One piece away??? Why the Marlins will get better.

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

is this team one piece away from being complete???

the last piece being a bat. our HOME record must and will improve.

Starting Pitching

Josh Beckett

Brad Penny

Dontrelle Willis

Carl Pavano

AJ Burnett

lineup

CF Pierre

2B Castillo

RF Beltran???

3B Lowell

LF Cabrera

1B Choi/Conine

C Redmond

SS Gonzalez

P

Bullpen

7th Oliver

8th Koch

9th Benitez

beinfest best be on the :call

I was looking at our stats on ESPN, and this is interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/lineup?team=fla

Conine has the best OPS for the #5 and #6 slots followed by Choi, but Conine's OPS at #6 is .805 and at #5 .625.

So according to this, we should have this lineup.

Pierre

Castillo

Cabrera

Lowell

Choi

Conine

Redmond/Treanor

Gonzalez

Pitcher

Guest FishFanInPA

The world is not over...this division stinks...The Phillies are the definition of inconsistent and we have the best staff in the NL. We have a GM who will get the pieces we need and we have the best leadoff hitter in baseball. Things look bleak but I like out future. We have a full deck.

Guest FishFanInPA

My fear is we have a bad series with ATL, get swept by Tampa, then drop 5 games out by the All Star Game against a hot Philly team.

But fears are just irrational things we want to control but cannot.

We're taking two of three from Atlanta, sweeping Tampa and then taking it to Philly.......There's no way we will ever be more then three games down at any point this season.

My fear is we have a bad series with ATL, get swept by Tampa, then drop 5 games out by the All Star Game against a hot Philly team.

But fears are just irrational things we want to control but cannot.

We're taking two of three from Atlanta, sweeping Tampa and then taking it to Philly.......There's no way we will ever be more then three games down at any point this season. Thank you for the reassurance.

The world is not over...this division stinks...The Phillies are the definition of inconsistent and we have the best staff in the NL. We have a GM who will get the pieces we need and we have the best leadoff hitter in baseball. Things look bleak but I like out future. We have a full deck.

Marlins aren't exactly the most consistent teams either, but this team is close. If Beinfest can find that right piece of the puzzle then the team is bound to take off. Need to start to start this Tuesday though and get back in the win column

If we get another bat of some kind, I will feel much better. It was annoying to see that it took us 9 innings to score 2 runs today, but Hank Blalock did that in the 11th with one swing. We need that ability.

we have that ability, we just havent been getting it done

i mean cabrera, lowell, and choi can all hit 30+ home runs in a season...

I think theres every reason to be optimistic. Pretty much since the hot start in April we've been treading water and despite that we've held first place. We really haven't come close to hitting all cylinders yet. We'll get what we need (and we don't need much). In Beinfest I trust.

Guest Moneyball

i think the fact that we have treaded water since starting 8-1 and still in first means a higher power is helping us for a reason.

If we get another bat of some kind, I will feel much better. It was annoying to see that it took us 9 innings to score 2 runs today, but Hank Blalock did that in the 11th with one swing. We need that ability.

we have that ability, we just havent been getting it done

i mean cabrera, lowell, and choi can all hit 30+ home runs in a season... yeah but thats only 3people in the lineup we need one more bat it doesnt even have to be that good just a 280hitter.

Good point. Coming into this year I thought we had one of the deepest lineups when it came to power. Choi, Conine, Miggy, Lowell, Castro/Redmond I thought were capable of putting up 15+ HRs each.

However it has worked out that we're reliant on piecing together and manufacturing runs. When we aren't running and pressuring the opponent's defense the offense isn't as effective (and yes, we still have speed. Alex, Miggy and Choi have above-average speed). When no more than 2 or 3 are producing on any given night the runs aren't coming.

Now the question is do we try to make it work with the existing players or do we add a slugger?

Guest Moneyball

Now the question is do we try to make it work with the existing players or do we add a slugger?

we've tried it for the last 3 months it hasn't worked. it's time to make a trade

The marlins are 2 pieces away IMO.

1. A bat, preferably an OF since I don't think Conine cuts it anymore (sorry guys).

2. An arm in the bullpen.

As for #2, you guys need another arm in the bullpen, even if Koch does his job. Koch and Benitez isn't enough in the bullpen, and you need 1 more proven guy down there before I will be sold on the pen.

EDIT: I like the Rondell White Idea Iowa, that would be a stellar pickup.

Manzanillo and Oliver have made the bullpen look a little stronger lately.

I'm not sold on Manzanillo as a long term answer down there, but I like what I see from Oliver, he could turn out to be a major asset in the pen. So far so good with those two guys though. It's better than Borland, Bump, and Howard.

If we want a trade that Beinfest could get done right now, I would call up Kansas City and try to get Matt Stairs and one of their relievers. (Sullivan, Seanez, or Grimsley). Stairs might not be a big name bat but he's a proven hitter that can play left field, has pop and hits right-handed pitching very well. This would be a very low cost deal farm-wise, also.