Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LoDuca to Mets

Featured Replies

We have 3 top pitching prospects from other teams that can be spun to other teams now. Still have Pierre and Villone to trade right now.(Villone and Petit/Sanchez/or Hernandez for Reed?) TB and Cincinnatti are both in need of MLB ready pitching, maybe our sights are on Mo Pena and Gathright. I dont want hall but maybe another young MLB ready catcher(Snyder, Closser?). This might work out. I am hopeful for a chance to win the WC in 07, and at least being competitive in 06. I just hope we do better than the Mutts next season.

 

Florida will not be competitive next year. 70-75 wins is likely our target.

While it's pure speculation, spinning one or more of these arms into Wily Mo Pena actually makes sense and would be absolutely great.

While it's pure speculation, spinning one or more of these arms into Wily Mo Pena actually makes sense and would be absolutely great.

 

That really is speculation. After what this ownership has done, what hopes do you have of brainstorming something like that?

While it's pure speculation, spinning one or more of these arms into Wily Mo Pena actually makes sense and would be absolutely great.

 

That really is speculation. After what this ownership has done, what hopes do you have of brainstorming something like that?

 

Well, he doesn't make much money, he fits into what we're doing.

 

And the Reds are willing to deal him.

While it's pure speculation, spinning one or more of these arms into Wily Mo Pena actually makes sense and would be absolutely great.

 

 

We've seen Beinfest's track record with domino deals...don't get your hopes up.

While it's pure speculation, spinning one or more of these arms into Wily Mo Pena actually makes sense and would be absolutely great.

 

That really is speculation. After what this ownership has done, what hopes do you have of brainstorming something like that?

 

Well, he doesn't make much money, he fits into what we're doing.

 

And the Reds are willing to deal him.

Hey I'm all for Willy Mo. He torched us last year a couple of times. His attitude needs to be checked, but the talent is there.

Florida will not be competitive next year. 70-75 wins is likely our target.

 

 

Not being dead-last in the MLB with the absolutely lowest payroll should be our goal now.

Paul Lo Duca - C - Marlins

 

 

Paul Lo Duca has been traded to the Mets for right-hander Gaby Hernandez and a second minor league pitcher, the New York Daily News reports.

Lastings Milledge wasn't an option, so the Marlins are doing pretty well to get Hernandez here. They must not have been too interested in either Anderson Hernandez or Jeff Keppinger as a potential second baseman. Since Lo Duca will earn $12.5 million over the next two years, he didn't have a lot of trade value. We wouldn't be completely stunned if this leads to Lo Duca going to the Diamondbacks in a Javier Vazquez deal, but it's more likely that Lo Duca will be the Mets' regular catcher.

 

 

 

Im saying this again I really like this trade. Im curious to see who the PTBNL is? Is it someone who might get selected in the rule 5 Draft? Or is it someone like Aley Solar/Brain Bainister ? But that is probably doubtful since they are already on the 40 man roster.

 

 

Great Trade

I still like the core of Hanley, Cabrera, Jacobs, Hermida and Willy... just need to fill in the other 3 positions.

And just another dumb observation, the Dodgers didn't win the west in '03, the Giants did, and LoDuca's never played in the playoffs.

 

I think the writer meant 2004. LoDuca's good first half (sound familiar?) that year helped. But it was the performance of Steve Finley down the stretch that led them to the playoffs.

 

More pitching prospects?

 

Whatever. Good riddance I say! Paulie's one of the most overrated players in the game.

I don't have a problem with this trade.

 

Let's be patience, I can't wait to see what other moves are on the table.

OBTW, this now brings our payroll for next year below $22M. :blink:

 

That is sick. But if we could pull off 70-75 wins with a payroll that low, it'd be pretty impressive.

I still like the core of Hanley, Cabrera, Jacobs, Hermida and Willy... just need to fill in the other 3 positions.

 

 

Why is everybody so obsessed with Willingham? He's not even that young and his skills are suspect. The only Willy I care about is Willis.

I still like the core of Hanley, Cabrera, Jacobs, Hermida and Willy... just need to fill in the other 3 positions.

 

 

Why is everybody so obsessed with Willingham? He's not even that young and his skills are suspect. The only Willy I care about is Willis.

Is that you Spike?

as for the guy who said fire Beinfest? He's just following orders "get all payroll cut, I don't care who you get back, do the best you can but get rid of these guys and don't take on salary!"

 

Beinfest will be in another city next year too, someone will pluck him like they plucked Dombrowski.

 

No, he's not. While Loria has been a bit more hands on than most owners. I'm sure he's been given a full responsibility to Beinfest to make the moves Beinfest thinks are in the Marlins' best interests - as explained to him in a brief and flexible outline by Loria.

I just hope that, as I already said, this pitching was acquired in hopes of a few more deals. We have big glaring holes in LF, 2B, C, and in a little while we will have a big glaring hole in CF.

 

Use the Reds and D-Rays weaknesses on the pitching front to do something creative. Same with Villone to the Mariners. The Rockies, if Helton is traded, might need a young 1B, we have Stokes, and they have Closser. A young switch hitting catcher.

 

Things might get better once the winter meeting hit, Admin Beinfest walking up to every other GM going

"Hey dude I got a sh*tload of young pitching what you willin to part with?"

I still like the core of Hanley, Cabrera, Jacobs, Hermida and Willy... just need to fill in the other 3 positions.

 

 

Why is everybody so obsessed with Willingham? He's not even that young and his skills are suspect. The only Willy I care about is Willis.

But to answer your question, some of us feel he will produce if given the chance. Plate discipline has a funny way of yielding results.

I'm confident that after trading Pierre and Villone, phase 2 will bring us, for example, Gathright and Hall, and/or some bargain free agents

Wow...this sucks...

 

I know there is a whole "market correction" - aka "Firesale" going on here, but this cannot be the team the Marlins are fielding next season. I have to think that Beinfest will do some dealing during this week's Winter Meetings to pick up some cheap veterans. No way do we field a team of:

 

C- Treanor

1b - Jacobs

2b - Amazega (or however it's spelled)

3b - Cabrera

SS - Ramirez

LF - Conine/Willingham

CF - Aguila (assuming Pierre is next)

RF - Hermida

 

I just don't see the front office allowing that to happen.... Of the young guys, I'm fine with Hermida, Jacobs, and maybe even Ramirez.. But we need a 2b, CF, and C badly....

 

Beinfest - I'm trusting you, man !!!

Hall would be the wrong choice, and doesn't fit in our team plans IMO. He will be 31 next season, and he doesn't call a very good game.

 

I think there are better options, espicially with the youngness across the board of our staff.

I just hope that, as I already said, this pitching was acquired in hopes of a few more deals. We have big glaring holes in LF, 2B, C, and in a little while we will have a big glaring hole in CF.

 

Use the Reds and D-Rays weaknesses on the pitching front to do something creative. Same with Villone to the Mariners. The Rockies, if Helton is traded, might need a young 1B, we have Stokes, and they have Closser. A young switch hitting catcher.

 

Things might get better once the winter meeting hit, Admin Beinfest walking up to every other GM going

"Hey dude I got a sh*tload of young pitching what you willin to part with?"

 

 

The Rockies have a young 1b named Ryan Shealy that Jason Stokes wishes he could hold a candle to.

Here's the problem with the remaining trade and any Gathright/Hall thoughts.

 

We're in a catch-22. In a vacuum, we actually got pretty good value for LoDuca, but we did nothing to fill an area of need that we'll be creating for ourselves (center, second, catcher) meaning with one tradeable commodity, we have three holes to fill.

 

Whatever we get for Pierre will set the market value for Gathright, and what we've already gotten for LoDuca has set the bar high for Hall. So, to expect us to get these players from teams for cheap, all while getting a bounty of rebuilding prospects is a pipe dream at best.

 

We're not going to have a bounty of young players in return and a chance to reshape the major league roster, it's one or the other, especially in a seller's market, and since we didn't use any of our tradeable assets to directly fill areas of need, we're pretty much stuck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.