Robert Andino's Future

Fiasco518

Any one think they should start having him get some time at other positions? Hes doing pretty good in AAA but Hanleys blocking him at SS and Uggla looks to be the future at 2B. Maybe he could be converted to the OF and next season Willingham takes over catching an Andino goes to LF?

Any one think they should start having him get some time at other positions? Hes doing pretty good in AAA but Hanleys blocking him at SS and Uggla looks to be the future at 2B. Maybe he could be converted to the OF and next season Willingham takes over catching an Andino goes to LF?

So you are ready to call Uggla the future at 2nd already?

Robert's future is probably as a backup infielder. Whether that is with us or somebody else I am not sure. He is one player that I doubt even the organization really has a true answer for at the moment.

You think Andino projects as a backup already?

Robert's future is probably as a backup infielder. Whether that is with us or somebody else I am not sure. He is one player that I doubt even the organization really has a true answer for at the moment.

I never said he was I said he looks to be. Hes been improving every game and hasnt given me a reason to have any doubt so far. But your right it is a little early.

Why move him to the outfield?

I mean, I could somewhat understand doing that if we really wanted his bat in the big club asap, but robbie's hitting has never been anything special. Let him play to his strengths; his glove is the primary reason why he's one of our more highly-regarded prospects. We could work him at 2B if we'd like, but he really doesn't have a whole lot else he could potentially contribute to the club at this time.

If he eventually develops a stellar bat and he's still being 'blocked,' then maybe we can talk about CF, though I still wouldn't like the idea. I'll give you that he does have a good arm for an infielder, though.

That's not an insult or anything, most guys in the minors don't even project to that. I just don't know if the guy's bat is special enough to earn a starting spot, although I never said he isn't major league capable.

That's not an insult or anything, most guys in the minors don't even project to that. I just don't know if the guy's bat is special enough to earn a starting spot, although I never said he isn't major league capable.

He's 22 years old and is hitting almost .300 in AAA. That's damn good. I don't know how the hell you could already project him as a backup infielder.

If it weren't for the need to get more production and power out of third base, it has crossed my mind that if Uggla continues to improve (and I'm not suggesting his ceiling is much higher than we've seen so far this season, I just don't know) perhaps either he or Andino might be considered for third base with Cabrera moving to first ala Albert Pujols.

Every Friday Admin Beinfest is interviewed in the radio pregame show. To my recollection, while he's quick to point out the positives (Ramirez, Willingham, etc.) and occassionally the negatives, he's virtually ignored Uggla's play, leading me to conclude Dan is not considered (at least right now) the Marlins future player at 2B. At the same time, for two weeks in a row he's mentioned Andino.

Maybe I'm wrong doing the math, but putting two and two together I hear him saying Andino may very well be the Marlins second baseman of the future. How and when that plays out I don't know, but I believe Andino has already been penciled in as the Marlins guy going forward.

What impresses most about Uggla, at least offensively, and so far in the early stages of this season is how hard he hits the ball.

Andino is still a kid and may ultimately force his way into the lineup but he has to a) show some more power, b) strikeout less and c) improve his OBP for him to push a successful Uggla out of the way.

Can he do it? Only time will tell. If Uggla winds up the season anywhere near .280 and 20 homeruns it's going to be hard for the front office to make a choice between the two. The Marlins have been in a steady decline in recent years hitting homeruns and offensive productivity and for any defensive improvement Andino may offer, my guess is the Fish go with the guy who can drive in runs and get into scoring position with regularity over a potentially slick infielder even if he hits for a decent average and cuts down on his strikeouts.

Personally I'd like to see BOTH of them succeed, and I think they will. They represent an interesting contrast in skillsets and hopefully both establish themselves as bonafide major leaguers and the two of them find a place on a winning Marlins roster.

If it weren't for the need to get more production and power out of third base, it has crossed my mind that if Uggla continues to improve (and I'm not suggesting his ceiling is much higher than we've seen so far this season, I just don't know) perhaps either he or Andino might be considered for third base with Cabrera moving to first ala Albert Pujols.

Every Friday Admin Beinfest is interviewed in the radio pregame show. To my recollection, while he's quick to point out the positives (Ramirez, Willingham, etc.) and occassionally the negatives, he's virtually ignored Uggla's play, leading me to conclude Dan is not considered (at least right now) the Marlins future player at 2B. At the same time, for two weeks in a row he's mentioned Andino.

Maybe I'm wrong doing the math, but putting two and two together I hear him saying Andino may very well be the Marlins second baseman of the future. How and when that plays out I don't know, but I believe Andino has already been penciled in as the Marlins guy going forward.

i like that idea... cabs probably wouldnt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.