The "Loria Needs To Sell" Thread

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

Team ownership is not so much about having money, but having the proper leadership skills to set the right tone, hire the right people and designate authority. Seems like you have no problem with Loria's leadership skills. It's his lack of cash you are concerned about. What suggests to you that a person with deeper pockets would do as well or better of a job as Loria? What suggests to you that a person with deeper pockets would be willing to take on losses? Any one who purchases this team is viewing it as much as a business decision more than a way to have fun and reward fans.

I repeat... Major League Baseball will never let an owner into its ranks that will stab them in the back and set a new precedent of increased private funding of stadiums. They'd be rejected before they even walk into the room.

Also, does Loria seem the type to you to admit defeat and sell the team?

I never said I have no problme with his leadership. Infact he and Samson have bungled the stadium talks numerous times. Ex: The trip to Las Vegas. That really hurt them in the legislator, city and public opinion. City officials have gone on and off the record saying the Marlins team of negotiators didn't know what they were doing. So you know what, I think a new owner will bring in better leadership to get this done. A new owner is a gamble I'm willing to take as a Marlins fan.

Except for a handful of teams all the other teams have new stadiums. These stadiums won't be replaced for another 40-50 years. It's a moot point.

Q.

With all the rumors swirling about Beckett, do you really think the Marlins will trade him? Don't they need his arm in that rotation to compete? I find this so hard to believe!

Dave, Tallahassee, FL 11/20/05

A.

Whether or not the trade happens will be determined by what the Rangers are willing to part with. But yes, the Marlins are very serious about wanting to deal him. Judging by all their offseason moves this winter,I don't believe competing is at the top of the team's To Do list. Cutting payroll is.

Kevin Baxter 11/20/0

*vomits again*

I repeat... Major League Baseball will never let an owner into its ranks that will stab them in the back and set a new precedent of increased private funding of stadiums. They'd be rejected before they even walk into the room.

Except for a handful of teams all the other teams have new stadiums. These stadiums won't be replaced for another 40-50 years. It's a moot point.

It's not. What the Marlins can get from South Florida sets a precedent for any time MLB goes to a municipality to seek concessions. That's not just new stadiums. It includes everything right on down to how fast the city is repairing potholes and street lights around a stadium. Lease terms, stadium improvements, infrastructure improvements, expansion some time. MLB has the advantage and is not going to give it up. Not to save Loria or the Marlins.

Guest Moneyball

It's not. What the Marlins can get from South Florida sets a precedent for any time MLB goes to a municipality to seek concessions. That's not just new stadiums. It includes everything right on down to how fast the city is repairing potholes and street lights around a stadium. Lease terms, stadium improvements, infrastructure improvements, expansion some time. MLB has the advantage and is not going to give it up. Not to save Loria or the Marlins.

Why did they let Wolff in Oakland then?

The new Nats owner if going to cough up a pretty penny aswell.

Guest Moneyball

Show me comments from Wolff in which he stated he'd be willing to take on a large responsbibility of the stadium costs.

The Nationals owner is simply paying rent.

I seem to have read a statement incorrectly. I retract my statement.

I do like Loria as an owner! He has done alot for this team in my opinon! Haing said that this team is in serouies jepordary of being moved somewhere else.. It doesnt matter if you have a World Series team out there or a Single A team... I didnt read this whole entire thread but I did come on oen that said there was no stadiums built in those cities... The Marlins have the lease with the stadium here till 2010.. If Las Vegas was told they would have the marlins in 07' I BET ANY AMOUNT of money a stadium would be built by then!!

In my dreams this would be the way it goes.. Loria has had enough because he cant get a stadium and sells the team.. To who??? The south florida man himself Mr. Bacardi! I can see it now... Bacardi field live in MIAMI, FL!