Furcal and Agent on drugs?!?!?

Boog Sciambi

MIAMI -- Free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal has set a price tag of $50 million over five or six years for his next contract, agent Paul Kinzer told ESPNdeportes.com.

"Things have changed significantly since the free-agent period started. There's only one Rafael Furcal available and whoever wants to get him will have to pay for what he is worth," Kinzer said Friday. "We're looking for a five- or six-year contract, and $50 million is a pretty realistic figure."

Furcal Furcal had previously said he would look for a contract similar to the one Edgar Renteria signed with the Red Sox before the start of last season, worth $40 million over four years.

The 183 players who filed for free agency since the end of the World Series can start negotiating money with all teams starting Friday. Furcal filed for free agency after playing the last six seasons with the Atlanta Braves.

Kinzer said at least five teams have contacted him, including the Braves, and are ready to pay what Furcal is asking.

The New York Mets, Chicago Cubs and Kansas City Royals have already shown interest in Furcal and, according to Kinzer, the New York Yankees have also contacted him to find out if Furcal would consider playing center field.

Depending on who replaces Theo Epstein as general manager, the Boston Red Sox could also join the chase. A move to Fenway Park would mean Furcal would likely not play shortstop unless Renteria is traded.

"Raffy is OK with playing shortstop, second base or center field," Kinzer said. "Just give him a glove and he will play wherever you ask him to."

Kinzer and Atlanta officials will meet again next week, but there is no schedule for further talks.

"There will be a lot of talking now, but I don't expect to sign a contract until the beginning of December," Kinzer said.

After a slow start, Furcal ended the season batting .338 in the Braves' last 78 games. He finished the season hitting .278 with 12 home runs and 58 RBI. Furcal also stole 46 bases and scored 100 runs.

Furcal, who was the National League's Rookie of the Year in 2000, has a .284 career batting average with 189 stolen bases and 554 runs scored.

um isn't this a tad loco?

i wouldn't give him a penny over 3 years 20/21 mil.

sorry raffy, ur not as good as edgar, you may have a canon arm but your not clutch. i say no.

sorry raffy, ur not as good as edgar

O RLY?

Furcal 04 .279/.344/.414

Edgar 04 .287/.327/.401

Furcal 05 .284/.348/.429

Edgar 05 .276/.335/.385

Furcal Career .284/.348/.409

Edgar Career .288/.345/.399

And then there's the 37 more SB he had this year.

sorry raffy, ur not as good as edgar

O RLY?

Furcal 04 .279/.344/.414

Edgar 04 .287/.327/.401

Furcal 05 .284/.348/.429

Edgar 05 .276/.335/.385

Furcal Career .284/.348/.409

Edgar Career .288/.345/.399

And then there's the 37 more SB he had this year.

Exactly! and then you add the 30 errors edgar made at SS last year...i could be wrong but i think that was the most in the bigs. If he isnt bringing gold glove defense i dont want him because he is never gonna be a good hitter with that exaggerated closed stance.

MIAMI -- Free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal has set a price tag of $50 million over five or six years for his next contract, agent Paul Kinzer told ESPNdeportes.com.

"Things have changed significantly since the free-agent period started. There's only one Rafael Furcal available and whoever wants to get him will have to pay for what he is worth," Kinzer said Friday. "We're looking for a five- or six-year contract, and $50 million is a pretty realistic figure."

Furcal Furcal had previously said he would look for a contract similar to the one Edgar Renteria signed with the Red Sox before the start of last season, worth $40 million over four years.

The 183 players who filed for free agency since the end of the World Series can start negotiating money with all teams starting Friday. Furcal filed for free agency after playing the last six seasons with the Atlanta Braves.

Kinzer said at least five teams have contacted him, including the Braves, and are ready to pay what Furcal is asking.

The New York Mets, Chicago Cubs and Kansas City Royals have already shown interest in Furcal and, according to Kinzer, the New York Yankees have also contacted him to find out if Furcal would consider playing center field.

Depending on who replaces Theo Epstein as general manager, the Boston Red Sox could also join the chase. A move to Fenway Park would mean Furcal would likely not play shortstop unless Renteria is traded.

"Raffy is OK with playing shortstop, second base or center field," Kinzer said. "Just give him a glove and he will play wherever you ask him to."

Kinzer and Atlanta officials will meet again next week, but there is no schedule for further talks.

"There will be a lot of talking now, but I don't expect to sign a contract until the beginning of December," Kinzer said.

After a slow start, Furcal ended the season batting .338 in the Braves' last 78 games. He finished the season hitting .278 with 12 home runs and 58 RBI. Furcal also stole 46 bases and scored 100 runs.

Furcal, who was the National League's Rookie of the Year in 2000, has a .284 career batting average with 189 stolen bases and 554 runs scored.

um isn't this a tad loco?

i wouldn't give him a penny over 3 years 20/21 mil.

sorry raffy, ur not as good as edgar, you may have a canon arm but your not clutch. i say no.

If the Mets are in the chase, who knows how much money they will give him, Beltran's contract still makes me laugh so this might be a 1 team race :lol