Goldberg said something interesting...

babaru

Did anyone hear what Hank said this morning? A caller told him he had an a friend working for the county, he said they have reached a deal to build a stadium next to Dolphin Stadium. Hank told him that they are actually closer to working a deal to renovate Dolphin Stadium with a retractable roof. Does anyone have anything to say on the subject? sorry if im posting this in the wrong forum, i cant find and forum for save the marlins.

I don't see how having adding a retractable roof on Dolphin Stadium does anything for the Marlins unless the lease is changed substantially in favor of the Marlins. I hope they're close to finalizing a deal on a new stadium. That would be welcome news.

Agree... This would cost a BUNDLE! The Marlins will most likely listen but doubt they would want to stay there... THey want a baseball only facility..

It isn't just the lease, it's the ancilliary services and control of parking, concessions and marketing (advertising), not to mention naming rights.

The answer may be for the County to purchase PPS itself and then enter into lease agreements with both parties. But at the same time, not making the stadium more fan friendly for baseball - doing something about the terrace box seats, the concourses, etc. - the Marlins will still find themselves playing in a football stadium.

This development would not surprise me at all. I have heard alot of speculation that the silence indicates something is developing. I do not think a roof on JRS is at all practical, certainly for the Marlins, but a stadium between JRS and the Turnpike makes sense for Wayne, The Marlins and the County.

BTW, the different communities rushing to build the Marlins a new stadium is non-existent.

this could be why MLB wanted to come down and speak to wayne and the county last week perhaps?

Stadium next to there and JRS gets it's retractable top that Wayne has been speaking about. A win for dolphins and Marlins. If Wayne wishes to get something done in florida it normally does and it sounds like he wants the marlins here so he can use the parking cash and people at his super complex

A stadium next to Dolphin stadium with a retractable roof would be acceptable putting the roof on Dolphin stadium is not...Do the Marlins want Huizenga as their landlord forever? Plus it is horrible to watch the game at the Dolphin stadium the angles are wrong...A smaller more cosy facility is what the Marlins need a park designed with baseball and its fan in mind...A roof on the present facility is only a bandage on the wound that doesnt solve the hemorraging of the overall finances. It actually would be stupid!

Hank was probably reiterating a blurb in the Herald this morning. It said the same thing--officials are working on a deal for a stadium next to DS...And Huizenga is all for making a retractable roof, but the Marlins do not want that under any circumstances.

Really, the only possibility at this point is the stadium next to DS.

Hank was probably reiterating a blurb in the Herald this morning. It said the same thing--officials are working on a deal for a stadium next to DS...And Huizenga is all for making a retractable roof, but the Marlins do not want that under any circumstances.

Really, the only possibility at this point is the stadium next to DS.

Unless I missed something in the Herald, you may be talking about this blurb from the Sun-Sentinel:

" ...Samson said the team continues to talk with Miami-Dade Manager George Burgess. Talks with Dolphins Stadium owner H. Wayne Huizenga about building near the stadium have not resulted in a deal. And sources say talks are now more focused on having the team remain in the stadium with a roof and touches to make it more baseball-friendly, an option that does not appeal to the Marlins.

"We cannot contemplate a scenario where we would stay in Dolphins Stadium beyond 2010," Samson said."

As far as the bad sight line in the terrace box seats. Bear with me on this as geometry wasn't my best subject in school. But aren't all baseball fields the same dimension, with the exception of the outfield distances. And the terrace box seats at Joe Robbie are close to the field, that's not the problem. The problem is that the seats are tilted straight towards the outfield in the baseball configuration. Couldn't this sight line problem be easily fixed if you put in a new seat with 2 positions. One position as is for football. One ratchet over and they could face home plate in the baseball configuration. Nice and easy, cheap, and you have cozy seats with good sight lines.

As far as the bad sight line in the terrace box seats. Bear with me on this as geometry wasn't my best subject in school. But aren't all baseball fields the same dimension, with the exception of the outfield distances. And the terrace box seats at Joe Robbie are close to the field, that's not the problem. The problem is that the seats are tilted straight towards the outfield in the baseball configuration. Couldn't this sight line problem be easily fixed if you put in a new seat with 2 positions. One position as is for football. One ratchet over and they could face home plate in the baseball configuration. Nice and easy, cheap, and you have cozy seats with good sight lines.

LOL, that has always been what I thought too. It seems so obvious !!! :thumbup

Guest Moneyball

This is very interesting considering a similar topic popped up a few weeks ago where a caller asked Hank about the stadium situation and he didn't say much because he wanted to check with his sources.

You could tear out the lower bowl and make it more circular ala SkyDome and most of the old multi-purpose stadiums. But this would require one team giving up most or all of its season at Dolphins Stadium and playing at a different venue. You have got to believe any construction would be done during the winter-spring because of hurricane season. I don't know what the city's feelings towards the Dolphins are but the OB could be a temp home for the 'Phins. If the Marlins had to play games away from Miami you could see MLB jumping at the oppurtunity and have the Marlins play some games in international venues. If they don't want to be to exotic Orlando's Cracker Jack Stadium is a logical choice, as-well as the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.

The current stadium is fine for baseball. Just add a retractable roof and redo some of the seats as I suggested and it's fine. The field is a bit of a problem for football in September, but it wouldn't be a problem for those late season baseball injuries, ala last year, particularly Easley.......if you had a roof protecting the field from getting swamped. Plenty of parking and an ideal location. In fact, it's better for baseball than football. The football fans are too far away from the field. The only thing that stinks about Joe Robbie Stadium is the lease. Hopefully that's what they're negotiating about. Perhaps Huizenga will redo the lease in return for the roof. Nobody anywhere is jumping at paying 500M in public funds for a baseball stadium....not in Miami, Portland, San Antonio, or anywhere else. Those days are gone, and it's about time as far as I'm concerned. Spend 500M to build more schools.

Ok, so here is the deal about the retractable roof. The Dolphins and the NFL are trying to work out a deal where the Super Bowl would be guaranteed to be played in Dolphins Stadium once every three years. But the NFL wants the Phins to change some things about the stadium, i.e. the retractable roof and update some of the features of the stadium, which by the way, next fall Dolphins Stadium will be home to the two largest stadium HD screens in the world. The NFL also said they would want Huizenga and the Dolphins organization to build some hotel or some outdoor feature close to the stadium for the fans that wouldn't be able to attend the game, but could still participate in the Super Bowl activities outside the stadium. Well anyways, from what I know, Loria was made aware of this and talked to Huizenga about sharing some of the costs if the plan actually went through. Of course a new lease would have to be made and a new contract to as of how to share the cost of parking, concessions, ect... As of right now, I don't know where this plan is today, but I do know that the NFL and the Dolphins are still talking about it, so the quicker that gets worked out, the quicker we find out about the Fish staying in Dolphins Stadium.

Just my two cents...I am all for the Fish staying in Dolphins stadium. I love the fact that it is a pitchers ballpark. I understand that it is not a true baseball stadium, but hey, its worked so far and I would want nothing more than the Fish to stay in this stadium

Why anyone would complain about putting a roof on D.S. is beyond me. Who cares where you play, as long as it is in South Florida.

Puttig a retractable roof on DS might cost less then you think.

DS is fully enclosed, and like the top is all of the same height. I am not an architect so I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem as if it would be too hard.

Guest Moneyball

Why anyone would complain about putting a roof on D.S. is beyond me. Who cares where you play, as long as it is in South Florida.

Puttion a retractable roof on DS might cost less then you think.

DS is fully enclosed, and like the top is all of the same height. I am not an architect so I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem as if it would be soo hard.

Can anyone imagine the noise level that would be generated by 65k people in an enclosed stadium?

:o :o :o

Wasn't there an article (I guess I could try to find it) that opined that Huizenga's quest for use of PPS as a permanent (rotating) Super Bowl had been rejected by the NFL?

Actually, here it is - December 12th PBP:

"'SuperSite' plan put on hold

By Jeff Darlington

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, December 12, 2005

SAN DIEGO ? The Dolphins' long-range plans to enhance the area around Dolphins Stadium with hotels, restaurants and retail shops have been put on hold, Dolphins CEO Joe Bailey said Sunday. Instead, the organization will focus on improving the stadium itself.

Team owner Wayne Huizenga had discussed making the stadium area a "SuperSite," but that plan depended on the NFL agreeing to make the stadium part of a guaranteed Super Bowl rotation. Huizenga envisioned the Super Bowl being played there every four years.

The Super Bowl already is scheduled to be played at Dolphins Stadium in 2007 and 2010, but the NFL has not acted on the request for a set rotation.

"The fact of the matter is, the SuperSite ? the concept, at least ? has been shelved for the time being," Bailey said. "The reason why it has been put on the back burner is because in order for us to be able to do it from an economic standpoint, we have to get a permanent rotation of Super Bowls.

"That was the only way we could justify it from a business perspective."

The plans to enhance the stadiums include the addition of two large, high-definition scoreboards.

"We're really focused on making that stadium a fabulous place," Bailey said. "These are enhancements that we think will create the stadium into what it should be and can be ? and that is a world-class, entertainment sports venue."

Other improvements to the stadium will include widening the concourses.

Huizenga has been talking to the Marlins about possibly providing land for a baseball-only stadium adjacent to Dolphins Stadium. The offer has been reported to be for 15 acres."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont...notes_1212.html

The current stadium is fine for baseball. Just add a retractable roof and redo some of the seats as I suggested and it's fine. The field is a bit of a problem for football in September, but it wouldn't be a problem for those late season baseball injuries, ala last year, particularly Easley.......if you had a roof protecting the field from getting swamped. Plenty of parking and an ideal location. In fact, it's better for baseball than football. The football fans are too far away from the field. The only thing that stinks about Joe Robbie Stadium is the lease. Hopefully that's what they're negotiating about. Perhaps Huizenga will redo the lease in return for the roof. Nobody anywhere is jumping at paying 500M in public funds for a baseball stadium....not in Miami, Portland, San Antonio, or anywhere else. Those days are gone, and it's about time as far as I'm concerned. Spend 500M to build more schools.

Even if you put on a retractable dome on it, JRS/PPS/DS would be seen as in the bottom 10 of all MLB stadiums by most people. The sightlines aren't great, the concessions mundane, the whole experience rather mundane.

A Major League Baseball stadium needs to be near a downtown area to draw well nightly. For a municipality to contribute, it must spark some kind of development in the area to raise property taxes and divert other tax revenue from rival towns. That's not going to happen at the area of JRS/PPS/DS.

I've said it before, but I'd rather go through the whole process, including the prospect of the Marlins leaving town (there are decent markets out there capable of building a quality facility for a reasonable amount), than lock myself of 20-30 years under Huizenga's terms at some site surrounded by parking lots and highways. Even a South Florida fan who wants to see more than one .500 season every 6 years or fully enjoy what Florida Marlins baseball can be would agree. It's a gamble, but in life you have to take gambles to get what you want. The passive and scared become destitute.

That would make way too much sense. Holy McGuyver, nice idea!

I just want the team to stay. I don't want to see Loria simply increase his net worth by 200+million because "we" build him a new stadium.

I love Proplayer/dolphin as is. Great location. A miami stadium would be awful, i will always believe that more fans/revenue come from Broward/Palm than Dade. The baseball experience there is atleast acceptable- and as much as we lose with bad sightlines/coziness I think we more than make up for with ease of access and parking. Plus its awesome come playoff time w/ the extra 30,000 seats.

They have a horrible lease (inherited from the weasel John Henry). This poor lease and lack of traditional revenue (which goes to Wayne) is what hurts them financially.

That being said, a retractable roof baseball only stadium next to Dolphins Stadium would be killa. I just hate being held hostage by current ownership.

LOL, that has always been what I thought too. It seems so obvious !!! :thumbup

Perhaps you guys should think about things practically before you write them down. If you "ratchet" a seat into two different angles you create another problem, the complete loss of "aisles" down your row. Simple geometry. As of now, I bang my knees and legs against those damn armrests and cupholders all the time, now imagine the nightmare of moving an armrest and cupholder another 6 to 12 inches into the "aisle." I'll need reconstructive surgery on my knees after 5 games!