Pudge goes off on his teammate during game

Accord

Did anyone see the Tigers/Angels highlight on SportsCenter? Pudge got in the face of Robertson (Tigers pitcher) just screaming at him right in the middle of the field at the mound. Not sure what he was saying but he was fuming and yelling crazy like LoDuca was yelling at the ump when he was called out on strike 3 during the 9th inning last week. But hey, he's the MVP candidate, he's the best catcher in the AL, he's the one with a rin, and he's the one with the 40 million dollar contract, so Robertson the pitcher probably deserved it.

If you didn't see it, try and catch one of the hundred SportsCenter repeats tonight.

Here's what someone posted on my message board....

Pudge had a little altercation with tonight's starting pitcher, Nate Robertson, on the mound during the game. The Tigers had the lead 6-4 and Robertson went out and surrendered 2 solo homers to let the Angels tie the game up and then Pudge and Robertson had an argument on the mound and Tram had to come out of the dugout and break it up. The argument continued in the dugout after the inning was over and they had to be separated again. I think it was just a frustration boiling over for the both of them but during the middle of the game wasn't the place for it.

Oy vey..... damn it Pudge. :banghead

As much I like the guy and everything, I don't think it was necessary for him to act that way in the middle of the game.

hey, if I were pudge i'd be that way to. Catchers dont have an easy job ya know, I mean how hard must it be to see a baseball coming at you 95, 96 mph with a mask partially blocking your eyesight and whatnot, and also being a veteran catcher like he is and not getting the pitch you called, I would have done the same thing.

Of course, thats just me.

I just found a transcript of the event....

Pudge: A slider? I called for a fastball.

Nate: Yeah, sorry, kind of hung up there.

Pudge: Just trust Pudge. Pudge knows what he's doing.

Nate: F*** you. Maybe if you were at our battery meetings you'd know this guy loves fastballs belt-high.

Pudge: You want to start something, punk? Pudge is going to kick your a**!

I just found a transcript of the event....

Pudge: A slider? I called for a fastball.

Nate: Yeah, sorry, kind of hung up there.

Pudge: Just trust Pudge. Pudge knows what he's doing.

Nate: F*** you. Maybe if you were at our battery meetings you'd know this guy loves fastballs belt-high.

Pudge: You want to start something, punk? Pudge is going to kick your a**!

512788[/snapback]

Is that a joke? That's awesome!

Here's an article on it. Link

Notes: Battery settles dispute

I-Rod, Robertson leave on-field argument in past

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

ANAHEIM -- Nothing like a laid-back Sunday morning to forget a rough Saturday night.

As Ivan Rodriguez predicted, he and Nate Robertson discussed their differences after their heated discussion on the mound and in the dugout played out on television Saturday. Everything, Robertson said Sunday morning, is settled.

Likewise for Pudge, who said he was only trying to help a young pitcher. "I don't have anything against him," Rodriguez said. "He's a great kid. He's a great pitcher. I love the guy. We talked before the game and everything is OK, everything was cleared up.

"He's a very nice guy. I want him to be at the top. He can be there. He's got the talent to be there. We have to just keep him positive. Everybody goes through bad days, and that's what's happened to him right now. Look at me. I hit the ball hard right at people all the time. I've got a tough time hitting right now and tough times on defense, too. That's the way baseball is."

The discussion began near the mound after Robb Quinlan homered on a 3-0 fastball in the fifth inning. It resumed in the dugout after the inning.

"You hope that things like that don't happen," manager Alan Trammell said, "But this is an emotional game. There's frustration. That's going to happen again somewhere along the line, whether it's with us or with other clubs. ... It's not a big deal, believe me."

What made it a big deal, Trammell said, is that it was visible. "Unfortunately in this day and age, everything gets seen," he said. "Things like that have been happening for 100 years, but in this day and age, it's going to be played up. That's just the way it is. We've got to deal with it. But we move on from that, that's for sure."

Still sitting: The way Craig Monroe and Brandon Inge have played here, they essentially made this a weekend off for Bobby Higginson and Eric Munson.

Sunday's lineup had neither one in there, making it a clean sweep for the three-game series here. They started just once each during the week-long California trip.

Munson entered Sunday's game as a pinch-hitter in the ninth inning and was hit by a Troy Percival pitch. Fittingly, Higginson pinch-ran for him.

The changes are about performance. "Monroe's swinging the bat," Trammell said of the right field situation. "I'm just playing the hot hand."

Asked whether right field was still Higginson's job, Trammell didn't want to answer 'yes' or 'no.' "I'm going to just leave it open," he said.

Higginson's only playing time this series came as a ninth-inning defensive replacement Friday night.

As for Munson, Trammell returned to the reasoning that he wanted the better defensive third baseman playing against the aggressive Angels. "I think we would all agree," Trammell said, "that Brandon is a better third baseman at this point in time. Some of the plays he makes are incredible. He just looks like a natural."

Trammell said there's a chance Munson will be back in the lineup when the Tigers play at Chicago next week, but couldn't say for sure. Inge's 1-for-3 performance raised his average to .294 for the season.

It only hurts on the scoresheet: Jason Johnson tried a barehanded grab Sunday and somehow ended up in worse shape than if he hadn't gotten a hand on it at all.

Jeff DaVanon hit a sharp bouncer back up the middle that Johnson tried to grab with his pitching hand. The ball bounced off his wrist and hit the ground, where Johnson picked it up and tried to fire to first base. The ball sailed over first baseman Carlos Pena and into right field, allowing David Eckstein to score from second base and DaVanon to advance to third, where he scored on Garret Anderson's single five pitches later.

Pain had nothing to do with it. "It didn't hurt at all," he said. "It got me pretty good on the wrist, but if I would've taken my time and gotten my feet underneath me I would've had him out. It didn't affect the throw at all. I just pulled across my body trying to get it over there."

Rotation juggled: Wilfredo Ledezma will start Thursday's series finale against the White Sox instead of Tuesday's series opener so he can return to Detroit and be with his wife for the imminent birth of their first child.

With Monday's off-day, the Tigers rotation will start on their normal rest. Mike Maroth and Jeremy Bonderman were moved up a day and will start Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.

Sleeth, Sanchez, Granderson shine in Erie: Kyle Sleeth turned in his strongest performance yet for Double-A Erie Saturday night, when he struck out nine while allowing a run on five hits over six innings of an 8-1 win against Akron. He evened his record at 3-3 while lowering his ERA to 6.83.

A day later, Humberto Sanchez fanned nine more Akron Aeros in 6 2/3 innings in a 6-4 win for his first Double-A victory. Curtis Granderson hit his 10th home run in his last 13 games to power the Seawolves offense.

Roney debuts in Toledo: Former Rule 5 pick Matt Roney scattered three runs on five hits and four walks in six innings of a no-decision in Triple-A Toledo's 4-3 win over Richmond. Roney, who had spent all season with Erie, was called up Friday to take the place of injured Shane Loux.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

what an arrogant piece of s***.

513884[/snapback]

that arrogant piece of s*** got us to the world series along with the others.

513972[/snapback]

and im not debating that, im just saying that you shouldnt humiliate someone like that on television, if you cant save it for the clubhouse, at least save it for the dugout, you just dont do that on live tv, no matter who you are. since winning the WS, pudge has me fed up with his 'holier than thou' attitude

Guest Moneyball

when pudge does it, it's for a reason. i kinda wish we had a figure like that in the clubhouse and MAYBE this season would have gone better. that kind of stuff gives teams a spark.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.