Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Moving Willis by deadline makes sense

Featured Replies

Not that I agree with the specifics of the article, but people that think dealing Willis is completely out of the realm of possibility are in denial.

 

 

 

He is THE franchise. Trade the Train and I dont go to games anymore.

 

trade dontrelle and we'll average 15 fans a game..

 

as opposed to the droves that attend now?

 

 

How many games have you gone to this year?

 

What's funnier is this. Put this article away and 'if' we trade Willis midseason ya wanna bet Kenny boy writes an article titled "The Firesale Continues"

 

I am not totally against dealing Dontrelle (see A.J. Burnett and Carl Pavano) for the right package of players but you wanna send him to the Brewers? Then send Prince Fielder back in return. Want him in AZ? Send us Quentin and Connor Jackson for Willis and Jacobs.

 

I am not for dealing Willis but if a team wants to empty their farm system or deal us what is considered a top 10 prospect +, I'd listen....you have to. Anyone here acting as if there is zero chance is fooling themselves....look what we have seen....anything is possible.

 

 

 

Quentin and Connor Jackson for D-Train.......I'll pretend that your joking bro.

If the stadium deal gets done sooner rather than later, we shouldnt trade d-train bc he then becomes the building block to future success. Plus if the deal gets done we can hopefully wrap up willis long term (or at least cabrera)

How many of you would trade Dontrelle Willis for Chad Billingsley, Matt Kemp, and Russ Martin?

 

if not, y?

 

 

I wouldn't.

 

Kemp's too old for the level he's playing if he's to be a true cornerstone in the outfield.

 

Martin's fine but again, not a superstar catcher (where's the power?)

 

Billingsley's definitely the best player on the list, but I believe he's just about as old as Willis and he's only in AA.

 

So really, you're swapping an ace for a potential ace and two very very good complimentary players. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Marlins.

 

This is the one trade, that if it ever does happen, I hope isn't focused on pitching coming back...that's just waiving the white flag.

trade dontrelle and we'll average 15 fans a game..

 

as opposed to the droves that attend now?

 

 

How many games have you gone to this year?

 

 

 

I split a season ticket package for when I'm home during the summer :thumbup

I would be a huge mistake if we trade Dontrelle.

 

Im not so sure about that.... Obviously Im not advocating trading him, but if something real good comes our way, we need to listen to that offer

 

 

I don't think there would be any trade worhty of giving up Dontrelle. No team is going to give us an established big-league star for him since it's probably a contender who would go far D-Train.

 

We would only end up getting "hot" prospects who have little chance of ever reaching Dontrelle's success so far.

trade willis????.....in a word NEVER!!!!!!!!!

 

wait theres one thing i would trade Willis for A New STadium Deal IN South Florida!! :thumbup

I'm in agreement with Swift here.

 

I can see scenarios where trading Willis would make sense but when you weigh the ancilliary consequences and the idea that we'd get so little in return, that's where these types of articles begin to infuriate me.

 

The idea is to build another world championship team HERE, and that isn't accomplished by trading a prized and highly desired commodity for another team's cast-offs and/or second-rate players. Rickie Weeks? Excuse me but so far this season this guy can't sniff Dan Uggla's jock, and certainly not for the $1.2 million he's making. Edwin Encarnacion instead of Cabrera at third? Please, you have to be kidding unless you think it's okay to give up 30+ homeruns a season and 100+ rbis. The obvious conclsion of getting another 3Bman is Cabrera would be next to go, because everyone in the world knows Miggy wants to play 3B and he's not going back to the outfield to embarrass himself again just to make room for some kid who isn't half the player he is.

 

Rosenthal and his ilk seem to believe it's okay to put the Marlins needs second and all other teams first. Trading Dontrelle, for example, is about making the Reds or Brewers better, not about making the Fish a more competitive team. Or his line "The Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels and Cubs all boast strong farm systems. Imagine the Mets adding Willis to their impressive young core. Imagine the Braves getting Willis to go with Tim Hudson and John Smoltz...", again it's about everyone else's needs above ours.

 

So yeah, if the right deal, and I mean one that brings a bonafide, already proven player who above all fits "our" needs comes along, and with enough "star power" (name recognition + stats) to justify the deal and deflect the criticism that will be heaped on the franchise and ownership for moving Willis, I can see him being traded, but short of that, it's just not worth it. Not today, not next season, no thanks Ken.

 

 

Great post. Especially, the last two paragraphs.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.