Yanks offer to Burnett

The_Punisher

Burnett is good, but he's not $16 M per year good.

His stuff sure is... If Burnett were to stay healthy for every year of that contract, it's a bargain for NY.

BUT, that's not going to happen.

A bargain?!

At $16 M per, he'd be the 5th highest paid pitcher in baseball. You honestly can't tell me Burnett is good enough to be the 5th highest paid pitcher in baseball. There are a handful of guys I can name that are much more deserving of that kind of salary. To call it a bargain is mind boggling. He'll get overpaid just like most of the Yankees players do.

His stuff sure is... If Burnett were to stay healthy for every year of that contract, it's a bargain for NY.

A bargain?!

At $16 M per, he'd be the 5th highest paid pitcher in baseball. You honestly can't tell me Burnett is good enough to be the 5th highest paid pitcher in baseball. There are a handful of guys I can name that are much more deserving of that kind of salary. To call it a bargain is mind boggling. He'll get overpaid just like most of the Yankees players do.

If he throws 200+ innings in all five of those contract years... YEA, a bargain. Everyone saw once again this year that when healthy, he IS a top 5 pitcher in the game. His stuff, since day 1 of his major league career, has always been arguably the best in the game. If he is healthy, he will win you a minimum of 15 games. In NY, with the run support he will get, he's going to win 20 a season. He is dominant.

A bargain?!

If he throws 200+ innings in all five of those contract years... YEA, a bargain. Everyone saw once again this year that when healthy, he IS a top 5 pitcher in the game. His stuff, since day 1 of his major league career, has always been arguably the best in the game. If he is healthy, he will win you a minimum of 15 games. In NY, with the run support he will get, he's going to win 20 a season. He is dominant.

Not sure which league you're watching, but if it's one where Burnett is a top 5 pitcher in the game, then it's not the same one I'm watching.

Boston Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein spoke with A.J. Burnett's agent by phone Tuesday to express the team's interest in the free-agent right-hander.

Epstein's decision to reach out and call agent Darek Braunecker was a clear sign that the Red Sox are ready to jump into the fray and compete with Toronto, the New York Yankees and several other clubs for Burnett, an 18-game winner for the Blue Jays in 2008.

Braunecker told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand on Wednesday that he had indeed heard from the Red Sox and that "there is mutual interest."

Until recently, it appeared that Boston's sights were focused primarily on a free-agent hitter -- most notably, first baseman Mark Teixeira. With Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Tim Wakefield in the rotation and Justin Masterson a candidate to move over from the bullpen, several people with knowledge of Boston's thinking had said the team wasn't interested in signing another high-priced starter.

The possibility exists that Boston is now getting involved as a ploy to drive up the price on Burnett for his other suitors -- which include three American League East rivals. But Newsday reported Tuesday that the Red Sox are now "fully engaged,'' and a source told ESPN.com that the team considers Burnett a "priority.''

"They've got a lot of balls in the air,'' the source said of the Red Sox, "but they're involved now.''

Braunecker also told 1050 ESPN New York that he is seeking a long-term deal.

"The framework of a deal is five years," he said. "If a team can't do that, they will be behind the 8-ball a little bit."

Earlier this winter, baseball officials and agents speculated that Burnett might be seeking a contract with a higher average annual value than Jason Schmidt's three-year, $47 million deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Burnett signed a five-year, $55 million contract with Toronto in December 2005, but recently exercised a contractual clause to opt out of the deal with two years and $24 million remaining.

Although a deal in the neighborhood of Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million contract with the Chicago Cubs might seem far-fetched to many baseball executives, the number of interested suitors can only serve to drive up Burnett's price.

Along with the Yankees, Blue Jays and Red Sox, the list of Burnett's top suitors includes the Baltimore Orioles, Atlanta Braves and world champion Philadelphia Phillies.

Burnett, 31, has had injury issues in his career. But he posted an 18-10 record with a 4.07 ERA this season and established career highs with 34 starts and 221 1/3 innings.

The market for front-line starting pitchers has gotten off to a fast start. The Yankees and Milwaukee Brewers have already offered CC Sabathia long-term deals worth more than $100 million each this month. And FoxSports.com, citing two unnamed executives, reported that agent Scott Boras is seeking a "Barry Zito-type" $18 million-per-year contract for 36-year-old Derek Lowe. Zito signed a seven-year, $126 million deal with the San Francisco Giants in December 2006.

Several news outlets have said the Yankees are contemplating a five-year, $80 million offer for Burnett, but those reports couldn't be confirmed. But a source said reports of Toronto making a four-year, $54 million offer to Burnett are inaccurate.

Source

Looks like Red Sox ready to join the bid war for Burnett

I'm going to play true and false with this...

If he throws 200+ innings in all five of those contract years... YEA, a bargain.

He's only thrown 200+ innings 3 times in his career... each time followed by years of under 166 IP the following 2, sans this last year

Verdict: True - but VERY unlikely to actually happen

Everyone saw once again this year that when healthy, he IS a top 5 pitcher in the game.

Johan Santana, Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay, Jake Peavy, CC Sabathia - Those are 5 without trying... AJ Burnett had an ERA+ of 105 and career of 111... that's not top 5 worthy by any means...

Cole Hamels, Roy Oswalt, Brandon Webb... I could keep going, but there's no point

Verdict: False - Not close

His stuff, since day 1 of his major league career, has always been arguably the best in the game.

No arguing this, he has great stuff

Verdict: True, semantically probably AMONG the best

If he is healthy, he will win you a minimum of 15 games.

Unless he sucks... or is very average... 1.3 WHIPs are cool!

Verdict: Plausible

In NY, with the run support he will get, he's going to win 20 a season. He is dominant.

He'll be in the SAME division he had the 105 ERA+ Which many have claimed is a career year... he will probably, at best, repeat this performance. Also, I remember when people said Randy Johnson would win 30 games in NYY because of that vaunted run support... he average 17 per season - and had an ERA of 5 for one of those

Verdict: Unlikely

Final verdict... you're overrating Burnett - Thanks for playing

damn, nice post PWG. Burnett is more likely to end up being a liability than an ace. I love the guy, and his stuff is out of this world, but his control can get erratic at times, and he has shown that he is very streaky. Obviously the yankees are infatuated with those kind of pitchers

damn, nice post PWG. Burnett is more likely to end up being a liability than an ace. I love the guy, and his stuff is out of this world, but his control can get erratic at times, and he has shown that he is very streaky. Obviously the yankees are infatuated with those kind of pitchers

He's high risk/high reward... when he's on, he can beat anyone, but over the course of a season... if he lasts a full one... he just becomes fairly average

and the truth comes out, PWG is in fact Jude Law. I would've never thought...

Rats... my cover is blown!

The way the Yankees are acting this year totally reminds me of this Sports pickle.com article

http://sportspickle.com/features/volume5/2...23-yankees.html

Yankees Not Even Sure Who They're in a Bidding War For

With the Red Sox firing the first shot of the off-season by trading for Marlins ace Josh Beckett, the Yankees are hurrying to counter with some moves of their own, going as far as to engage in bidding wars for numerous free agents they have no interest in or can't even identify by name.

"This is standard operating procedure for us," said general manager Brian Cashman. "Mr. Steinbrenner has always made it clear, if a free agent is being offered a contract by a competitor, we submit a much more lucrative counter-offer. Doesn't matter who it is."

Cashman says that specific scenario is currently being played out with nearly 100 different free agents.

"We just offered some guy ? I think he's a shortstop or maybe a reliever on the Padres, or is it the Mariners? ? anyway, we offered him 6-years, $90 million because we heard rumors that the Mets and Red Sox were interested in possibly signing him to a minor league contract," said Cashman. "We're committed to not letting him slip away to our rivals, whoever he is."

The architect of the Yankees' big spending philosophy, team owner George Steinbrenner has mandated a standard response if the team is contacted by an available player's agent.

"I've told Brian and all the guys this," said Steinbrenner. "If some agent tells us he has an offer on the table from another team, just say: 'We'll triple the dollar amount and double the years. Think it over and get back to us.' That approach usually lets us get our man in the end."

Such an aggressive style has enabled the Yankees to land some of the biggest free agents over the years, from Gary Sheffield to Hideki Matsui, but has also stuck the franchise with some stinkers.

"Granted, it backfires on us from time to time," said Cashman. "That's what happened with Tony Womack last year. We gave him two-years, $4 million after I got an anonymous call that Boston was about to sign him. Turned out it was just a prank call from Theo Epstein."

In addition to the bidding war over the shortstop or possibly reliever from the Padres or Mariners, the Yankees have multi-year, 10-figure offers on the table to ? according to Cashman ? "this one starter who used to pitch for the Devil Rays," "a Domincan outfielder from an NL West club, or at least I hope he's Domincan," "a few Royals players," "and an infielder named Jack or Jim or something like that with a J," among others.

Cashman said the Yankees are specifically focused on the Jack or Jim guy.

"I don't want us to be kicking ourselves come next September because what's-his-name with the J-name is starring for the Red Sox," he said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.