My Personal Apologies to DLEE

FreshFish

D. Lee's traditional second half surge (albeit late this year) makes him valuable trade bait. Encarnacion will be less valuable but one of them may be traded because Conine (or a successful Spring Training prospect) can cover for either of them. But, (in my ignorance) what kind of player would we trade for without adding salary? It's going to be an interesting winter!

p.s. I have been a D. Lee supporter all season and three weeks ago called for him to switch line-up positions with Conine (fourth and sixth).

Encarnacion seems like the perfect player for the Marlins. He doesn't do enough to get noticed, but he's solid.

Lee is a superior player, but I don't think the Marlins can afford to keep him on.

Encarnacion shouldn't be nearly as expensive.

neither are the perfect Marlins player because they'll make too much money next year. Perfect Marlins players are Cabrera, Beckett, Dontrelle, Castro, etc...

Most projections I've seen have Lee around 6.5 or 7 million next year, while Encarnacion could get around 5. Tough call. Lee's hit more homers, but they're pretty close in RBI, average, both good defensively.

Encarnacion seems like the perfect player for the Marlins. He doesn't do enough to get noticed, but he's solid.

Lee is a superior player, but I don't think the Marlins can afford to keep him on.

Encarnacion shouldn't be nearly as expensive.

neither are the perfect Marlins player because they'll make too much money next year. Perfect Marlins players are Cabrera, Beckett, Dontrelle, Castro, etc...

Most projections I've seen have Lee around 6.5 or 7 million next year, while Encarnacion could get around 5. Tough call. Lee's hit more homers, but they're pretty close in RBI, average, both good defensively.

So, by your estimates, and those numbers are in a range I've heard/seen as well (I've seen Lee as high as $8 mil), between the two players there's $12 million in salary.

Hmmm...

The Marlins are believed to be $30 million short next year to keep the team together. Two players, for one reason or another both expendable. With a glut of players expected to be available in '04.

Hmmm...

That's why I said above they are both gone. Two players, $12 million.

I respect them both, but I won't shed a tear if neither are wearing teal next year.

Loathe as I am to disagree with of you guys (Das and Jburqe), there just isn't enough savings by jettisoning Castillo to keep Lee and most of the rest of the team intact. Unless he finds a home in St. Louis (with his best buddy Renteria) I think the chances are good he'll sign a multi-year deal with The Fish. On the otherhand, it may be all three (Castillo, Lee and Encarnacion) are gone.

Lee returns next year provided he doesnt demand more than 8 million.

The team will look to save money in other areas, specifically second.

Lee couldnt "demand" the money right?

the arbitrator would let us know i believe.... The way arbitration works is:

Each side makes a presentation to the arbitrator, making the case for their dollar figure. The arbitrator must pick one # or the other. Lee will ask for the moon, the Fish will offer something less and one will win. There is no middle ground.

yep, anything's possible. I am holding out hope that some solutions can be found, and I do think there's some ways to be creative without a mass exodus of players. Obviously if some players want to stick around they're going to have to accept a little bit under what other teams might pay. Lack of state tax, staying home, etc, might help make that possible in some cases. I just wish some of these guys got "reasonable" raises instead of getting their salary doubled...

It is good to see everyone coming around on Lee. But he is a 2nd half player, has been pretty much every year past. I have always liked this guy, but he has been disappointing with his offense from time to time. That said, Encarnacion was supposed to blow up this year - remember Bill Robinson's statement to start this season? Enc has put up good RBI totals though, for a guy who, when I watch games, seems to be invisible. Those double totals remind me of Lowell though...I would hate to see us give up on ENc so soon. He may explode next season, he has all the tools. I think he just needs to shorten his swing, a minor adjustment like that could be all the difference.

I have a feeling that if the Marlins make the postseason, they will do very, very good. Remember last time the Marlins were in the postseason - they opened against the Giants then too. And if the Marlins do well, you may see this team kept together, despite the money. At the very least, you will see either Lee or Castillo return. But we still have to sign Burnett and Lowell - both top priorities.

It is good to see everyone coming around on Lee. But he is a 2nd half player, has been pretty much every year past. I have always liked this guy, but he has been disappointing with his offense from time to time. That said, Encarnacion was supposed to blow up this year - remember Bill Robinson's statement to start this season? Enc has put up good RBI totals though, for a guy who, when I watch games, seems to be invisible. Those double totals remind me of Lowell though...I would hate to see us give up on ENc so soon. He may explode next season, he has all the tools. I think he just needs to shorten his swing, a minor adjustment like that could be all the difference.

I have a feeling that if the Marlins make the postseason, they will do very, very good. Remember last time the Marlins were in the postseason - they opened against the Giants then too. And if the Marlins do well, you may see this team kept together, despite the money. At the very least, you will see either Lee or Castillo return. But we still have to sign Burnett and Lowell - both top priorities.

Actually this season he was doing close to the same pre as post ASB. He has just stepped it up big time in Lowell's absence. (1.116OPS in Sept) skewing the post-ASB numbers.