Pirates Want Treanor?

SongInTheAir

A Jack of many trades?

The Pirates, talking about shortstop Jack Wilson with several clubs, are trying to acquire catcher Matt Treanor from the Marlins, then spin both players to the Tigers, according to one major-league source.

But that possibility, first reported by Bucco Blog, was dismissed by another source as "inaccurate" and having "no foundation."

The Pirates want appropriate value for Wilson, not financial relief. Wilson, who turns 32 on Dec. 29, will earn $7.25 million next season plus an $8.4 million club option or $600,000 buyout for 2010.

The Tigers, seeking a shortstop to replace departing free agent Edgar Renteria, have long had interest in Wilson. Treanor, 32, could help fill their catching void, but almost certainly in a backup role.

Source: Ken Rosenthal, http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/88288...62&ATT=3498

A Jack of many trades?

The Pirates, talking about shortstop Jack Wilson with several clubs, are trying to acquire catcher Matt Treanor from the Marlins, then spin both players to the Tigers, according to one major-league source.

But that possibility, first reported by Bucco Blog, was dismissed by another source as "inaccurate" and having "no foundation."

The Pirates want appropriate value for Wilson, not financial relief. Wilson, who turns 32 on Dec. 29, will earn $7.25 million next season plus an $8.4 million club option or $600,000 buyout for 2010.

The Tigers, seeking a shortstop to replace departing free agent Edgar Renteria, have long had interest in Wilson. Treanor, 32, could help fill their catching void, but almost certainly in a backup role.

Source: Ken Rosenthal, http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/88288...62&ATT=3498

You have to figure that we are going to move Treanor one way or another. His pay is going to go up and you probably will have cheaper alternatives. From what I have read, Brett Hayes is very good defensively, which is what Treanor's strength is. Now that they have put Hayes on the 40 man to protect him, you'd have to figure he has the inside track on backing up Baker. That is unless they sign a Pudge or some other free agent, which I doubt will happen.

Treanor really isn't bad for a backup, he isn't particularly strong at anything but his presence works well and I trust him with young pitchers.

I'd rather have Toby Hall if we're talking about a platoon partner for Baker.

Not sure Hall is the guy as he offers the same potential we already have with Treanor. We can probably do better. I'd like to see them bring in someone from David Ross, Michael Barrett (has abused left handed pitching from 2005-2008 and has been connected to this organization before. Maybe he just needs to get out of SD), Josh Bard, Javier Valentin, Johnny Estrada, or Greg Zaun. I'm not advocating one over another, or a major league contract, but these guys have at least a little power potential, have shown it in the recent seasons, and should be pretty low cost. Also, we have playing time to give in 2009 as Baker won't be starting 130 games. We are a good team for a once highly thought of catcher to try and get some playing time with for that reason, plus we do have an excellent starting rotation and can legitimately be a contender. Very attractive job for one of these guys.

Treanor really isn't bad for a backup, he isn't particularly strong at anything but his presence works well and I trust him with young pitchers.

Not sure Hall is the guy as he offers the same potential we already have with Treanor. We can probably do better. I'd like to see them bring in someone from David Ross, Michael Barrett (has abused left handed pitching from 2005-2008 and has been connected to this organization before. Maybe he just needs to get out of SD), Josh Bard, Javier Valentin, Johnny Estrada, or Greg Zaun. I'm not advocating one over another, or a major league contract, but these guys have at least a little power potential, have shown it in the recent seasons, and should be pretty low cost. Also, we have playing time to give in 2009 as Baker won't be starting 130 games. We are a good team for a once highly thought of catcher to try and get some playing time with for that reason, plus we do have an excellent starting rotation and can legitimately be a contender. Very attractive job for one of these guys.

Michael Barrett seems attractive because of his offensive potential, but I saw this guy get run out of Chicago and there were good reasons for it. He just can't field his position adequately and is just a major liability out there.

Maybe the Marlins should hit the trade market and look for a catcher that Baker can back up. After all, Texas has 4 pretty decent catchers and they need pitching which is something the Marlins do have. I wonder which one of them they would give up for Anibal Sanchez?

I really like Treanor, he's as solid a backup as they come really... But if he's actually worth something, deal him.

I agree, and I'm surprised to see so many people willing to deal Treanor for nothing. Maybe it's because I'm comfortable with Baker as a starter and Treanor as a backup, while most want to see Baker platoon, ideally, with someone not Treanor. That I understand.

Maybe the Marlins should hit the trade market and look for a catcher that Baker can back up. After all, Texas has 4 pretty decent catchers and they need pitching which is something the Marlins do have. I wonder which one of them they would give up for Anibal Sanchez?

Trading Anibal is a bad idea when your 5th starter competition would be, your favorite, Dan Meyer, versus Rich Vanden Hurk. And shame on the front office if they made a move like this and Pavano comes in. We are also lacking in the minors with West being the only great one, and huge question marks with Thompson, Trahern, and that's really the cumulation of decent SP candidates in the upper minors. Not the time to be moving SP. We need to preserve all our SP arms and let the bullpen sort itself out.

The only guy I think we can survive with off this team is Cantu. I'd try to do something hilarious, like try to move him to San Francisco, along with Amezaga, Treanor, AND Kensing (this is for salary deflection reasons, those 4 are going to make around $7 million combined) for Benji Molina and a few A ball fireballer arms SF doesn't care about right now. With Sandoval around, I don't think they'd care. They need a 3B badly and have Cantu's rights for 2 years, get their probable 2B or SS starter to groom Buriss, and Kensing would easily make their pen. The fun thing is, Molina is a Type A free agent after 2009 as long as we start him even 80 games, so we'd get huge two first round compensatory picks for him (which is probably more valuable than anything else we get back in trade looking at our offseason deals for marginal starting players), and we'd be able to completely protect Baker for a year to truly ease him into a role if he struggles (which is very likely). This is all at payroll neutral, and the rest of the field would be impacted only by having G. Sanchez/McPherson as the corner starters, Andino as the 25th man, and the bullpen takes no hit with all the reenforcements we have. All the team would have to do is acquire a left handed dude for 1B/LF to help out Gaby Sanchez at 1B and be the 4th outfielder, and that's that. 25 man roster done besides the intense 5/6/7 battle for the bullpen. Someone is going to freak out by this paragraph, so I am done wild playstation baseball speculating as 03 puts it, but the point is, it's going to take something absolutely wild for us to acquire a legit catcher as we've traded off our good expendable chips already. I find it pretty unlikely at this point.

MarlinsLou,

When first reading ur post, giving up all of those players for Molina, my first thought was "ur crazy". But after finishing the post, this actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Heck, now that the stadium opening has been delayed for another year, stocking up on some first round picks sounds pretty damn good. :mis2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.