Tonight's Lineup

Admin

Juan Pierre - OF - Marlins

Juan Pierre has been dropped to the seventh spot in tonight's lineup. Juan Encarancion is batting second.

Manager Jack McKeon has been very willing to do this with Luis Castillo in the past, so it's about time Pierre received the same treatment. Pierre is batting .255/.306/.325 in 212 AB this season. Jun. 8 - 6:27 pm et

I like that Jack is sticking with the core team and trying to figure out away to get them to work together. Encarnacion should be fine in the 2 hole, he has speed and some pop, the only thing I would have liked would be to have Mike Lowell moved up to the 5 hole, lately he appears to be coming around and getting on base. And having Dontrelle in the line up give some solidity to the bottom half... I almost wonder if we should have Willis bat 8th and Pierre 9th, lol, Willis can produce with the bat, and we could use anything right now. Go Fish!

Well, at least JP isn't leading off.? Our better hitters are now grouped nice and tight.? I'd prefer JP hitting 8th.? That way if they decide to intentionally walk him to get to the pitcher they put on a fast baserunner.

801072[/snapback]

A VERY excellent point.

801073[/snapback]

then again, if they want to intentionally walk someone to get to dontrelle... be my guest!

Well, at least JP isn't leading off. Our better hitters are now grouped nice and tight. I'd prefer JP hitting 8th. That way if they decide to intentionally walk him to get to the pitcher they put on a fast baserunner.

801072[/snapback]

A VERY excellent point.

801073[/snapback]

That's a sweet idea.

Guest Juanky

Castillo on base 3 times. Yep, don't mess with it.

Luiy, Enc, and Carlos all got on base 3 times with Juanpy adding in another two. The rest of the lineup didn't do much but I think if we stick with this one it'll come around eventually.

I'm liking Enc on the 2nd for now. He has speed and he is showing plate discipline and patience most of the time.

JP should get better at the 7th spot soon (less stress)

801705[/snapback]

Isn't that something. Enc showing plate discipline? He's always been a good contact hitter and is no longer going after the outside sliders. He is clearly exceeding all expectations this year and is one of the few bright spots in the offense.

Well, at least JP isn't leading off. Our better hitters are now grouped nice and tight. I'd prefer JP hitting 8th. That way if they decide to intentionally walk him to get to the pitcher they put on a fast baserunner.

801072[/snapback]

No.

There are only two times when the 8th batter is intentionally walked.

1. when there's already a runner on base somewhere (very little to gain from speed from the trailing baserunner).

2. bases empty and two outs (and often a struggling pitcher on mound). You want them to walk the 8th hitter every time in that situation. You stand a greater chance to score by turning over the lineup with 0 out next inning, and maybe just maybe that walk can spark a 2-out rally. Pierre's speed would tempt opposing teams' pitchers not to walk him.