Lowell To Dodgers?

In Sunday's Miami Herald sports section, on page 2 under South Florida Sports Buzz, some managers and genral managers around baseball say that the Dodgers would be a very real partner in a Mike Lowell trade. Who would the Marlins recieve in return for Lowell? Quite frankly, I don't think the Dodgers would want a slumping Lowell. But then again, they traded the heart of their team in Paul LoDuca, Guillermo Mota, and Juan Encarnacion to the Marlins in the middle of last season. Who is to say that Paul DePodesta will not take a risk in Lowell in the middle of the season?

Guest Fritz

I wouldn't mind taking board game, then again, I don't see the Dodgers doing this deal unless we eat some of Lowell's contract.

It's been shown that we can do well without Mikey. Miguel can easily step in at 3B. The question is who we get in return. If we send Mikey alone, I would expect a top pitching prospect and someone who can contribute right away at the major league level. If we were to trade him, Niner can step in as the left fielder and Miggy can move to best position. We gain offense (considering how badly Mikey is struggling) and Miggy's not really a step down at 3B. Jack seems to think Miggy could be a gold glover at 3B. With all that said, I think this is all speculation; the Marlins are not trying to move Mikey and I doubt the Dodgers would really be interested. Mikey will not be traded. He will come out of this slump and be himself sometime soon... and continue to bleed teal.

In Sunday's Miami Herald sports section, on page 2 under South Florida Sports Buzz, some managers and genral managers around baseball say that the Dodgers would be a very real partner in a Mike Lowell trade.

777709[/snapback]

From the "unquoted" source: The Miami Herald.

What should Florida do with Mike Lowell, who entered Tuesday hitting .179 and is due $25.5 million through 2007? Two current general managers said the Dodgers would be a logical partner if the Marlins decide to explore a trade, but that dealing Lowell anywhere would be difficult.

''The trade market for Lowell hitting [.179] is going to be minuscule,'' ESPN analyst and former Mets GM Steve Phillips said off-air. ``Even if you want to trade him, you need him to be playing well to get anything in return or get out of his contract. You don't move Miguel Cabrera permanently [to third] and sit Lowell. You have to find a way to get Lowell going.''

Phillips said Lowell ``is trying to hit the ball as soon as it leaves the pitcher's hand, instead of letting it come to him.''

One NL East scout with another team said Lowell's biggest problem is ``pitchers are getting him to chase stuff out and away.''

Somebody needs some quick reading comprehension lessons. Since when "two general managers" become "some managers and general managers around baseball"? Also, how could the Dodgers be a "very real partner" when the article refers to the Dodgers as a "logical partner"? Finally, this is all dependent on the Marlins deciding to explore a trade.

So, how to understand this article? Easy, two unnamed sources have said that if the Marlins want to get rid of Lowell, which they don't think they will because of average and the type of player he is, the Dodgers might be a logical trading partner for reasons they fail to explain.

So, stop mentioning players in a trade for Lowell. It ain't happening!!!

They don't have anyone capable of taking over at third for us.

777722[/snapback]

No, but we do. His name is Miguel Cabrera. Then we could just move Niner to LF. Edwin Jackson and Carrara or Brazoban would be a good deal for us.

777723[/snapback]

Dude, don't you get it! Lowell is the face of this team. Whenever you think of the Marlins you think first of Lowell. Yes, and then Cabrera, I give you that. But Lowell is the hometown hero who accepted less money to stay with the marlins, who played hurt during the WS in 2003, who bleeds teal even after getting hiy by a foul ball. It is bad PR to move such a guy to another team. He is just in a slump. You don't see that Yankees looking for "logical trade partners" when Jeter or ARod goes in a prolongued slump, and believe me, they all have. He will come out of it because he is a player of the same caliber.

Guest Jack1

I doubt Lowell will be traded. As has been said before, he IS the Marlins. Fans would be pretty ticked off. Lowell will come out of this slump and when he does...WATCH OUT!!

As has been said before, he IS the Marlins. Fans would be pretty ticked off.

777736[/snapback]

Ya think?? With the talk about trading Niner and then if they trade Mikey, two words would come to people's minds: fire sale.

Anyway, I know that I can rest easy since Mikey seems not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Eh, from what I see all it says If they wanted a trade, they'd be a logical partner... and that's a pretty good point since the Dodgers could use a third basemen.

That doesn't mean the Marlins or Dodgers have even given the idea thought.

Who the heck wrote this article anyway?

777725[/snapback]

miami herald it says here....

777737[/snapback]

The Herald has writers. ;)

777742[/snapback]

oops me bad...

heres the quote

In Sunday's Miami Herald sports section, on page 2 under South Florida Sports Buzz, some managers and genral managers around baseball say that the Dodgers would be a very real partner in a Mike Lowell trade.

Barry Jackson wrote it.... :thumbup