Cheney in 08?

Bob Woodward apparently thinks so. IMO he would get the nomination if he wanted it out of respect. Only issue would be his health.

Woodward: Cheney to run in '08

By Troy Hooper

Special to The Denver Post

Aspen - Renowned journalist Bob Woodward predicts Dick Cheney will be the Republican Party's presidential nominee in 2008 and that the vice president could face Democratic Sen. Hillary Clinton in a dramatic partisan showdown.

Speaking in the Paepcke Auditorium as part of the Aspen Institute's McCloskey Speaker Series, Woodward on Tuesday listed a number of reasons it is "highly likely" President Bush might implore Cheney to seek the Oval Office.

"He would be 67 if he ran and was elected. Reagan was 69. Republicans always like the old warhorse. ... Nixon was 68," said Woodward, best known for exposing the Watergate scandal that led to Richard Nixon's resignation in 1974. "Both parties like to nominate vice presidents. ... Cheney would do it, and I think it's highly likely, so stay tuned."

But while the Pulitzer Prize- winning journalist, whose talk was titled "From Nixon to Bush," drew the loudest audience reaction with his Cheney prediction, the Nixon tapes and the war in Iraq were his main focus.

Woodward described Nixon, who resigned 31 years ago this week, as intelligent and engaging but also unmistakably drunk on the power of the presidency. The Nixon tapes, which he called "the gift that just keeps giving," reveal that Nixon used his power to settle political scores.

"He spent too much time to not only settle these scores and screw people, but to assert he was in power, he was on top," said Woodward, author of "The Secret Man: The Story of Watergate's Deep Throat," which gives a behind-the-scenes account of one of the best-kept secrets in American history.

Nixon remarked during his farewell speech: "Always remember that others may hate you, but thosewho hate you don't win unless you hate them."

Woodward said Nixon had to walk away from the presidency because "he understood the hating is what did him in. ... When you look back on it, you have to give him credit. It was probably one of his bravest and most noble acts. ... As he said, he impeached himself."

Although he has co-authored or authored more No. 1 best-selling nonfiction books than any contemporary writer, Woodward, 62, still works at The Washington Post as the assistant managing editor. He said the paper gave him an entire year to talk to mostly lower-level and midlevel officials for what turned into his 2002 hardback, "Bush at War."

But he was also given the chance to interview President Bush for 3? hours over two days in what he said felt more like a legal deposition than a traditional media interview.

"Bush gives very direct answers," he said. "If you'd interviewed President Clinton for 3? hours, you might have time to ask 12 questions. Bush is on the total other end."

Woodward portrayed Bush as a man rooted in his convictions who feels he has a duty to spread democracy. But he also depicted the president as a fatalist who once told him, "We won't know" how history will judge the Iraq war because "we'll all be dead."

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2927547

As a pretty strong conservative Republican...

I'd vote for Hillary.

898748[/snapback]

:blink:

As a registered democrat, Im opposed to Hillary getting the nod, right now. Of course that could change. I would really prefer Bayh or Warner and not just for electability reasons. Warner gave a speech on why he was a democrat and it was pretty inspiring. I also saw a speech Bayh gave and he really impressed me. (as Ive mentioned before, I was also impressed by his writing and explaining to a death row inmate why he had to sign the death order). I put these convictions above Hillary right now who seems more like a bona fide politician to me. But, as a dem, Id take Hillary over nearly all the Republicans except the possibility of McCain. At which point Id become undecided. McCain's convictions outweigh Hillary for me but his views on major issues and what he would prioritize would be vital to me. (ie he might be pro-life but will he make it a huge deal and oppose things like contraceptives etc.).

I think a Cheney Hillary election would lead to a tight race with lower turnout from the center but higher turnout from the wings. A McCain Hillary election would be a romp for McCain and a Bayh/Warner v Cheney election would be a romp for the dems. A McCain v Bayh/Warner election would be interesting and could actually be a civil one.

Then there are the X factors.

Wes Clark is my guy if he puts himself in the primary again.? Strong on defense and a moderate.

898791[/snapback]

I honestly thought he was the guaranteed win over Bush in the last election and I wanted him to get the Democratic ticket, but somehow it didn't work out for him.

898793[/snapback]

The establishment wanted Kerry and what the establishment wants it gets. They destroyed Dean.

VP DC will not run he doesnt have the health , he seriously would die even with a very light schedule in 04 he got ran down , plus he is not electable while he is smart and an excellent debater he doesnt have the likeable quality Bush has and he knows that after 8 years no matter how great of a job a president has done Americans will vote for change . As far as Clinton goes she is unelectable her record despite her attempt to move the center is extremely liberal and it is almost impossible for a North East liberal Democrat to get elected . Both parties will look down south and out west for their candidates

being registered independent....lets go 3rd party candidates....

Im conservative in nature (not much of a risk taker), but moderate in political views.

I liked Clark only because he wanted to give me money, although by the time the next election rolls around Ill either have a year left or be getting ready for graduate school, so that probably wont matter anymore.

I wouldnt mind a McCain ticket.

I wouldnt mind a Bayh or Warner ticket wouldnt be too bad.

I think Hillary would have one Huge advantage in that election. Bill would be on the campaign trail left and right. He would be going every which way to get her into office. Because of partly his hard feelings towards Bush and Cheney.

Now that being said, I think there is better canidates then Hillary. The democrats should run a spanish VP or Presidental canidate. In the last election the republican party went hard core at the spanish base in the US. Which traditionally is often upon the Democrats side. I really believe in the 80s and the past 8 years the republicans have really hit hard the democrats base. Through either destroying most unions in the country (ship those jobs off and unions seem to go poof often or weaken), or portraying the liberal left wing of the democrats as pychos.

When did Liberal become a bad word to use? It seems that it is taken within the context of a terrible thing in the media. Funny when the media in this country is very heavily pro republican now for a while.

When did Liberal become a bad word to use? It seems that it is taken within the context of a terrible thing in the media. Funny when the media in this country is very heavily pro republican now for a while.

899652[/snapback]

And yet the Republicans still complain about the so-called "liberal media".

Lately, however, the media has been organizing against Bush as his approval rating plummets, and mothers of fallen soldiers start to protest outside his ranch.