Big-hitting prospect gets a new view

Big-hitting prospect gets a new view

By Juan C. Rodriguez

Staff Writer

Posted June 21 2004

The Marlins have moved their best minor league hitter from third base to the outfield with an eye toward getting him to the majors.

Sound familiar?

A season after accelerating Miguel Cabrera's ascent to the big leagues with a position switch, the Marlins are trying it again with Triple-A Albuquerque third baseman Joe Dillon.

Dillon started in left field for the first time this season Sunday in Nashville. The Marlins, who have scored two runs or fewer in three of their past four games, are more interested in Dillon's bat than his glove.

Dillon, 28, entered Sunday's game hitting .384 (53 for 148) with 17 homers, 40 RBI and a 1.304 on-base plus slugging percentage through 37 games for the Isotopes.

Like Cabrera last season, Dillon has played primarily third base, making a combined 59 starts there between Double-A Carolina and Albuquerque. Dillon also has started 11 games at first and second for the Isotopes.

Predicating the move was an offense that has scored two runs or fewer eight times since June 2. The Marlins also have concerns about Jeff Conine's right shoulder.

Conine missed two games earlier this week after receiving a second cortisone shot for an inflamed joint. The injury is a bigger hindrance hitting than throwing, but Conine could find himself in a first-base platoon with Hee Seop Choi if the Marlins promote Dillon.

Though he went 1 for 4 and knocked in the Marlins' first run with a groundout, Conine's average with runners in scoring position dipped to .167 (9 for 54).

"We're missing something," manager Jack McKeon said. "I don't know what it is. Don't forget, we lost three bats out of the lineup from last year's team. We got guys who replaced them, but we're not in sync yet."

Added third baseman Mike Lowell: "We don't need more hitters. We need everybody to do a little better ... We've run into some good pitching, but we haven't been executing like we should."

Link to Article

Could Dillon be the extra bat we need? Someone keep us posted on Dillon's transition to the OF.

Considering he was hitting 40 points higher just a very short time ago (approx .420) he seems to be in slump right now. If I remember correctly (and no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) we got him either from the Chicago Cubs in a trade or they cut him and 'Topes picked him.

In the past he's been cosidered something of a minor league journeyman ala Admin Sutton. Perhaps he's a late-bloomer and is finally ready for the bigs. Let's hope if he gets called up he can bring some fire to this smoldering offense of ours.

Considering he was hitting 40 points higher just a very short time ago (approx .420) he seems to be in slump right now. If I remember correctly (and no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) we got him either from the Chicago Cubs in a trade or they cut him and 'Topes picked him.

In the past he's been cosidered something of a minor league journeyman ala Admin Sutton. Perhaps he's a late-bloomer and is finally ready for the bigs. Let's hope if he gets called up he can bring some fire to this smoldering offense of ours.

He was out of baseball last year and was just a guy that was signed to take a roster spot this spring.

Woo. Let's see if he can hit major league pitching in the regular season. Something that other older 'prospect' we have in the outfield (WTFNUNEZ) hasn't.

Dillon was drafted by the KC Royals, joined the Twins as free agent then retired before coming back and signing with the Marlins.

Woo. Let's see if he can hit major league pitching in the regular season. Something that other older 'prospect' we have in the outfield (WTFNUNEZ) hasn't.

Dillon was drafted by the KC Royals, joined the Twins as free agent then retired before coming back and signing with the Marlins.

or Millar :D

He was out of baseball last year and was just a guy that was signed to take a roster spot this spring. Great. Scounting with the warm body theory.

I also think it's terribly optimistic to think that every mid-season call up in going to perform as well as Cabs and Willis did last year.

It also sounds like the clubhouse (McKeon and Lowell quotes) thinks more along the lines that the current lineup needs to gel a bit more, not be injected with some fresh meat.

I think they are trying to find an option to play LF and put Conine on the DL. I think his shoulder is hurting him more than we know. Cortisone shot? Not good.

Dillon is hitting very well. I dont see why we shouldnt promote him. Then again, Padgett is hitting pretty well and I would like to see us go with Aguila.

I'm not a Dr., so I don't know wtf I'm talking about, but, I'm pretty sure you can't keep getting Cortisone shots and play every couple of weeks. I believe moving Dillon to LF is very good evidence that the FO is planning a move pretty soon.

Additionally, I also agree with what MIkey said. Sure, it'd be nice to get another bat, maybe a veteran through trade or whatever, but the problem right now with the offense is that they're going through a COLLECTIVE slump!! Hey, it happened to the Phillies at the beggining of the season, and we knew that sooner or later they'd turn it around...now it's our turn!

Might as well give him a spot on the bench.....but who does he replace? Mordy? Nunez?

I wouldn't expect much.....this is the PCL, one of the most hitter-friendly leagues in baseball. He's not gonna be a savior by any means. It's gonna take more than calling up a 28 year old journeyman minor leaguer to get us going again.

Might as well give him a spot on the bench.....but who does he replace? Mordy? Nunez?

I wouldn't expect much.....this is the PCL, one of the most hitter-friendly leagues in baseball. He's not gonna be a savior by any means. It's gonna take more than calling up a 28 year old journeyman minor leaguer to get us going again.

ill go with geemoney on this one

he doesnt seem like much

at 28 years old he cant be anything special

What moving Dillon to LF does is make Conine realize that if he doesnt start producing that someone is going to take his spot.

I think this is a great move since Coni is really struggling but I dont think Dillon is the answer. But who knows he very well might be.

Also Conine is not the only reason why the O is struggling.

in june Pierre is hitting 237

Lowell is hitting 178

Once Pierre and Lowell get back in track you will see how the O will come back.

We just have to be patient

What moving Dillon to LF does is make Conine realize that if he doesnt start producing that someone is going to take his spot.

I don't think you have to call up a guy from AAA to make a guy like Conine realized that he needs to start producing. I think he's well aware of it.