Waltz

Mephisto

Guest Juanky

1) I really can't believe you're comparing jinxes and religion.

2) So we're supposed to keep our mouths shut when people spout off about "oh you jinxed them lol", but if we disagree we need to shut up? What is this, Communist China?

3) You can't prove that someone saying something on a message board in Hoboken NJ has ANY affect on the game at all. None.

I really hope you're letting off steam after the loss here Juanky, because this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read. Seriously. And that's coming from someone who usually enjoys reading your posts.

It was with an angry tone, but it still stands for the most part.

Well, first, what better to compare a jinx to than religion? Both believe in a supernatural existence, both think that some events in their respective area of belief are controlled by something other than themselves, and both have little to no proof to support any of it. I'm a a deep believer in Catholicism and I still don't see how it is so awkward to compare baseball's religion with that of any other type. Hell, there are even classes in some respected universities such as NYU titled "Baseball as a Religion." I'm not the only one that has drawn this comparison.

Second, no, you aren't supposed to keep your mouths shut. However, when someone says something is a jinx don't shoot back at them with a one liner that it's bulls***. People's beliefs should be respected and not treated as things that can just be insulted as if the first party's are any higher than the second party's.

I'm torn on baseball religion because religion on the whole utterly fascinates me, and when someone asks for proof in a religious context you can't really say anything. There's no proof either way. Can I say the guy from Hoboken has a say on the game with any sort of assurance? No. Can you say that he doesn't? No, since we're not dealing with science here.

This is just an issue of you believe what you believe, and no one's mind is going to be changed. It'd be nice if people's beliefs were treated with respect, but that might be a tad too much to ask.

Just to note, the course at NYU is a little different than how you are interpreting it. Here is the course description:

Baseball has been called America?s game, and it captures the American progressive spirit in a special way. (Only in America would there be a game the object of which would be to bat a ball outside a playing field, with the result named ?going home.?) Still more, the game has revealed a capacity to grip individuals, families, and collections of friends in a way that transforms their experience of the mundane into something sublime?for some, a genuinely spiritual experience. This course examines baseball as a metaphor capable of producing such experiences. It uses both a set of readings illustrative of the metaphor (such as Kinsella?s The Iowa Baseball Confederacy) and a set of readings reflecting on the metaphor (such as Giamatti?s A Great and Glorious Game). These readings are discussed against a background of religion as a phenomenon (illustrated with texts such as Eliade?s The Sacred and the Profane).

http://www.nyu.edu/gallatin/current/ba/cou...sciplinary.html (search for "Baseball as a Road to God").

Its point is not that baseball is a "religion"; it's that baseball, like many other things, because of its nature, may be capable of producing spiritual experiences. Think Field of Dreams. The course doesn't have anything to do with a baseball game being the result of divine intervention. Don't mean to argue, just want to clarify on that issue.

I just have an extremely difficult time believing that anything in this world, baseball included, is the result of anything other than the factors that directly contribute to it. Words are just words.

Agree to disagree.

Guest Juanky

I can't disprove jinxes but do you really believe that supernatural forces are concerned with sports? I mean, seriously?

I don't know. And since I don't know, I'd rather not test it.

And that's cool, Cougar.

I welcome Waltz to the Black-listed Marlins fans. BUT, being someone that does not believe in jinxes or my supposed magical power to say things that change the way the Marlins play, I'd say it is definitely time to give Lowell a seat on the bench and give some other players a try at bringing in runs. Don't get me wrong, Lowell is an EXCELLENT 3B, but I think hitting will prove to be more important in this team's situation.

Tell me, how could Waltz possibly have helped things by making that comment?

895562[/snapback]

:lol :lol

I can't believe I'm reading some of this... Not only are we arguing whether or not a comment made in the broadcast booth affect the outcome of the game, but now the question is being raised as how it can help ???????? :lol :lol

For all who do not understand the purpose of a play by play announcer. Their job is to call the game, and to keep the audience informed and entertained, they are supposed to discuss all possibilities and scenarios.

I feel like I'm reading a thread put together by a bunch of uneducated 14 year olds... Baseball is a sport. It is won and lost between the lines and nowhere else, especially an air-conditioned room with a couple of guys talking.

You guys have hit rock bottom here.

This is ridiculous. The marlins got swept today cuz they played badly, that's it. It doesn't help much that we have forty home runs and 180 rbi's missing from the line up. Today it was as if there were two minor league teams playing out there, and ours lost. Saying that Waltz jinxed the team is just preposterous. We should be focusing on other things rather than this jinx garbage.

This is the pinnacle of the jinx crisis on the MB.com message boards, but it has been around for awhile. It seems like 35% of the threads have 4-5 guys posting retarded stuff like "Mods-shut this down before it jinxes us." What a waste of everybodys time to have to read that crazy garbage while trying to talk baseball.