the Final series of the season. Beinfest will lead us to the Promised land. :angel

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.