Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trade A.J.

Featured Replies

I've been a fan of the Marlins and Jeff Conine since 1993. When Huizenga traded Mr. Marlin after the 1997 World Series, I remained a fan of the Marlins. I did not root for the KC Royals. I did not root any harder for the Orioles that I already did. Just like when Dan Marino retired, I did not stop cheering on the Dolphins. Plainly and simply, I'm a fan of the Marlins. Players come and go, as frequently as they do on some large-revenue clubs. Owners and managers come and go. It happens.

 

 

If Loria/Beinfest feels they can make the team better now and for the future by trading A.J. or any of these players, I'll stand by them. I'll continue to root for the Fish.

 

How 'bout you?

This is the most ridiculous thing i've read in awhile. Trading AJ is essentially taking this team back five steps and will push us to 4th in the league. I don't care about their attitude. The 1986 Mets have the worst attitude ever but yet they won. They were a bunch of asses. People in NY didnt even like rooting for them. If you can't deal with their attitude then tough. Keep AJ if you know what's good for you.

I agree i'm a Marlin fan because i'm a marlin fan, i'm not a fan of one player, granted i like some more than others but when it comes down to it no matter who puts on the teal and black i'll root for them.

  • Author

FFinPA, you don't even know what we'll get back for A.J. If Beinfest can get a pitcher of equal talent such as Vazquez, I fail to see how the team is taking a step back.

Plain and simple AJ will not be a Marlin after this year. He will leave for FA. If Pavano got 4yrs 45 Million or just about that, what do you think AJ will command? A lot more than the Marlins are willing to pay or for that matter more than 90% of the teams out there. If we can re sign AJ to a long term deal, I say DO IT, do it as fast as you can. But Beinfest is smart enough to realize that AJ will not be a Marlin after this year. He will do his best to do what is in the best interest of the Marlins. In this it is to trade him. Players arent as loyal as Lowell or Castillo, both of whom couldve left and gotten more money elsewhere, but decided to stay. AJ is not one of those players.

 

If you cant keep him, Trade him, if you can sign him DO IT.

Lemme explain it to you.....We get rid of Carl because we can't afford to sign him.....We trade AJ because we can't afford to sign him....what's to prevent the trade of Miggy when it's his time for FA?? This defeatist attitude of the team puts the players on it at a loss and players looking at the team down...telling them we're not gonna sign you when the time comes. Why would anyone want to play here? We kept Lowell only because we're gonna possibly trade him later and if we got rid of him now then there would be a mutiny amongst the fans. I wonder why AJ has a bad attitude...maybe it's cause he's on a team that can't keep it's good players. It's a downward spiral that i don't want to see happen to my team.

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as the owner.

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as owner.

635880[/snapback]

 

 

One day Daniel Snyder will buy this team off of Loria's hands. :)

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as owner.

635880[/snapback]

 

 

One day Daniel Snyder will buy this team off of Loria's hands. :)

635881[/snapback]

 

He'll hire Rene to coach again. :plain

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as owner.

635880[/snapback]

 

 

One day Daniel Snyder will buy this team off of Loria's hands. :)

635881[/snapback]

 

He'll hire Rene to coach again. :plain

635882[/snapback]

 

There is no question in my mind that he would bring in a big name manager. No John Boles (Although I love him!) or Rene Lachemann's here

Well, to be a fan now and since their opening, you'd have to have gone through the strike, the dismantling, two scumbag owners in Huizenga and Henry, losing Pudge and Lee after last year, Pavano and Benitez after this year, etc.

 

But you've got two world championships, and more importantly, a team in South Florida who I personally grew up with, went to their first game, and held season tickets for before moving out of South Florida.

 

If anyone says they will no longer be a fan because the Marlins trade one player in A.J. Burnett, it's doubtful they were really a true fan of the Marlins to begin with.

 

Being a fan of the name on the front of the jersey is much different than being a fan of the name on the back of the jersey (not that there is anything wrong with either - it's just a different approach.)

 

Now if the name on the front ever changes to "Las Vegas" or "Monterrey" or "Sheboygan" or any other city, then it's a different story....

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as owner.

635880[/snapback]

 

 

One day Daniel Snyder will buy this team off of Loria's hands. :)

635881[/snapback]

 

He'll hire Rene to coach again. :plain

635882[/snapback]

 

There is no question in my mind that he would bring in a big name manager. No John Boles (Although I love him!) or Rene Lachemann's here

635887[/snapback]

Joe Gibbs is to the Redskins as Jim Leyland is to the Marlins?

Geez Minus...

 

#1. it was well known that Pavano was planning to test the market.

 

#2. it was well known that other teams (i.e. boston & yanks) were interested.

 

#3. it's well known the Marlins can't win a bidding war with the rich teams.

 

what exactly did you want to see?

 

After the Yanks offered 4/42, you want Loria to offer 4/30 just for the hell of it??? You know he can't top those kinds of numbers.

 

If they're smart they'll at least seek an extension with AJ early when they have some leverage.

 

Here's my question. If they're willing to pay Vazquez 8 million per year for 3 years, what's the big problem with signing AJ for around that? Sure, maybe AJ will refuse, but they haven't even approached him about it...

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as the owner.

635880[/snapback]

 

Where were you during the entire 2003 season?

I've been a fan of the Marlins and Jeff Conine since 1993. When Huizenga traded Mr. Marlin after the 1997 World Series, I remained a fan of the Marlins. I did not root for the KC Royals. I did not root any harder for the Orioles that I already did. Just like when Dan Marino retired, I did not stop cheering on the Dolphins. Plainly and simply, I'm a fan of the Marlins. Players come and go, as frequently as they do on some large-revenue clubs. Owners and managers come and go. It happens.

 

 

If Loria/Beinfest feels they can make the team better now and for the future by trading A.J. or any of these players, I'll stand by them. I'll continue to root for the Fish.

 

How 'bout you?

635865[/snapback]

 

 

I was cheering for the Brian Edmondson's,Rafael Medina's, Kurt Ojala's, and Bruce Avens of the world. Certainly I will continue to cheer for this group of Marlin players.

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as owner.

635880[/snapback]

 

 

One day Daniel Snyder will buy this team off of Loria's hands. :)

635881[/snapback]

 

He'll hire Rene to coach again. :plain

635882[/snapback]

 

There is no question in my mind that he would bring in a big name manager. No John Boles (Although I love him!) or Rene Lachemann's here

635887[/snapback]

Joe Gibbs is to the Redskins as Jim Leyland is to the Marlins?

635890[/snapback]

 

No! Gibbs has loyalty to the Skins. Leyland bounces around from team to team. He is also an arm Killer :plain

Lemme explain it to you.....We get rid of Carl because we can't afford to sign him.....We trade AJ because we can't afford to sign him....what's to prevent the trade of Miggy when it's his time for FA?? This defeatist attitude of the team puts the players on it at a loss and players looking at the team down...telling them we're not gonna sign you when the time comes. Why would anyone want to play here? We kept Lowell only because we're gonna possibly trade him later and if we got rid of him now then there would be a mutiny amongst the fans. I wonder why AJ has a bad attitude...maybe it's cause he's on a team that can't keep it's good players. It's a downward spiral that i don't want to see happen to my team.

635879[/snapback]

Lemme ask you a question, should the Marlins have paid Pavano the 4yrs @ 45 million ?

 

When AJ is a free agent do you think 4yrs @ 45 million will do it? If so sign him now !

 

But AJ is 10x the pitcher Pavano is and will get paid like it.

 

You must face the facts that there are a few teams that can afford to play on the yearly carousel of players year in and year out. If you dont like the facts im sorry all I can say is that there are other teams to root for.

 

As far as Lowell is concerned he has a no trade clause, he can olnly be traded with his permission. As far as Cabs is concerned I feel that the FO realizes that he IS a franchise player and they will do what it takes to keep him, by then this franchise will either have a stadium or not, and if they dont have a stadium, Miami wont have a team and at that point I could careless what happens.

Just to put a different spin on this whole thing:

 

This could be a ploy. When you dangle and AJ out there, making only 4 million dollars next year of course a lot of teams will want him. Ontop of other reson because his contract to what he can produce is very attractive to other teams, so if you sign him to an extension it would be harder to trade him.

 

Maybe the Marlins want to make it seem they are disintrested with AJ and want to make it seem they want to part ways with him. If they seemed like they were in the middle of the road not sure if they want to keep him or unload him teams might back off bit, why? Well if it is obvious the Marlins want to unload AJ teams will want to make sure they don'tunload him to a rival.

 

So are the Marlins doing all of this to try and get teams into a bidding war just to see what the ceiling is and as soon as someone offers more than they should they pull the trigger? They could. Why not use the Saux against the Yanks against Billy Beane? Try to get one of them to over pay for AJ and not pull the trigger unless they offer a bit too much.

 

Just a thought.

As far as Lowell is concerned he has a no trade clause, he can olnly be traded with his permission.? As far as Cabs is concerned I feel that the FO realizes that he IS a franchise player and they will do what it takes to keep him, by then this franchise will either have a stadium or not, and if they dont have a stadium, Miami wont have a team and at that point I could careless what happens.

635897[/snapback]

 

 

Mike Lowell doesn't have a no trade clause. Generally speaking, the Marlins refuse to grant no-trade clauses in player contracts, because they say it gives them less "flexibility."

 

link

Why trade Burnett? Why not trade Beckett or someone else?

 

We can sign Burnett Long term

635885[/snapback]

 

No we can't. Burnett doesn't want to be here and he'll leave for a team where he can be in the spotlight like Boston or New York.

As far as Lowell is concerned he has a no trade clause, he can olnly be traded with his permission. As far as Cabs is concerned I feel that the FO realizes that he IS a franchise player and they will do what it takes to keep him, by then this franchise will either have a stadium or not, and if they dont have a stadium, Miami wont have a team and at that point I could careless what happens.

635897[/snapback]

 

 

Mike Lowell doesn't have a no trade clause. Generally speaking, the Marlins refuse to grant no-trade clauses in player contracts, because they say it gives them less "flexibility."

 

link

635901[/snapback]

Thank you for clarifying that for me, i was under the impression he had a no trade clause

As far as Lowell is concerned he has a no trade clause, he can olnly be traded with his permission.? As far as Cabs is concerned I feel that the FO realizes that he IS a franchise player and they will do what it takes to keep him, by then this franchise will either have a stadium or not, and if they dont have a stadium, Miami wont have a team and at that point I could careless what happens.

635897[/snapback]

 

 

Mike Lowell doesn't have a no trade clause. Generally speaking, the Marlins refuse to grant no-trade clauses in player contracts, because they say it gives them less "flexibility."

 

link

635901[/snapback]

Thank you for clarifying that for me, i was under the impression he had a no trade clause

635904[/snapback]

 

 

No problem, you're welcome.

Loria is a joke.

 

The whole Pavano deal was just a decoy.He made the offer so it looks like he was trying.Is not like I thought it was a must to resign Pavano but you people need to realize that this team is not going anywhere with this guy as the owner.

635880[/snapback]

 

Where were you during the entire 2003 season?

635892[/snapback]

 

At the games.

 

I had partial season tickets fo weekend games.Did not renew this year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.