Tonight highlites the need for Lowell

JackIamYourFather

Yes, his home runs have disappeared, his average is 40 points too low, and his clutch rbi's have been inconsistent.

But for the anti-Mikey people out there, if tonight didnt show just how valuable Lowell is to the team, I doubt you'll ever see the light.

Mike Lowell WILL continue to be the starting 3rd baseman on this team for as long as hes with us. His age and experience, his leadership qualities, his gold glove defense, and most importantly his stellar intangibles and mental toughness make up for any bat struggles he can have.

No matter what his numbers are at the end of the season, if we make the playoffs I know theres not many people Id rather have up to bat with RISP in the playoffs than Mike Lowell. He is a proven winner and a great Marlin.

his stellar intangibles and mental toughness make up for any bat struggles he can have.898491[/snapback]

There comes a time with anyone (no matter who they are) when it's just a matter of put up or shut-up.

It won't happen now, so it may not even be worth the discussion, but if any team is willing to take Lowell and all of his salary...we have to jump on it.

Yes he's going to remain a starter (mostly because you can't have $8 million rotting on the bench), yes he's our veteran leader (don't get me started about his "leadership qualities"), but no, he does not deserve a free pass because of what he's done in the past. He's not just in decline, he's in a free fall.

He won the game for us tonight, but he's cost us a bunch of others...

his stellar intangibles and mental toughness make up for any bat struggles he can have.898491[/snapback]

There comes a time with anyone (no matter who they are) when it's just a matter of put up or shut-up.

It won't happen now, so it may not even be worth the discussion, but if any team is willing to take Lowell and all of his salary...we have to jump on it.

Yes he's going to remain a starter (mostly because you can't have $8 million rotting on the bench), yes he's our veteran leader (don't get me started about his "leadership qualities"), but no, he does not deserve a free pass because of what he's done in the past. He's not just in decline, he's in a free fall.

898499[/snapback]

freefall?

i dont think so. he's batting like .242.

alex gonzalez is a lifetime .246 hitter and he's batting .281 this year

enc is a lifetime .268 hitter batting .296

lowell is career .273 hitter batting .240

gonzalez is batting 35 pts higher than his average

enc is batting 28 pts higher than his average

lowell is batting 33 pts below his average

now granted the power isn't there and he's been meered in a slump dating back to last august but

iunno, i just think that if players that usually don't perform and then they do its great awesome whatever, but if they underperform people flip out.

mike lowell is one of the most valuable assets to this team.

if anyone wants to have a debate lets go at it. past present future, whatever.

898499[/snapback]

freefall?

now granted the power isn't there and he's been meered in a slump dating back to last august but

iunno, i just think that if players that usually don't perform and then they do its great awesome whatever, but if they underperform people flip out.

898524[/snapback]

Two words: 7 homers.

Two more: drug testing.

898499[/snapback]

freefall?

898524[/snapback]

898527[/snapback]

two sets of circumstances

i think we're being naive if we say that steroids aren't a question no matter how much we back up our players, so if thats what it is, than so be it.

but if its not...

then would you agree with me?

You people need to take off your Lowell glasses. Yes he made a huge play to win your the game tonight, but how many games has he lost you? The fact of the matter is he a sucky hitter and you can get a great fielder with no bat for alot less money then hes making.

898499[/snapback]

freefall?

898524[/snapback]

898527[/snapback]

PWNED

898499[/snapback]

freefall?

898524[/snapback]

A .240 hitter with 7 homers is never a valuable asset. Lowells career average before drug testing .270. Lowells average with drug testing .240. You have to look at it like that.

Three posts, one definitely meaningless. "omgs he pwned you" - really, nobody cares.

If you want to call "pwn" .. look at your teams record.

A man is innocent until proven guilty.

I bet if steroids wasn't the common talk this year, they wouldn't even be in the same question as a slump. Steroids wasn't that huge last year, that's when most of you say the slump started, so why did he "stop taking them" last year? I don't think it's steroids, people slump sometimes, steroids aren't always the answer to a slump.

Three posts, one definitely meaningless. "omgs he pwned you" - really, nobody cares.

I bet if steroids wasn't the common talk this year, they wouldn't even be in the same question as a slump. Steroids wasn't that huge last year, that's when most of you say the slump started, so why did he "stop taking them" last year? I don't think it's steroids, people slump sometimes, steroids aren't always the answer to a slump.

898562[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure I brought this up before, but season-long slumps do happen. Case in point:

Jeff Conine

1994: .319/18/82 *strike shortened

1995: .302/25/105

1996: .293/26/95

1997: .242/17/61

If Conine had his '97 season more recently, would people have thrown the steroids label on him? Lowell has had a bad season, yes...but you've got it right--innocent until proven guilty. Also note that (obviously) Conine had good seasons following the '97 season in Baltimore and here, so it's not like he was finished either.

but stranded, Conine still hit with some power, no?

898660[/snapback]

Well, here are the numbers. Lowell has definitely dropped off a lot more this season than Conine in '97. We'll see where this is at the end of the year. That being said, slugging .405 isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

Conine-SLG Lowell-SLG

1994: .525 2002: .471

1995: .520 2003: .530

1996: .484 2004: .505

1997: .405 2005: .367

I bet if steroids wasn't the common talk this year, they wouldn't even be in the same question as a slump.? Steroids wasn't that huge last year, that's when most of you say the slump started, so why did he "stop taking them" last year?? I don't think it's steroids, people slump sometimes, steroids aren't always the answer to a slump.

898562[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure I brought this up before, but season-long slumps do happen. Case in point:

Jeff Conine

1994: .319/18/82 *strike shortened

1995: .302/25/105

1996: .293/26/95

1997: .242/17/61

If Conine had his '97 season more recently, would people have thrown the steroids label on him? Lowell has had a bad season, yes...but you've got it right--innocent until proven guilty. Also note that (obviously) Conine had good seasons following the '97 season in Baltimore and here, so it's not like he was finished either.

898629[/snapback]

Conine was a 20 home run guy who hit 17, while splitting P.T. with Daulton. Lowell's a 30 home run guy who might not hit 10, and he'll end up playing about 150 games.

898562[/snapback]

It takes a certain amount of time for steroids to leave someone's system. The more potent the steroid, the longer it says in one's body, making the user still test positive even if he hadn't used the substance recently.

With the new steroid policy's announcement almost exactly coinciding with Lowell's decline, it's beyond suspicious. No one said anything last year because Lowell usually struggles after the All-Star Break, but looking at the whole picture, it now actually seems to make a whole lot more sense...

It takes a certain amount of time for steroids to leave someone's system. The more potent the steroid, the longer it says in one's body, making the user still test positive even if he hadn't used the substance recently.

With the new steroid policy's announcement almost exactly coinciding with Lowell's decline, it's beyond suspicious. No one said anything last year because Lowell usually struggles after the All-Star Break, but looking at the whole picture, it now actually seems to make a whole lot more sense...

898739[/snapback]

.................../`` /:::::::::::``~,

................../:::,/`'''''''''''``-- ,:::\

..................|::/ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? -|::::|YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!

...................\| ? ????_ - -_??? ?|::/....................... .....................................___

...................-|? ? ??-`|: :| -?? ?|:/|....................... ................................_-~`` ? ? ? \..

...................|;| ? ? ? / ? \ ? ? ? | ;/....... ......................................, ---~`` ? ` ? ? ? ? , /

...................`-| ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?|`............. ................................./` ? ? ? ? ? ?_?,?-````

......................\ ? ?`????` ?,,- |,................ ................. ........./ ? ? ? ? ? ? /_,,__,,

........................`\ ? ? ?? ? /-` / ``~-,.............___... ...... ....../ ? ?'~,,,_? `? ? ? ?`|? ?\

.........................| ?-??? ? /::::::::::::`/``?/?::::::::\... ... .../? ? ? ?? ? ? ?\ /? ? ? |? ? | \

.....................,` :| ?/??\`~,/::::::::::::::/::::/::::/????`-,_,| ? ? ? ? ? ? ? |? ? ? ?/???| ? /

................-~`:: :| ? /::::::\?/::::::::::::::/::/``::::::::::::::::::/ `-_??``~`? /`? ? / / /

....._..-~`/::::::: :| ? /:::::::/::::::::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::/:\ ? ?`-,,--,__/,__/,_, /

.../::::::::/:::::::: :| /::::::::/:::::::::::::/:::::::::\::::::::::::: :| ::::\? ?? ?``~-~--~

..|:::::::: :| :::::::::: |:::::::/:::::::::::::/::::::::::::\:::::::::::: :| ::::::\ ? ? ? ? ? /

./:\::::::: :| :::::::::: |::::::/::::::::::::/:::::::::::::::\:::::::::::::\::::::??~~?|

/:::\:::::::\:::::::::: |::::/:::::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::``~-,_,,_______,__,-'

::::\::::::::\::::::::: |:::/::::::::::/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

:::::\:::::::::\::::::: |::/:::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

:::::::\:::::::::\::::: |:/:::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

:::::::::\:::::::::\::: |::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

::::::::: :| ::::::::::\: |::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :|

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |:/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

It takes a certain amount of time for steroids to leave someone's system.? The more potent the steroid, the longer it says in one's body, making the user still test positive even if he hadn't used the substance recently.

With the new steroid policy's announcement almost exactly coinciding with Lowell's decline, it's beyond suspicious.? No one said anything last year because Lowell usually struggles after the All-Star Break, but looking at the whole picture, it now actually seems to make a whole lot more sense...

898739[/snapback]

.................../`` /:::::::::::``~,

................../:::,/`'''''''''''``-- ,:::\

..................|::/ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? -|::::|YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!

...................\| ? ????_ - -_??? ?|::/....................... .....................................___

...................-|? ? ??-`|: :| -?? ?|:/|....................... ................................_-~`` ? ? ? \..

...................|;| ? ? ? / ? \ ? ? ? | ;/....... ......................................, ---~`` ? ` ? ? ? ? , /

...................`-| ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?|`............. ................................./` ? ? ? ? ? ?_?,?-````

......................\ ? ?`????` ?,,- |,................ ................. ........./ ? ? ? ? ? ? /_,,__,,

........................`\ ? ? ?? ? /-` / ``~-,.............___... ...... ....../ ? ?'~,,,_? `? ? ? ?`|? ?\

.........................| ?-??? ? /::::::::::::`/``?/?::::::::\... ... .../? ? ? ?? ? ? ?\ /? ? ? |? ? | \

.....................,` :| ?/??\`~,/::::::::::::::/::::/::::/????`-,_,| ? ? ? ? ? ? ? |? ? ? ?/???| ? /

................-~`:: :| ? /::::::\?/::::::::::::::/::/``::::::::::::::::::/ `-_??``~`? /`? ? / / /

....._..-~`/::::::: :| ? /:::::::/::::::::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::/:\ ? ?`-,,--,__/,__/,_, /

.../::::::::/:::::::: :| /::::::::/:::::::::::::/:::::::::\::::::::::::: :| ::::\? ?? ?``~-~--~

..|:::::::: :| :::::::::: |:::::::/:::::::::::::/::::::::::::\:::::::::::: :| ::::::\ ? ? ? ? ? /

./:\::::::: :| :::::::::: |::::::/::::::::::::/:::::::::::::::\:::::::::::::\::::::??~~?|

/:::\:::::::\:::::::::: |::::/:::::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::``~-,_,,_______,__,-'

::::\::::::::\::::::::: |:::/::::::::::/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

:::::\:::::::::\::::::: |::/:::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

:::::::\:::::::::\::::: |:/:::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

:::::::::\:::::::::\::: |::::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/

::::::::: :| ::::::::::\: |::::/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :|

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |:/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

::::::::: :| :::::::::::: |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\

898747[/snapback]

That's quite possibly the sorriest attempt to make a comeback.

No meaningful response, huh?

In defense of Lowell and the whole steroid question.... c'mon, give the guy a break. Mike beat cancer a few years back, why would he put something in his body that some doctors think cause cancer? Also, hitting a baseball is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge. Ask D. Lee right now why he is hitting the ball so well this year. He would answer, and has answered, "I have no idea." He is stepping up to the plate with a clear mind and confidence and seeing the ball.

Mike on the other hand, is stepping to the plate thinking about every single little thing about his swing. He is making changes at the plate. He looks like he is second guessing pitches until they hit the catchers mit. That type of mindset can throw your swing off a split second, or change the position of the bat head by a nanometer. That makes a big difference between a pop up to short and a line drive to one of the gaps.

I may be missing the boat here, but I feel Mike's mental approach is what has changed his AB's. Not the absence of steroids.

In defense of Lowell and the whole steroid question.... c'mon, give the guy a break. Mike beat cancer a few years back, why would he put something in his body that some doctors think cause cancer? Also, hitting a baseball is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge. Ask D. Lee right now why he is hitting the ball so well this year. He would answer, and has answered, "I have no idea." He is stepping up to the plate with a clear mind and confidence and seeing the ball.

Mike on the other hand, is stepping to the plate thinking about every single little thing about his swing. He is making changes at the plate. He looks like he is second guessing pitches until they hit the catchers mit. That type of mindset can throw your swing off a split second, or change the position of the bat head by a nanometer. That makes a big difference between a pop up to short and a line drive to one of the gaps.

I may be missing the boat here, but I feel Mike's mental approach is what has changed his AB's. Not the absence of steroids.

898751[/snapback]

That's sound logic for a season long slump, but in the case of Mike, the timing is suspicious, and it's gone on for more than a season.

Well, if some of you say it's not steroids, and his second half slump got into his head for this year, well, then the man is absolutely done because there's no way he shakes off this season. If it is steroids, then he's done as well, unless he 'roids up just to earn his paycheck, and show the fans that yeah he cheated, but at least he cared. Either way, it's a catch-22. I'll be the first to celebrate the return of Mike Lowell, but I don't think it's coming any time soon.

Yes, his home runs have disappeared, his average is 40 points too low, and his clutch rbi's have been inconsistent.

But for the anti-Mikey people out there, if tonight didnt show just how valuable Lowell is to the team, I doubt you'll ever see the light.

Mike Lowell WILL continue to be the starting 3rd baseman on this team for as long as hes with us. His age and experience, his leadership qualities, his gold glove defense, and most importantly his stellar intangibles and mental toughness make up for any bat struggles he can have.

No matter what his numbers are at the end of the season, if we make the playoffs I know theres not many people Id rather have up to bat with RISP in the playoffs than Mike Lowell. He is a proven winner and a great Marlin.

898491[/snapback]

I don't think I'll ever see the light, then. The trick play was awesome and secured the win for Vargas, but I think you're making a huge mistake in setting that play on a pedestal in ignorance of his horrid offensive season. I won't make that mistake.

In other news, how awesome was Gonzo hitting in the 5th spot last night? He hit the crap outta the ball and walked twice.

All I know is, Cabrera would never be smart enough to pull that off.

898815[/snapback]

Your knowledge of the inner workings of Miguel Cabrera's mind is startling. Is he your friend? Does he call you at home? Are you really his wife and so have this sort of knowledge? Do tell. Or least tell me the mind reader you know.

All I know is, Cabrera would never be smart enough to pull that off.

898815[/snapback]

who cares? is not like this play would need to be done every other game.

898825[/snapback]

Yeah, we did it our one time for the season and now it's done. I don't really think we're keeping Mikey out there for his hidden-ball trick skills.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.