Was this deal discussed?

Teal Shadow

I hear the Yankees, Reds , and Marlins had discuss trading some players. What player were discussed? Reds OF Stephen Smitherman or RHP John Riedling?, Yankees RHP Jose Contreras?, Abe Nunez?, Ramon Castro?, anybody have a clue?????????

Would the Marlins get Contreras? or the Reds?

Was Castro and Nunez involved, if any?

Why did the Reds kill the deal? did they offer too much for so little in return?

How much $$$$ will the Yankees eat of Contreras contract?

some interesting question :hat

NY needs a real SP for the 5th starter role.

Contreras totally DOMINATED the Reds in multiple spring games so i can see why that team would think highly of him.

Despite being paid like a SP Jose would be a great relief pitcher.

I dont know his exact $ numbers but he is right now a headcase for joe and Mel in NY they seem to be lost with handling him, it is nto a STUFF issue its just a total lack of confidence and focus.

his split finger pitch comes in at a consistent 95, imagine what Rosie could do with him :mischief2

The trade rumor was Penny/Pavano for Jose Contreras.

AROUND THE HORN

Mesa, who now makes his offseason home in Miramar, gladly would have signed with the Marlins had they approached him last winter. He says a member of the Marlins' coaching staff told him the club tried to trade for him last July, in between an abortive bid for Benitez and a deal for Ugueth Urbina.

Had things worked out differently, Mesa could have been on the mound last October at Pro Player Stadium, erasing the bad memories of his blown save at the '97 World Series. "Tell me about it," he said with a laugh. ...

Cairo said the Marlins were among the handful of teams that expressed interest in signing him last winter, along with the Mets and Phillies. But, Cairo said, "You don't pass up the Yankees. When the New York Yankees want you, it's for a reason. I'm really glad that I'm here." ...

Cuban defector Ariel Prieto exercised an out clause in his minor league contract with the Tigers on May 1 and became a free agent. The Miami resident was considering several offers to pitch in Mexico but wasn't interested in any more minor league time, said agent Oscar Suarez. Maybe Prieto could help out the Marlins' bullpen....

The Braves already have been told they have to cut another $10 million or so off the payroll for next season. That's one reason why their people are gauging interest in (gulp) Andruw Jones. He's in the third year of a six-year, $75 million contract. He's also noticeably heavier this year, scouts say. ...

Six weeks into the season, one major league scout says he wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs and Angels meet in the World Series. "The Cubs have great starting pitching, a solid bullpen and a strong lineup," the scout said. "The Angels have a deep bullpen, a strong lineup and a solid rotation. The Angels might be the single-best team I've seen out there so far." ... A Cubs-Angels matchup would give us a managerial rematch of the 2002 Series. ...

The Yankees would love to get their hands on Brad Penny (arbitration) or Carl Pavano (free agent) but realize they won't unless the Marlins somehow fall from contention. Likely trade bait could include Jose Contreras (and his 9.47 ERA), and the Yankees might be willing to pay some of his $8 million annual salary (through 2006). ...

According to STATS Inc., the Indians are the youngest team in the AL with an average age of 28.45 years. The Tigers are second-youngest at 28.71. Only the Expos (27.75) and Pirates (28.2) are younger in the NL. Oldest teams? Those would be the Mariners (32.1), Mets (31.4) and Red Sox (31.1)....

Royals reliever Curtis Leskanic plans to pitch through a sore shoulder, in part because he plans to retire after this season. ...

One baseball man on the resurgent Rangers: "They probably have the best young lineup in baseball, and once Adrian Gonzalez gets there it will be that much better. He's the real deal. Buck Showalter has done a real nice job putting some pieces in place. Still, they'll probably wind up the best third-place team in the game." ...

One night after losing to the Yankees 8-7 in 10 innings in a game that didn't end until almost 2 a.m., the Angels found the following message on the lineup card on the clubhouse wall: "Because two out of three ain't bad -- Meat Loaf." Alas, it was the Yankees who wound up taking the series. ...

With $19 million coming off the books after this season and another $6 million in reserve should they need it this year, the Tigers could be major players on the free-agent market next winter. Already there is speculation they could make a play for Boston's Derek Lowe, a Dearborn, Mich., native. ...

Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella has Type 2 diabetes and has begun taking medication to control his blood-sugar level. Piniella, 60, quit smoking before spring training and has gone on a diet, but he admits the losing is getting to him. "Losing just beats you," he said. "I mean it really does. It just beats you, like somebody hitting you with a damn sledgehammer." ...

Scouts say Rangers rookie lefty Erasmo Ramirez is a real find. His fastball sits in the mid 80s, but they compare his 65-mph changeup to Keith Foulke's. ... One scout on deposed Arizona closer Matt Mantei: "His stuff is still there. He just gave up a few home runs on fastballs up, and they made him the scapegoat. He's never been a thinking-man's pitcher, but I'd still take him in a second." ...

One baseball man says Pedro Martinez could be shocked at the reception should he hit the open market: "He's just not a $15 million-a-year pitcher anymore. If [Greg] Maddux wound up taking $8 million a year, I'd say that's about where Pedro should fall. His fastball doesn't go much past 90 mph anymore. He's doing it with guts and brains. Like Maddux." ...

More bad news for the Expos, who lost top pitching prospect Seung Song for the next three months when he suffered a broken right forearm while trying to break up a double play at Triple-A. ...

At least Expos GM Omar Minaya continues trying to work out contract extensions for two of his best hitters: Orlando Cabrera and Brad Wilkerson. Who will wind up paying for those remains anybody's guess.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mik...ports-headlines

pay half of his salary and we can talk.

I hope you're kidding. Why would we want Contreras and his 9.47 ERA? He was decent last year but this is now. And he's 32. Who knows how long he'll be effective. We get nothing out of that deal and lose a lot. Terrible idea. Instead of talking about a cactcher/SS/bullpen guy we're talking about another starter? Stupid.

pay half of his salary and we can talk.

I hope you're kidding. Why would we want Contreras and his 9.47 ERA? He was decent last year but this is now. And he's 32. Who knows how long he'll be effective. We get nothing out of that deal and lose a lot. Terrible idea. Instead of talking about a cactcher/SS/bullpen guy we're talking about another starter? Stupid. Not only his ERA, that guy is old as hell and has pitched bad since coming from Cuba.

I spoke about this with a Yankee fan and we seemed to come to an agreement:

Jayson Stark spun it as if the Marlins were the masterminds behind the deal and that the biggest name involved would be Contreras, implying that he would be coming to the Marlins...probably to be a starter until Burnett came back, then he'd move to the pen.

However, we seemed to think that the Marlins had the pieces to get Contreras for themselves, meaning it seemed odd that the Reds were involved.

So the conclusion we came to was that the Reds would probably end up with Contreras, the Marlins with Riedling, and the Yankees with Nunez. This was the simplest one for one for one scenario we could think of.

It works for all parties involved because: the Yankees get rid of Contreras and part of his salary (maybe all of it, who knows), they get a young(er) OF prospect, and their system is pretty bare so Nunez would be an upgrade to anything in their system, and Sheffield and Williams and Lofton aren't getting yonger so they could use some young OF help.

The Reds get a guy who's versatile enough to start and set up for them, although he's got a pretty hefty price tag.

And the Marlins get a guy they've coveted for at least the entire season, while giving up Nunez, who really doesn't have a place on this team right now...

Again, this is just what we came up with, but it makes some sense.

Pavano will not be a Marlin next year. The Marlins have to be salivating at having Penny, Beckett, Willis and a 100% healthy AJ in the starting rotation on opening day next year.

If the Marlins are out of it at the deadline (I doubt it) they will deal Pavano for some significant prospects.

Contreras' Contract:

2003 4 mil

2004 7 mil

2005 7 mil

2006 8 mil

signing bonus paid out as follows 2 mill in 2003 & 2004 1 mil in 2005 & 2006.

This is what is wrong with baseball. What a terrible contract. The guy supposedly has great stuff but has to learn how to do some basic things like hold runners on. Can anyone afford to be patient with the guy with that contract? Will eventually make a great reliever but when? August or next year?

Unless we get Contreras for Nunez, no thanks. I dont think any of our starters are going to be traded and they shouldnt be. Penny, Beckett, Burnett and Willis will dominate for the next 10+ years. Just ask the Braves how that formula worked for them.

That said, I dont see any reason why Pavs wouldnt come back. If we win, and get to the playoffs, why would he want to go anywhere else if the money is close? New stadium on the horizon, sunny S. Fl, no income tax...this is the place to be badda boom badda bing.

Generally, I agree with GoBucks.

I think there's a chance the Marlins can hold onto Pavano for one more season (2005) but it's an "iffy" thing and he's probably right that this is his last season as a Fish.

As for Contreras, better his contract is with the Yankees than us. Bringing in a guy like him to underachieve and be over compensated sends exactly the wrong message for the Marlins to send.

I hope the Marlins can strike a deal with Helling (assuming of course that he's healed and can get his velocity up) because his presence allows the team to begin to make other moves. But to bring in Contreras would be a horrible error in judgement and I'm confident the FO won't make that mistake.

Generally, I agree with GoBucks.

I think there's a chance the Marlins can hold onto Pavano for one more season (2005) but it's an "iffy" thing and he's probably right that this is his last season as a Fish.

As for Contreras, better his contract is with the Yankees than us. Bringing in a guy like him to underachieve and be over compensated sends exactly the wrong message for the Marlins to send.

I hope the Marlins can strike a deal with Helling (assuming of course that he's healed and can get his velocity up) because his presence allows the team to begin to make other moves. But to bring in Contreras would be a horrible error in judgement and I'm confident the FO won't make that mistake.

Pavano will be the 1# (attractive $$/age) free agent pitcher on the market. I doubt he'll be back next season.