I Know It's Early But...

FutureGM

There was a big discussion about this on AOL for some reason, and the news stations keep talking about this.

Plus, I for one can't wait until this presidential term is over.

Right now the favorites for the nominations are McCain and Clinton. I would hate to have to choose between the two, because I don't like Hillary much at all, and McCain has gone too far to the right in the past two months. Three months ago, I would have voted for McCain without even a doubt, but not anymore.

For whatever reason Rudy Giuliani is a favorite, although I can't see him winning any states outside of the Northeast.

Bill Frist is the Neo-Cons' dream replacement for Bush, but I would be shocked to see him get very far.

Mark Warner is my personal favorite, followed by Joe Biden. Both are more moderate Democrats, and have good political experience.

If the Dems nominate Kerry again, I'm going to shoot someone. He's not a good candidate, and I only voted for him because he was still a better option than Bush. However, if it was McCain vs. Kerry, I would probably go for McCain if his platform isn't too radical.

Mostly I want to see what people's thoughts on their favorites are on here. Feel free to also talk about other candidates that I didn't mention, as I know I missed several.

Id love for Hilary to run. She will definately lose and the Democrats will lose too.

yep, hopefully we can keep the country going on the great track record of this administration! :thumbup

I like Mark Warner, mostly as an alternative to Hilary who I think while a fairly effective Senator, too many people just hate her for whatever reason. Doubt if Obama will run, still a little early for him. I'm luke warm on Bill Richardson. John Edwards could be a good bet too.

On the Republican side I still think John McCain would be a strong candidate, and obviously Guliani... I can't stand Bill Frist at all though. I don't know whether Condi will run or not yet, I have a feeling she might.

Id love for Hilary to run. She will definately lose and the Democrats will lose too.

yep, hopefully we can keep the country going on the great track record of this administration! :thumbup

How do people blindly vote Republican after these last four years? Honestly.

I'd consider voting for McCain, but I'd honestly have to hear him speak more on the issues on the campaign trail.

I dont think the last four years have been so terrible. I dont fall in the OMG this country sucks syndrome.

I dont think the last four years have been so terrible. I dont fall in the OMG this country sucks syndrome.

Oh, okay.

You fall into the "OMG I'm blind to everything syndrome." While your personal life might be great, it's not like this administration hasn't been awful. If you want to turn a blind eye to it, that's fine.

Guest markotsay7

I dont want Hillary to run. The Democrats will lose.

but I seriously doubt her ability to even win the nomination, so its not really an issue.

If Hilary runs in the primaries, she will win the nomination. She would then lose by the greatest margin in history.

Running Hilary would be the biggest mistake the Dems could make right now. The country is ripe for a Democratic stronghold of the presidency, but they need to start out with someone more moderate like Warner or Bayh or Richardson.

I don't know about favorites, but I'd like to see Dennis Kucinich give it another go. He was to only Democrat in the primaries last time that I would have even considered voting for. He had some really good ideas. Just please don't let Hilary run... Please....

All the people I want to run on the Republican side won't run. Although there are a few Republicans I'd like to see run just to try and get them out of their other positions, but oh well.

Right now I'm more worried about our Governor election, where the leading candidate appears to be Kinky... I just don't like the idea of voting for a guy named Kinky, but the remaining candidates are very underwhelming...

McCain has gone too far to the right in the past two months. Three months ago, I would have voted for McCain without even a doubt, but not anymore.

For whatever reason Rudy Giuliani is a favorite, although I can't see him winning any states outside of the Northeast.

if it was McCain vs. Kerry, I would probably go for McCain if his platform isn't too radical.

McCain fell out of favor with alot of far right republicans becuase of his moderate stance on alot of things, I take his current stances as just try to regain that support, I doubt his true intentions mirror everything he is saying right now. I do like McCain alot, I dont expect a radical platform for him.

I like Rudy too, though i would be suprised if he ran for president, wouldnt suprise me to see him run for vice-president.

McCain/Giuliani 2008 (dreams)

anyway, Dems have an advantage in a way going into this next election with this administration leaving a rotten taste in everyones mouth, but running Hilary would be a catostrophic mistake.

I dont want Hillary to run. The Democrats will lose.

but I seriously doubt her ability to even win the nomination, so its not really an issue.

If Hilary runs in the primaries, she will win the nomination. She would then lose by the greatest margin in history.

Running Hilary would be the biggest mistake the Dems could make right now. The country is ripe for a Democratic stronghold of the presidency, but they need to start out with someone more moderate like Warner or Bayh or Richardson.

says whom?

says whom?

I think there was a GALLOP poll (I know there was a poll, not sure who ran it) on potential candidates a few months ago. Over 50% of responders said they would vote against Hilary. Condi had a little more support. The sample group was more Dems than Rep...

If either party puts out a moderate, they'll win. Neither the Republicans or Democrats have enough support right now to be trusted with a strong wing agenda.

Oh, okay.

You fall into the "OMG I'm blind to everything syndrome." While your personal life might be great, it's not like this administration hasn't been awful. If you want to turn a blind eye to it, that's fine.

Yeah the last 4 years weren't that bad. :banghead

Hillary presents an interesting dilemna. Yeah a lot of people dont like her, but the thinking for now is that she has locked up nearly all the dems and just has to pick up enough independants and republicans. Of course she has so many possible negatives that that might not happen. But what intrigues me is that some smart people on the right have warned Republicans not to undeestimate her the way Democrats underestimated Reagan. Her campaining ability dominates most of the other people.

The problem, even if the above was true, is that it continues to fit into this common strategy of "win my base and hope to get enough to sneak away a victory." It's the same strategy of hoping to win the same red/blue states as the last guy and stealing some swing states. It's been a while since someone has overwhelmingly been elected and even Clinton didnt get over 50%(but he probably would have dominated had he not been term limited).

Thats why I prefer a guy like Warner(or Bayh but I doubt it). Warner might have the skills and intangible necessary to really dominate. Anyone who can dominate a red state like Virginia knows something.

As far as the Republicans, no way Guliani gets the nomination unless he does a 180 on his abortion stance. McCain is walking an interesting line, a reverse of Hillary almost. I dont know enough about the Republican party to know whether he is winning over those people who used to hate him or not(I dont know how a guy who has been blasted as much as he has for being a RINO can win the nomination). Im also really locked into the idea that no senator has been elected president since Kennedy, and he lost the popular vote. Ask John Kerry how easy it is to have your voting record distorted and turned against you(which is why I like Warner the most). Of course McCain might be smart enough not to say stupid lines.

The one guy that seems to have amazing charisma and dominates the "guy you wanna have a beer with" person is George Allen. He is also really liked by pure conservatives. I think itll end up being a race between McCain and Allen, both of whom will be legit threats.

Frist stands no chance. Even some Republicans dont like the guy.