SA losing out on Marlins bad enough - but to HIALEAH?

Guest markotsay7

Guest markotsay7

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/sto...od.7b4af9f.html

Ken Rodriguez: S.A. losing out on the Marlins bad enough ? but to Hialeah?

Looks like the Marlins are telling San Antonio to go fishing.

Looks like the Marlins may bite the bait the city of Hialeah wants to dangle: free land for a ballpark, and possibly a new business tax to fund construction.

I never thought San Antonio would reel in the Marlins. But then I never thought San Antonio might lose a baseball team to the fifth-largest city in Florida, one renowned for political corruption.

The Hialeah Marlins?

Sounds like the punch line to a barroom joke.

People fly in from all over the world to visit Miami Beach. Many jet in to see Fort Lauderdale. Some come to party in Miami, others to chill in Coconut Grove. But no one ever vacations in Hialeah. Not unless they want to visit an ex-city official in jail.

Miami may have more municipal leaders behind bars than Hialeah. But only because it's twice as big.

San Antonio? Yes, the city has had its share of corrupt officials. But they're not overcrowding the state prison system.

San Antonio is known for the Alamo, the River Walk, the Tower of the Americas. The city overflows with tourists.

Hialeah is known for tainted elections, for re-electing a mayor convicted of bribery. The city has a rich, long history of tainted leaders.

One mayor was convicted of grand larceny, another for racketeering (which was overturned on appeal). A police chief resigned amid a federal corruption probe.

A housing chief was suspended after federal auditors said he'd misappropriated $260,000. A councilwoman stepped down after taking $40,000 for a no-show job at a seaport.

Then there was the city councilman who testified that corruption is a way of life at City Hall.

As Miami Herald columnist Carl Hiaasen once wrote, "Hialeah is another world. The air of graft and deception comes from deep in the soil, like radon gas."

Major League Baseball won't allow the Marlins to consider Las Vegas for relocation. Baseball feels queasy about gambling. But baseball apparently feels no heartburn about Hialeah. Go figure.

Hialeah (pop. 250,000) was once known for its racetrack. But there's been no thoroughbred racing at Hialeah Park since 2001.

In working-class Hialeah, factories are shutting down all over the place. In San Antonio, business is booming. San Antonio vs. Hialeah ? there's no comparison.

As far as baseball goes, Hialeah has one edge: It's located in the same county as the Marlins' present home, Miami-Dade. San Antonio sits 1,300 miles to the west.

Moving across the county beats relocating across the country. But who would come to watch a game in Hialeah?

The Marlins are losing attendance in a stadium on the northern edge of the county. Residents of Miami-Dade and Broward counties pass by it all the time.

But trust me ? I lived in South Florida for nearly 14 years ? not many go through Hialeah unless they have to.

A few months ago, when Marlins President David Samson cited Hialeah as a strong option for relocation, some South Floridians dropped their jaws in disbelief. The rest doubled over in laughter.

Miami Herald sports columnist Dan Le Batard listened with amusement as callers to his radio show suggested names for a new stadium. Among them: Hialeah Park At Your Own Risk.

Perhaps inspired by callers, and by Dick Cheney's shooting accident, Le Batard penned a mocking column about the city.

"When Hialeah lawmakers shoot their friends in the face," Le Batard wrote, "it is never, ever an accident."

There are, to be sure, good people in Hialeah. The city's Web site brags that singer Jon Secada and Columbia space shuttle astronaut Ken Mattingly have roots there.

Hialeah is doing everything it can to become the major league town it isn't. City leaders are talking free land and new property taxes to lure the Marlins. If a firm offer includes a retractable roof stadium, the Marlins may accept. They're losing fans by the thousands in an open-air facility.

Meanwhile, San Antonio's offer ? up to $200 million in tourism taxes ? hangs in the air. The Marlins remain silent; prospects for the team fade.

Baseball has always seemed a bit of a reach for San Antonio. But it's looking better and better to Hialeah. Somewhere in jail, ex-city leaders are smiling.

For having lived in South Florida for 14 years, it's quite deceitful the author doesn't mention the proposed location is located on the western fringes of Hialeah with excellent access to all of South Florida. But then again, why let facts get in the way of a good story.

Meh, it's Ken Rodriguez. He's always says bad crap about other cities that are totally messed up.

He's rarely worth reading really.

I think he's a native Floridian though. Might have that confused with someone else though...

I can now say that the people here who have been saying that Hialeah has changed and improved tremendously are right. I've lived in Miami-Dade County all my life but had actually been to Hialeah maybe 2 times and those 2 times were very long ago. I wasn't particularly avoiding it but just never had reason to go. I had no family or friends there since I had never lived near the area.

I have a friend from work who lives there and always told me the place where you can find anything you're looking for is Hialeah. She would always tell me she could find hurricane supplies that everyone ran out of just before a storm and that there were always places open right after, etc. This Saturday I stopped at her house before the game and it was not what I expected. Her neighborhood is nice and so is her house which was recently appraised at $600,000. I only mention that because some people do think Hialeah is one big slum. I knew it wasn't but I do admit I had an outdated visual in my mind. I was wrong.

I would much rather go to Hialeah than the JRS area. Anyone who thinks Hialeah is worse doesn't have a clue.

Why should you guys care what Ken Rodgriguez thinks about Hialeah? According to you, this ballpark is a done deal already and the Marlins are staying in S. Fla. So I fail to see why you should get your panties in a wad over what some hack in SA writes about Hialeah. If you took the Marlins and a new ballpark out of the equation, and Ken Rodriguez wrote a negative article about Hialeah would you even notice or for that matter care?

It seems to me that your reaction to this guy's article indicates that you guys are still VERY nervous about this actually happening. So, in reality maybe what Ken Rodgriguez wrote might have some truth to it? And maybe this is why the mainstream media in S. Fla hasnt really covered this story the way a serious stadium development should be covered?

Why should you guys care what Ken Rodgriguez thinks about Hialeah? According to you, this ballpark is a done deal already and the Marlins are staying in S. Fla. So I fail to see why you should get your panties in a wad over what some hack in SA writes about Hialeah. If you took the Marlins and a new ballpark out of the equation, and Ken Rodriguez wrote a negative article about Hialeah would you even notice or for that matter care?

It seems to me that your reaction to this guy's article indicates that you guys are still VERY nervous about this actually happening. So, in reality maybe what Ken Rodgriguez wrote might have some truth to it? And maybe this is why the mainstream media in S. Fla hasnt really covered this story the way a serious stadium development should be covered?

Well you tell us. Everytime somebody has mentioned something about San Antonio or the area surrounding the city, you've thrown titty attack after titty attack about it. So why should our reaction be any different from yours?

FishFan24 Posted Today, 09:42 AM: Well you tell us. Everytime somebody has mentioned something about San Antonio or the area surrounding the city, you've thrown titty attack after titty attack about it. So why should our reaction be any different from yours?

Agreed. I'll defend SA to the facts, speculation are a dime a dozen. I lived in Palm beach Gardens for 10+ yrs, and when I commuted to Miami metro I stayed on the turnpike.

I have no beef with Miami metro, well maybe traffic. :mad Thank goodness for the turnpike.

Ken Rodriquez dosen't represent the City of SA or it's citizens. KR mention he lived in Miami metro for 14 years it must be personal. :mischief2

Some reading.....

04-30-06, 03:50 PM: i found this on hialeah. i dont see why ken rodriguez is upset... we might have lost out to hialeah, but so did miami, right? (it should reflect more on miami than san antonio) you think miami didnt like san antonio getting involved in negotiations... look at what some people around hialeah think about it.

"We Are Not Hialeah"

Proof that City Branding Works

Just about every big city has tried in recent years to come up with a brand ? some phrase or image that captures, almost magically, the city's essence. Most of these efforts fail because cities are complex enterprises with multiple constituencies, and it's hard to come up with an image that works as well for tourists as business investors. But never doubt that cities do have images. For proof, look to the Miami suburb of Hialeah.

Hialeah has an image as a striving, colorful, working-class Hispanic community. And it has a large post office, which might seem beside the point except for the fact that large areas around the city are also, for the purposes of sending and receiving mail, considered Hialeah. And that ticks off the residents who live outside the city and do not wish to be considered striving, colorful, working class or Hispanic.

Take the folks who live in the Country Club of Miami, a tony neighborhood where, as the Miami Herald describes it, "gardeners mow the lawns and where the town houses, topped with cherry-colored Spanish tiles, are valued at about $300,000." Country Club residents live in unincorporated Miami-Dade County. But when they get letters, bills or magazines, they're delivered with Hialeah as the city name. "It bugs all of us out here," said one Country Club homeowner. "We are not Hialeah."

And what exactly does the name Hialeah suggest to her? "Traffic. Crowded. No English," she told the Herald. A nearby resident said that Hialeah was thought of as "a lower-class community. It just has that connotation." The Hialeah name even carries over into some incorporated places, like Miami Lakes, where city officials have pleaded for years with the U.S. Postal Service for their own post office so the name Miami Lakes would appear on addresses. One who pleaded the city's case was former U.S. Sen. Bob Graham, whose family developed the suburban community. "We couldn't get Hialeah off our mail even enlisting the services of Bob Graham," one city council member said. "It's an uphill battle."

And the reaction of Hialeah officials to the desire of others to take their city's name off their correspondence? "I don't know why people would be so inclined to think (poorly of Hialeah), " Mayor Raul Martinez said. "We have hard-working, honest people, low property taxes and effective government." These complaints, he told the Herald, sounded to him like snobbery and perhaps bigotry. Still, he said, if others don't want to share in Hialeah's brand, "Tell the post office to change it. I don't care."

Footnote: You can put any place name you wish on your outgoing mail. The Postal Service pays attention to zip codes, not city names. The problem comes with bulk mailers, such as magazine publishers or online retailers, who match zip codes with places. As one non-Hialeah resident said, she encounters this when she's ordering something on the phone. She can assure the order-taker that she lives in Country Village, just outside Miami Lakes, but the database shows she lives in Hialeah. "It's kind of embarrassing," she said. "I guess they think you're lying to them." Posted 4/28/2005

City mage ::::

if some of that smacks as racist... or like something out of the saints sports boards last year... here's the article that ken rodriguez was talking about too.

The Hialeah Marlins? Yeah, this team is really in trouble

who said that this is a done deal?

I still have faith on this getting done, and encouraged

The Marlins are losing attendance in a stadium on the northern edge of the county. Residents of Miami-Dade and Broward counties pass by it all the time.

of all the things to write... how could he possibly say this...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.