Great job by Vargas last night

Marlins2003

I know it's only been one start, but I for one was extremely impressed with the kid last night. It looks like (regardless of all the "d*mn Jack for every move he makes" talk here) having the kid pitch an inning the other night to get his feet wet paid off.

I don't know what the experts say at BA and other authoritative minor league sites, but in my eyes Vargas is way ahead of Olsen when it comes to being major league ready. Of course, I only saw him on tv (like everyone else) and tv can be deceiving, but from all appearances this is one kid you want to keep around.

I'm excited to see what he does in his next start. I suspect he's going to get better and better. :thumbup

That hit was amazing. I heard them on the tv last night saying how he was DH in college. He's like Willis, wins his own games...at least tries. I thought Vargas looked sharp, but his velocity was a little low I thought. Also, what pitches was he throwing? It looked like changeup/fastball to me...does he have a strikeout pitch?

That hit was amazing. I heard them on the tv last night saying how he was DH in college. He's like Willis, wins his own games...at least tries. I thought Vargas looked sharp, but his velocity was a little low I thought. Also, what pitches was he throwing? It looked like changeup/fastball to me...does he have a strikeout pitch?

864655[/snapback]

What do you expect? He was in low-A ball to start the year, they don't usually have to fast of a fastball.

No.

864432[/snapback]

Not if we have to pay him to play elsewhere...

864435[/snapback]

That hit was amazing.? I heard them on the tv last night saying how he was DH in college.? He's like Willis, wins his own games...at least tries.? I thought Vargas looked sharp, but his velocity was a little low I thought.? Also, what pitches was he throwing?? It looked like changeup/fastball to me...does he have a strikeout pitch?

864655[/snapback]

What do you expect? He was in low-A ball to start the year, they don't usually have to fast of a fastball.

864658[/snapback]

Yeah fair enough, it's still of a hell of a lot faster than I can throw. It's amazing to me that he did so well. Does anyone know what pitches he packs though?

He needs more time in the minors. He's not ready.

864689[/snapback]

I'm an advocate of bringing guys up later rather than sooner, so to that extent I agree. Generally, I don't like the way kids are rushed through the minor league systems and thrown to the wolves before their heads and bodies are ready.

But if the Marlins (and every other team) are going to keep rushing kids, this one seems (perhaps because he's coming out of four years of college and not a high school phenom) to be better prepared than most.

I really hope that Moehler goes to the pen. He allows way too many hits.

864653[/snapback]

Why would you want him in the bullpen then? Guys who come out of the pen are asked not to give up hits (usually because they come in with guys on base). Moehler has been good in the rotation all things considered.