Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Griffey Glare

Featured Replies

What do you guys think of Griffey's little glare over to Jack McKeon? Personally, I thought the stare itself was pretty bad ass.

 

Griffey has been slighted like this 3 times this year and that has to bother him being a future HOF and on the verge of reaching 500 dingers.

 

I also have heard through Gammons (i know, I know) that Griffey and McKeon have a little history. The only person the glare was aimed at was McKeon, I believe. Not Beckett or anyone else.

 

Beckett took offense however:

 

''That's [expletive],'' Beckett replied when informed of Griffey's icy stare. ``I do take offense to that. I don't [care] if he's a Hall of Famer or not. I don't think I'll forget it. I don't know what the hell he was staring at.''

 

I like this series and the players on both sides, I don't want it to turn into some Phillies/Marlins type of thing...

 

One thing is for sure, McKeon won't test Griffey again. :cool

 

Thoughts?

Methinks the next time Beckett has an outing against Griffey, Beckett will lay one right on him.

 

:whistle

Honestly, Griffey is entitled to stare, but I don't think this was a move against him personally. From a purely strategical standpoint it makes sense to intentionally walk a hitter to put a runner on first and set up a possible inning ending double play. It's when the variables are included that the choice gets a little sketchy.

 

I'm not going to take any offense to him doing so, nor will I say that he should have. I'll just take the middle road because honestly, it doesn't matter either way. Brad isn't going to knock him down or anything.

  • Author

It would be quite unessesary...but whatever floats his boat. Throwing at Griffey isn't wise as him angry leads to production, as we all found out.

 

Again, it wasn't aimed at Beckett. I just think Beckett is still a little steamed about the pitch...

 

 

Ahhh...drama. :D

Was the stare at Beckett or Mckeon because I could be wrong here but maybe there was something between the two when Jack was in Cincy? Possibly why Jack got fired? haha I don't know its late and I'm just stirring things around

it was at Jack supposedly

 

yes, supposedly Griff helped to get Mack fired( I think)

I agree with the decision to walk to get to Griffey. The whole Pudge situation shows that we're not giving respect to people based on what they did in the past, and Griffey right now is a hot .240-something hitter, so we said "beat us" and unfortunately he did. However, I take great offense at him staring at our dugout rounding 3rd and heading home. I have a lot of respect for the greats of our game, but whenever you try to "show someone up," all bets are off.

 

Phelps tomorrow better put one in his ribs. This is twice in two years Griffey has unnecessarily showboated on us. I don't know if any of you remember the game last year (the Dempster bobble head game) when Griffey hit 2 homeruns, one to tie the game in the ninth, one to win it in extras, but Griffey did a "shooter" thing aimed at our dugout, so I definitely think he deserves to wear one. It's part of the game.

 

I mean, if Lowell was plunked we'd be calling for retaliation...

How about a nice Brad Penny fastball up and in on Thursday? :thumbup

 

I'd say tomorrow but we got Phelps going for us.

  • Author

Apparently, Larkin and Griffey were granted permission to leave a game earlyt o fly back home on the last game of the year when McKeon was here and McKeon didnt like that so he went public with his criticism of Griffey and Larkin. Both were highly upset because I think both were injured and were given permission.

 

In any event, I don't think this was "showing up the marlins", I saw it as a message to McKeon not to disrespect.

 

Griffey:

.252 avg

.535 SLG

37 RBI

11 HR

 

May 04

391 OPB

667 SLG

1.058 OPS

 

His average isnt all that great but its not like he is the pitcher batting...I could probably go back through many lineups of all the games this season and not find 1 or 2 times (besides Griffey) where someone is walked to get to a player with similiar numbers and expecially not a future HOF who appears to be back to his old ways.

 

I can understand the move in a statistical sense (trying to get Griff to GO or SO) but from a gut stance... not the greatest move by McKeon.

Phelps tomorrow better put one in his ribs

 

No way. If we want revenge, we buckle up and win game 2 and 3 of the series. This team is yet to prove it can beat the best teams

Throwing at Griffey isn't wise as him angry leads to production, as we all found out.

No, I think we all found out a hot Griffey mixed with a fastball right in his kitchen equals a ginormous dinger.

  • Author

No, I think we all found out a hot Griffey mixed with a fastball right in his kitchen equals a ginormous dinger.

Yea...thats probably more correct. Griffey has been pretty upset but it was based more on the media making him out to be some monster in Cincy who likes to eat cats and take candy from kids. he wasn't ripping the cover off the ball then...so it probably has more to do with Griffey just having fun now because the reds are playing as a unit for once.

No, I think we all found out a hot Griffey mixed with a fastball right in his kitchen equals a ginormous dinger.

Yea...thats probably more correct. Griffey has been pretty upset but it was based more on the media making him out to be some monster in Cincy who likes to eat cats and take candy from kids. he wasn't ripping the cover off the ball then...so it probably has more to do with Griffey just having fun now because the reds are playing as a unit for once. Honestly, I'm rootin' for Griffey (one of my favs) and the Reds, just not against us. :thumbup

Griffey should be careful. A well placed fastball can put him out for yet another season.

Any Marlin pitcher who throws at someone on purpose will go on my hate list forever. You never know when that base runner may be the winning run in a game.

 

Being the pro he is, Griffey played them both like a Steinway and earned the right to sneer.

 

It was a good choice in abstract terms, but young Josh in that situation was a poor choice to throw the junk balls necessary to force what was wanted. It was very much a mental situation requiring a real pitcher rather than a thrower. Three straight changes probably would have fanned Griffey in 3 pitches, but the boy hasn't learned to be that sneaky yet... any Marlin pitcher who throws at someone on purpose goes on your hate list forever?

 

hey, you should probably add to your "forever hate list" oh, i dunno.... like EVERY MARLINS STARTER. i'm pretty sure every single one of them has beaned or aimed for a guy at some point.

 

& as for Josh, apparently he was smart enough to fan Griffey on 3 straight pitches the first at-bat.... he just didn't locate his pitch on the homer. Casto's glove was set up outside & Josh threw it middle-in.

 

I winced even before Griffey hit it when I saw where that pitch was located.

 

 

As far as retaliation.... I dunno. I don't get the disrespect thing sometimes. You're angry at the other coach for walking the guy in front of you? Look what you just had the opportunity to do! Why not just be happy you hit the damn homer? Staring down an 80-year coach. Tough guy.

 

I don't think you'd see Lowell trying to show up someone after a homer.

 

Anyway I'm generally happy for Junior just to stay healthy & get some appreciation from the Cincy fans. He's been through a lot there.

 

That being said, wouldn't bother me at all if Tommy Phelps gave him one in the shoulder tonight. Wonder if he feels he should back up McKeon since Jack just gave him a start? :mischief2

he just didn't locate his fastball on the homer. Casto's glove was set up outside & Josh threw it middle-in.

Actually, Castro set-up down and away, and it was like you said, belt-high, middle-in.

I'm hoping something happens. Either we beat them the next two game or a plunk. It's disrespectful what he did.

 

When the HELL was the last time a Marlins did that? Lowell and Cabrera hit some jacks but never stare. Lowell three home run game, what did he do? He trotted the bases and sat down. If we do plunk Griffey, I hope he's not mad because he pretty much started it with his stupid glare.

 

Penny plunk = Griffey on the DL.

Penny plunk = Griffey on the DL.

add to that a 5 day game suspension and an Oliver start.

 

I'll be pissed if they plunk anyone on purpose. We need to beat them big on game 2 and 3, that's how you get revenge. This team needs to start showing what are they made of.

Penny plunk = Griffey on the DL.

add to that a 5 day game suspension and an Oliver start.

 

I'll be pissed if they plunk anyone on purpose. We need to beat them big on game 2 and 3, that's how you get revenge. This team needs to start showing what are they made of. Can't just let Griffey show us up. They need to do something. Either a plunk or winning the next two games, the Marlins have to show they aren't gonna take that crap. They did it last year and they need to do it this year.

Well yeah, if you intentionally walk the guy in front of Griffey, and he smacks the first pitch halfway to Kentucky, of course your going to get a glare.

 

I personally thought it was awesome, and everybody around here would agree if he had done it against anybody but the Marlins.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.