May 19, 200521 yr Who the heck wrote this article anyway? 777725[/snapback] miami herald it says here.... 777737[/snapback] The Herald has writers. 777742[/snapback] oops me bad... heres the quote In Sunday's Miami Herald sports section, on page 2 under South Florida Sports Buzz, some managers and genral managers around baseball say that the Dodgers would be a very real partner in a Mike Lowell trade. Barry Jackson wrote it.... :thumbup 777746[/snapback] Nothing will happen until June 9, or whatever "deadline" MLB set for the Marlins to line up financing for the new stadium. If the Marlins get the stadium squared away, then who cares about trading the most popular player? Once the stadium deal is done, the Marlins can focus on doing whatever it takes to improve the team, either short or long term. Personally, I'd love to the Marlins to grab Greg Miller and/or Andy Laroche and/or Willy Aybar.
May 19, 200521 yr By the way, Willy Aybar (who plays 3B, I think) is raking in AAA: 522 SLG, 348 BA. He also walks a litte (403 OBP) and is listed as only 22 years old. (Although he's probably closer to 25). I'd trade Lowell for Aybar and a mid-level lefty pitching prospect (e.g. Derek Thompson -- 39K in 35 2/3 innings, 4.04 ERA for AA Jacksonville)
May 19, 200521 yr By the way, Willy Aybar (who plays 3B, I think) is raking in AAA: 522 SLG, 348 BA. He also walks a litte (403 OBP) and is listed as only 22 years old. (Although he's probably closer to 25). I'd trade Lowell for Aybar and a mid-level lefty pitching prospect (e.g. Derek Thompson -- 39K in 35 2/3 innings, 4.04 ERA for AA Jacksonville) 777766[/snapback] hell no i wouldn't trade him at all...after he commited himself to us for 3 more years..my answer is still hell no we can't trade him...bad trade if it happens...
May 19, 200521 yr First off let me tell you I'm all for making our team better...that should be the bottomline players come and go. Are the Marlins looking to deal Lowell? NO but if this continue how can't they not look around. We all know Miggy would rather play 3B than the OF, and a OF is easier to find than a good 3B. Milton Bradley would be nice, but Penny would be sweet. The bottomline here is to improve your team by moving around commodities. You have a above average 3B playing the OF and you have an upcoming RF in AA. You have a big ticket 3B who is struggling , who is playing on a team who needs "ALL" of its contracts to be performing at there level. it add up as a possible move, but we shouldn't be disappointed if Lowell is traded for ML talent that improves our team
May 19, 200521 yr Mike Lowell for Jayson Werth I don't think that would be the stupidest trade in the world. Werth hit 16 HR in 290 ABs last year. He's a good young outfielder and he would be a lot cheaper then Lowell. It would probably make sense for both teams as we could move Cabrera to 3B and they could keep Ledee/Repko in LF. And if we could get a RP out of it as well, whether it be that goofy LH reliever they have.. then hey, works for me. With that being said, I don't want to trade Lowell.
May 19, 200521 yr Last season we tried so hard to keep Mikey Lowell on this team.. he could have just left but he signed with us.. If the Marlins spent alot of their time and money on signing Mikey why would they be this quick to trade him.. He is going to stay with us! :thumbup
May 19, 200521 yr They don't have anyone capable of taking over at third for us. 777722[/snapback] No, but we do. His name is Miguel Cabrera. Then we could just move Niner to LF. Edwin Jackson and Carrara or Brazoban would be a good deal for us. 777723[/snapback] Dude, don't you get it! Lowell is the face of this team. Whenever you think of the Marlins you think first of Lowell. Yes, and then Cabrera, I give you that. But Lowell is the hometown hero who accepted less money to stay with the marlins, who played hurt during the WS in 2003, who bleeds teal even after getting hiy by a foul ball. It is bad PR to move such a guy to another team. He is just in a slump. You don't see that Yankees looking for "logical trade partners" when Jeter or ARod goes in a prolongued slump, and believe me, they all have. He will come out of it because he is a player of the same caliber. 777730[/snapback] Niner is the face of the team, even if he is on the bench every game.
May 19, 200521 yr If we did trade Lowell to the Dodgers, unless the deal included Joel Guzman then no way in hell would I do it. Lowell for Penny and Guzman would be an amazing deal.
May 19, 200521 yr They don't have anyone capable of taking over at third for us. 777722[/snapback] No, but we do. His name is Miguel Cabrera. Then we could just move Niner to LF. Edwin Jackson and Carrara or Brazoban would be a good deal for us. 777723[/snapback] Dude, don't you get it! Lowell is the face of this team. Whenever you think of the Marlins you think first of Lowell. Yes, and then Cabrera, I give you that. But Lowell is the hometown hero who accepted less money to stay with the marlins, who played hurt during the WS in 2003, who bleeds teal even after getting hiy by a foul ball. It is bad PR to move such a guy to another team. He is just in a slump. You don't see that Yankees looking for "logical trade partners" when Jeter or ARod goes in a prolongued slump, and believe me, they all have. He will come out of it because he is a player of the same caliber. 777730[/snapback] Niner is the face of the team, even if he is on the bench every game. 777795[/snapback] :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol ...but that's the truth...
May 19, 200521 yr First off let me tell you I'm all for making our team better...that should be the bottomline players come and go. 777770[/snapback] There you have it. Plain and simple. You do what you can to make your team better. Now, does trading Lowell make your team better. If it does make the team better I have no problem trading Lowell. If it doesnt make the team better than I have a problem with trading Lowell. There are no loyalties in sports. Lowell stayed with the Marlins because he wants to be a Marlin, he wants to stay in Miami, he didnt do it as a favor to the Marlins. Personally I love Lowell, he grew up in Miami, went to college in Miami, and won a WS in Miami, I dont want to see him leave, but if a trade came along to MAKE THE TEAM BETTER, than Im sorry, Lowell isnt bigger than the TEAM.
May 19, 200521 yr First off let me tell you I'm all for making our team better...that should be the bottomline players come and go. 777770[/snapback] There you have it. Plain and simple. You do what you can to make your team better. Now, does trading Lowell make your team better. If it does make the team better I have no problem trading Lowell. If it doesnt make the team better than I have a problem with trading Lowell. There are no loyalties in sports. Lowell stayed with the Marlins because he wants to be a Marlin, he wants to stay in Miami, he didnt do it as a favor to the Marlins. Personally I love Lowell, he grew up in Miami, went to college in Miami, and won a WS in Miami, I dont want to see him leave, but if a trade came along to MAKE THE TEAM BETTER, than Im sorry, Lowell isnt bigger than the TEAM. 777804[/snapback] Well said.
May 19, 200521 yr I don't know if trading Lowell would be the best option, but it may come down to that. Lowell's due $18 million over the next 2 years, and we'll probably need that money to have any chance of signing Beckett or Burnett. We have a capable 3rd baseman in Cabrera, and it's pretty clear that 3rd base is by far his best defensive position, and Willy/Conine I think would do just fine in Left. If we can pick up a solid starting pitcher or very good prospects I think Beinfest would at least have to consider it.
May 19, 200521 yr I can understand why the Dodgers want Lowell, the loss of Beltre last year has left them without a thirdbaseman since.
May 19, 200521 yr Im not saying I would look forward to dealing Lowell but that saves a s***-ton of money especially considering we could have 2 rookies in the OF next year.... and maybe even Kensing in the rotation
May 19, 200521 yr I'll add something else in regards to the Dodgers. What do they have that the Marlins would want to even consider moving Lowell? Yhency Brazoban? Brad Penny? Odalis Perez? Milton is a CF and thats where he wants to play, so unless the Dodgers are moving one of there starters along with another arm I don't see....BUT they could think Edwin Jackson is ready. I don't see the Dodgers trade, but that doesn't mean Lowell can't be traded Penny wouldn't be a bad move seeing AJ is all but gone dawg31 do you want to add anything?
May 19, 200521 yr I wouldn't be against it, if it improved the team. We do have Willy and Hermida hangin around along with Conine. So that isn't a problem. I still have faith that Mike will turn it around and put up his typical numbers. If a starter were to come back in the deal would that send Leiter to the bullpen?
May 19, 200521 yr Why are people ignoring the obvious in Jayson Werth? He's young, CHEAP and talented... and that would open up money for re-signing Burnett next year. I think he's what, a week or so away from returning to the majors from his rehab assigment. Anyway, I really like him. I figure him for 30 HR potential in a full year. Leiter isn't going to the bullpen and I don't see them trading a starting pitcher when they already have Scott Frickin Erickson in their rotation.
May 19, 200521 yr Why is everybody so opposed to trading an overpaid 3rd baseman who isn't hitting to a team with a nice crop of young and cheap talent you could get in return? Gotta pull the trigger if you can, plus that guy in left field isn't a bad 3rd baseman....
May 19, 200521 yr Why is everybody so opposed to trading an overpaid 3rd baseman who isn't hitting to a team with a nice crop of young and cheap talent you could get in return? Gotta pull the trigger if you can, plus that guy in left field isn't a bad 3rd baseman.... 777854[/snapback] I get into this argument with my buddy -- a diehard Dolphins fan -- all the time: starting around 1995, should we have traded an aging Dan Marino for young talent? I say "hell, yeah," as long as we improved the team. He thought we should never trade Dan because he was the "face" of the franchise and it would have been disloyal to Dan to trade him. Imho, being a fan isn't about rooting for a particular player -- it's about having your team win championships. If the team is comprised of a bunch of thugs, then I can see not wanting to root for them no matter how many rings they win, but there's no one player I'm so attached to in any sport that I wouldn't trade anyway if it improves your chances of winning a championship...
May 19, 200521 yr Why is everybody so opposed to trading an overpaid 3rd baseman who isn't hitting to a team with a nice crop of young and cheap talent you could get in return? Gotta pull the trigger if you can, plus that guy in left field isn't a bad 3rd baseman.... 777854[/snapback] I get into this argument with my buddy -- a diehard Dolphins fan -- all the time: starting around 1995, should we have traded an aging Dan Marino for young talent? I say "hell, yeah," as long as we improved the team. He thought we should never trade Dan because he was the "face" of the franchise and it would have been disloyal to Dan to trade him. Imho, being a fan isn't about rooting for a particular player -- it's about having your team win championships. If the team is comprised of a bunch of thugs, then I can see not wanting to root for them no matter how many rings they win, but there's no one player I'm so attached to in any sport that I wouldn't trade anyway if it improves your chances of winning a championship... 777857[/snapback] dude don't compare Marino with Lowell, if the Dolphins would have traded Marino there would be no Miami, am talking about there would have been Riots. If Lowell gets traded it will be sad to see him go but Miami would learn to live with it, Trading Marino the city of Miami would still be hurting and talking about it
May 19, 200521 yr Why is everybody so opposed to trading an overpaid 3rd baseman who isn't hitting to a team with a nice crop of young and cheap talent you could get in return? Gotta pull the trigger if you can, plus that guy in left field isn't a bad 3rd baseman.... 777854[/snapback] I get into this argument with my buddy -- a diehard Dolphins fan -- all the time: starting around 1995, should we have traded an aging Dan Marino for young talent? I say "hell, yeah," as long as we improved the team. He thought we should never trade Dan because he was the "face" of the franchise and it would have been disloyal to Dan to trade him. Imho, being a fan isn't about rooting for a particular player -- it's about having your team win championships. If the team is comprised of a bunch of thugs, then I can see not wanting to root for them no matter how many rings they win, but there's no one player I'm so attached to in any sport that I wouldn't trade anyway if it improves your chances of winning a championship... 777857[/snapback] Exactly, sentimental favorites and franchise faces don't win championships, talent does...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.