June 2, 200620 yr Never mind the.313 batting average, 63 hits and impressive.985 fielding percentage. For rookie second baseman Dan Uggla, success in the major leagues can best be measured by listening to how flawlessly broadcasters pronounce his name. UH-gluh. Not OOO-gluh or YOU-gluh or even UG-lee, all of which inadvertently found air time this season because announcers were unfamiliar with Uggla, an obscure Rule 5 draft pick who has become one of the Marlins' steadiest hitters. "I haven't heard it butchered since about the fourth week of the season,'' said his father, John Uggla, who watches the Marlins in Tennessee via satellite TV subscriptions. "Everybody seems to know his name today.'' For the record, Uggla is Swedish for owl. But back in February, the Marlins didn't even remember his first name. He was introduced as "Nick Uggla" at the annual team banquet, a mistake rooted in the name of Marlins minor-league pitcher Nic Ungs. "It's Dan!" Uggla shouted to the podium that night as he received warm applause. At the time, Uggla had been with the Marlins for barely two months. The club selected him in the December Rule 5 draft, which meant they had to have him on the opening-day roster or send him back to Arizona. The Diamondbacks obviously didn't think too much of him after taking him in the 11th round of the 2001 draft. Uggla, 26, rose no higher than Class AA in five seasons. "I don't know what the Diamondbacks were thinking,'' said left fielder Josh Willingham, who has watched Uggla's progress since spring training. "That guy can flat out hit and he plays the game hard.'' The Marlins' player development staff believed in Uggla from the start, seeing that he had hit well at every level of professional baseball. Despite the widely held belief among the media that former All-Star Pokey Reese would play second base for the Marlins, the job was Uggla's to lose from the first day of spring training. Reese left the team in March for personal reasons. Since then, Uggla has continued to blossom on offense and defense. Considered a defensive gamble going into the season, Uggla had bonded well with rookie shortstop Hanley Ramirez as a double-play combination. They're not Luis Castillo and Alex Gonzalez, but Uggla has committed just four errors and is among the top half dozen defensive second baseman in the National League. "There's an adjustment to be made at every level and I expect myself to make it. I've made it in every level I've been at,'' said Uggla, a.276 hitter over five minor-league seasons. "I was struggling a little bit at the beginning of the season. It was a little bit overwhelming at first, but I started to slow the game down a little bit and somehow found a way to make the adjustment.'' Uggla started the season batting sixth in the order and hit.253 in April. But after being moved to the second spot when Jeremy Hermida was out with a sore leg, Uggla got comfortable and hit.356 in May. "Danny has taken a great liking to (batting second) and he's done a great job. Right now, we'll stick to him batting second,'' said manager Joe Girardi, who also likes Uggla's ability to hit to the opposite field and execute the hit-and-run. "And he shows patience, too.'' Girardi certainly knows his second baseman's name, but he'll often call him Ooo-gluh, which makes John Uggla chuckle. "There was one announcer on ESPN ? I forget his name ? and the guy expressly drew it out. I think he knew how to pronounce it but he was calling him 'Ooo-gla.' At first I got a little ticked then I realized he was playing with it,'' John Uggla said. "Hey, if Daniel keeps making the progress he's been making, they'll remember it for a long time.'' http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_0602.html
June 2, 200620 yr uggla is pretty good. I think he is better then Pokey Reese so Im glad that he plays second base for the Marlins he can hit the ball pretty good except he doesnt have no power thats all.
June 2, 200620 yr uggla is pretty good. I think he is better then Pokey Reese so Im glad that he plays second base for the Marlins he can hit the ball pretty good except he doesnt have no power thats all. no power compared to what?? his 6 homers and 28 rbi put him well above the league average for second basemen. his slugging of .468 is nothing to write home about but, again, for a second baseman, is not bad
June 2, 200620 yr uggla is the gritty type of a player that helps teams win championships . I doubt the guy will get the attention his play deserves but i suspect in a couple years he will helps us win number 3
June 2, 200620 yr I seem to recall the last gritty type no name player that we had start at 2B, and his efforts remind me a lot of him...Craig Counsell.
June 2, 200620 yr uggla is pretty good. I think he is better then Pokey Reese so Im glad that he plays second base for the Marlins he can hit the ball pretty good except he doesnt have no power thats all. I guess Reggie's a small-ball player then, with his 3 compared to Uggla's 6 HRs.
June 2, 200620 yr I seem to recall the last gritty type no name player that we had start at 2B, and his efforts remind me a lot of him...Craig Counsell. i like the comparison. Counsell's great.
June 2, 200620 yr I seem to recall the last gritty type no name player that we had start at 2B, and his efforts remind me a lot of him...Craig Counsell. You stole my post! Anyway, I agree... I think Uggla is like a Craig Counsell with a better bat and less speed.
June 2, 200620 yr I seem to recall the last gritty type no name player that we had start at 2B, and his efforts remind me a lot of him...Craig Counsell. You stole my post! Anyway, I agree... I think Uggla is like a Craig Counsell with a better bat and less speed. ...and he's shorter, and he doesn't have that goofy Craig Counsell swing and he...ahhh...and...ahhh...gee I guess he isn't anything like Craig Counsell.
June 2, 200620 yr I guess most of us have to apoligiouse for bashing Girardi for putting him on 2nd at bat.
June 2, 200620 yr I seem to recall the last gritty type no name player that we had start at 2B, and his efforts remind me a lot of him...Craig Counsell. You stole my post! Anyway, I agree... I think Uggla is like a Craig Counsell with a better bat and less speed. ...and he's shorter, and he doesn't have that goofy Craig Counsell swing and he...ahhh...and...ahhh...gee I guess he isn't anything like Craig Counsell. and he has more power.
June 2, 200620 yr He has played great. Hitting in front of Miggy helps. I hope he can keep this up with Jacobs is in the 3-hole.
June 2, 200620 yr I guess most of us have to apoligiouse for bashing Girardi for putting him on 2nd at bat. I dont recall anyone bashing him for hitting him 2nd.
June 2, 200620 yr Don't make me have to link the game threads of Marlins first 15 games! All your going to find is Hermida hittind 2nd.
June 2, 200620 yr But I thought Hermida only played 10 games before he got injure. :plain alright then show me where people bashed Girardi for batting Uggla 2nd.
June 2, 200620 yr I guess most of us have to apoligiouse for bashing Girardi for putting him on 2nd at bat. I dont recall anyone bashing him for hitting him 2nd. I bashed Girardi for putting Uggla in the 2-hole. I'm not sure if I did it publicly on this board, but I was not in favor of it. Not because I don't like Uggla, but because I feel that the 2-hole is better suited for someone with a bit more speed, like Hanley or Hermida. IMO, Hanley is the PERFECT 2-hole hitter. He is doing so well leading off that I'm not advocating him to be moved, but I think he is the perfect mix of power/speed for the 2-hole. Having a guy in front of Cabs with power, that can steal bases, and that gets on base at a good clip makes Cabs that much more dangerous. Also, the fact that Hermida has more speed than Uggla, is projected to be a walk machine, and is a lefty (giving us a R- L - R one, two three with Hanley, Hermida, and Cabs) makes me think Hermida is a better fit in the 2-hole. I think for the long-term improvement of our team, Uggla is probably not best suited for the two-hole. Ideally, he'd bat 6th or 7th on my "dream lineup." But, if he keeps hitting like he has been, they can pretty much stick him anywhere in the lineup and I'll keep my mouth shut.
June 2, 200620 yr Uggla has been an excellent addition to this team. I have been very impressed with his play so far this year. As for the comparisons to Counsell, right now Uggla looks a lot better than Craig ever did.
June 2, 200620 yr I guess most of us have to apoligiouse for bashing Girardi for putting him on 2nd at bat. I dont recall anyone bashing him for hitting him 2nd. I bashed Girardi for putting Uggla in the 2-hole. I'm not sure if I did it publicly on this board, but I was not in favor of it. Not because I don't like Uggla, but because I feel that the 2-hole is better suited for someone with a bit more speed, like Hanley or Hermida. IMO, Hanley is the PERFECT 2-hole hitter. He is doing so well leading off that I'm not advocating him to be moved, but I think he is the perfect mix of power/speed for the 2-hole. Having a guy in front of Cabs with power, that can steal bases, and that gets on base at a good clip makes Cabs that much more dangerous. Also, the fact that Hermida has more speed than Uggla, is projected to be a walk machine, and is a lefty (giving us a R- L - R one, two three with Hanley, Hermida, and Cabs) makes me think Hermida is a better fit in the 2-hole. I think for the long-term improvement of our team, Uggla is probably not best suited for the two-hole. Ideally, he'd bat 6th or 7th on my "dream lineup." But, if he keeps hitting like he has been, they can pretty much stick him anywhere in the lineup and I'll keep my mouth shut. I found one of your Uggla bashing post. Well it wasn't really bashing but it did made him look bad. DelGOT2Rings Apr 12 2006, 12:43 PM Post #11 "Ugh...no Hermida?!?! Let's hope the young guys who don't always get a chance show us some hustle. I don't mind Reed at the top of the order. At least it prevents us from having 5-8 of Uggla/Aguila/Abercrombie/Reed....man is that scary! " No one seem to know Uggla even exist during that time, no one seem to know any Marlins players name, #, and position at the same time during the beggining of April. I'm starting to find some Uggla bashing post though around April 15-25. I'll post when I get a long list.
June 3, 200620 yr I only seem to find a lot of post of underestimating Uggla skills and nothing big like what Herge is famous for. 1/3 of the post of Uggla is not a big player is from DelGOT2Rings. But yeah no uggg Uggla :plain kind of post. I sworn I remember there was more hatred Uggla post in the pass but I guess wth a lot of Marlins stupid errors in the pass and Marlins finding new ways of lossing games in the pass must of gotten in my head. So I admit it wasn't that bad for Uggla back then.
June 3, 200620 yr I only seem to find a lot of post of underestimating Uggla skills and nothing big like what Herge is famous for. 1/3 of the post of Uggla is not a big player is from DelGOT2Rings. But yeah no uggg Uggla :plain kind of post. I sworn I remember there was more hatred Uggla post in the pass but I guess wth a lot of Marlins stupid errors in the pass and Marlins finding new ways of lossing games in the pass must of gotten in my head. So I admit it wasn't that bad for Uggla back then. Mmmhmmm
June 3, 200620 yr I guess most of us have to apoligiouse for bashing Girardi for putting him on 2nd at bat. I dont recall anyone bashing him for hitting him 2nd. I bashed Girardi for putting Uggla in the 2-hole. I'm not sure if I did it publicly on this board, but I was not in favor of it. Not because I don't like Uggla, but because I feel that the 2-hole is better suited for someone with a bit more speed, like Hanley or Hermida. IMO, Hanley is the PERFECT 2-hole hitter. He is doing so well leading off that I'm not advocating him to be moved, but I think he is the perfect mix of power/speed for the 2-hole. Having a guy in front of Cabs with power, that can steal bases, and that gets on base at a good clip makes Cabs that much more dangerous. Also, the fact that Hermida has more speed than Uggla, is projected to be a walk machine, and is a lefty (giving us a R- L - R one, two three with Hanley, Hermida, and Cabs) makes me think Hermida is a better fit in the 2-hole. I think for the long-term improvement of our team, Uggla is probably not best suited for the two-hole. Ideally, he'd bat 6th or 7th on my "dream lineup." But, if he keeps hitting like he has been, they can pretty much stick him anywhere in the lineup and I'll keep my mouth shut. I found one of your Uggla bashing post. Well it wasn't really bashing but it did made him look bad. DelGOT2Rings Apr 12 2006, 12:43 PM Post #11 "Ugh...no Hermida?!?! Let's hope the young guys who don't always get a chance show us some hustle. I don't mind Reed at the top of the order. At least it prevents us from having 5-8 of Uggla/Aguila/Abercrombie/Reed....man is that scary! " No one seem to know Uggla even exist during that time, no one seem to know any Marlins players name, #, and position at the same time during the beggining of April. I'm starting to find some Uggla bashing post though around April 15-25. I'll post when I get a long list. I didn't think Uggla was gonna hit a point above .260 and I was complaining that the FO did not adequately set us up for rebuildoing without a legitimate 2B or CF prospect. I'm sure most people here thought Andino would be our 2B before long.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.