Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Possibility at 1b?

Featured Replies

What frustrates me most in these kinds of threads is that people advocating for Doug Mientkiewicz (for example) feel obligated to trash other candidates or former players.

 

There's no reason to put down Choi or Conine, both of whom soundly outhit this guy last season, just make your points. Absolutely none.

 

All of them are major league ballplayers who deserve credit for their years of hard work and accomplishments.

638681[/snapback]

 

 

If that comment is directed at me -- try reading my post carefully. I was only comparing Choi and Conine's DEFENSIVE abilities to Mientkiewicz's. Never once did I say a word about Mientkiewicz being a better hitter -- actually quite the opposite. There's a huge difference between comparing and trashing.

Mientkiewicz is better than anyone not named Derrick Lee. Not only that, but he's capable of hitting .300 and putting up a very nice on-base percentage. I think he is a PERFECT fit for this team.

638604[/snapback]

 

J.T Snow... Todd Helton ??

 

Mientkiewicz is great defensively. No question about it, but I wouldn't say he and Derrek Lee are the two best defensive first baseman in the majors....

 

As for Conine, he has always been a gold glove caliber first baseman as well. The Marlins coaches never intended to leave him at 1b for the long term after the Choi trade, but they've mentioned that he is much better than they anticipated there. They've even said themselves, that they believe him to be a gold glave candidate.

Mientkiewicz is better than anyone not named Derrick Lee. Not only that, but he's capable of hitting .300 and putting up a very nice on-base percentage. I think he is a PERFECT fit for this team.

638604[/snapback]

J.T Snow... Todd Helton ??

 

Mientkiewicz is great defensively. No question about it, but I wouldn't say he and Derrek Lee are the two best defensive first baseman in the majors....

638714[/snapback]

 

I would. Those two are unmatched.

I would. Those two are unmatched.

638721[/snapback]

 

Evidently, you haven't seen Snow or Helton day in and day out... I don't think there is a better 1st baseman in the league over J.T Snow.. and I watched D-Lee every day....

What frustrates me most in these kinds of threads is that people advocating for Doug Mientkiewicz (for example) feel obligated to trash other candidates or former players.

 

There's no reason to put down Choi or Conine, both of whom soundly outhit this guy last season, just make your points. Absolutely none.

 

All of them are major league ballplayers who deserve credit for their years of hard work and accomplishments.

638681[/snapback]

 

 

If that comment is directed at me -- try reading my post carefully. I was only comparing Choi and Conine's DEFENSIVE abilities to Mientkiewicz's. Never once did I say a word about Mientkiewicz being a better hitter -- actually quite the opposite. There's a huge difference between comparing and trashing.

638712[/snapback]

 

My comments AGon, were directly at no one in particular but rather at those who constantly make their arguments by saying this guy sucks and that guy stinks etc. etc. etc.

 

I'm fed up with it.

 

I think we can find ways of articulating our positions without trashtalk.

I would. Those two are unmatched.

638721[/snapback]

 

I don't think there is a better 1st baseman in the league over J.T Snow.. and I watched D-Lee every day....

638739[/snapback]

 

Then it's evident you didn't watch very closely.

Then it's evident you didn't watch very closely.

638752[/snapback]

 

Very nice comeback... I like that..

 

It's actually very difficult to say who is better defensively. Both J.T and D-Lee are amazing at their positions. I know Mientkiewicz is another great glove over there. I just didn't want J.T to go unmentioned in this topic. He's been one of the best for a while... When you talk about great gloves at 1st base, his name has to come up at some point. He doesn't have 6 Gold Gloves for nothing.

defense at 1st base should be the last thing we should be worried about.

638748[/snapback]

I forget who did the study, but it was suggested that defense a first base is one of the most overlooked abilities in the game. Obviously that's no reason to acquire a first base, but it may be one small market deficiency GMs might take advantage of. Specifically a certain GM whose team plays on a field with short fast grass and a pitching staff with really slow deliveries.

 

 

However Choi was more than adequate. Same for Conine. Mienky adds very little. Millar, well, would he want to come back?

I would. Those two are unmatched.

638721[/snapback]

 

Evidently, you haven't seen Snow or Helton day in and day out... I don't think there is a better 1st baseman in the league over J.T Snow.. and I watched D-Lee every day....

638739[/snapback]

 

Im with you on that one

 

J.T. Snow is the best in the NL

 

and

 

Doug M is the best in the AL

Then it's evident you didn't watch very closely.

638752[/snapback]

 

Very nice comeback... I like that..

 

It's actually very difficult to say who is better defensively. Both J.T and D-Lee are amazing at their positions. I know Mientkiewicz is another great glove over there. I just didn't want J.T to go unmentioned in this topic. He's been one of the best for a while... When you talk about great gloves at 1st base, his name has to come up at some point. He doesn't have 6 Gold Gloves for nothing.

638766[/snapback]

 

You're right, Snow definitely deserves some respect when it comes to the best defensive first basemen in the game today. BUT, I believe Derrek happens to be better. Over the past two seasons his defense has been unrivaled. Period.

You're right, Snow definitely deserves some respect when it comes to the best defensive first basemen in the game today. BUT, I believe Derrek happens to be better. Over the past two seasons his defense has been unrivaled. Period.

638798[/snapback]

 

I can't say I agree with you. I still think J.T is better, but I'll bet if you ask Aramis Ramirez, he would definitely agree with you...

I would. Those two are unmatched.

638721[/snapback]

 

Evidently, you haven't seen Snow or Helton day in and day out... I don't think there is a better 1st baseman in the league over J.T Snow.. and I watched D-Lee every day....

638739[/snapback]

 

Helton is good defensively, but despite gold gloves, the other two are better than him in my opinion. I might be biased because I've seen more of Lee than the other two, but I'll still admit that Snow has been the NL's best defensive 1B for quite a few years.

  • Author

helton wins gold gloves because of his offense

 

simple as that

 

which is pretty sad

It's not that defense at 1B is not important, far from it.

 

What we're saying is that IMPROVING our defense at 1B is not a priority right now.

638805[/snapback]

exactly, defense is our biggest strength. We shouldn't be making decisions on players based on who plays better defense we need guys who can hit.

I'd go after Aubrey Huff if what there saying about him being available is true. of course that would mean we'd either have to bench Conine or Enc. What do you think should happen? I'd bench Enc in a sec, and let him spell either corner OF position from time to time. the only catch of course is his s*** load of a salary.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.