Why the Marlins won't go out and get a bat?

:plain That's the bottomline, a relief pitcher is much cheaper that a big RBI producing bat. It very simple. As of right now there hands are tied. Niner won't be and shouldn't be traded, so he sit there making 3 million a year (batting .180 something with RISP). Wil Cordero is sitting on the DL (collecting a check) making 600,000.

A Big Bat will cost $$$$$ or the farm for the other team to take part of the salary.

Do I think they'll get that big bat? NO(as of right now June 19 2004) they'll live and die with Niner.Which in turn will probable be our downfall.

What I can't understand is some on this board being so deadset on telling all us that we don't need a bat. WHAT??? If Lowell ain't jacking one out or Miggy having a 4-4 night or our starters going 9 shutout innings.WE DON'T WIN

If they think this offense is going to get us to Oct.(or for that Sept.) there fooling themselves...NOT US

Well said.

Also all of the offseason moves we made strictly had to do with money and nothing else. If we had an unlimited amount of money to resign all of the players we lost in the offseason we would have. If we had to pick up the majority of Koch's remaining contract rather than just a small fraction (500k), we wouldn't have done that deal.

There are cheap bats out there with teams willing to deal them, we just have to find a way. There are other gems out there like Choi which are dirt cheap, Choi is a good example.

Mabye if Loria makes some more art deals he'll be able to buy us Beltran, haha.

I find this to be completely untrue

I blame jack for not setting the lineup right

Cabrera and Lowell are only two people but they provide good enough protection in the lineup that if you were to move 1 bat in front of them you would get more production

Cabrera and Lowell don't need to be batting 3rd and 4th

I think we should be trying out someone else at the 3 hole, like Choi or Gonzalez (yea, I said it).

Last year Cabrera batted in the 5 hole (right?) Everything worked out great. We need to take that same 2003 lineup and replace pudge's vacant 3 hole with someone and leave the rest the same.

I think its worth a try.

Besides, tonight we scored a decent amount of runs...what lost us the game tonight was defense with THREE errors.

Cabrera and Lowell are only two people but they provide good enough protection in the lineup that if you were to move 1 bat in front of them you would get more production

I think we should be trying out someone else at the 3 hole, like Choi or Gonzalez (yea, I said it).

Last year Cabrera batted in the 5 hole (right?) Everything worked out great. We need to take that same 2003 lineup and replace pudge's vacant 3 hole with someone and leave the rest the same.

I think its worth a try.

Besides, tonight we scored a decent amount of runs...what lost us the game tonight was defense with THREE errors.

one difference: no pudge

that's y miggys batting 3rd

I think its worth a try.

that's y miggys batting 3rd Exactly...maybe Cabrera isn't a good fit for the 3 hole though

Maybe he should bat 4th? 5th?

I'm saying that I think moving someone in front of Lowell and Cabrera can help them be a better hitter

I've always been for moving Choi to the 3rd hole. The man gets on base, he'd be perfect for it.

Choi swings and misses more than anyone on our team. are you sure you want him up with JP and Lou running? I'm not sure if I want JP and Luis running, have you seen their stolen base percentage?

There are plenty of cheap decent bats the Marlins could pick up. I'm guessing they're gonna stick with Conine until the end of the month. If he continues to suck with RISP, I think they'll make a trade for someone. Conine has had his chances.

Redmond has 29 AB's with RISP and has 18 RBI's with a .414 AVG.

Conine has 52 AB's with RISP and has just 14 RBI's with a .173 AVG.

I'm tired of seeing him up there and keep failing. He's so late on pitches. And it's not even a week or two slump. He's been terrible all year. Mr Marlin or not, he should get no special treatment. Do whatever it takes to win.

It's nice to still be in first place in our division, that's for sure.

But there is a big difference from last year.

In 2003, the team had turned the corner and was starting to produce. We went 16-11 in June.

So far in 2004 we are 7-10 in June...and heading in the wrong direction. Both the offense and bullpen have struggled. We made some changes to the BP that should help out....now it's time to shore up the offense.

Yes, we need another bat, and the most likely place to look is LF, an RBI position.

I'd like to see Choi hit third.

Castillo

Gonzalez

Choi

Lowell

Cabrera

Conine

Pierre

Redmond/Treanor

Pitcher

thats my lineup...except with pierre and castillo at the top I like Sea Bass at the top right now. Change his mindset.

Put JP lower so he can get on base for Red/Treanor who hit well with RISP and start rallies.

I think its worth a try.

that's y miggys batting 3rd Exactly...maybe Cabrera isn't a good fit for the 3 hole though

Maybe he should bat 4th? 5th?

I'm saying that I think moving someone in front of Lowell and Cabrera can help them be a better hitter BINGO!

everybody is hitting in a spot there probable not comfortable with...by the way a number 3# hole batter is a big bat($$$$). He's your best hitter