Will Vargas stay in the rotation?

Fishin2004

Everything I have read seems to indicate that Vargas started last night primarily because of the doubleheader on Monday. After last night's solid performance, has there been any indication whether or not he will replace Valdez or Moehler in the 5-man rotation?

I can personally see both sides...on one hand, he's been great as a starter. on the other hand, he would be a great weapon out of the bullpen too, which would allow us to use him selectively in more critical situations. thoughts?

Ummm...Moehler has been consistently bad since the homestand against Pittsburgh three weeks ago.

Another bad outing from him tonight (sabotaging a chance to go on a prolonged winning streak) and I hope he's out of the rotation. At this point in the season, it's what have you done for me lately, not what did you do for me in May?

Vargas hasn't really done anything to show he's undeserving of a spot in the rotation, and we know Jack doesn't mind putting rookies in the rotation (see Dontrelle in 2003). I'd imagine he'll hold onto a spot.

I'm also getting the sense that this might be a very important start for Big Moe tonight.

Ummm...Moehler has been consistently bad since the homestand against Pittsburgh three weeks ago.

Another bad outing from him tonight (sabotaging a chance to go on a prolonged winning streak) and I hope he's out of the rotation. At this point in the season, it's what have you done for me lately, not what did you do for me in May?

898826[/snapback]

If he looses the game tonight I would hardly call it sabotage, I mean they guy has always played hard for us and there is no reason to beleive he is loosing on purpose. Maybe you just choose the wrong word to describe yor feelings I really hope you did not mean "sabatoge".

Another bad outing from him tonight (sabotaging a chance to go on a prolonged winning streak) and I hope he's out of the rotation.? At this point in the season, it's what have you done for me lately, not what did you do for me in May?

898826[/snapback]

If he looses the game tonight I would hardly call it sabotage, I mean they guy has always played hard for us and there is no reason to beleive he is loosing on purpose. Maybe you just choose the wrong word to describe yor feelings I really hope you did not mean "sabatoge".

898830[/snapback]

:banghead

Never did I say it was intentional, but it sure is, by definition, a "destruction of property or obstruction of normal operations." IE: winning.

898826[/snapback]

The question is why would you pick Valdez over him?

Another bad outing from him tonight (sabotaging a chance to go on a prolonged winning streak) and I hope he's out of the rotation.? At this point in the season, it's what have you done for me lately, not what did you do for me in May?

898826[/snapback]

The question is why would you pick Valdez over him?

898835[/snapback]

Because Moehler has shown an ability to come out of the bullpen and be effective (remember the Beckett start in Philly?), Valdez would just be a waste of a roster spot if he's relegated to the 'pen.

Moehler could fill the need for the 6th inning/7th inning guy in ballgames like last night.

I wouldn't mind him taking over for Ish at all, but also I like the idea of having a capable sixth starter.

Dontrelle and Moe seem to be tiring, and AJ has pitched a lot also this year. I like the idea of throwing him in there every now and then to give our guys an extra days rest, especially with all our games the next couple of months.

On a side note, when we start losing games to hurricanes this year, at least we have some extra starters to plug in there. I like our chances in doubleheaders that aren't played in Coors field.

Vargas has been incredible since the call-up allowing no HR and showing good command. Even though I don't expect him to continue his incredible pace, I would like to see him in the rotation over Ish and wouldn't mind some sort of waiver-wire dealing to trade Ish. Villone is our swing-man, so he provides no use there, but he could net us something useful in a trade. I'm confident enough in Vargas at this point to assume he'll at least put up comparable numbers to Ish's career level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.