Introducing your starting 2B in 2006

Ramp

Kevin Howard, 2b/3b, Reds

Howard has the biggest buzz coming into this year's draft after having a brilliant season in the Arizona Fall League. A fifth-round pick in 2002 out of Miami, Howard won the AFL batting title, hitting .409-3-16 in 88 at-bats. But perhaps his strongest asset was proving himself to be an adequate defender at third base. Howard played third in college, but played primarily second base since turning pro. He's a patient lefthanded hitter with a line-drive stroke, and has shown improved power. Some scouts in the AFL liked him better at third, and Howard could be solid at either spot making him the best overall position player available in the draft. Dan Uggla (Diamondbacks) is another utility player who dramatically upped his stock in the AFL, but Howard's lefthanded bat, which could be valuable off a big league bench, gives him the edge.

I mean seriously, GITRDUN

Maybe this is why we aren't at full 40 man capacity.

In 1988, the Braves drafted a player from themselves. They neglected to protect righthander Ben Rivera on the 40-man roster, had the first pick in the draft and took him.

I just thought that was interesting.

In 1988, the Braves drafted a player from themselves. They neglected to protect righthander Ben Rivera on the 40-man roster, had the first pick in the draft and took him.

That is interesting. Seems kind of pointless, though. Someone please explain to me how this could possibly make any sense.

I still don't know how the order works...Is it same as the Amateur draft? Worst go first?

That is interesting. Seems kind of pointless, though. Someone please explain to me how this could possibly make any sense.

They were afraid someone else would pick him. Maybe they forgot to put him on their 40 before going to Winter Meetings. :D

Teams with 40 man rosters aren't eligibile to pick.. so I'm not sure who that cancels out

I see. And we have five players available in the 40 man roster. How many are we allowed to draft?

As many rounds as they get through. It usually doesn't go past round 1, I've heard. Most ever picked was like 26 or 27. Fewest was 3.