Gathright update

Marlins97+03WC

Talks between the Devil Rays and Marlins about Joey Gathright have been expanded to include more players on both sides, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

We can be pretty sure the Marlins don't have interest in Aubrey Huff, Julio Lugo or Danys Baez. However, Joe Borowski might be a possibility. The Rays are believed to considering non-tendering him, but it's unlikely he'd come any cheaper as a free agent than he would in arbitration. The Marlins might be willing to pay the price to bring him in as their closer. The Rays are also discussing Gathright with the Dodgers and maybe some additional times. Dec. 19 - 2:38 am et

Source: St. Petersburg Times

Here's the entire article. It reads a bit differently when you see the context:

Rays veterans mull future at deadline

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

Published December 19, 2005

ST. PETERSBURG - With a trade of Joey Gathright and potentially others still in the works, and several tough tender/nontender decisions to make, the Devil Rays don't really know what their 2006 team will look like.

But by tonight, they could have a better idea if Travis Lee and Alex Gonzalez will be part of it.

If the veteran infielders accept arbitration by tonight's deadline, they are considered signed players, with their salaries, which almost always increase in this process, to be worked out later.

If they decline, as fellow free agent Eduardo Perez has agreed to, they can continue negotiating with the Rays until Jan. 8, but can talk with other teams as well.

Lee, who made $1.3-million last season, could return as the starting first baseman, with Aubrey Huff (assuming he is not traded) and Jonny Gomes filling rightfield and the DH slot. The Red Sox, however, are among other teams that have expressed interest in him, though as a backup.

Gonzalez, who made $1.75-million, could end up in a third-base platoon with newly acquired Sean Burroughs, as a utility infielder or as the starting shortstop if Julio Lugo is traded.

Perez, a platoon first baseman and valuable right-handed bat off the bench while completing a two-year $1.7-million deal, has been contacted by at least a half-dozen teams and will explore other options, while keeping open the possibility of returning. The Yankees, Indians, Cubs, Padres and Marlins are believed to be among those most interested.

"To be honest, I have no idea what's going to happen," Perez said Sunday. "There have been a number of teams interested, which is good. Now we'll see what the opportunities are."

Japanese reliever Shinji Mori was due to arrive in Tampa late Sunday and will spent much of the next few days getting to know Rays officials and the bay area.

The Rays outbid the Indians and Red Sox for the rights to Mori, but still have to negotiate a deal, which would likely be for no more than $800,000 a year.

Before leaving Japan, Mori told reporters he would like to sign with the Rays while in the area. The Rays probably would like it, too, since they have to decide by Tuesday whether to offer contracts to veteran relievers such as Joe Borowski, Lance Carter, Jesus Colome, Travis Harper and Trever Miller.

"We're looking forward to sitting down with Shinji and his representatives," executive vice president Andrew Friedman said.

Talks with the Marlins about Gathright have been expanded to include more players on both sides. Or a deal with the Dodgers is possible.

DODGERS: Nomar Garciaparra agreed to a one-year contract. A news conference is scheduled for for this afternoon. Garciaparra, 32, who has not played a full season since 2003 because of wrist, groin muscle and Achilles' injuries, passed a team physical last week and reportedly will receive $6-million in base salary with incentives that could make the deal worth close to the $8.25-million he made with the Cubs last season. The former Red Sox shortstop shifted to third last season and could play first or leftfield for the Dodgers, two positions he has not played in the majors. The career .320 hitter will join J.D. Drew and Jeff Kent in the middle of the lineup.

--Information from Times wires was used in the report.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/19/Rays/Ray...s_mull_fu.shtml

I just read somewhere that Wily Mo Pena has or had requested a trade if he wasn't going to get regular playing time. Of course I am aware that they have traded Casey. However, given the fact that the Reds desperately need pitching, and would still have plenty of hitting even without Pena; wouldn't it make more sense to offer Olsen for Pena instead of Gathright? I'm sure they are going to want more than just Olsen, but maybe Olsen and Mitre would do the trick. Just a thought. I'm leary of trading away a top prospect for a lead off hitter without a proven major league track record, and a below average arm. I think we need a big power bat in LF to go along with Cabrera, Jacobs, Hermida, and Willingham.

Hopefully this just means the Marlins woke up and decided shipping off Olsen for Gathright just wasn't smart.

since when did they do the " smart " thing ?

:p

I repeat, there are only two franchises that are not allowed to rip on the Marlins, and you're a fan of one of them.

In every aspect of bad baseball, be it on field suckiness or front office ineptitude, your organization dwarfs ours. Piss off the fan-base with a crappy product? Check. Get outnumbered 4-1 at every Yankee/Red Sox/Met game? Check. Alienate the greatest prospects in our organization (I met BJ Upton the other night, he wasn't too happy with Tampa)? Check.

Listen Rays fan, it's fun to kick a team when they're down, heck, it's the only way a Rays fan can even get a shot in ('cuz lord knows you're not bringing anyone down), but you really need to learn something. There are two franchises out there more pathetic than the Marlins, and you're one of them.

It's called the franchise food-chain, learn it...

Alienate the greatest prospects in our organization (I met BJ Upton the other night, he wasn't too happy with Tampa)?

Upton is projected to be our opening day SS... there is no need for him to be upset, you might have been thinking Delmon Young.. he was upset until new ownership smoothed him over..

:rolleyes:

and I'll probably be here till I'm banned, Iowa.

It's fun here, It's easy to get people angry here.

:lol

Upton is projected to be our opening day SS... there is no need for him to be upset, you might have been thinking Delmon Young.. he was upset until new ownership smoothed him over..

:rolleyes:

Nope,

That's BJ Upton, he wasn't happy. I believe the word he used when referring to not playing for Tampa last year was "joke."

That's BJ Upton, he wasn't happy. I believe the word he used when referring to not playing for Tampa last year was "joke."

he's never said anything about it before... maybe you're his best friend ?

maybe he has talked to the man face to face.....

Yeah, see how far reading comprehension can go?

Any word on Gathright? When will the "man of steal" become a "man in teal"? The Ddoger signing of Lofton has got to be a good thing for the Marlins...one less potential suitor for Gathright.

C'mon Admin...get it done.

Show this board what you're made of bring Gathright, keep Olson.

:notworthy

Any word on Gathright? When will the "man of steal" become a "man in teal"? The Ddoger signing of Lofton has got to be a good thing for the Marlins...one less potential suitor for Gathright.

C'mon Admin...get it done.

Show this board what you're made of bring Gathright, keep Olson.

:notworthy

Olsen for Gathright is a terribly lopsided trade in favor of the D-Rays. Gathright has speed, but he doesnt judge fly balls well, and hit .276 last year with a low OBP.

IMO a platoon of Eric Reed(hit poorly at AA, yet hit well at AAA and is hitting extremely well in winterball) and Chris Aguila could have the same if not better production than Gathright.

You dont trade one of the top LHP prospects in the game for an extremely poor man's version of Juan Pierre.