At-Bats-O-Meter: 1

AVG-O-Meter: .000

Lenny Scale

Retirement [ - - - >-

Guest Moneyball

Projected date of this super important day in history: July 19th, 2005

* based on Lenny's 2004 success rate and playing time

726710[/snapback]

Bud Selig said there will be a ceremony and everything.

Guest Juanky

Just stick him in the starting lineup for the first 2 weeks. He'll only go 7-for-40, but that'll be enough, then he could retire in peace. :thumbup

726712[/snapback]

Looking for pinch hits though :thumbup

Just stick him in the starting lineup for the first 2 weeks. He'll only go 7-for-40, but that'll be enough, then he could retire in peace. :thumbup

726712[/snapback]

Looking for pinch hits though :thumbup

726724[/snapback]

oh god, that's right.

we'd have to throw him in there to PH for a good 35 games before he hits his god damn benchmark.

well, at least we know he won't waste his precious plate appearances getting measly walks. the man goes out of his way to not take ball 4....the stupid record meant so much to him that he walked only 3 times last season.

Guest markotsay7

To call him a selfish prick is ridiculous. Do you know for sure that he wouldn't take walks last year so he could get hits? Did he say that?

Do you have any idea how hard it is to pinch hit?

Guest markotsay7

have any idea how hard it is to pinch hit?

726853[/snapback]

which is why you can't sook and be a pinch hitter.

726881[/snapback]

He's obviously done something right.

Guest Moneyball

What a selfish prick. He's hurting the team so he get his little 200 pinch hits.

I predict it will take him 85 pinch-hit at-bats for 7 pinch hits.

726816[/snapback]

I wouldn't call him selfish. I'd probably say the Marlins are showing him respect. Even though I might not agree with their decision.

Guest FishFanInPA

Gee I remember when you all kissed his feet for the Gagne hit...which was the highlight for most of you...and now your all turning your back for a couple of minor leaguers who may or may not be better.

I agree with Accord...regardless if you feel he should have made the roster or not...we should all be rooting for Lenny...he is a Marlin right???

:mischief2

727056[/snapback]

i only semi root for all the spurs.

some are beyond reproach.

lenny is a waste of a spot on the active roster.

To call him a selfish prick is ridiculous. Do you know for sure that he wouldn't take walks last year so he could get hits? Did he say that?

726853[/snapback]

Obviously he's not going to come out and say he's being selfish, but looking at his career stats I can deduce (with some confidence) that he is, in fact, a selfish player who is overly concerned with his insignificant little records.

Here, I'll show you his isolated discipline--a measure of how often he gets on base via base on balls--by subtracting his BA from his OBP for every year of his career. Check it out:

1988 .048 IsoD

1989 .047 IsoD

1990 .044 IsoD

1991 .062 IsoD

1992 .047 IsoD

1993 .065 IsoD

1994 .030 IsoD (strike season)

1995 .051 IsoD

1996 .045 IsoD

1997 .054 IsoD

1998 .041 IsoD

1999 .020 IsoD

2000 .057 IsoD

2001 .044 IsoD

2002 .050 IsoD

2003 .079 IsoD

2004 .021 IsoD

You'll see that his plate discipline has been relatively consistent throughout his career, going up a bit as he got older (as one would expect), with 2003 being the most patient of his career.

Notice, however, that there are two very noticeable outliers in his 17-year career: 1999 and 2004.

What's the signicance of those two seasons? I'll tell you.

In 1999, Lenny Harris was trying to break baseball's all-time single-season pinch hits record. Unfortunately for him, he fell two hits short of the record and finished second on the all-time single-season pinch hits list, but he still posted a career-best 26 pinch hits that season. In case you were wondering, that aberrant .020 IsoD is statistically significant. One could easily see how he went out of his way not to collect walks so as to rack up as many pinch hits as possible.

2004, as we all know, was supposed to be the last of his career; he publicly stated on several occasions his plans to retire after that one last season. Strangely enough, again, for whatever reason, he was extremely aggressive at the plate during a time in his career when one would expect him to exhibit the most discipline. Why? I'd imagine he wanted to hit that all-important number 200 during what he thought would be the last season of his career.

If last season is any indicator, I'd imagine his selfishness will be a liability this season, too, until he finally sets his worthless benchmark.