Marlins are a lot better than people think

MiamiMarlins1

Lower part of the lineup still needs alot of work. Bullpen is okay, just need to get more stronger in the back end of it. Start pitching is walking alot of guys, and guys like Moehler aint helping the cause.

Aside from that everything else seems to be falling into place, we been scoring runs and been in alot of games.

WOW 6th best ERA I can't believe it. They just need to have eveything working at once and they'll be fine. A young team doesn't mean a bad one. If we were just able to get Gathright we'd be in good shape

That would probably mean no Olsen. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

and not having olsen is a marlins team holly doesnt want to see :whistle

WOW 6th best ERA I can't believe it. They just need to have eveything working at once and they'll be fine. A young team doesn't mean a bad one. If we were just able to get Gathright we'd be in good shape

That would probably mean no Olsen. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

and not having olsen is a marlins team holly doesnt want to see :whistle

:lol and Hermida.

Batting

Jason Repko AVG .333 | HR 2 | RBI 9 | OBP .424 | SLG .569

Gathright AVG .239 | HR 0 | RBI 2 | OBP .364 | SLG .283

Abercrombie AVG .211 | HR 1 | RBI 4 | OBP .250 | SLG .342

Pierre AVG .278 | HR 0 | RBI 2 | OBP .297 | SLG .347

Fielding:

Jason Repko .914 Zone Rating

Joey Gathright .903 Zone Rating

Reggie Abercrombie .889 Zone Rating

Juan Pierre .872 Zone Rating

Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.

Believe me I am not saying Abercrombie is the answer...I am just saying I don't believe Gathright is the answer either. Jason Repko is young enough and cheap enough but getting L.A. to give him up is another story.

Of course they are. They may be young and inexperienced, but some of us had the feeling that this team would be better than everybody was saying they would be.

And btw if anyone is curious, the '98 Marlins were 4-12 after 16 games and these Marlins are at 5-11. However this team has been in more one run games (6) than the '98 squad (4).

You guys are going to find this hard to accept, but the Marlins bullpen ERA is actually the 6th best in all of baseball.

Now, 3rd in ERA and 6th in OPS-against. Still a high WHIP (18th). Shows they're avoiding hard hit balls thanks in part to the defense (compotent ERA and defense-independent ERA are higher than actual ERA).

Th main problem is that we aren't scoring late in ballgames (relief has gotten 2.52 runs, 2nd lowest amount of run support) and our starters aren't pitching deep into ballgames (less than 5 and half innings per start). The bullpen hasn't received much of any support from the rest of the team.

I don't think the bullpen is the main problem so far. Hasn't been great certainly, but errors & baserunning & just bad fundamentals in general have hurt more.

And we've had only ONE game so far where the starting pitcher has lasted 7 innings.

No team wants to use their pen that much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.