He scares me. Yes he was working with a 9 run lead and there was no one on base when he gave up those two hits, but what happens when bases are loaded in a 1 run game? It concerns me that he didn't have a 1-2-3 inning or at the very least give up one run.

730330[/snapback]

A lot of closers have their worst outings in blowout games. They don't have their adrenaline running, so they just go up there and throw. I'm not saying that's what happened with Mota, cause it was Opening Day, so you figure he had some adrenaline pumping.. But I'm not gonna start to worry just yet.

He scares me. Yes he was working with a 9 run lead and there was no one on base when he gave up those two hits, but what happens when bases are loaded in a 1 run game? It concerns me that he didn't have a 1-2-3 inning or at the very least give up one run.

730330[/snapback]

Well, a 9 run lead is no pressure... he's not going all out in that situation. The more pressure, the more you concentrate. This wasn't the test.

Guest Juanky

He was just throwing strikes, and buckled down to get the DP when he needed to. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Remember, Armando Benitez gave up a long long homer last Opening Day.

He was just throwing strikes, and buckled down to get the DP when he needed to. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Remember, Armando Benitez gave up a long long homer last Opening Day.

730378[/snapback]

Yeah, that went through my mind as Mota finally got that DP to end the game. Armando didn't close the game well last year, but had a monster year after that. So I'm hoping Mota comes out of the situation the same way.

Coming into the season, Mota has definitely made me nervous, as he didn't look that great with the Fish especially when put into the closer role after Mando went down. Most closers seem a bit shaky in non-save situations so I'll not pass judgment on today's outing and just cross my fingers when he's coming into a close game.

730330[/snapback]

A lot of closers have their worst outings in blowout games. They don't have their adrenaline running, so they just go up there and throw. I'm not saying that's what happened with Mota, cause it was Opening Day, so you figure he had some adrenaline pumping.. But I'm not gonna start to worry just yet.

730375[/snapback]

Mota's not really a closer. Never has been. He came up as a starter and went into a setup role. Nonetheless as a premier set-up man he's had to come in many tough situations, many more tied games than Gagne or closers every pitch in. Perhaps he does have trouble with blowout games. Prin mentioned in the game thread that he hadn't seen game action since Friday, Benitez had that same problem last year.

Well, would you rather have Braden Looper?

730333[/snapback]

That's a scary thought. :unsure

730339[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly..

Now, if we had Gagne.. :mischief2

730351[/snapback]

... he would be on the DL and we still would be depending on Mota...

730397[/snapback]

you stole my script. lolol i was gonna post it even before i read everything else.. blah