Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do you think we can resign...

Featured Replies

Mota wants to close and next year he will get his opp

491173[/snapback]

That alone could allow us to get him cheaper. I am sure Armando wouldn't mind setting up here because he likes Miami.

Mota wants to close and next year he will get his opp

491173[/snapback]

That alone could allow us to get him cheaper. I am sure Armando wouldn't mind setting up here because he likes Miami.

491174[/snapback]

:plain

Mota wants to close and next year he will get his opp

491173[/snapback]

That alone could allow us to get him cheaper. I am sure Armando wouldn't mind setting up here because he likes Miami.

491174[/snapback]

Don't be foolish

Mota wants to close and next year he will get his opp

491173[/snapback]

That alone could allow us to get him cheaper. I am sure Armando wouldn't mind setting up here because he likes Miami.

491174[/snapback]

:plain

491175[/snapback]

He is an unproven closer. Arbitrators will hold that against him if he doesn't sign before arbi.

Mota wants to close and next year he will get his opp

491173[/snapback]

That alone could allow us to get him cheaper. I am sure Armando wouldn't mind setting up here because he likes Miami.

491174[/snapback]

Don't be foolish

491177[/snapback]

It isn't foolish. Try and get Armando to switch roles and get Mota cheaper. You could always switch them around if it goes bad.

Mota wants to close and next year he will get his opp

491173[/snapback]

That alone could allow us to get him cheaper. I am sure Armando wouldn't mind setting up here because he likes Miami.

491174[/snapback]

:plain

491175[/snapback]

He is an unproven closer. Arbitrators will hold that against him if he doesn't sign before arbi.

491178[/snapback]

:plain at the fact Benitez would setup for Mota

Teams wins Arbi more than players.

491138[/snapback]

not when the player has lead the league in innings pitched from a releiver and has a era of 2.00 over the last 2 years.

491147[/snapback]

How many setup men make more than 2 mil?

491165[/snapback]

Darren Dreifort makes $11 million. lol

 

ok maybe that's not a very good argument. Mota will definitely make more than $2 million next year, I can guarantee you that, and I read in an article that he'll make near $3.5 million in arbitration.

Teams wins Arbi more than players.

491138[/snapback]

not when the player has lead the league in innings pitched from a releiver and has a era of 2.00 over the last 2 years.

491147[/snapback]

How many setup men make more than 2 mil?

491165[/snapback]

Darren Dreifort makes $11 million. lol

 

ok maybe that's not a very good argument. Mota will definitely make more than $2 million next year, I can guarantee you that, and I read in an article that he'll make near $3.5 million in arbitration.

491185[/snapback]

Unless the arbitrator finds that Mota is capable of closing (which they won't easily) and is worth what he wants, then the Marlins win. This is of course if Armando leaves or trades places and is the setup man.

Benitez a set up man? What? No way. Benitez>Mota

491189[/snapback]

It is just an idea. I wouldn't want Mota closing. He doesn't have the experience and we should keep Benitez at all costs.

Chiming in late as usual...

 

It's LoDuca or Pavano this winter.

Very slim chance they both come back. It would take Beinfest finding someone to pay Enc's salary and winning LoDuca's arbitration case (I have a feeling his agent will demand a lot to scare off the Marlins so he can hit the open market).

 

Mota will be here at the expense of Benitez. That's better than Benitez who would cost us a chance at Mota and another.

 

Don't forget Beckett and Burnett are eligible for arbitration this year.

 

And Conine holds a player option next year. I hope he comes back, but that would open some options.

From today's Sun-Sentinel (sorry if it's already posted):

 

Marlins on budget

 

As part of the creative deal that brought Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota and Juan Encarnacion for Brad Penny, Hee Seop Choi and a pitching prospect, the Marlins also received $2 million. Without the compensation, the payroll would have increased $1.7 million through season's end.

 

The Marlins did take on a greater financial commitment for 2005. Encarnacion ($4.45 million) is one of six Marlins signed through next year. Assuming Mike Lowell exercises his $7.5 million player option, the Marlins are on the hook for $26.25 million for those six, including Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, Jeff Conine and Juan Pierre.

 

In addition, they owe a combined $13 million to Mike Hampton and Pudge Rodriguez and will received $2.5 million from the Rockies.

 

Lo Duca, Mota, Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, Billy Koch and Matt Perisho are eligible for arbitration after this season. Among the Marlins' free agents: Carl Pavano, Armando Benitez, Mike Redmond, Lenny Harris, Mike Mordecai, Ismael Valdez and Damion Easley.

 

 

I think the top 2 priorities this offseason will be to keep Pavano and Lo Duca. I think Lo Duca will probably get around what Javy Lopez got from the O's, which was around $6 million per for 3 years. I think that they realize now that 1) they need an experienced catcher and 2) they don't have a starting-caliber catcher on their roster other than Lo Duca. Willingham may one day be ready to handle it, but not yet and probably not next year (I think he should be getting a look at 1st next year). Anyway, something in the range of 3 years, $18-20 million is reasonable for Lo Duca. I think a similar deal with Pavano would be fair. And like some of you said, with $13 million coming off the books in 2006, then backloading is definately an option.

 

I think finding a taker for Carney is another priority (unless he plays so well that he's a bargin at $4.45 mil :D )

 

Of the remaining arbitration eligibles, Beckett and Burnett will each probably get an additional million or two. Koch won't be tendered, but can probably be had cheap, same with Perisho.

 

It's probably one or the other with Benitez and Mota (but with Spooney coming back, one may be expendable anyway).

 

The rest is pretty irrelavent.

 

Of course, all of this depends on the stadium, but doesn't everything.

Benitez a set up man? What? No way. Benitez>Mota

491189[/snapback]

If the yanks pay him $10 million to set-up, he'll be a set-up man.

Make no mistake, the Marlins brass LOVES Lo Duca. He will be re-signed.

 

Also, Mota will be re-signed. That means Benitez is gone. We cant afford him and Pavano and Pavs is a huge priority now especially with Penny gone. Plus, we still have Koch and Spooney who can both stabilize that bullpen.

 

Enc IS our RF because he is under contract. And stop hating on the guy, he is better than he has played for LA (it was all a part of Beinfest's diabolical plan...)

Benitez a set up man? What? No way. Benitez>Mota

491189[/snapback]

It is just an idea. I wouldn't want Mota closing. He doesn't have the experience and we should keep Benitez at all costs.

491190[/snapback]

 

Mota has experience pitching 8th innings for a while & has been dominating, he treats it just like the 9th inning. It doesn't really matter anyway, he's got the ability, & Armando's salary will go through the roof.

 

It's the obvious move. And the idea of Benitez setting up for Mota is silly.

If we offer him a multi-year deal, I could see him doing 4ish. Hopefully we can sign Mota to an extension at 2 mil per for 2 or 3 years, and that's a couple seasons of 6 million dollar automatic bullpen (Spooney makes min I think).

491129[/snapback]

he makes 1.5 right now and gets arbitration this year so theres no way u keep him for 2 mill for 2 or 3 years. he will be making mando money next year in the 3.5 to 4 mill range

491135[/snapback]

 

I do not think that Mota is Arbitration eligible for another 2 yrs....that is why we made the deal for him....if we sign him to a longer term contract, that is at the discretion of the FO, but right now he is a very inexpensive closer/set up man.

 

I hope we can find a way to keep Duca and Pavano....to let another high caliber catcher loose after we saw our so called catching prospects is not a safe bet. If Lo Duca comes across the way he did in LA.....the team will need his veteran presence and leadership in the clubhouse as well as his prowess on the field.

 

What happens with Burnett? Isn't he a FA after this yr? I thought we only signed him to a 1yr ext since we did not know what he would be after Tommy john surgery. When does Beckett's contract come up?

Again, I dont think the Marlins made this deal to let Lo Duca - or Mota - go. These guys figure into the future of this franchise. We need Lo Duca as he also buys time for Willingham to develop - and we need him to develop defensively as well as offensively.

 

I dont know what Burnett's status is, but I am sure we re-sign him. Beckett is still under our control through '05 I believe.

 

To me, we need to keep at all possible cost Burnett, Beckett and Pavano. Just like the Braves who had their big 3. Willis is necessary too, I just hope he isnt Steve Avery. That is why I didnt have a problem dealing Penny - to me, best case, he is Kevin Millwood.

Mota is signed through 2006 if I'm not mistaken and he will end up taking Closer role next year.

 

Lo Duca will likely be going somewhere else and I assume the Marlins would rather re-sign Pavano.

  • Author

ok...then what, were without a catcher AGAIN.

 

 

Seriously, we NEED LoDuca next year, otherwise we'll be in the same boat.

Again, I dont think the Marlins made this deal to let Lo Duca - or Mota - go. These guys figure into the future of this franchise. We need Lo Duca as he also buys time for Willingham to develop - and we need him to develop defensively as well as offensively.

 

I dont know what Burnett's status is, but I am sure we re-sign him. Beckett is still under our control through '05 I believe.

 

To me, we need to keep at all possible cost Burnett, Beckett and Pavano. Just like the Braves who had their big 3. Willis is necessary too, I just hope he isnt Steve Avery. That is why I didnt have a problem dealing Penny - to me, best case, he is Kevin Millwood.

491494[/snapback]

 

Burnett I'm pretty sure is up arbtration and I dont know how much more Willingham can develop he is already 25-26.

 

Mota is signed through 2006 if I'm not mistaken and he will end up taking Closer role next year.

 

Lo Duca will likely be going somewhere else and I assume the Marlins would rather re-sign Pavano.

491497[/snapback]

 

Mota is also up for arbtration.

Willingham has to develop his defensive game. Until he does that, he wont make it with this team - mark my words. Unless we deal away some guys in front of him. He wont beat out Stokes for 1B and he certainly wont beat out Conine. Contracts are signed and demand players to perform. He wont get in front of our upper prospects in the OF either. Hermida, Reed - these guys are our future out there. Cabs is going to learn his craft as his value is as an OF and NOT a 1B.

 

There is a reason why Willy was moved to catcher - he has the best chance of being a regular MLBer at that spot. We have guys better at every other position he is eligible to play. So, he has to develop his game-calling and his defense (especially throwing out base runners). Right now he is another Piazza, good offense catcher but poor defensive skills.

 

And this organization is re-signing Lo Duca. They didnt give away Penny for a rental. We need a catcher and we need one that can produce offensively. As a 'small market' team, you have to get contributions from the entire lineup as opposed to having a few heavy hitters surrounded by average/above average talents. This also marks Willingham's future as a possible back-up next season or for the next few seasons or as a tradable commodity. Castro also could be a tradable commodity. Redmond may not be back, pending the FO's decision about Willy and Treanor could be a cheaper, adequate option to replace Redmond.

Again, I dont think the Marlins made this deal to let Lo Duca - or Mota - go. These guys figure into the future of this franchise. We need Lo Duca as he also buys time for Willingham to develop - and we need him to develop defensively as well as offensively.

 

I dont know what Burnett's status is, but I am sure we re-sign him. Beckett is still under our control through '05 I believe.

 

To me, we need to keep at all possible cost Burnett, Beckett and Pavano. Just like the Braves who had their big 3. Willis is necessary too, I just hope he isnt Steve Avery. That is why I didnt have a problem dealing Penny - to me, best case, he is Kevin Millwood.

491494[/snapback]

 

Got to agree with you 100% Jonny, we've been stalking Mota since this time last year, and Lo Duca since ST, there's no way we let either of them go.

 

And I love the analogy with the pitchers. Personally, the one guy I see departing in the offseason may be Luis. But then again, considering the team isn't assured the stadium anymore (ugh) Loria may bite the bullet, keep the team together and backload a lot of money to keep everyone, and happy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.