Why not Wayne as the #5?

Admin

Give Wayne a chance at a job in the rotation. Yeah, I know he blew up in the spot start last season against Montreal... and he was below average in 2003 in a short span but he has never been given a chance to start on a regular basis. He's a starting pitcher and he hasn't earned a chance but he still should be given a look since we don't exactly have many options.

If he has a good Spring, make him the #5 let him get a few turns in the rotation. If it doesn't work out, oh well we can try someone else who is the "hot hand" at the time or acquire someone. Not going to have a Cy Young guy in the #5 slot anyway.

He tries hard and has a good head on his shoulders. Sometimes thinks too damn much though which is his main problem. Trust me on that one but he has talent. He didn't strike out 363 batters to grab a Stanford record and become one of the school's top pitchers ever for nothing.

Ok begin throwing tomatoes at me for defending him for a 3rd straight season.

P.S. : He was overused last year. If you recall, before Jack went wild and used him as much as he smokes cigars he was more than effective holding a 0.00 ERA for 12 innings to start the year including that huge outing in Philly.

He is probably going to be one of three or four guys Marlins look at from the farm system. Him, Hutch, and maybe Bump are probably going to be the ones battling it out in Spring Training.

Wayne was hot for a while there and then Jack put him out there every day. If healthy I see nothing wrong with giving him a shot.

I have no problem giving Wayne a chance at the 5th starters spot, he started out decent last year, then hit a wall and was sent down to the minors before we could see if he could recover from it or not. I'm willing to give him another shot at the 5th starting spot. More then I am for giving Bump his 6th try at starting...IE. pitching over 3 innings in a game

He is a former first round pick...I guess we could do worse :confused

Either way, I don't think anyone here really has a problem with Wayne as the #5, it's more that we'd like to see at least a little more veteran presence in the rotation. No one here really seems to have any confidence in Beckett or Burnett turning in a healthy year, and God knows what we're going to get from Dontrelle, and we know we're going to get 13-16 wins from Leiter, but how many innings will he be able to eat?

For me, if we can get a guy to pitch 180-200 innings in the 5 hole and win 10 games, I'd say it's a success for our immediate pitching needs.

If I were to be told to pick a guy (now that ODP is off the market), I'd say give Loaiza an invite and guarantee him $1 million with some incentives, at the worst, he'd be a solid middle reliever making a manageable amount of money.

I like Wayne too, but I don't just want to "settle" for somebody within the organization if there's a good shot at landing Loaiza or Lowe. Lowe's price is outrageous, but we may be able to get a deal for Loaiza. Who knows, get him out of NY, and he may come back to life like Armando did...

As for the lefties in the pen, who do we have, Chad Bentz and that's it? What kind of lefties do we have on the farm that are ready?

As it comes to lefties we only have Bentz, Hagerty and Tank who could pitch out of the pen but they seem to want him to start right now, we released Perisho and for some reason last year Terjia refused a minor league assignment after his 2 spot starts with his amazing 18.00 era.

If I were to be told to pick a guy (now that ODP is off the market), I'd say give Loaiza an invite and guarantee him $1 million with some incentives, at the worst, he'd be a solid middle reliever making a manageable amount of money.

648071[/snapback]

There's no way Loaiza is going to take just $1 million.....

648277[/snapback]

If we could afford him, I'd take Loiza but we can't :confused

Wayne can be a solid guy out of the pen, but I really find it unlikely he could handle a spot in the rotation (even in the #5 hole) for an entire season.

I don't see him having the stamina to do that, plus I think he's a better guy to bring outta the pen than to have pitching 6 innings every 5 days and letting the rest of the league write a book on how to hit him.

With the Valdez signing it doesn't matter, but it needs to be pointed out that it's a lot to ask a pitcher to start after training all off-season, spring training and regular season to be conditioned as a reliever. I'm confident any number of guys we have (yes, even young Kensing) could do an adequate job if asked at the start of spring training.

Also Wayne's been in the bigs for parts of three years. Making him a proven major league veteran. :p