Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Greedy Montana Denies Reports?

Featured Replies

Well I can't say that helps his image much...

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/n...tory?id=2321024

 

""When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

 

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

 

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, turned down the invitation over money, Newsday and the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

 

Bradshaw, who told league officials that he wanted to be with his family, also took issue with the fees, the Chronicle reported. Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money.

 

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

 

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

 

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.""

Why should he be forced to go to a Super Bowl he probably doesn't care about just because he is a former SB MVP?

 

I dont blame him.

  • Author

Why should he be forced to go to a Super Bowl he probably doesn't care about just because he is a former SB MVP?

 

I dont blame him.

 

Did you read it? It's not about him not wanting to go. It's about him demanding 100k.

Why should he be forced to go to a Super Bowl he probably doesn't care about just because he is a former SB MVP?

 

I dont blame him.

 

Did you read it? It's not about him not wanting to go. It's about him demanding 100k.

 

Exactly... That is BS! They ask you to go because ur an MVP and you say no because of MONEY??? YOUR ALREADY LOADED!! The others have reason.. Out of Country and Family.. Montana is a MORON!

Why should he be forced to go to a Super Bowl he probably doesn't care about just because he is a former SB MVP?

 

I dont blame him.

 

Did you read it? It's not about him not wanting to go. It's about him demanding 100k.

Duuuuuuuuuuuur. Yes I read it.

 

If you read what I posted you could infer that obviously 100k was what it would take for him to make a public appearance that he didn't want to make.

 

If I was asked/told to make an appearance and I didnt go I could see myself saying its going to take 100K to get me there (half knowing it won't happen so then they would just drop it).

thats pretty lame, he shouldnt be asking for 100K when hes already being given free game tickets/travel

 

im also surprised that Bradshaw, a former Steeler, wouldnt want to be there

Really lame. He made himself look like an ass. If he did not want to go, that's one thing. However, he should have just said so and declined the offer then. To make it about money really makes him look like a douche.

Maybe 100k is what his time is worth to him? He's not required to go, and if they wanted him to waste his time by going to the event, it would have taken 100k to get him there, because obviously he had better things to do. I don't blame him.

  • Author

Maybe 100k is what his time is worth to him? He's not required to go, and if they wanted him to waste his time by going to the event, it would have taken 100k to get him there, because obviously he had better things to do. I don't blame him.

 

I want 100k to go to school. I could invent the next big thing. That makes me just as important as him.

 

Bad logic, Sandro.

He was in Detroit the entire week, is it that hard to go stand on the field for 5 minutes?

He was in Detroit the entire week, is it that hard to go stand on the field for 5 minutes?

 

Do you know how many appearances, dinners, and promotional crap they probably had to do as well? If the man doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't have to. He has no obligation to the NFL anymore.

He was in Detroit the entire week, is it that hard to go stand on the field for 5 minutes?

 

Do you know how many appearances, dinners, and promotional crap they probably had to do as well? If the man doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't have to. He has no obligation to the NFL anymore.

 

If there was no NFL, there's no Joe Montana. He should've done it. /thread

  • Author

He was in Detroit the entire week, is it that hard to go stand on the field for 5 minutes?

 

Do you know how many appearances, dinners, and promotional crap they probably had to do as well? If the man doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't have to. He has no obligation to the NFL anymore.

Ya I agree. He shouldnt' have to. But he shouldn't have demanded 100k for an appearance.

All he would have done was walk 10 feet and be on camera for 2 seconds... that's worth $100,000? :lol

Maybe 100k is what his time is worth to him? He's not required to go, and if they wanted him to waste his time by going to the event, it would have taken 100k to get him there, because obviously he had better things to do. I don't blame him.

 

I want 100k to go to school. I could invent the next big thing. That makes me just as important as him.

 

Bad logic, Sandro.

Except that they wanted Joe Montana, and they don't give a rats ass about you.

The Superbowl is what made these guys wealthy now show some respect and love for the game and make an appearance like a f***ing man.

He probably didn't want to do it at all, the NFL guy talking to him said "what would it take to get you there," and he threw a ridiculous number he knew they would never match to not have to just outright say "no." When they asked the NFL why he wasn't going, they just relayed the number.

 

I doubt he didn't go because it was only $1,000, he just probably didn't want to go. Would he have gone if it was $100,000? Who knows, 100 G's is a lot for a week's work. But I don't think money had anything to do with it, just a classic game of telephone.

  • Author

Maybe 100k is what his time is worth to him? He's not required to go, and if they wanted him to waste his time by going to the event, it would have taken 100k to get him there, because obviously he had better things to do. I don't blame him.

 

I want 100k to go to school. I could invent the next big thing. That makes me just as important as him.

 

Bad logic, Sandro.

Except that they wanted Joe Montana, and they don't give a rats ass about you.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything? I'm talking about Joe Montana demanding 100,000 dollars just to go on the field for a minute, while everyone else was fine with 1,000.

Who really cares?

 

It's his decision to not go and it's not as if the event was better or worse without him there.

 

And honestly, in hindsight, that's not that far off from what you'd have to pay a lot of non-Steelers fans to watch that game live in Detroit.

  • Author

Who really cares?

 

It's his decision to not go and it's not as if the event was better or worse without him there.

 

And honestly, in hindsight, that's not that far off from what you'd have to pay a lot of non-Steelers fans to watch that game live in Detroit.

 

Swifty you disappoint me. This isn't about him no wanting to go. We all agree that's fine.

 

It'a bout him demanding 100k to be there. Sure it could be a case of telephone (as someone mentioned earlier), but from what I see, that's ridiculous for him to expect 100k to be there.

Who really cares?

 

It's his decision to not go and it's not as if the event was better or worse without him there.

 

And honestly, in hindsight, that's not that far off from what you'd have to pay a lot of non-Steelers fans to watch that game live in Detroit.

 

Swifty you disappoint me. This isn't about him no wanting to go. We all agree that's fine.

 

It'a bout him demanding 100k to be there. Sure it could be a case of telephone (as someone mentioned earlier), but from what I see, that's ridiculous for him to expect 100k to be there.

 

I don't think it was 100K to be there necessarily, it was simply Montana making a hyperbolic offer for his time (which was reportedly being used to watch his son play a basketball game).

 

If someone asks you to stay for an event you don't want to go to and you say "not for all the tea in China" are you being ridiculously greedy? I think that was more of Montana's intentions because I really doubt he needs the money that badly, or for that matter wanted to be there at all.

No way in hell he should be demanding 100K to go to a game many would pay 100k to attend. All he had was walk and take a picture, he can deny the offer, but demanding 100k makes him an unbelievably selfish prick.

Joe Montana is tight.

 

That asking for $100K made me laugh. Hard.

 

I don't blame him. If I was asked to see those teams play in that game, I'd decline too! (bitter)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.